PDA

View Full Version : Colchester United Release Four First-Team Players due to financial Pressure

Ericsladkilnhurst
27-04-2020, 09:39 PM
Colchester United have become the first club in the EFL to release players, due to the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic, with the chairman, Robbie Cowling, admitting he could not afford to offer them new deals.
A club statement today Monday confirmed that captain Luke Prosser, Frank Nouble, Ryan Jackson, and Brandon Comley, who had all made more than 20 appearances, for the league two side this season, All four players will be released from their contracts, at the end of June.
Looks like this is the first, of what may become many of the fallout of financial pressure on clubs, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

John2
27-04-2020, 10:09 PM
Things like this start to make any argument for extending the season beyond the end of June unviable if they want to preserve some semblance of integrity. If training is going to begin mid May and they need 56 days or whatever it was its just not possible.

They really should cancel the season.

millertop
28-04-2020, 06:39 AM
It needs to get sorted ASAP, forget what the prem want and concentrate on Your EFL clubs

Brin
28-04-2020, 08:49 AM
Colchester United have become the first club in the EFL to release players, due to the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic, with the chairman, Robbie Cowling, admitting he could not afford to offer them new deals.
A club statement today Monday confirmed that captain Luke Prosser, Frank Nouble, Ryan Jackson, and Brandon Comley, who had all made more than 20 appearances, for the league two side this season, All four players will be released from their contracts, at the end of June.
Looks like this is the first, of what may become many of the fallout of financial pressure on clubs, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Ericslad, Financial pressure or an easy way of saying we don't want your services anymore so find another club? It's not a cynical view of mine but, I feel this is where a lot of clubs will shed players they simply need to offload for various reasons using the current situation to their benefit.

20 or more appearances each this season, they weren't fringe players then but, letting them go and the club Captain is one of them, doesn't add up. Not that we'll ever know, but do you think they will have asked the players to take a pay drop before releasing them?

gru
28-04-2020, 09:03 AM
Must have been out of contract end of this season. Roth U know to our expense you can't just release players who are still under contract unless it's by mutual agreement.

Gainsbro_Miller
28-04-2020, 09:29 AM
Robbie Cowling is on Talk Sport atm

PerigordMiller
28-04-2020, 12:21 PM
Not sure this is a big issue.

If they were out of contract in June, and were not going to be offered a new contract, all they have done is let them know a week or so earlier than normal.

Brin
28-04-2020, 12:25 PM
Not sure this is a big issue.

If they were out of contract in June, and were not going to be offered a new contract, all they have done is let them know a week or so earlier than normal.

Four first team regulars one of who is the club Captain, nah it stinks of getting rid of the high earners the easy way. It will be the way forward for most clubs now seeing how they have lost so much revenue. Hate to say it but I'm glad it's happened but, not under the circumstances that brought it on, as I feel it will stop all the stupidly of over priced fees demanded by football agents, in all leagues!

howdydoo
28-04-2020, 12:57 PM
All out of contract end of June. If the chairman wants to exercise financial prudence that's up to him. Clubs are struggling anyway, without losing their income streams.

Give a moment's thought to all the 2nd year apprentices who have gone through the system and won't be getting a pro contract because of the Coronavirus. These 4 lads will probably get fixed up somewhere albeit for less money.

Plus these journeymen will have had cocky agents taking the p!ss for the last 10 years. Trust me.

caytonmiller
28-04-2020, 01:25 PM
Won't be a option for warnie/Stewart. I belive the 6 players who were out of contract with us this summer. Wood, mattock, cooper, kayode, lamy & hinds. Only lamy and hinds have not got extension. (Hinds gone to Lincoln). Not sure lamy will get owt.

millertop
28-04-2020, 01:36 PM
We're going to be a lesser team without those four," Cowling said.

"We've worked so hard put ourselves in a good place and we don't want to lose them. We'd like nothing more than to go and finish it but there are much bigger pictures. This isn't about getting promotion. It's about the future of the club."

http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52457574

gru
28-04-2020, 03:41 PM
Won't be a option for warnie/Stewart. I belive the 6 players who were out of contract with us this summer. Wood, mattock, cooper, kayode, lamy & hinds. Only lamy and hinds have not got extension. (Hinds gone to Lincoln). Not sure lamy will get owt.

Wood he's got another year. Mattock think it's two. Both are definitely not out of contract end of this season. Pretty certain Cooper & Kayode aren't. Lamy the club have the option of a contract extension but if the club will question marks. They let him out on loan for two questionable wide loan signings so can't be one of Warney's boys! Back to Colchester the 4 they have released will have to get payed till the end of their contract so they are not saving anything. They are in the play-offs in league 2 so just basically saying they don't want this season resuming.

Ericsladkilnhurst
28-04-2020, 09:34 PM
I think how the chairman was talking, he wanted to renew the contracts of the players, but the club don't have the funds to do this.