PDA

View Full Version : Queens v Morton Saturday 29th Feb

johnny_dumfries
26-02-2020, 07:35 AM
Great win for Morton away at Ayr United last night.

That’s 7 games unbeaten in the league for Morton now.
We somehow need to kick start out season with a win against them this Saturday at Palmerston.

When was the last time Queens played 5 Saturday games in February ?

palmylad
26-02-2020, 08:18 AM
Great win for Morton away at Ayr United last night.

That’s 7 games unbeaten in the league for Morton now.
We somehow need to kick start out season with a win against them this Saturday at Palmerston.

When was the last time Queens played 5 Saturday games in February ?

Five Saturday’s in February only ever happens once every 28 years. Queens last played on 29th February back in season 1991/92 when they lost 3–1 at home to Stenhousemuir.

palmylad
26-02-2020, 08:30 AM
February results from 28 years ago - season 1991/92.

Feb 1st - Dumbarton 3 , Queens 1 ( Hetherington ) attendances 627

Feb 8th - Queens 3 ( A.Thomson 2 & J. McGuire ) Albion Rovers 0 attendance 624

Feb 15th - Brechin City 1 , Queens 1 ( Smythe ) attendance 300

Feb 22nd - East Fife 5 , Queens 1 ( McKeown ) attendance 720

Feb 29th - Queens 1 ( A.Thomson ) , Stenhousemuir 3 attendance 506

jardi
26-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Massive game on Saturday for Queens, but every game should be treated as a cup final from now on, - because believe me, all the other teams will be doing exactly the same.

There is no place for half heartedness on the field or on the touch line.

King Dobbie
26-02-2020, 10:07 AM
Surely ever game from the start of the season should be played as a 'cup Final' not waiting until the club in a relegation fight....

Spikefaethesouth
26-02-2020, 11:08 AM
All I ask is for full commitment from all the players selected along with a clear attack minded strategy from the management team.

JRSLEFTPEG
26-02-2020, 11:43 AM
February results from 28 years ago - season 1991/92.

Feb 1st - Dumbarton 3 , Queens 1 ( Hetherington ) attendances 627

Feb 8th - Queens 3 ( A.Thomson 2 & J. McGuire ) Albion Rovers 0 attendance 624

Feb 15th - Brechin City 1 , Queens 1 ( Smythe ) attendance 300

Feb 22nd - East Fife 5 , Queens 1 ( McKeown ) attendance 720
I
Feb 29th - Queens 1 ( A.Thomson ) , Stenhousemuir 3 attendance 506 I was at all of these games . We were actually a lot worse then. What a thought !!!

JRSLEFTPEG
26-02-2020, 11:46 AM
If we do set up to attack ( surely to hell we must) then Johnson will have to make a decision on what one to bench in Devine, Semple and Kilday . We can't have three centre backs playing and say we are going for it.

Ftivano1
26-02-2020, 12:41 PM
Had long forgotten about David Smythe and that was his only goal in 10 appearances.

King Dobbie
26-02-2020, 12:44 PM
If we do set up to attack ( surely to hell we must) then Johnson will have to make a decision on what one to bench in Devine, Semple and Kilday . We can't have three centre backs playing and say we are going for it.

Going by last week's performance it should be easy for the manager to select his two centre backs for Saturday. He must start his own 2 players in Kilday & Semple. Kilday is Mr consistent & Semple has come back with determination to cement a place in the heart of the Queens defence, a place he should occupy until another Higher league team comes calling, Our club should benifit from his ability while he is here.

Spikefaethesouth
26-02-2020, 12:45 PM

Devine struggled badly last week against Dundee before being hooked so suspect that he will be warming the bench. I prefer 442 as the wingback did not get forward enough last time out but this formation may depend upon the availability of Murray and others.

deek5trans
26-02-2020, 02:35 PM
Can you remember last season when we were in a similar dire situation against Morton Naysmith put on 7 defenders on a midweek away match and subsequently lost.

My guess would be AJ starts defensive, tries to contain them in the first half then if all goes well switch to more attacking in the 2nd when they in theory tire.

ALBERTZ_11
26-02-2020, 03:28 PM
Referee...Euan Anderson

AR1...Gary Hilland

AR2...Michael Addy

Did no one see my match thread further down?

johnny_dumfries
27-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Can you remember last season when we were in a similar dire situation against Morton Naysmith put on 7 defenders on a midweek away match and subsequently lost.

My guess would be AJ starts defensive, tries to contain them in the first half then if all goes well switch to more attacking in the 2nd when they in theory tire.

I wonder if AJ will get a hard time at tonight’s AGM ?

King Dobbie
27-02-2020, 03:06 PM

Probably not..... Sure he will give usual "need to tighten up at the back & take our chances nothing between the teams,we are losing games we should be winning."

deek5trans
27-02-2020, 03:42 PM
Rarely ever gets spicy from going in the past.

Guessing a question that might be asked is why he's not been playing and starting with Semple and Hamilton.

King Dobbie
27-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Rarely ever gets spicy from going in the past.

Guessing a question that might be asked is why he's not been playing and starting with Semple and Hamilton.

Sure he will be expecting that question and will have an excuse already prepared...

Ftivano1
27-02-2020, 05:57 PM

Will be very surprised if he does the AGM is usually a damp squib tbh

Ftivano1
28-02-2020, 11:11 AM
All I ask is for full commitment from all the players selected along with a clear attack minded strategy from the management team.
Really need three points against the in - form Morton as we then have THREE AWAY games in a week - Tuesday Partick, Saturday Dunfermline and Tuesday Inverness - on current form cannot see many points being picked up at these venues tbh but we live in hope - come on Queens !

jardi
28-02-2020, 12:35 PM
Now is the time for the talking to stop and the hard work to begin.

Sadly, Queens are not the fittest team, (sorry the most least fit team in the league,) - and that may haunt them, - particularly this 4 game spell.

Best course of action is to take their early chances and make them count, and play subs early to spare people like Dobbie.

We simply cannot afford to keep playing the maestro for 90 minutes, - if we do, his hamstring will play up.

King Dobbie
28-02-2020, 12:39 PM
The next 5 games in 13 days, weather permiting will definitely let us know where we stand in the league.

ALBERTZ_11
28-02-2020, 04:12 PM
The next 5 games in 13 days, weather permiting will definitely let us know where we stand in the league.

Will definitely make or break Queens season...

aloreburn
29-02-2020, 06:49 AM

Absolutely mate but we need to take one game at a time. A win today is ***** and will set us up nicely for Partick on Tuesday night. Just hope I remember it as in hospitality today.

JRSLEFTPEG
29-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Crucial two weeks coming up that will make or brake us. We must go for three points today for starters . Hopefully we will be putting congratulation posts on later.

Sane_Man
29-02-2020, 05:01 PM
Brutal.

Spikefaethesouth
29-02-2020, 05:30 PM
One word description about today's performance-abject.

Bagapapa
29-02-2020, 05:36 PM
Is anyone Really that surprised?

lcfc57
29-02-2020, 06:13 PM
If AJ remains as manager we won’t get another point this season

Dobmeister
29-02-2020, 06:19 PM
Totally gutless today. One point from our last 7 home league games. Utterly pathetic.

deek5trans
29-02-2020, 06:23 PM
Finally plays the team we wanted and we get this.
Tbf conditions were as bad as they could be but there is two teams on the park so can't use that as a excuse.

We want to send Livingston their keeper back. The fourth goal especially was not even amateur level.

King Dobbie
29-02-2020, 06:26 PM
Need to give Leighfield a chance...

Spikefaethesouth
29-02-2020, 07:04 PM

Let's not fool ourselves as it is more than a change of keeper that's required if we are to avoid the drop.

Ftivano1
29-02-2020, 07:22 PM
Did Mercer start with an injury before eventually going off as he got turned inside - out by Cadden so easily it was embarrassing. Morton
well worth their victory against a shambolic Queens performance - raging after that feckless display made worse by getting soaked to the breek erse walking back to the toon centre. F - - - knows where we go from here !

deek5trans
29-02-2020, 07:31 PM
Mercer always gets found wanting every time a team does their homework and get a player to set about him.

He's been the weak link in defence since he's been here.

jardi
29-02-2020, 07:44 PM
If that's the best a manager can do after an AGM , - then God help us. The Morton no 19 took the piss out of Queens and tactically we should have tried putting Holt on him, rather than allowing him to rule the roost.

Yes the conditions were utterly appalling, - but Morton weathered the storm, and we didn't take advantage of the squall that hit Palmy around 4.20.

I think Johnston has taken us as far as he can, it's time to hand the reins over to Willie Gibson, - to give a local lad a chance to inject some passion into the team. He certainly can't do any worse.

I honestly cannot believe that Queen of the South played with so little passion in front of their own supporters, - it was almost as though they were deliberately trying to be relegated.

Why did we not have 2 attackers on the half way line at every Morton corner in the 2nd half? With that wind the keeper could have scored from his own 18 yard area!

And talking of keepers he had an absolute howler today.

Francis_begbie_HFC
29-02-2020, 07:53 PM
If that's the best a manager can do after an AGM , - then God help us. The Morton no 19 took the piss out of Queens and tactically we should have tried putting Holt on him, rather than allowing him to rule the roost.

Yes the conditions were utterly appalling, - but Morton weathered the storm, and we didn't take advantage of the squall that hit Palmy around 4.20.

I think Johnston has taken us as far as he can, it's time to hand the reins over to Willie Gibson, - to give a local lad a chance to inject some passion into the team. He certainly can't do any worse.

I honestly cannot believe that Queen of the South played with so little passion in front of their own supporters, - it was almost as though they were deliberately trying to be relegated.

Why did we not have 2 attackers on the half way line at every Morton corner in the 2nd half? With that wind the keeper could have scored from his own 18 yard area!

alan johnston has to go agree but what about the people who pay his wages ? the same people that gave him a relegation budget ,well jardi you get what you pay for and looks like queens are getting just that .

ALBERTZ_11
29-02-2020, 08:14 PM

Yet I got shot down in flames during the week for suggesting the same thing...

ALBERTZ_11
29-02-2020, 08:15 PM
Did Mercer start with an injury before eventually going off as he got turned inside - out by Cadden so easily it was embarrassing. Morton
well worth their victory against a shambolic Queens performance - raging after that feckless display made worse by getting soaked to the breek erse walking back to the toon centre. F - - - knows where we go from here !

You should have stayed for the calamitous 4th goal instead...

aloreburn
29-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Yet I got shot down in flames during the week for suggesting the same thing...

Grow up , stop being so immature child.

Francis_begbie_HFC
29-02-2020, 08:20 PM

the massiah has spoken albertz lol.

deek5trans
29-02-2020, 08:20 PM
We gave Johnston a garbage budget, scraped by till Christmas, lost three first team players two of quality, had a terrible January transfer window and as a result the manager now found wanting.

As Francis says the manager isn't entirely to blame.
Gone are the days of a AJ on the deck attacking team which he used to play.

ALBERTZ_11
29-02-2020, 08:25 PM

Piss Off

ALBERTZ_11
29-02-2020, 08:26 PM
the massiah has spoken albertz lol.

Yes, FB so I see...

ALBERTZ_11
29-02-2020, 08:27 PM
We gave Johnston a garbage budget, scraped by till Christmas, lost three first team players two of quality, had a terrible January transfer window and as a result the manager now found wanting.

The ball was in the air all day today...what great tactics in a storm.

Francis_begbie_HFC
29-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Yes, FB so I see...

albertz he only comes on here to cause trouble with his cheap shots at other peoples comments ignore him he aint worth the time to reply too

Truthhurts
29-02-2020, 09:00 PM
albertz he only comes on here to cause trouble with his cheap shots at other peoples comments ignore him he aint worth the time to reply too
Calm doon guys, we are all suffering at the moment!

ALBERTZ_11
29-02-2020, 09:07 PM
Calm doon guys, we are all suffering at the moment!

I suppose we all are. Yes indeed...

King Dobbie
29-02-2020, 10:02 PM

Afraid the manager is ultimately to blame its his team he brought almost all of them here and now they are either not good enough or have stopped playing for him. Its time for change c'mon Billy you can do it you've done it 4/5 times before....

ALBERTZ_11
29-02-2020, 10:44 PM
Get Jim McIntyre back...

ALBERTZ_11
29-02-2020, 11:28 PM
https://youtu.be/Zeygrl8SfB8

ALBERTZ_11
29-02-2020, 11:29 PM
Same old excuses and AJ hasn't fallen on his sword!

King Dobbie
29-02-2020, 11:32 PM
https://youtu.be/Zeygrl8SfB8

Are no players getting interviewed after the games now? Noticed lack of this since turn of the year.....

deek5trans
01-03-2020, 12:20 AM
Afraid the manager is ultimately to blame its his team he brought almost all of them here and now they are either not good enough or have stopped playing for him. Its time for change c'mon Billy you can do it you've done it 4/5 times before....

All comes down to budget. You get what you pay for that's why we ended up with Kidd, Paton and Oliver for example.

ALBERTZ_11
01-03-2020, 04:39 AM
Are no players getting interviewed after the games now? Noticed lack of this since turn of the year.....

Apparently not.....they appear to be in hiding. I reckon Magic has lost the dressing room.

Spikefaethesouth
01-03-2020, 09:51 AM

I was falsely hoping for some sort of reaction from the players following the AGM when the lack of passion from the players and management team was put to AJ which we said he recognised. He clearly did nothing about the fans concern as that was simply abismal with only perhaps Pybus and Wilson showing anything like commitment. Oh for a player like Mikey Doyle who although limited had tremendous heart and never left anything out on the pitch. So where does this leave us other than in the mire?
AJ has lost the players that much is obvious and a change is required sooner than later but who is available to get these guys playing for the club. Anyone who is has obviously been sacked from his previous employment, just like Johnston prior to him taking over the reigns, and any young talent from the lower leagues will be unlikely to be taken on board as it would cost a substantial amount the buy them out of their contract. Is Wullie Gibson ready for this level well there is only one way to find out but he is clearly unproven and Dobbie is settled in Lytham with his family and their property business so I would doubt that he would like to take the chance of tarnishing him legacy, I have never seem him look so dejected yesterday but them again the conditions were brutal. Many questions little obvious and more importantly immediate solutions.

Baw Heid
01-03-2020, 10:43 AM

And given the way the game was going why was he replaced with Petravicius a forward who had a mare against Dundee. Particularly when he had defenders Ledger and Gourlay on the bench

deek5trans
01-03-2020, 10:52 AM
Because he was desperately trying to get some creativity from midfield. It didn't work.

deek5trans
01-03-2020, 11:00 AM
The biggest mistake we made was not pushing the boat out and trying to get Josh Todd. We are having to use strikers as make shift wingers because we never replaced Bakhtaoui.

Baw Heid
01-03-2020, 12:09 PM
Because he was desperately trying to get some creativity from midfield. It didn't work.

That's my point why not say he made mistakes instead of blaming players defending, scoring. and now blaming others for his recruitment and selections. Even if it was as you say why that player who had a crap game the previous week was brought on, It's worth remembering that the change was brought on by injury not tactical An unfit Mercer against Canning should never have been tried.I feel sorry for Mercer who always puts in a shift but he now joins Murray who suffered the same fate against Dundee

ALBERTZ_11
01-03-2020, 12:11 PM
https://youtu.be/71mJ8iQuyxM

Ton match Lowlights

ALBERTZ_11
01-03-2020, 12:11 PM
That's my point why not say he made mistakes instead of blaming players defending, scoring. and now blaming others for his recruitment and selections. Even if it was as you say why that player who had a crap game the previous week was brought on, It's worth remembering that the change was brought on by injury not tactical An unfit Mercer against Canning should never have been tried.I feel sorry for Mercer who always puts in a shift but he now joins Murray who suffered the same fate against Dundee

Cadden....

Baw Heid
01-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Cadden....

Well done that explains everything Maybe AJ should make as much attention to detail as you

Ftivano1
01-03-2020, 01:23 PM
Leap Year 2020 Saturday will long be remembered by the 900 plus Doonhamer fans in attendance as one of the worst performances for a long time and rightly so.

Francis_begbie_HFC
01-03-2020, 02:39 PM
Leap Year 2020 Saturday will long be remembered by the 900 plus Doonhamer fans in attendance as one of the worst performances for a long time and rightly so.

ftivano we have seen worse times during the harkness days ,but the difference from then and now is huge ,all the fans stood together and got it sorted by ousting harkness ,nowadays is different since the save the south thing ,lots of our fans now just accept keeping the club alive thesedays ,when in reality queens need a severe shakup from top to bottom and its notquite as bad yet as the harkness days but its gradually heading that way and i wish the queens fans would wake up before it gets too far down the wrong road ,but sadly too many queens fans nowadays dont react until its too late ,just watch at some point all these fans who are bobbing along accepting will soon turn into the voices of action and act like thay have been concerned all along ,and fans like me who have seen it coming over the last 3 seasons or so become the quiet ones .

ALBERTZ_11
01-03-2020, 03:32 PM

My first visit to Palmerston this season and likely my last.

ALBERTZ_11
01-03-2020, 03:32 PM
Well done that explains everything Maybe AJ should make as much attention to detail as you

Yes indeed...