PDA

View Full Version : O/T:- Tipple of choice?

Bartlett's Dust
18-04-2020, 09:47 PM
Just wondering what people's drinks of choice are? Non alcoholic also of course.

Whisky - Lagavulin 16 year old
Whiskey - Eagle rare bourbon
Gin - Tanquray export
Beer - Blue Moon, any Blue Monkey real ale
Wine - Mcguigan Black label Shiraz

Elite_Pie
18-04-2020, 09:51 PM
Cider - Taurus from Aldi.
Vodka - anything that's on offer as long as it's with tonic, ice and lime.

Beers are off limits, so coffee is just about the only other thing I drink.

jackal2
18-04-2020, 09:55 PM
I seem to have developed a Strongbow Dark Fruit cider addiction over the past couple of years, which will probably appall the drinking purists but I've always had a sweet tooth rather than a savoury one.

BigFatPie
18-04-2020, 09:59 PM
Ooh now this is a topic.

Whiskey; I’m currently enjoying Highland Park Dragon Legend which my mother in law bought me for my birthday god bless her. Fantastic stuff.

Beer; Guinness in the winter, Moretti in the summer, with various real ales dotted throughout the year. Blue Moon is good stuff.

Wine; Yealands Sauvignon Blanc, usually a tenner from the co-op. Not that fussy, though I can usually tell the really crap stuff.

Have recently tried to have a no drinking at home rule but that has obviously gone out of the window at present!

Bartlett's Dust
18-04-2020, 10:10 PM
Ooh now this is a topic.

Whiskey; I’m currently enjoying Highland Park Dragon Legend which my mother in law bought me for my birthday god bless her. Fantastic stuff.

Beer; Guinness in the winter, Moretti in the summer, with various real ales dotted throughout the year. Blue Moon is good stuff.

Wine; Yealands Sauvignon Blanc, usually a tenner from the co-op. Not that fussy, though I can usually tell the really crap stuff.

Have recently tried to have a no drinking at home rule but that has obviously gone out of the window at present!

Highland Park is good stuff, on offer at the moment for £25 @ Amazon as I ordered some today.

rorylee
18-04-2020, 10:11 PM
Just wondering what people's drinks of choice are? Non alcoholic also of course.

Whisky - Lagavulin 16 year old
Whiskey - Eagle rare bourbon
Gin - Tanquray export
Beer - Blue Moon, any Blue Monkey real ale
Wine - Mcguigan Black label Shiraz

In a cocktail bar - Old fashioned
In a pub - Peroni ( drank so much Blue Moon when I lived in NYC that Ive gone off the stuff!)
Wine - Jammy Red Roo or Jam Shed (like fruit shoots for adults)
Spirits - Gin, whisky, vodka

Bartlett's Dust
18-04-2020, 10:14 PM
I seem to have developed a Strongbow Dark Fruit cider addiction over the past couple of years, which will probably appall the drinking purists but I've always had a sweet tooth rather than a savoury one.

Good shout, can get it on draught in most pubs now. Usually have a few in the summer.

Bartlett's Dust
18-04-2020, 10:17 PM
Cider - Taurus from Aldi.
Vodka - anything that's on offer as long as it's with tonic, ice and lime.

Beers are off limits, so coffee is just about the only other thing I drink.

Had my share of Taurus as Aldi is on my way home from work so usually stock up.

Bartlett's Dust
18-04-2020, 10:22 PM
In a cocktail bar - Old fashioned
In a pub - Peroni ( drank so much Blue Moon when I lived in NYC that Ive gone off the stuff!)
Wine - Jammy Red Roo or Jam Shed (like fruit shoots for adults)
Spirits - Gin, whisky, vodka

Old Fashioned is a good shout although should be with bourbon and not Scotch. Ideally rye such as Bulleit.

Blue Moon is great in the US but not as good in the UK. Peroni and Moretti are decent lagers

Notsohumblepie
18-04-2020, 10:32 PM
Whiskey Jamesons
Whisky Grant
Gin Bombay Sapphire
Guinness-in any form, as often as possible
Vodka Stolichnaya, or Absolut for mixing

metrocab
18-04-2020, 10:41 PM
Beer:Most Cask Ales & Imported Czech Lager
Gin:Gin Ting served with fresh strawberries ,fever tree mediterranean tonic & lots of ice
Wine:South African & Argentinian white`s
Cocktail:Caipirinha served with crushed ice & limes +2 tablespoons of sugar.(Brazilian Cocktail The Perfect Beach Drink).

Elite_Pie
18-04-2020, 10:51 PM
Had my share of Taurus as Aldi is on my way home from work so usually stock up.

Works out at 57p per pint if you buy the 2 litre bottles, and the empties are ideal to recycle as a mini-greenhouse for young plants.

I can't think of anything else where the very cheapest is the one I like the best!

SwalePie
18-04-2020, 11:55 PM
Whisky - Lagavulin 16 yr. old for the mainstream choice, Bunnahabhain too
Whiskey - Bushmills Malt
Bottled Beer - Moretti la Rossa my current favourite
Cask conditioned ale - Theakston's Best / Tim Taylor's Landlord (if well kept)

i961pie
19-04-2020, 06:08 AM
Adnams Broardside (no pale bitters) Abbot ale (from Aldi)
Scotch whisky (blended or malt)
Gordon's gin
Yellow tail shiraz
Marlboro' chardonay

ForeignLegion
19-04-2020, 06:10 AM
Today, round the pool, it’s vodka, grapefruit juice and orange liqueur

The_Don_ORiordan
19-04-2020, 06:38 AM
Rum : Mount Gay (my missus would force Bundaberg on me!), or Kraken if it’s spiced rum.
Red wine : Rioja
White wine : Any NZ Marlborough, but Cloudy Bay Sav Blanc my favourite.
Beer : Most Belgian beers, in particular Chouffe (cherry as well!), not the coffee grain ones!!!!

ncfcog
19-04-2020, 07:10 AM
Currently missing my usual pint of Doombar in the local but I’m more of a red wine and brandy/cognac kind of guy. Have about half a dozen favourites of each. Also partial to a G&T with Taquerey Orange currently a favourite.

Regarding red wine someone mentioned a McGuigan BlackLabel Shiraz. I have to say that their Shiraz, Merlot and aptly named ‘Red’ wines are actually really good for the money.

ForeignLegion
19-04-2020, 07:15 AM
I’m disappointed to hear there are no Shippos or Home Ales connoisseurs.

i961pie
19-04-2020, 08:45 AM

They are probably still on the toiletXD

Notts78
19-04-2020, 08:48 AM
Depends on the mood/weather
Could happily sink a few dark fruits, morettis, peronis.
I like Canadian club n coke, courtesy of a holiday to Jamaica.
Captain Morgan’s spiced rum n ginger ale.
Thanks to the wife we often have various flavoured gin and tonics.
To be honest I am happy to try a few of the real ales thanks to a mate who ran a micro bar and now sells Magpie brewery products.

maddogslater
19-04-2020, 08:57 AM
Spirit, vodka from lidl
Beer, German French from lidl in cans as it chills better in the fridge.
Wine, red, merlot, shiraz only white I like is NZ Sauvignon Blanc
Cocktail, Americano

SwalePie
19-04-2020, 10:49 AM
Rum : Mount Gay (my missus would force Bundaberg on me!), or Kraken if it’s spiced rum.
Red wine : Rioja
White wine : Any NZ Marlborough, but Cloudy Bay Sav Blanc my favourite.
Beer : Most Belgian beers, in particular Chouffe (cherry as well!), not the coffee grain ones!!!!

I've got a bottle of Mount Gay in the cupboard. Thanks for reminding me :)

ancientpie
19-04-2020, 11:05 AM
Cannot stand real ale (warm lumpy beer), much prefer a nice cold lager Carling Premier if available.
Always liked my Whiskies so have started to sample as many reasonably priced ones as I can, i have drank some very nice & very expensive bottles in the past but find it hard to justify paying stupid money for a hangover. For many years I argued that Glenfiddich took some beating but I have found I prefer Cardhu Gold Reserve, it's obviously down to taste because I was recommended Laphroaig single malt scotch but found it disgusting (probably the only whisky that I truly dislike) I have jotted a few names down & will keep an interested eye on this thread,cheers. COYP

legs77
19-04-2020, 11:27 AM
My choices are very limited:-

Lagers:- Moretti Estrella Peroni San Miguel are my choices

Beer:- Blue Monkey Tiny Rebel if possible but im open to other choices

Spirits I dont really drink too much of Disaronno probably the one I would drink the most on holiday I have the odd cocktail without caring what is in them !

cocopops61
19-04-2020, 12:17 PM

I absolutely hated Shippos and could never understand why people drank it,I know that there was a Shipstones somewhere in Arnold but I can't remember which it was right now

JD and Coke (never Pepsi) is my current favorite due to it being knocked down to six**** quid in supermarkets,I've bought but not tried the new JD Apple,anybody tried it yet?

Edit

16 spelt out is deemed worthy of censorship?

the_anticlough
19-04-2020, 01:01 PM
Beers - Anything Czech, Zlaty Bazant's the best (although's that's Slovak), Peroni, Tuborg, Carlsberg, Chang, Corona!, Guinness, most real ales
Spirits - Rum
Wine - White only, any
Cocktails - Long Island Iced Tea, Moscow Mule, Cuba libre, Pisco Sour, Chilcano

seriouspie
19-04-2020, 01:09 PM
90% a beer drinker and always have been. Only the occasional half a gallon nowadays.

Bartlett's Dust
19-04-2020, 04:45 PM
Cannot stand real ale (warm lumpy beer), much prefer a nice cold lager Carling Premier if available.
Always liked my Whiskies so have started to sample as many reasonably priced ones as I can, i have drank some very nice & very expensive bottles in the past but find it hard to justify paying stupid money for a hangover. For many years I argued that Glenfiddich took some beating but I have found I prefer Cardhu Gold Reserve, it's obviously down to taste because I was recommended Laphroaig single malt scotch but found it disgusting (probably the only whisky that I truly dislike) I have jotted a few names down & will keep an interested eye on this thread,cheers. COYP

A few whisky suggestions if you like Speyside malts, most can be picked up in supermarkets for between £20 and £30 but I tend to only buy when on offer as the RRP's are over inflated. Laphroaig is an acquired taste with the heavy peat/smoke, I love it but can't drink it too often.

Aberlour 12 year old
Aberfeldy 12 year old
Highland Park 12 year old
Glenmorangie 10 year old
Johnnie Walker Black or Green label
Monkey Shoulder
Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old

Glad2BeAPie
19-04-2020, 04:51 PM
Stella Artoise followed by Vodka & green Monster drink

maddogslater
19-04-2020, 05:59 PM
Have tried a few single malts never could get on with them, to me they have a strong petrol/fuel aroma, like the French accriole white rum.

magpie_mania
19-04-2020, 06:26 PM
At the moment can't drink anything alcoholic due to medication. Been a while and not missing it.

So for me
Coffee (Gold blend)
Rootbeer
Pepsi-max

ancientpie
20-04-2020, 10:44 AM
A few whisky suggestions if you like Speyside malts, most can be picked up in supermarkets for between £20 and £30 but I tend to only buy when on offer as the RRP's are over inflated. Laphroaig is an acquired taste with the heavy peat/smoke, I love it but can't drink it too often.

Aberlour 12 year old
Aberfeldy 12 year old
Highland Park 12 year old
Glenmorangie 10 year old
Johnnie Walker Black or Green label
Monkey Shoulder
Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old

Thanks for the suggestions,I have tried a few of these & will try the rest as soon as shopping gets back to normal.COYP.

Wedgie_pie
20-04-2020, 01:47 PM
Long established Italian influence for me...

Birra Moretti on draught ( although I've a few bottles in during lockdown)
Birrificio Poretti
Peroni (at a push)

i like an old fashioned Italian Aperol Spritz after dinner...
And an Italian Sgroppino ( think I've spelt that right) which is, frozen lemon sorbet, Prosecco,chilled vodka, and I make it with a splash of Limoncello, oh and don't forget the mint leaves, very refreshing...

But back in my youth before I met my Italian wife it was good old Shippos Mild, Brew X1, Watneys Red Barrel and Double D..:D

Bridg4d_Pie_
21-04-2020, 08:41 AM
I'm a Real Ale man, I have just ordered 36 bottles of Woodforde's Wherry from their Norfolk Brewery close to Wroxham, also worthy of a test drink for those of you who are in to Citrus Beers is Oakham Brewery's Citru recently been on offer in Morrison's at a £1 per bottle ideal in this warm spell. Another favourite of mine is Black Sheep Blonde again available in Morrison's at a good price periodically. Not into Spirits for health reasons but enjoy a glass or two of a good Red wine occasionally M & S Lock Keeper is a decent one off the shelf when shopping there.

ForeignLegion
21-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Warm spell? Has it reached 20 yet?

ncfcog
21-04-2020, 09:11 AM
I'm a Real Ale man, I have just ordered 36 bottles of Woodforde's Wherry from their Norfolk Brewery close to Wroxham, also worthy of a test drink for those of you who are in to Citrus Beers is Oakham Brewery's Citru recently been on offer in Morrison's at a £1 per bottle ideal in this warm spell. Another favourite of mine is Black Sheep Blonde again available in Morrison's at a good price periodically. Not into Spirits for health reasons but enjoy a glass or two of a good Red wine occasionally M & S Lock Keeper is a decent one off the shelf when shopping there.

Enjoy a pint of Wherry when in Norfolk, which is usually alot!

The Oakham Brewery reminded me of anothe beer I used to quite like from nearby, Ruddles which was originally brewed in Rutland. A quick look on google suggests it is now brewed by Greene King in Suffolk.

SwalePie
21-04-2020, 10:57 AM

Always enjoyed a pint or ten of Wherry too. Good shout.

BigFatPie
21-04-2020, 01:04 PM
As good a thread as any to bring up the scandal of Pubco’s still charging their tenant landlords full rent despite the fact there’s no income due to the pub been er closed.

I think the trade as a whole is going to be devastated by this crisis with some really good pubs in danger of never opening again.

https://twitter.com/mitrebarnet/status/1251556054401499136?s=21

Psaw2
21-04-2020, 05:14 PM
There is nothing more relaxing in life than coming home to a large dry martini with a cherry in while my friend Sebastian gently rubs my feet for me before heading for a bath together

Quentin of Cambridge

maddogslater
21-04-2020, 06:19 PM
, also worthy of a test drink for those of you who are in to Citrus Beers is Oakham Brewery's Citru recently been on offer in Morrison's at a £1 per bottle ideal in this warm spell.
I like a pint of IPA got to be ST Arse tells ales though, not that citrus American style crap

queenslandpie
21-04-2020, 08:41 PM
Mainly brew my own beer. Coopers brand although I am experimenting. Very partial to red wine current top drop is 2018 Little Giant Barossa Shiraz which for under $20 a bottle tastes like it should cost a lot more. Dont drink spirits.

Elite_Pie
21-04-2020, 08:50 PM
Mainly brew my own beer. Coopers brand although I am experimenting. Very partial to red wine current top drop is 2018 Little Giant Barossa Shiraz which for under $20 a bottle tastes like it should cost a lot more. Dont drink spirits.

I used to do a fair bit of home brewing a few years ago, resulting in some excellent brews and some dismal failures! I think it was supermarket prices becoming so cheap that made me give it up.

queenslandpie
21-04-2020, 08:56 PM
I used to do a fair bit of home brewing a few years ago, resulting in some excellent brews and some dismal failures! I think it was supermarket prices becoming so cheap that made me give it up.

Not as cheap here but also passes the time. Also had several dismal failures latest one was 5.5% though not a dismal failure!

Elite_Pie
21-04-2020, 10:02 PM
Warm spell? Has it reached 20 yet?

Not often we can say this, but the weather has been the big plus point during the lockdown. We have had mainly sunshine and blue skies for the last couple of weeks, and 20 degrees has already been hit which is really good for April. I've worked harder than I have done for years, ripping out a load of old decking and replacing with new. If the old wood is still in good nick I'm turning it into planting boxes, the knackered bits are used to cook a BBQ. I've hit a bit of a pause until more nails and screws arrive from ebay, but it's not the first time I've been desperate for a screw.

i961pie
22-04-2020, 05:59 AM

Ditto