PDA

View Full Version : Delay and Finish

A. J
09-04-2020, 06:16 AM
Only sensible answer

Too many unknowns and what ifs to finish with standings as is, it will sting a lot of folk as it is unfair.
To null and void is fine if those who run leagues refund everyone their ticket money, season ticket or otherwise, the travel money involved for those who went to away games. The clubs are reimbursed for wages etc spent on all players.
No way can SPL/SPFL do this so not an option imo

Think about it, if halfway or further through a taxi ride and that taxi gets a flat tyre, he has to stop and not charge you, he doesn't take you back to where he picked you up to start again when the tyre is fixed, you are just delayed until another comes along to finish the journey.

Delay and finish this season whenever it ts safe to resume, its far easier to rejig the number and make up of fixtures for the next season than try and resolve this one without playing remaining games.

offshore_arab83
09-04-2020, 07:24 AM
I would rather finish season now so zero impact on next season

JamesMcClean
09-04-2020, 07:42 AM
Only sensible answer

Too many unknowns and what ifs to finish with standings as is, it will sting a lot of folk as it is unfair.
To null and void is fine if those who run leagues refund everyone their ticket money, season ticket or otherwise, the travel money involved for those who went to away games. The clubs are reimbursed for wages etc spent on all players.

Think about it, if halfway or further through a taxi ride and that taxi gets a flat tyre, he has to stop and not charge you, he doesn't take you back to where he picked you up to start again when the tyre is fixed, you are just delayed until another comes along to finish the journey.

Delay and finish this season whenever it ts safe to resume, its far easier to rejig the number and make up of fixtures for the next season than try and resolve this one without playing remaining games.

Yeh but what if, if you were late arriving at your destination you had to pay somebody 10 grand on arrival simply for being late? You’d probably jack up the taxi and change the wheel yourself in order to get there on time. In the SPFL’s case that ‘somebody’ at the destination is Sky TV whose new deal, which is highly lucrative for Scottish Clubs, kicks in for the new League starting circa August. The start for the new League may be slightly delayed as it but waiting to finish off the old one before starting the new may push it back to November. There is absolutely no danger that Sky will not demand some sort of clawback through this delay. Scottish Football simply can’t afford this and indeed such a loss will be far greater than that incurred to BT Sport for calling this season early. It’s also the reason why reconstruction may prove tricky to satisfy the broadcaster also.

Null and void and now finishing the season are totally off the table now. We are going up and deservedly so.

ALBOWLLY
09-04-2020, 08:23 AM
Only sensible answer

I agree with you entirely but I'm afraid it looks like the Scottish football authorities are going to cut the season off as it stands.

ALBOWLLY
09-04-2020, 08:24 AM
I would rather finish season now so zero impact on next season

I disagree completely. I'd much prefer to see this season completed, even if 2020-21 has to be reduced.

JamesMcClean
09-04-2020, 08:30 AM
I disagree completely. I'd much prefer to see this season completed, even if 2020-21 has to be reduced.

We all would but I would refer to my answer above. Sky TV will not tolerate/permit truncation of next season without a financial penalty which Scottish Football cannot afford. That’s where the need to start moving with this is coming from. The fundamental decision has been taken and it’s now a question of ‘when’ not ‘if’ it is ratified. United’s going up.:)

offshore_arab83
09-04-2020, 09:55 AM

why should next season be impacted so thats 2 seasons f ucked up? We can avoid this clusterf uck next season quite easily

ALBOWLLY
09-04-2020, 11:03 AM
why should next season be impacted so thats 2 seasons f ucked up? We can avoid this clusterf uck next season quite easily

Because this season is more than 75% of the way through. Completing the current season when it is so far on should take priority. We don't know when we'll be playing football again. It is quite possible it won't be till October, so playing a full 20-21 season would be impossible. Had this crisis hit back in October then abandoning 2019-20 would have been the obvious answer but I'm loathe to see so much work uncompleted.

offshore_arab83
09-04-2020, 11:38 AM
Because this season is more than 75% of the way through. Completing the current season when it is so far on should take priority. We don't know when we'll be playing football again. It is quite possible it won't be till October, so playing a full 20-21 season would be impossible. Had this crisis hit back in October then abandoning 2019-20 would have been the obvious answer but I'm loathe to see so much work uncompleted.

October? where have you seen that? Its only April ffs

A. J
09-04-2020, 04:03 PM
And why is there a vote? Just so the SPL & Co can say it wasn't their fault

They run the leagues and they should have the balls to make the decision and deal with the consequences

tHeArAb
09-04-2020, 04:13 PM

As I've said before, TV will play a major part in what happens with regards next season. Sky ain't gonna just sit back and say "Aye **** it. **** the £150M deal we've just signed with you, and don't worry about the thousands of millions we'll be making back in revenue either, just scrap it all so you can get your 8 games played". Not a hope in hell.

eastfifearabman
09-04-2020, 04:14 PM
There is no way this is going to be over in time for the new season.

Fair enough... I may have done microbiology at Uni 20 + years ago at Uni and am currently not involved in any corona related stuff, but until either we all have had it and develop personal immunity or a vaccine is distributed 100% in a country there will be ZERO normality.

This will be way quicker than 18 months suggested, as everyone and their uncle is throwing money at it and big pharma will make a mint even givign it away. But still the economy is fecked worse than 1920's depression at the end of this..

If you can still afford to see the next footy game that is open to the public at Tannadice, well done, you have survived corona and can still afford to feed your family.

The fall out from protecting the 10% that will inevitably die from this will mortgage the 90% and their children for a LOT more than the banks bail out in 2008.

Football will not be back this season, or maybe even next.

I expect a few teams to die completely before then and new teams to take their place. The world will look drastically different on the other side of this.

TerryTheTerror
09-04-2020, 04:31 PM
And why is there a vote? Just so the SPL & Co can say it wasn't their fault

They run the leagues and they should have the balls to make the decision and deal with the consequences

The SPFL are the clubs, this is a reasonable move in my opinion.

offshore_arab83
09-04-2020, 04:48 PM

Fair enough... I may have done microbiology at Uni 20 + years ago at Uni and am currently not involved in any corona related stuff, but until either we all have had it and develop personal immunity or a vaccine is distributed 100% in a country there will be ZERO normality.

This will be way quicker than 18 months suggested, as everyone and their uncle is throwing money at it and big pharma will make a mint even givign it away. But still the economy is fecked worse than 1920's depression at the end of this..

If you can still afford to see the next footy game that is open to the public at Tannadice, well done, you have survived corona and can still afford to feed your family.

The fall out from protecting the 10% that will inevitably die from this will mortgage the 90% and their children for a LOT more than the banks bail out in 2008.

I expect a few teams to die completely before then and new teams to take their place. The world will look drastically different on the other side of this.

ffs, you're a right cheery chunt :blue:

offshore_arab83
09-04-2020, 04:50 PM
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/coronavirus-joint-response-group-update-9-april/?rid=14258

No football till July, thats the season over IMO no way we'll start up this season again after that date, no happening

Whars that f ucking league trophy

tHeArAb
09-04-2020, 04:52 PM
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/coronavirus-joint-response-group-update-9-april/?rid=14258

No football till July, thats the season over IMO no way we'll start up this season again after that date, no happening

Whars that f ucking league trophy

Says 10th June?

FWIW Spain have set three dates in May & June to get going again, most likely behind closed doors.

GUNBOAT
09-04-2020, 05:24 PM

I feel like going to a hoose perty getting the virus, dying and letting you lot worry about the bills. >:(

JamesMcClean
09-04-2020, 06:05 PM
There 3 main reasons why this season is going to be finished early and called as it stands -

1. Sky

2. Sky

3. and, er, Sky.

And that’s all there is to it.

JamesMcClean
09-04-2020, 06:07 PM
To add to the previous and I can’t quite bring myself to say this but it’s true - ‘Thank phuck for Murdoch’.

Otherwise we’d be at the mercy of the ‘establishment’ Clubs spouting their Null And Void pish.

GUNBOAT
09-04-2020, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=JamesMcClean;39473932] - ‘Thank phuck for Murdoch’.

Stewart ?.

FTFun
09-04-2020, 06:19 PM

Stewart ?.

Howling mad.

offshore_arab83
09-04-2020, 06:21 PM
Says 10th June?

FWIW Spain have set three dates in May & June to get going again, most likely behind closed doors.

10th june plus need a few weeks training mate

JamesMcClean
09-04-2020, 06:34 PM

Stewart ?.

;)

Aww, phuck it - him an a’ as well.XD

eastfifearabman
09-04-2020, 08:18 PM
I am a pretty cheery fecker normally, not even considered ending it all , even midweek trips to Dumbarton could make that happen

GUNBOAT
09-04-2020, 09:47 PM
I am a pretty cheery fecker normally, not even considered ending it all , even midweek trips to Dumbarton could make that happen

I was only joking mate as per usual. :)