PDA

View Full Version : Season Ended.

countygump
22-04-2020, 12:16 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381612

Mapperleypie
22-04-2020, 12:24 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381612

I get the feeling the National League have shot their load way too early here.

bouncingoffthewalls
22-04-2020, 12:25 PM
I still don't get how this a good idea & believe it will end up hurting clubs more then helping.

Oldstripy
22-04-2020, 12:26 PM
The National League statement.

National League Clubs were asked to support an ordinary resolution on 9 April to end the Playing Season for all fixtures scheduled up to and including 25 April 2020.
With almost 90% of responses returned it is evident a clear majority of Clubs are in favour, including a majority of Clubs in each of the National League, National League North and National League South divisions.

In the knowledge that the ordinary resolution has passed, the League’s Board has chosen to communicate the decision now and before the last few responses are received, which will not change the outcome, to enable Clubs to make business decisions with greater clarity as soon as possible. Clubs yet to respond still have an opportunity to do so, and the League wishes to include as many preferences as possible before the final voting result is declared.

National League Chief Executive Officer, Michael Tattersall, commented, “At a time when the entire country is wrestling with the devastating impact of Covid-19, the cancellation of the remaining normal season matches brings a degree of certainty to our Clubs coping with the business implications of the virus.”

In consideration of the very serious and unprecedented national public health emergency caused by the coronavirus, National League, National League North and National League South football activities have been suspended since 16 March. The options concerning the sporting outcomes of the 2019/20 season remain under careful and timely consideration, and further updates will be given in due course.

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-statement-remaining-league-matches-61884

bouncingoffthewalls
22-04-2020, 12:33 PM
"The options concerning the sporting outcomes of the 2019/20 season remain under careful and timely consideration, and further updates will be given in due course."

In other words...we have not going a clue what we are going to do now!!

LilCrazyKim
22-04-2020, 12:35 PM
I get the feeling the National League have shot their load way too early here.

I don't know. Judging by some of the news reports over the past couple of days I don't think Leagues One and Two (at least) are far off following suit.

upthemaggies
22-04-2020, 12:35 PM
The clubs that wanted to carry on would have been those still in with a shout of promotion, those clubs should be allowed to play-off.

Notts78
22-04-2020, 12:36 PM
I understand why they want to provide clarity by cancelling the reminder of this season. The majority of clubs will of course vote to end the season so players contracts can wind down and other staff members potentially furloughed or laid off until a time the new season can start. No guarantees that this could resume at the normal date.
The worst thing about this decision is of course the human element. Many players and staff members will be out of work shortly with no income.
Notts only saving grace is the cancellation only confirms those fixtures up until the 25th April which could be read as play offs in some capacity to establish promotion.

Russ_OTF
22-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Inevitable really.

Might get the play-off games behind closed doors if we are lucky but that depends if the league's above us carry on or not.

Personally I can't see football coking back at all until 2021.

Woodypie
22-04-2020, 12:38 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381612 Fair enough. That should logically mean no promotion or relegation because all games and their results are null and void.

Rez1862
22-04-2020, 12:40 PM
The NL have shown no leadership here. Why are they asking the clubs what they want to do when it's obvious that clubs with nothing to play for/fighting relegation will opt to end the season?
They should have waited to see what the EFL are planning to do then made an informed decision. It's also a huge kick in the teeth for the fans who have paid hundreds of pounds to follow their clubs for a load of glorified friendlies. Very unhappy with this decision.

ivansneck
22-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Correct decision IMO

legs77
22-04-2020, 12:46 PM
The problem now is we cant start again until fans are allowed back into grounds as you cant play BCD with no money coming in.

As if you void it now then what is going to change by August/Sept that is something that needs answering and i'd like to know how clubs are going to stay afloat.

upthemaggies
22-04-2020, 12:50 PM
Of all the seasons in which we could have got relegated into non-league, we picked the worst possible year.

Woodypie
22-04-2020, 12:50 PM
I agree, but as we are back to ground zero, as it where, shouldn't only one team be relegated (Yeovil) at the start of the new season because of the Bury situation?

Notts78
22-04-2020, 12:59 PM
The clubs that wanted to carry on would have been those still in with a shout of promotion, those clubs should be allowed to play-off.

I suppose it depends on how the league have communicated to clubs about whether relegation/promotion will happen and how. 9 games is a lot of points. Clubs in mid table would still have harboured hopes of snatching a play off spot, which if look at the table there were a number of clubs that could have put a run together. I read somewhere recently that only 4 clubs voted to keep the season going. Everyone assumes it’s those at the top but how many get relegated? So if the league are thinking of calling it a day, using current positions/PPG to determine finishing positions, the bottom 4 would vote against it.

Clutching at straws I know.

navypie
22-04-2020, 01:02 PM
I was hoping that they would see the season out behind closed doors but that's now been taken away. With testing surely that could have been possible , I just wanted something to look forward to.

ivansneck
22-04-2020, 01:04 PM
I was hoping that they would see the season out behind closed doors but that's now been taken away. With testing surely that could have been possible , I just wanted something to look forward to.

I know what you mean, but I don't think we should be 'wasting' testing on footballers, or other sportsmen/women at present.

Notts78
22-04-2020, 01:05 PM

Play offs could still be behind closed doors. Income from BT sport coverage where they charge X amount on a pay per view basis, some going towards the teams involved. To be honest the money doesn’t bother me, it’s the chance to go up that is more important. I wonder what the Brothers think?

Notts78
22-04-2020, 01:07 PM
I know what you mean, but I don't think we should be 'wasting' testing on footballers, or other sportsmen/women at present.

That’s not the only issue. Think about the fury if a footballer breaks a leg and takes up an NHS bed

LilCrazyKim
22-04-2020, 01:08 PM
The difficulty with still organising play-offs is we don't yet know what the PL and EFL is going to do. I know they're holding out on resuming but I don't think they're too far off making a similar decision. There's some talk that the PL might temporarily run with 22 clubs when football returns and if that happened there'd be additional clubs going up throughout the league system.

navypie
22-04-2020, 01:13 PM
I don't think they would be wasted at all. We all know how important mental health is, giving people hope and providing them with a sense of normality in these anything but normal times could have been time and money well spent.

navypie
22-04-2020, 01:15 PM
That’s not the only issue. Think about the fury if a footballer breaks a leg and takes up an NHS bed
People are still falling off bikes. Better add, or getting knocked off them like I was last year by a knobhead driver.

i961pie
22-04-2020, 01:21 PM
I see the national league have voted in favour of cancelling the season, but haven't decided on promotion etc.

i961pie
22-04-2020, 01:23 PM
Voted to cancel the rest of the season

Notts78
22-04-2020, 01:24 PM
I see the national league have voted in favour of cancelling the season, but haven't decided on promotion etc.

That’s probably more to do with what happens further up the pyramid

BigFatPie
22-04-2020, 01:30 PM
No relegation from the league and Barrow going up seems the likeliest outcome. Relegating teams based on an incomplete season would guarantee legal action, even if they seem like the certainties that Stevenage appear to be.

Typical Notts, f00ked over again.

upthemaggies
22-04-2020, 01:33 PM

Even if L2 null and void, there's still going to be one place up for grabs. I guess the wider football community will favour Bury being re-instated if possible. If not Bury then Barrow will probably gain more sympathy among the general public than us.

Glad2BeAPie
22-04-2020, 01:48 PM
Yes we we're informed of this just an hour before this, but thanks for info anyway

BanjoPie
22-04-2020, 01:59 PM
Use the Plays offs as a 'Pre-season tournament'

Notts78
22-04-2020, 02:13 PM

How would that work? Replace normal pre season games with these? How would teams budget? Would you be happy paying League 2 price for a season ticket in advance of knowing what League we would be in?

BanjoPie
22-04-2020, 02:26 PM

"You stupid boy Banjo"

legs77
22-04-2020, 02:43 PM

The NHS should really all be tested by the end of May if not then why not ?

Football is a big billion pound business it makes the Govt more money and if it is on tv everyday then people are likely to stay in.

As for its a good idea to cancel the season what happens to Barnet fans 7 games short how do they pay em back ?

the_anticlough
22-04-2020, 02:49 PM
The NL have shown no leadership here. Why are they asking the clubs what they want to do when it's obvious that clubs with nothing to play for/fighting relegation will opt to end the season?
They should have waited to see what the EFL are planning to do then made an informed decision. It's also a huge kick in the teeth for the fans who have paid hundreds of pounds to follow their clubs for a load of glorified friendlies. Very unhappy with this decision.

This is the post I agree with the most.

If their competition is so worthless to them I'm going to think long and hard about investing my time and money in something that can be scrubbed out so casually. They're sports clubs first and businesses second. If they're not sure about that, they can ask the fans and nobody supports them as a business.
It was the 2019/20 season and we've still got 8 months 1 week of 2020 to go. We can already count the 2020/21 season out. There won't be a vaccine til deep into 2021, the last quarter of this year at the earliest.

They should have valued and honoured their season

SwalePie
22-04-2020, 02:55 PM

If their competition is so worthless to them I'm going to think long and hard about investing my time and money in something that can be scrubbed out so casually. They're sports clubs first and businesses second. If they're not sure about that, they can ask the fans and nobody supports them as a business.
It was the 2019/20 season and we've still got 8 months 1 week of 2020 to go. We can already count the 2020/21 season out. There won't be a vaccine til deep into 2021, the last quarter of this year at the earliest.

Totally agree.

BigFatPie
22-04-2020, 02:59 PM

Surely all that is a bit more relevant if/when the season is declared null and void?

OP67
22-04-2020, 03:03 PM
I can't see the 20-21 season starting in August so I don't know why they don't just finish this season when it's safe to do so and scrapping the 20-21 season. However having said that players contracts run out end of June so how would that work? We all know that players agents are an evil bunch of money grabbing *******s no matter what league you're in!!

I worry for all clubs including us for the future and the economic disaster that will follow will mean many people just will not have the spare money for football anymore.

legs77
22-04-2020, 03:21 PM
That is my point OP67 how can they just reset ?

One IF football us back in Sept it will be BCD so who will buy a ST and second what happens if there is another wave then the season gets suspended in Dec, what happens then ?

Clubs from league one down are screwed apart from ones with wealthy owners thats the reality who is going to buy clubs now after this.

upthemaggies
22-04-2020, 03:29 PM
I worry for all clubs including us for the future and the economic disaster that will follow will mean many people just will not have the spare money for football anymore.

I'm still hopeful Notts can survive this crisis with our current owners, I'd like to think we're in a stronger position than most in the 3rd tier down, certainly 4th tier and below.
Many clubs struggling to survive lockdown who do make it through to the other side may not be able to limp on much further, we may find ourselves flying up the leagues because other teams can no longer afford to compete properly or go under.

60YearsAPie
22-04-2020, 03:30 PM
Remaining matches have been cancelled!!

Glad2BeAPie
22-04-2020, 03:33 PM
I'm still hopeful Notts can survive this crisis with our current owners, I'd like to think we're in a stronger position than most in the 3rd tier down, certainly 4th tier and below.
Many clubs struggling to survive lockdown who do make it through to the other side may not be able to limp on much further, we may find ourselves flying up the leagues because other teams can no longer afford to compete properly or go under.

They've already said they can cope with the financial side of this situation

Oldstripy
22-04-2020, 03:44 PM
Notts County Football Club

Board statement:

Our board of directors have issued the following statement after the National League today announced that the majority of its clubs have voted to cancel the remaining matches of the 2019-20 season, with a further vote to follow on how the outcomes of the campaign should be decided.

We would like to place on record our disappointment that the 2019-20 Vanarama National League season has been brought to a premature end.

While we appreciate the views of other clubs and respect the overall outcome of this vote as a representation of opinion across the three divisions, our stance has always been that the National League should operate in tandem with the EFL due to the intrinsic link between the two leagues.

We were therefore opposed to this vote being imposed – particularly as there was no clear indication of what the next steps would be in terms of deciding the conclusion of the season, including end-of-season play-offs and matters concerning promotion and relegation.

We have written to the National League on a number of occasions over the past month with detailed, constructive and well-considered options for how we believe the league can be concluded, thus giving clubs involved at both ends of the table a fair opportunity to compete for what they deserve.

One of such proposals would lead to clubs in less promising or precarious positions being able to conclude their season once and for all, leaving the others to resolve matters in the spirit of the competition over a short time period.

We thank the National League for allowing us to submit our thoughts and hope they are duly considered by the board and its executive to enable them to provide a fair way of deciding these huge outcomes in the next stage of voting.

To be clear, while all remaining scheduled league matches have been cancelled, we are not ruling out a return to action in some form between now and the formal conclusion of the 2019-20 campaign. We will therefore continue to ask our players to train remotely and, as a club, we’ll make sure we’re ready to resume our push for promotion if we’re given the opportunity we feel we and others deserve.

We’d also like to advise our supporters that no decision has yet been taken by the FA on how this season’s Trophy campaign will be concluded. We’re mindful that hundreds of our fans purchased tickets for the first leg of our semi-final away to Harrogate Town and appreciate their patience. As soon as we have an update on what’s planned for the competition, we’ll circulate it.

In the meantime we look forward to hearing from the National League with regards to what the next round of voting will entail, with the continued hope that our fight for an immediate return to the EFL isn’t over.

Stay home, stay safe and thank you for your amazing continued support.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2020/april/board-statement-on-cancellation-of-fixtures-220420/

the_anticlough
22-04-2020, 03:48 PM
Good statement from the club - I feel sorry for them

Riverleeno
22-04-2020, 04:06 PM
I agree, good statement, and I think for Notts fans this is the key point:

"our stance has always been that the National League should operate in tandem with the EFL due to the intrinsic link between the two leagues"

If by taking this decision the National League jeopardises promotion/relegation between it and the EFL then this decision could prove very costly. Besides the argument over player contracts why nullify this season? Why start another season which is then itself at the mercy of coronavirus? As other posters have said surely it's better to conclude this season when possible before embarking on the next one.

"We have written to the National League on a number of occasions over the past month with detailed, constructive and well-considered options for how we believe the league can be concluded, thus giving clubs involved at both ends of the table a fair opportunity to compete for what they deserve"

This makes sense so what on earth are the National league thinking?

navypie
22-04-2020, 04:11 PM
Notts County Football Club

Board statement:

Our board of directors have issued the following statement after the National League today announced that the majority of its clubs have voted to cancel the remaining matches of the 2019-20 season, with a further vote to follow on how the outcomes of the campaign should be decided.

We would like to place on record our disappointment that the 2019-20 Vanarama National League season has been brought to a premature end.

While we appreciate the views of other clubs and respect the overall outcome of this vote as a representation of opinion across the three divisions, our stance has always been that the National League should operate in tandem with the EFL due to the intrinsic link between the two leagues.

We were therefore opposed to this vote being imposed – particularly as there was no clear indication of what the next steps would be in terms of deciding the conclusion of the season, including end-of-season play-offs and matters concerning promotion and relegation.

We have written to the National League on a number of occasions over the past month with detailed, constructive and well-considered options for how we believe the league can be concluded, thus giving clubs involved at both ends of the table a fair opportunity to compete for what they deserve.

One of such proposals would lead to clubs in less promising or precarious positions being able to conclude their season once and for all, leaving the others to resolve matters in the spirit of the competition over a short time period.

We thank the National League for allowing us to submit our thoughts and hope they are duly considered by the board and its executive to enable them to provide a fair way of deciding these huge outcomes in the next stage of voting.

To be clear, while all remaining scheduled league matches have been cancelled, we are not ruling out a return to action in some form between now and the formal conclusion of the 2019-20 campaign. We will therefore continue to ask our players to train remotely and, as a club, we’ll make sure we’re ready to resume our push for promotion if we’re given the opportunity we feel we and others deserve.

We’d also like to advise our supporters that no decision has yet been taken by the FA on how this season’s Trophy campaign will be concluded. We’re mindful that hundreds of our fans purchased tickets for the first leg of our semi-final away to Harrogate Town and appreciate their patience. As soon as we have an update on what’s planned for the competition, we’ll circulate it.

In the meantime we look forward to hearing from the National League with regards to what the next round of voting will entail, with the continued hope that our fight for an immediate return to the EFL isn’t over.

Stay home, stay safe and thank you for your amazing continued support.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2020/april/board-statement-on-cancellation-of-fixtures-220420/

Good statement from the club - I feel sorry for them

Excellent statement from my club. It's not the hope that kills you, it's the taking it away.

Braddpie
22-04-2020, 04:56 PM
Yes we we're informed of this just an hour before this, but thanks for info anyway

So correct me if I’m wrong but if this season does not exist .
And we must revert to the end of last season when we were relegated
Does that mean because of burns demise
We are not relegated .?

Braddpie
22-04-2020, 04:57 PM
Sorry bury

boland
22-04-2020, 05:02 PM
It’s only the rest of the season cancelled and promotion/relegation still to be decided on.

legs77
22-04-2020, 05:04 PM
I dont think they will do that replace us with Bury.

The way I see it is nobody down from league 2 and Barrow up from NL to balance numbers out

It wont be right or fair but what can you do.

There wont be any football to watch for a while so I have no idea how you retain/buy players now.

Be prepared for us to lose Roberts/Wootton as well due to financial issues placed on us with no fans in the ground and very few ST sold which is nailed on now.

navypie
22-04-2020, 05:11 PM

The way I see it is nobody down from league 2 and Barrow up from NL to balance numbers out

There wont be any football to watch for a while so I have no idea how you retain/buy players now.

Be prepared for us to lose Roberts/Wootton as well due to financial issues placed on us with no fans in the ground and very few ST sold which is nailed on now.

The way I see it is no ones got a f00kin clue what will happen.

Glad2BeAPie
22-04-2020, 05:11 PM

Our owners made statement reasuring fans about them being ok financially through this period

legs77
22-04-2020, 05:16 PM
Did you not read the owners statement about them being ok financially through this period

Yes I have read what they said but I must have missed the bit where it said we will keep our best players.

They might keep us as a club but ALL clubs are losing money so need to still balance the books still and they may not want to stay if league clubs come calling.

legs77
22-04-2020, 05:19 PM

No that is right but as a forum it us perfectly normal to have an opinion.

Of course I might be wrong and I hope I am we'll have to wait and see.

Notts78
22-04-2020, 05:36 PM
A 2nd vote to determine promotion and relegation? How? When absolutely nobody knows what the Prem and EFL are thinking.
Notts could be screwed in a number ways... without being big headed, we are simply a massive club at National League level and the League and clubs will want us in there again. Look at the crowds we take away, is there an other club that does the same so consistently?
The only thing that will possibly save Notts if play offs is not an option, is the EFL promote all sides in the automatic spots with no relegation, meaning 3 sides go up from League 2. That could mean 3 go up or even 4 from the National League due to Bury’s demise.
To be honest it’s a **** storm and one I wish Notts were not in. If we were mid table none of us would give a hoot.

navypie
22-04-2020, 05:37 PM

No that is right but as a forum it us perfectly normal to have an opinion.

Of course I might be wrong and I hope I am we'll have to wait and see.

Point taken and I'd like to apologise for using virtua(ish)l bad language.

navypie
22-04-2020, 05:47 PM
A 2nd vote to determine promotion and relegation? How? When absolutely nobody knows what the Prem and EFL are thinking.
Notts could be screwed in a number ways... without being big headed, we are simply a massive club at National League level and the League and clubs will want us in there again. Look at the crowds we take away, is there an other club that does the same so consistently?
The only thing that will possibly save Notts if play offs is not an option, is the EFL promote all sides in the automatic spots with no relegation, meaning 3 sides go up from League 2. That could mean 3 go up or even 4 from the National League due to Bury’s demise.
To be honest it’s a **** storm and one I wish Notts were not in. If we were mid table none of us would give a hoot.

Well, money if the EFL are consistent. Remember Coventry.

Notts78
22-04-2020, 05:50 PM
Yes I have read what they said but I must have missed the bit where it said we will keep our best players.

They might keep us as a club but ALL clubs are losing money so need to still balance the books still and they may not want to stay if league clubs come calling.

I see what you are saying but ALL clubs regardless of level are impacted. So who could afford to come in and say to Notts here is 100k for Roberts? Also we can’t simply sack the player as we would still pay out on the contract, which wouldn’t save money. The reality is that in the summer most players will leave the club with the exception of those under contract. Unfortunately we could lose some good players like Lacey.
I can see a point where Notts place those remaining at the club under furlough. If we don’t, that would actually give me more confidence if the financial position at Notts.

legs77
22-04-2020, 06:31 PM
I see what you are saying but ALL clubs regardless of level are impacted. So who could afford to come in and say to Notts here is 100k for Roberts? Also we can’t simply sack the player as we would still pay out on the contract, which wouldn’t save money. The reality is that in the summer most players will leave the club with the exception of those under contract. Unfortunately we could lose some good players like Lacey.
I can see a point where Notts place those remaining at the club under furlough. If we don’t, that would actually give me more confidence if the financial position at Notts.

Yes all clubs are impacted correct but the players mentioned will be gone if a club offers them good terms and the days of transfer fees are likely gone in the lower league for a while we will need to save money regardless of what the owners have said they don’t strike me as being daft.

If you furlough players that is totally legal but I think if you do that the players can go for free whether that is Harry Kane or Callum Roberts the further down you are the more vultures can take your players.

Someone said the virus came in the wrong year could you imagine if this happened with Hardy ?

The only way out of this is if clubs lower down the leagues are told the season can start in September for example and have crowds of around 5000 in the ground (I’m using that figure as Ireland have mentioned that as under a mass gathering)

What is annoying is you are told cancelled, then no it’s not, now suspended then a second vote there is no clear leadership if the NL want to void the season then have the balls to do it yourself.

Jeekay56
22-04-2020, 06:55 PM
Voted to cancel the rest of the season

You posted on the thread started by countygump, then started this thread!
Didn't you like gumpy's thread?

matt_magpie
22-04-2020, 07:53 PM
I’d like to think the club voting system might work for us in the next stage. I don’t think Null and void is on the table and I imagine there’s financial implications with the likes of BT if it is. Voting for no promotion/relegation is only going to be voted for by bottom 4. Voting for top 2 going up is only going to be Barrow / Harrogate. Having champions and then playoffs is going to be voted by barrow +6 other clubs. The only issue is the clubs not involved either way and how they vote and obviously what happens with league 2.

nw6pie
22-04-2020, 07:57 PM
I agree, good statement, and I think for Notts fans this is the key point:

"our stance has always been that the National League should operate in tandem with the EFL due to the intrinsic link between the two leagues"

If by taking this decision the National League jeopardises promotion/relegation between it and the EFL then this decision could prove very costly. Besides the argument over player contracts why nullify this season? Why start another season which is then itself at the mercy of coronavirus? As other posters have said surely it's better to conclude this season when possible before embarking on the next one.

"We have written to the National League on a number of occasions over the past month with detailed, constructive and well-considered options for how we believe the league can be concluded, thus giving clubs involved at both ends of the table a fair opportunity to compete for what they deserve"

This makes sense so what on earth are the National league thinking?

I’m guessing that the majority of clubs in the National League and leagues North and South are like Accrington owner Andy Holt and want to go into “hibernation” (his word) until football can be played again with fans in the ground. That’s the cheapest option for them; otherwise they will have expenses but no income. The sooner they can go into hibernation, the more money they will save/the greater their chances of surviving.

Elsewhere, I see the Dutch top division season is likely to be unfinished, after the government there banned sports events until Sept. 1 at the earliest.

Old_pie
22-04-2020, 08:13 PM
I’m guessing that the majority of clubs in the National League and leagues North and South are like Accrington owner Andy Holt and want to go into “hibernation” (his word) until football can be played again with fans in the ground. That’s the cheapest option for them; otherwise they will have expenses but no income. The sooner they can go into hibernation, the more money they will save/the greater their chances of surviving.

Elsewhere, I see the Dutch top division season is likely to be unfinished, after the government there banned sports events until Sept. 1 at the earliest.

If as the BBC is reporting some form of Social Restrictions are likely to remain for the rest of the year then it makes sense to me to simply freeze the season and restart it in 2021. There's little chance a season starting in Sep 2020 is going to run unaffected. Gaps in the schedule can be sorted with a number of smaller competitions if necessary.

Rubbing out the efforts of this season is wrong.

MAD_MAGPIE
22-04-2020, 08:35 PM

These two posts sum it up for me.

The National League Board have proven they have not got the balls (pardon the pun) between them to make a decision, or not so left the clubs to decide by vote. They’ve been itiching to do something for weeks since they scrubbed the other lower leagues out.

It’s been done in haste as well in my opinion and it now means technically the regular season will finish this Saturday as scheduled. Maybe that’s why they were getting twitchy because the end of the season was coming and wanted an outcome. The only problem is that come this Saturday not everyone will have played 46 games.

So the question is what will happen to those teams in the promotion, playoffs or relegation places? As those planned games will be coming up.

Also what sense does it make to deny clubs the income they so desperately needed because there will certainly be no more home games for the 20/21 season for anyone.

Nine months of this season scrubbed out and thrown away just like that. Yet there is still no certainty as nobody knows how much of next season will suffer a similar fate.

Just imagine the irony if we don’t get fans back in grounds until next year. That period until the start of the 2021/22 season could have been used to complete this season and the entire 2020/21 season cancelled. That will not be an option now.

Wrong decision.

Notts78
22-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Until a final decision about promotion and relegation is decided there is not much to get worked up about. We can’t control what’s happening and we can’t influence it.
Freezing the season indefinitely is not in the best interests of the game and certainly wouldn’t provide a better reflection of who finishes where. Notts and the other clubs are not going to be retaining the services of all the players in the current squads so would need to sign a new squad. This could and I assume would be to Notts advantage. But, there could also be a chairman whose sides sits just outside the playoffs who splash the cash to secure a play off spot. The integrity of the game would certainly come under scrutiny if a league decided to pick up where it left, regardless of when that is.
Look it’s a ****ter. The options are limited. There are so many permutations that could impact on what happens. Prem and EFL decisions. Any clubs that go under, and this is a real possibility.

Woodypie
22-04-2020, 11:04 PM
Until a final decision about promotion and relegation is decided there is not much to get worked up about. We can’t control what’s happening and we can’t influence it.
Freezing the season indefinitely is not in the best interests of the game and certainly wouldn’t provide a better reflection of who finishes where. Notts and the other clubs are not going to be retaining the services of all the players in the current squads so would need to sign a new squad. This could and I assume would be to Notts advantage. But, there could also be a chairman whose sides sits just outside the playoffs who splash the cash to secure a play off spot. The integrity of the game would certainly come under scrutiny if a league decided to pick up where it left, regardless of when that is.
Look it’s a ****ter. The options are limited. There are so many permutations that could impact on what happens. Prem and EFL decisions. Any clubs that go under, and this is a real possibility. The season is null and void. We are back to the end of the 2018/19 season. 2019/20 hasn't happened. We should not be relegated. Whenever the next season does start, Notts should be a League 2 team, because of the Bury situation.

queenslandpie
23-04-2020, 02:23 AM
The season is null and void. We are back to the end of the 2018/19 season. 2019/20 hasn't happened. We should not be relegated. Whenever the next season does start, Notts should be a League 2 team, because of the Bury situation.

Does that mean we get Kevin Nolan and Alan Hardy back as well?

legs77
23-04-2020, 07:26 AM
Does that mean we get Kevin Nolan and Alan Hardy back as well?

Thats if we can find AH he is too busy kissing the Accrington chairmans ar*e on twitter.

I have seen one journo say no National League football until at least Jan 2021 as clubs don't want to play BCD not sure where he has got that from but if true then things will change dramatically unless clubs get lots of financial help.

Pies4u
23-04-2020, 09:41 AM
As others have said, this seems to be an ill thought out strategy given that there is no certainty or clarity about what might happen during "next" season.

The sensible and practical option is to finish this season first before contemplating what happens after that. It is 90% complete anyway and wouldn't unduly delay future proceedings.

It would be the honourable thing for fans who have paid out money in advance, players who have achieved appearance or scoring milestones and Clubs who have striven for success (or even mediocrity or worse) - they all deserve to see the outcome of their efforts, not have them erased from memory & history.

The logistics and practicalities of dealing with a season that "never happened" are actually quite complex. Plus, it doesn't matter to clubs or fans which games are played, or which season they are attributed to - fans pay to watch and games/hospitality etc get played, so get one season finished properly before contemplating starting another which may also be disrupted! There may have to be a season or two where the typical Aug- May calendar goes out the window - so what?

It is the only logical and reasonable solution tbh.

Elite_Pie
23-04-2020, 10:10 AM
As others have said, this seems to be an ill thought out strategy given that there is no certainty or clarity about what might happen during "next" season.

The sensible and practical option is to finish this season first before contemplating what happens after that. It is 90% complete anyway and wouldn't unduly delay future proceedings.

It would be the honourable thing for fans who have paid out money in advance, players who have achieved appearance or scoring milestones and Clubs who have striven for success (or even mediocrity or worse) - they all deserve to see the outcome of their efforts, not have them erased from memory & history.

The logistics and practicalities of dealing with a season that "never happened" are actually quite complex. Plus, it doesn't matter to clubs or fans which games are played, or which season they are attributed to - fans pay to watch and games/hospitality etc get played, so get one season finished properly before contemplating starting another which may also be disrupted! There may have to be a season or two where the typical Aug- May calendar goes out the window - so what?

It is the only logical and reasonable solution tbh.

Fully agree. If it turns out that we can't play games until next February / March, this is going to look a very stupid decision.

upthemaggies
23-04-2020, 10:50 AM
Let the clubs who don't want to play BCD skip next season and go into hibernation until July 2021 to survive, but on the condition they accept that they will likely be playing at a lower level when they return. Those who do want to play next season can be moved up a division if need be. If we've got 80 clubs who want to carry on, let's have 4 divisions of 20 for 2020/21.
For the rest, being relegated would be better than going bust.

Oldstripy
23-04-2020, 01:30 PM
From bbcrnstwitter.

VIDEO: #Notts manager Neal Ardley speaks with
@CharlieSlater15
and says the National League play-offs should still go-ahead when it is safe to do so.

Full interview on the link below...

https://bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08b8qhj

legs77
23-04-2020, 04:07 PM
I see Slater mentioned the Jan 2021 start date I posted earlier looks like guesswork to me.

The interesting part I took notice of is Ardley saying August start with fans is unlikely but maybe October.

As I keep my eyes on the music world I have noticed that a few big acts L.Gallagher & Fatboy Slim have announced free NHS gigs in October and they are at big venues makes me wonder if they have been given a hopeful start date ?

Notts78
23-04-2020, 04:51 PM
I see Slater mentioned the Jan 2021 start date I posted earlier looks like guesswork to me.

The interesting part I took notice of is Ardley saying August start with fans is unlikely but maybe October.

As I keep my eyes on the music world I have noticed that a few big acts L.Gallagher & Fatboy Slim have announced free NHS gigs in October and they are at big venues makes me wonder if they have been given a hopeful start date ?

Looking at the BBC update Re. Bundasliga football it was mentioned in that report that mass gatherings would be allowed from October at the earliest.

nw6pie
23-04-2020, 09:11 PM
Looking at the BBC update Re. Bundasliga football it was mentioned in that report that mass gatherings would be allowed from October at the earliest.

The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that we’ll get a second Covid-19 wave in the winter months. If that happens, I can’t see football coming back until March-April time - when they could have finished this season if they hadn’t been in such a rush/blind panic to cancel everything.

Notts78
23-04-2020, 09:48 PM
The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that we’ll get a second Covid-19 wave in the winter months. If that happens, I can’t see football coming back until March-April time - when they could have finished this season if they hadn’t been in such a rush/blind panic to cancel everything.

I know what you are saying but I simply can’t agree. The integrity of the League would be shot. The players in squads now wouldn’t be the the same players in squads in a year. As much as it pains me ending the regular season was the only viable option. Maybe they could have waited a month or so but let’s be honest all the signs are that it’s not looking likely that things will change.
Can you imagine the fury on here if a side say in 9th at the moment we’re taken over and had a huge windfall that they could chuck at a squad to play the final 9/10 games and then won the playoffs.

magpie_mania
23-04-2020, 10:18 PM
I know what you are saying but I simply can’t agree. The integrity of the League would be shot. The players in squads now wouldn’t be the the same players in squads in a year. As much as it pains me ending the regular season was the only viable option. Maybe they could have waited a month or so but let’s be honest all the signs are that it’s not looking likely that things will change.
Can you imagine the fury on here if a side say in 9th at the moment we’re taken over and had a huge windfall that they could chuck at a squad to play the final 9/10 games and then won the playoffs.

They haven't ended the season. They have cancelled the remainder of the regular fixtures.

Were they to work on PPG, out of the 11 teams in promotion, play-offs and relegation positions, 10 of them would be in exactly the same position as they are now. Only difference is that Barnet would take 7th place, the final play-off spot.

I don't really think there is a problem with the integrity of the league, no-one could have foreseen this coming. Whatever they decide, someone will be unhappy.

LEPiePie
23-04-2020, 10:52 PM
IMO, if they are going to promote anyone it has to be Barrow, no one else.
If they talk about also promoting Harrogate then there is a big problem there as a lot of teams would be saying they could have been caught.

Yes Harrogate had Barrow to play at home, so in theory they could push Barrow for top spot. But over the season they have been top the longest etc. The saying goes its a marathon not a sprint, but the finishing line has been taken away which generally starts the "sprint" faze of the race.

ncfcog
24-04-2020, 05:42 AM
IMO, if they are going to promote anyone it has to be Barrow, no one else.
If they talk about also promoting Harrogate then there is a big problem there as a lot of teams would be saying they could have been caught.

Yes Harrogate had Barrow to play at home, so in theory they could push Barrow for top spot. But over the season they have been top the longest etc. The saying goes its a marathon not a sprint, but the finishing line has been taken away which generally starts the "sprint" faze of the race.

Barrow were on their worst run since hitting top spot, just 7 points from their last 15 available, they still had Harrogate to play and their leading goal scorer had been suspended for the next 3 games following his sending off against us, they might have points in the bag but wouldn’t say they were guaranteed to finish top with 9 games still to play.

the_anticlough
24-04-2020, 05:48 AM

That's a very unlikely scenario.

There's nothing more damaging to 'the integrity of the league' than scrubbing a season that is 80% complete.
I agree with those that say the NL is going to look very foolish when play with fans resumes well beyond August 2020.
It looks like the Bundesliga will restart this season's play behind closed doors in May, and the Premiership could very well follow suit. What will the EFL do then?

It's not inconceivable that the weak and fickle NL will have to reverse its hasty decision.

magpie_mania
24-04-2020, 06:41 AM

There's nothing more damaging to 'the integrity of the league' than scrubbing a season that is 80% complete.
I agree with those that say the NL is going to look very foolish when play with fans resumes well beyond August 2020.
It looks like the Bundesliga will restart this season's play behind closed doors in May, and the Premiership could very well follow suit. What will the EFL do then?

It's not inconceivable that the weak and fickle NL will have to reverse its hasty decision.

This integrity of the league stuff is rubbish in my opinion. We are in unprecedented times. Of course the Premiership will get going again, it's all about the £££s.

Notts78
24-04-2020, 07:29 AM

Which bit was unlikely? Teams losing there squads and having new squads to finish the season next year? Or that an owner chucked money at it and financed promotion?

Elite_Pie
24-04-2020, 09:03 AM
Which bit was unlikely? Teams losing there squads and having new squads to finish the season next year? Or that an owner chucked money at it and financed promotion?

I don't see an issue. Both are likely to happen, but both can happen at any time in a normal season anyway.

the_anticlough
24-04-2020, 10:20 AM
I'll admit that I'm pissed off about the season being cancelled and that it's not entirely the clubs' or league's fault.

They're in a permanent state of being financially strapped. It seems that the driving force behind the cancellation is the timing of end of contract dates and the costs of extending them without any income.

What support have the National League had from the FA or the Government? I don't know, I haven't been following it enough. It would have taken some form of insurance to extend contracts and set up a general transfer embargo...to preserve the clubs in aspic for 3-4 months...

There are problems with what they've done though. Nobody knows what the Premiership or EFL are going to do. And outcomes by votes will inevitably result in some clubs being short-changed in the process (votes are skewed by the vested interests of clubs according to position) and that will stink whether Notts are the beneficiaries or the victims...

But I guess there are bigger concerns in the world right now, so it's almost a 'whatever'

Oldstripy
24-04-2020, 11:00 AM
The National League board will meet on Friday to discuss the next steps after deciding to end their regulation season earlier this week.

In addition to discussing whether it is feasible to continue with the play-offs, the board is expected to provide a few options which will determine how teams conclude the campaign.

Clubs will be asked for their views and the National League has said each future decision will be clearly laid before them before any final determination is made.

As it stands, the English Football League (EFL) is still working on the principle of two teams getting promoted - but that will depend on whatever format the National League decides.

The EFL also needs to balance its divisions for next season after Bury's expulsion meant only 23 sides were left competing in League One.

Football in England is suspended indefinitely, with the Premier League and EFL still hoping to play seasons to a conclusion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league

magpie_mania
24-04-2020, 11:12 AM
The National League board will meet on Friday to discuss the next steps after deciding to end their regulation season earlier this week.

In addition to discussing whether it is feasible to continue with the play-offs, the board is expected to provide a few options which will determine how teams conclude the campaign.

Clubs will be asked for their views and the National League has said each future decision will be clearly laid before them before any final determination is made.

As it stands, the English Football League (EFL) is still working on the principle of two teams getting promoted - but that will depend on whatever format the National League decides.

The EFL also needs to balance its divisions for next season after Bury's expulsion meant only 23 sides were left competing in League One.

Football in England is suspended indefinitely, with the Premier League and EFL still hoping to play seasons to a conclusion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league

I guess that means that the EFL are working on 2 teams promoted but 1 relegated to get it back to 72 teams. (Would also mean 4 promoted from L2 but only 3 relegated from L1). That would leave the NL a team short though.

legs77
24-04-2020, 11:51 AM
If Bury return to say National North then they could promote an extra team from NL North/South to even the numbers up.

What I said on here about 6 months or so ago is ALL teams need to stay within budget if you only get £2k a month do not spend over £2k a month its pretty simple to me but someone said to me "Football doesnt work like that Legs" he/she was right at the time but that has to change now.

Before we talk about play offs etc we need to find out what the EFL are doing as if they say void and nobody gets promoted/relegated then nothing the NL can do, not that I think this will happen just saying it could.

MAD_MAGPIE
24-04-2020, 02:43 PM
If Bury return to say National North then they could promote an extra team from NL North/South to even the numbers up.

What I said on here about 6 months or so ago is ALL teams need to stay within budget if you only get £2k a month do not spend over £2k a month its pretty simple to me but someone said to me "Football doesnt work like that Legs" he/she was right at the time but that has to change now.

Before we talk about play offs etc we need to find out what the EFL are doing as if they say void and nobody gets promoted/relegated then nothing the NL can do, not that I think this will happen just saying it could.

The concept of living within your means does seem to have escape the football world.

We’ve talked about this on here for many years about those clubs including our own that have had financial difficulties. Likewise with what happened at Bury and Bolton. Those who spend recklessly to get promoted or those that go through a boom and bust period and what reward is there for those clubs who are frugal and live within their means? Well it seems now those clubs who have been astute will be best placed to ride this Tsunami and come through the other side relatively intact.

If this doesn’t wake football up to take control of itself and no longer continue the thirst for success at any cost along with things like pandering to excessive wage demands driven by parasitic players agents then the future for many clubs in the lower leagues seems bleak. Maybe that is one positive that will come out of this.

As you say football has to change now in order to survive and continue to be as rich as it is with so many clubs and so much history.

That is why the footballing authorities must now introduce something along the lines of evidence to demonstrate that a club has the financial resources and ability to remain solvent throughout the season before the season starts to be eligible to enter the competition. That was required after ourselves, Bolton and Bury financial meltdowns. It’s certainly required more so after this crisis.

The one saving grace for Notts is thankfully this crisis did not happen this time last year and we now have sensible and astute owners who saved us and will hopefully steer the club through this testing period where we can pick up where we left off some day.

LilCrazyKim
24-04-2020, 04:39 PM
I believe the Bury phoenix club has already been accepted into the North West Counties League.

Notts78
24-04-2020, 05:22 PM
I believe the Bury phoenix club has already been accepted into the North West Counties League.

Good luck to them

Riverleeno
24-04-2020, 10:06 PM
The BBC goes through some of the options - How do you solve a problem like the National League"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52414107

Seems to back the idea that Barrow *should* get promoted but I don't think it was a certainty.

BanjoPie
28-04-2020, 11:01 AM
This says it all15664