PDA

View Full Version : O/T Are Coarse fishing restrictions to be relaxed?

Brin
23-04-2020, 03:13 PM
As a keen fisherman, I was semi pleased to hear from a friend yesterday that the Government, in light of the current restrictions in place, are to relax the rule on coarse fishing. This is based on a social and well being theory.

I've not read anywhere else about this so, does anyone else have or know of any further update?

Don't go jumping down my throat saying if so, fishermen are being selfish under the current guidelines etc. Let me explain my particular set up.

My car is well fuelled so no need to call at a station to fill up. I fish on private land. The fishing pegs I have access to (24) are some 30-40 feet apart. I have absolutely no other contact with any other fisherman close by me. Those that do fish will know that there's very little speech between fishermen once you're pegged in to fish. It is after all a solitary sport.

The only other contact I would have is with the bailiff who calls to collect my day ticket fee which, I can quite conveniently place in a bag and merely place it on the floor for him to retrieve at a safe distance from myself. There is absolutely no need for him to approach me.

Do these seem reasonable and overall, good safety guidelines so fishing can re commence? I am probably in more imminent danger/likelihood to catch something, whilst shopping at the supermarket.

John2
23-04-2020, 03:30 PM
I am probably in more imminent danger/likelihood to catch something, whilst shopping at the supermarket.

The difference with the supermarket is that you need to buy food in order to survive.

Some restrictions may get eased, but if your only source is your mate and nothing in any official channels I wouldn't hold your breath.

WanChaiMiller
23-04-2020, 03:50 PM
I've heard a strong rumour it will be opened up to the more polite fisherman first.

Brin
23-04-2020, 04:20 PM
The difference with the supermarket is that you need to buy food in order to survive.

Some restrictions may get eased, but if your only source is your mate and nothing in any official channels I wouldn't hold your breath.

John, and that is the reason why I asked if anyone else had heard anything on this.

LincsMiller
23-04-2020, 04:53 PM
As a keen fisherman, I was semi pleased to hear from a friend yesterday that the Government, in light of the current restrictions in place, are to relax the rule on coarse fishing. This is based on a social and well being theory.

I've not read anywhere else about this so, does anyone else have or know of any further update?

Don't go jumping down my throat saying if so, fishermen are being selfish under the current guidelines etc. Let me explain my particular set up.

My car is well fuelled so no need to call at a station to fill up. I fish on private land. The fishing pegs I have access to (24) are some 30-40 feet apart. I have absolutely no other contact with any other fisherman close by me. Those that do fish will know that there's very little speech between fishermen once you're pegged in to fish. It is after all a solitary sport.

The only other contact I would have is with the bailiff who calls to collect my day ticket fee which, I can quite conveniently place in a bag and merely place it on the floor for him to retrieve at a safe distance from myself. There is absolutely no need for him to approach me.

Do these seem reasonable and overall, good safety guidelines so fishing can re commence? I am probably in more imminent danger/likelihood to catch something, whilst shopping at the supermarket.

Brin, have a look at maggotdrowners.com forum, a couple of posts on there at present

CAMiller
23-04-2020, 05:03 PM
Not that it helps Brin but the governor here mentioned the recreational fishing ban here might be lifted in the next couple of days XD

As for food shopping being essential, many large supermarkets/discount warehouses here that sell food and other items (just like Asda etc. do there) are reporting problems with shoppers 'lingering' much longer than they need to as they are so bored being at home. At least Costco have banned families and limit entry to 2 people. Supermarket where I ventured out to shop for the first time in a fortnight I was nearly trampled by a couple with 6 kids in tow, manhandling all the goods as if nothing had changed.

Brin
23-04-2020, 05:04 PM
Lincs, I nearly choked at the fines they are giving out in Spain if caught repeat offending! Wonder if anyone has been charged at that rate?

Tried to register on the site but unfortunately it won't allow me to do so. Some light hearted banter though that I enjoyed reading. Cheers.

crashbang
23-04-2020, 05:07 PM
As a keen fisherman, I was semi pleased

Theres a punch line somewhere.

Brin
23-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Not that it helps Brin but the governor here mentioned the recreational fishing ban here might be lifted in the next couple of days XD

As for food shopping being essential, many large supermarkets/discount warehouses here that sell food and other items (just like Asda etc. do there) are reporting problems with shoppers 'lingering' much longer than they need to as they are so bored being at home. At least Costco have banned families and limit entry to 2 people. Supermarket where I ventured out to shop for the first time in a fortnight I was nearly trampled by a couple with 6 kids in tow, manhandling all the goods as if nothing had changed.

CAM, damn! Just looked and my line won't stretch that far XD. As for the shopping restrictions here, it's one in one out. Small altercation at the local Aldi the other day when security wouldn't let a bloke in with his Mrs. Obviously didn't read the signs while he's queuing...doh!

Brin
23-04-2020, 05:12 PM
Theres a punch line somewhere.

XD... easy on Crash

CAMiller
23-04-2020, 05:44 PM
CAM, damn! Just looked and my line won't stretch that far XD. As for the shopping restrictions here, it's one in one out. Small altercation at the local Aldi the other day when security wouldn't let a bloke in with his Mrs. Obviously didn't read the signs while he's queuing...doh!

How does that work then? How do the 'gatekeepers' know they were together if they stood in a line? Costco is a membership so it's easy to enforce.

CAMiller
27-04-2020, 04:54 PM
Recreational fisherman here are revolting. Like most, still don't seem to get that it's not the activity itself that's the problem but the fact that travel to get there and going out on boats could result in using up emergency services that are better deployed doing other things at the moment.

great_fire
27-04-2020, 05:04 PM
Recreational fisherman here are revolting. Like most, still don't seem to get that it's not the activity itself that's the problem but the fact that travel to get there and going out on boats could result in using up emergency services that are better deployed doing other things at the moment.

Hospitals are actually quieter than normal though, the Nightingale hospital in Birmingham has had no patients at all, the one in London only a few.

CAMiller
27-04-2020, 06:07 PM
Hospitals are actually quieter than normal though, the Nightingale hospital in Birmingham has had no patients at all, the one in London only a few.

Same here. Field hospitals were set up as a precaution but have now been stood down and were thankfully not needed. However, the front line workers deserve a break so I can understand being cautionary about 'releasing the Kraken' too soon. I for one won't be rushing to get back to work on a bus packed with 100 people, especially as they are limited to 18 at the moment but more disconcertingly since fare collection was suspended (to save the drivers from close contact) they have become mobile homes for the homeless.

Archiemiller
28-04-2020, 06:40 PM
Brin, have a look at maggotdrowners.com forum, a couple of posts on there at present

Get thissen on MDs Brin, more millers fans on there than here, see if you can pick em out, if youre a keen angler like myself its a must, best forum by a country mile. UTM

CAMiller
28-04-2020, 07:26 PM
Recreational fishing being allowed here again from next week although in true US fashion I believe the fish are considering a lawsuit XD

Golf and dogging are also being taken off the restricted list.

gm_gm
28-04-2020, 07:38 PM
Golf and dogging are also being taken off the restricted list.

Amen CAM, the golf not the dogging

CAMiller
28-04-2020, 07:46 PM
Amen CAM, the golf not the dogging

You can only play with one person outside your family/those you live with but you can play as a four if all from the same family/people living in the same house. That's the rules for golf, not sure about dogging XD

LincsMiller
28-04-2020, 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=CAMiller;39485704]Recreational fisherman here are revolting.

I must admit Cam, the ones over here can be a bit unwashed at times :D

Ronners
29-04-2020, 01:24 PM
Ironically, I was furloughed from this week, and although I haven't been fishing for years, I've been watching some old John Wilson fishing videos on YouTube.......f**k me this is going to be a long 3 weeks