PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Ever United XI

JamesMcClean
05-04-2020, 10:24 AM
Well seeing as we’ve nothing else to do, thought I’d formulate something as it says on the tin. It’s not a competition and it’s always good to see different perspectives, particularly from those who have supported the longest and seen the greater number of players. FWIW, this is mine,

Thomson (Sorry Hamish)

Gough Hegarty Narey Malpas

Milne McKinlay Armstrong Bannon

Sturrock Gray

Billy Thomson I just felt was a better overall keeper but does not detract from Hamish’s legendary status. Back four frankly picks itself. Midfield aside from the obvious title winners, McKinlay can add the bit of dig Kirkwood brought but with added actual playing ability, while Stuart Armstrong genuinely is one of our best ever and surrounded by this level of quality would be sensational. Luggy again simply cannot not be in there but I’ve gone for Andy Gray alongside, rather than obvious candidates such as the Dodds’s (Davie and Billy), Kjell or even Sir Lawrence. Although Davie Dodds scored more than his fair share, with the chances that the likes of Luggy, Ralphie and Bannon set up, Andy Gray would have been frighteningly unstoppable.

Any other suggestions?

OmaniArab
05-04-2020, 10:51 AM
Thomson (Sorry Hamish)

Sturrock Gray

Can't argue with much of that team. Sieb over Billy? Always liked Gary-Mackay Steven too - better than Badger? Showing my age here but I remember Kenny Cameron banging in a lot of goals when when I was very young?

offshore_arab83
05-04-2020, 11:02 AM
Nae room for Andis Shala and Brian Graham

JamesMcClean
05-04-2020, 11:04 AM
Nae room for Andis Shala and Brian Graham

Doing this one first. All time Worst ever XI to follow................................:O

Whitfieldarab
05-04-2020, 11:31 AM
Nae Butcher :O

offshore_arab83
05-04-2020, 11:54 AM
Doing this one first. All time Worst ever XI to follow................................:O

Tidy, we'll make room for Powers

Charlie arab
05-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Wouldn't be near the eleven as never played long enough for us but siggi jonsson was probably one of the best footballers to play for us.

Shedboy1971
05-04-2020, 02:23 PM
Billy def the keeper - but loved Hamish despite his comedy attempts at crosses. David Mccracken is one of my most hated united players ever.

Yeats 62
05-04-2020, 05:34 PM
Thomson

Sturrock Dodds…

Honourable mentions - Big Dunc, Kirky , Holtie & Pederson.

Whitfieldarab
05-04-2020, 05:47 PM
Changed my mind a hundred times doing this, probably easier doing a best team of the 80s, 90s,00s and 10s......so here goes.

Van de kamp
Gough
Narey
Petric
Malpas
Gallagher
Mckinlay
C Millar
Bannon
Sturrock
B Dods

Subs - Thompson, Pederson, Jonsson, Oloffson, Hegarty, Powers.

Charlie arab
05-04-2020, 06:08 PM
Changed my mind a hundred times doing this, probably easier doing a best team of the 80s, 90s,00s and 10s......so here goes.

Van de kamp
Gough
Narey
Petric
Malpas
Gallagher
Mckinlay
C Millar
Bannon
Sturrock
B Dods

Subs - Thompson, Pederson, Jonsson, Oloffson, Hegarty, Powers.

Nae ralphie?

Whitfieldarab
05-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Nae ralphie?

Like I said I'd changed my mind a hundred times but went for Kevin Gallagher as I was older and started going home and away around about the time Gallagher forced his way into the team and Milne although I have some great memories of his brilliance probably played more games in Europe than domestically in his last 2 or 3 seasons. If he stayed aff the swally he would have truly been world class.

ARAbCHNID
05-04-2020, 07:38 PM
McAlpine (sorry Billy)

Smith, Narey, Hegarty, Malpas

Milne, Gillespie, Wing, Bannon

Sturrock, Dossing

These are the players I've seen. There is no way you can exclude Doug Smith so I'm playing with 3 centre halves sorry.
And if I was to pick my favourite ever player it's FINN DOSSING #9. Move over God. If you were at Dens on 11/9/65 you saw the tide turn.

offshore_arab83
06-04-2020, 06:07 AM
Wouldn't be near the eleven as never played long enough for us but siggi jonsson was probably one of the best footballers to play for us.

Funny you should say that, theres a few of these copy and past and fill in the blanks things on facebook where you nominate people to do the same thing, something to take up 30 mins of lockdown boredom and i actually had Siggi down as best midfielder on the best/favourite United one that was kicking about

utd4me
06-04-2020, 07:16 AM
Mcalpine
Holt McKinlay
Milne Sturrock Bannon
Gray

D Smith P McKay D Dodds Armstrong J Henry.

ARAbCHNID
06-04-2020, 07:52 AM
Mcalpine
Holt McKinlay
Milne Sturrock Bannon
Gray

D Smith P McKay D Dodds Armstrong J Henry.

Peter McKay on the bench?
With 203 goals in 241 appearances, I might be tempted to include him from the start.

utd4me
06-04-2020, 10:08 AM
Peter McKay on the bench?
With 203 goals in 241 appearances, I might be tempted to include him from the start.

I agree but Andy Gray was my hero.

alwaysanarab
06-04-2020, 03:22 PM
How about this best team of non-Scottish.
Van Der Kamp
Van Der Hoorn Pederson
Krivokapic Petric Wing
Berg Johnsson Dossing Zetterland Seeman.

Charlie arab
06-04-2020, 04:13 PM
How about this best team of non-Scottish.
Van Der Kamp
Van Der Hoorn Pederson
Krivokapic Petric Wing
Berg Johnsson Dossing Zetterland Seeman.

Nae Emile lyng?

GUNBOAT
07-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Mackay
Millar
Gunboat
Neilson
Smith
Wing
Rooney
Munro
Dossing
Gillespie
Persson

Get down on your knees and pray.

JamesMcClean
07-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Mackay
Millar
Gunboat
Neilson
Smith
Wing
Rooney
Munro
Dossing
Gillespie
Persson

Get down on your knees and pray.

Shurely shome mishtake there GB - was that no before 1979? XDXD

GUNBOAT
07-04-2020, 06:50 PM
He was trying to say that Dundee United never had a subbuteo team mate and if you follow the thread you will see what i mean.

JamesMcClean
07-04-2020, 06:55 PM
Yeh I know, but he’s tying it in with this nonsensical pre 1979 Funster Fake News.

Funsters.XDXD

Orjan11
07-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Very difficult to choose, but here goes, -

McAlpine

T Neilson Kirkwood Holt

Bannon Sturrock

Finn Dossing No9

GUNBOAT
07-04-2020, 07:53 PM
Changed my mind,can i do that?,yes i can.

Davie
Gardner
Kopel
Copland
D Smith
W Smith
Payne
Knox
Gray
Fleming
Traynor

1st victory i ever witnessed at Hampden 4-2 in Semi Final replay v Hearts in the Scottish Cup 9th of April 1974.

spikeontheright
13-04-2020, 12:56 AM
This isn't my all time greatest United team because when I started typing it out I was immediately taken back to the early 70s and my first games at Tannadice, midweek in the Texaco Cup under the lights.

In my head I can hear the tannoy announcer naming the team - when numbers 1-11 meant something in a classic 2-3-5 formation.

1- (The) Goalie - McAlpine

2 - Right Back- Roland

3 - Left Back - Kopel

4 - Right Half - Copland

5 - Centre Half - D Smith

6 - Left Half - W Smith

7 - Right Wing - Traynor

8 - Inside Left - Knox

9 - Centre Forward - Gray

10 - Inside Left - Fleming

11 - Left Wing - Gardner.

Magic memories!