PDA

View Full Version : Who is your Albion Legend?

9goals2hattricks3pen
18-03-2020, 11:35 AM
Been trying to think of something else, anything else to post about.

Someone else has mentioned legends and in my time there are 3 contenders for number 1.

Jeff Astle-if one man won us the FA Cup it was him

Tony Brown-all those goals esp Oldham

Gary Megson-we looked 3rd Division bound when he arrived but took us to the Prem.

Changed my mind a couple of times whilst I'm typing but I'm going to go for Astle as he gave me the happiest day of my life as a 14 year old football fan when The Albion was what mattered most

Joy_Division
18-03-2020, 12:02 PM
The King for me too. When he scored the winner against Man City in a 3-2 win on Boxing Day (Can't remember the year) I ran on the pitch with some other kids and jumped on Astle's back. When I ran back to get off the pitch the copper who had tried to stop me getting on the pitch just laughed and helped me back into the crowd. I would probably get a life ban now for it. How times change.

9goals2hattricks3pen
18-03-2020, 01:02 PM
The King for me too. When he scored the winner against Man City in a 3-2 win on Boxing Day (Can't remember the year) I ran on the pitch with some other kids and jumped on Astle's back. When I ran back to get off the pitch the copper who had tried to stop me getting on the pitch just laughed and helped me back into the crowd. I would probably get a life ban now for it. How times change.

Now that's put a smile on my face.

From memory we were leading 2-0 City got it back to 2-2 when Jeff scored late on from a couple of yards out. City team
Corrigan, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop,Oakes,Summerbee,Bell,Lee, Young Coleman

From fact Albion Team
Osborne,Colquhoun,Williams,Brown,Talbot,Fraser, Krywicki,Kaye, Astle, Hope,Clark.
Scorers Astle (2) Brown
Att: 44,897

Five days later I was at Maine Road to see us beat the season's champions humbled again, 2-0 this time.

albion68
18-03-2020, 03:00 PM
Been trying to think of something else, anything else to post about.

Someone else has mentioned legends and in my time there are 3 contenders for number 1.

Jeff Astle-if one man won us the FA Cup it was him

Tony Brown-all those goals esp Oldham

Gary Megson-we looked 3rd Division bound when he arrived but took us to the Prem.

Changed my mind a couple of times whilst I'm typing but I'm going to go for Astle as he gave me the happiest day of my life as a 14 year old football fan when The Albion was what mattered most both astle and brown and a few others were great,for me Ronnie allen but only just.

WBA1955
18-03-2020, 03:09 PM
No legends. I saw a lot of them play and they existed, they were real people.

Leicesterbaggie
18-03-2020, 03:36 PM
I think that it depends on which age group you fit into. For me, it has to be Ronnie Allen. If it wasn't for him I would probably never have supported the Albion. As a seven year old growing up in the wilds of Herefordshire there was this lad who, when we played football in the playground, always wanted to be Ronnie Allen. I just copied him! Now I don't know whether to thank this lad or to curse him considering the highs and lows over the following 68 years. In fairness I should thank him as the Baggies have been an integral part of my life over the years despite the lean years that have been endured.

Of course the likes of Ray Barlow, Jeff Astle, Tony Brown, Bryan Robson, Cyrille Regis and more would figure as the choice of others, it's Ronnie Allen for me.

soulman101
18-03-2020, 03:42 PM
Now that's put a smile on my face.

From memory we were leading 2-0 City got it back to 2-2 when Jeff scored late on from a couple of yards out. City team
Corrigan, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop,Oakes,Summerbee,Bell,Lee, Young Coleman

From fact Albion Team
Osborne,Colquhoun,Williams,Brown,Talbot,Fraser, Krywicki,Kaye, Astle, Hope,Clark.
Scorers Astle (2) Brown
Att: 44,897

Five days later I was at Maine Road to see us beat the season's champions humbled again, 2-0 this time.
Hi, After the Maine rd game our coach windows were smashed we had travel back with half the side windows out.

boingy
18-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Willie johnston.

holmleighchris
18-03-2020, 05:50 PM
Jeff Astle for me.
Those were the days. You could pick up great players from the bottom 2 divisions. Astle, Kaye, Clark, Osborne all came from those divisions and all did us proud.

mickd1961
18-03-2020, 06:01 PM
Willie johnston.

Willie for me too.

Sneekes in the 90’s.

9goals2hattricks3pen
18-03-2020, 06:04 PM
Jeff Astle for me.
Those were the days. You could pick up great players from the bottom 2 divisions. Astle, Kaye, Clark, Osborne all came from those divisions and all did us proud.

and stayed with The Albion. I found it easier to name the City side of 67/68 than many of today's lot.

Gary Megson came close for me as he saved us from a return to Div3 and then who knows where we might have been the last few seasons? I vividly recall my son born in 87 saying to me after our return to the top table
"Dad growing up I never thought I would ever see The Albion in the Premier League" whereas I had always thought of us as a top division side. And for that I say "Thank you Gary Megson thank you" I feel quite emotional just typing that.

Anyone able to confirm City came from 2 down before Astle scored from close range late on?

Joy_Division
18-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Yep that's correct. I thought here we go again. 2 up just like the QPR Wembley final until Brown screwed it across for Astle to thump home.