PDA

View Full Version : O/T:- Does anyone recall title of this book?

Woodypie
19-05-2020, 12:51 PM
Very niche one this, but there is a lot of interest in books now! In 1990 I read a book while on holiday in France and I would like to read it again. All Google searches have failed. It was in the hotel bookcase. It was a comedy by a British author, in the sort of writing style of Waugh or Greene, about a bloke driving his dead Aunt's body back from France to UK. I have a feeling it was written late 70s or early 80s. Surely Sid would know!

Borg elite
19-05-2020, 06:24 PM
Very niche one this, but there is a lot of interest in books now! In 1990 I read a book while on holiday in France and I would like to read it again. All Google searches have failed. It was in the hotel bookcase. It was a comedy by a British author, in the sort of writing style of Waugh or Greene, about a bloke driving his dead Aunt's body back from France to UK. I have a feeling it was written late 70s or early 80s. Surely Sid would know!

I think it might be 'Travels with my Aunt ' by Graham Greene,1969.👍

sidders
19-05-2020, 06:32 PM
Not sure you're right there, Borg. In 'Travels with my Aunt' Henry meets up with his aunt at his mother's funeral and she persuades him to go travelling with her all over the world.
I'll try and do some research unless Woody comes back and tells me that Borg's description sounds right.

ncfcog
19-05-2020, 06:40 PM
Not sure you're right there, Borg. In 'Travels with my Aunt' Henry meets up with his aunt at his mother's funeral and she persuades him to go travelling with her all over the world.
I'll try and do some research unless Woody comes back and tells me that Borg's description sounds right.

I’d be inclined to think Borg is right and the detail has left Woody’s memory a bit seeing as it was 30 years ago. He also mentions in the style of Greene.

“Henry Pulling, a retired bank manager, meets his septuagenarian Aunt Augusta for the first time in over fifty years at what he supposes to be his mother's funeral. Soon after, she persuades Henry to abandon Southwood, his dahlias and the Major next door to travel her way, Brighton, Paris, Istanbul, Paraguay. Through Aunt Augusta, a veteran of Europe's hotel bedrooms, Henry joins a shiftless, twilight society: mixing with hippies, war criminals, CIA men; smoking pot, breaking all the currency regulations and eventually coming alive after a dull suburban life.”

In Travels with my Aunt Graham Greene not only gives us intoxicating entertainment but also confronts us with some of the most perplexing of human dilemmas.

Either way I’m going to read it because it looks a good read! If you do find it’s summat else Sid then great, that’ll be two to read!

Borg elite
19-05-2020, 07:13 PM
That's was my line of thinking og, my memory plays tricks on me nowadays as well.

queenslandpie
19-05-2020, 08:47 PM
Maybe try on here? https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/185-what-s-the-name-of-that-book

Woodypie
19-05-2020, 09:15 PM
I think it might be 'Travels with my Aunt ' by Graham Greene,1969.👍 Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it isn't the right book. I have read all Greene's novels, Travels with my Aunt is very good, better than the title I am trying to find! I will carrying on searching and will bother my local librarian should the libraries open soon. Thanks for having a go, though.

ncfcog
19-05-2020, 09:19 PM
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it isn't the right book. I have read all Greene's novels, Travels with my Aunt is very good, better than the title I am trying to find! I will carrying on searching and will bother my local librarian should the libraries open soon. Thanks for having a go, though.

Sid, I take it all back, find that book for Woody!

Woodypie
19-05-2020, 09:20 PM
I’d be inclined to think Borg is right and the detail has left Woody’s memory a bit seeing as it was 30 years ago. He also mentions in the style of Greene.

“Henry Pulling, a retired bank manager, meets his septuagenarian Aunt Augusta for the first time in over fifty years at what he supposes to be his mother's funeral. Soon after, she persuades Henry to abandon Southwood, his dahlias and the Major next door to travel her way, Brighton, Paris, Istanbul, Paraguay. Through Aunt Augusta, a veteran of Europe's hotel bedrooms, Henry joins a shiftless, twilight society: mixing with hippies, war criminals, CIA men; smoking pot, breaking all the currency regulations and eventually coming alive after a dull suburban life.”

In Travels with my Aunt Graham Greene not only gives us intoxicating entertainment but also confronts us with some of the most perplexing of human dilemmas.

Either way I’m going to read it because it looks a good read! If you do find it’s summat else Sid then great, that’ll be two to read! I would give Greene's Our man in Havana a go first. It is very good.

sidders
20-05-2020, 09:17 AM
Now got one of North Yorkshire's top librarians doing a search. She knows all of Graham Greene and says it's not one of his.

Woodypie
20-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Now got one of North Yorkshire's top librarians doing a search. She knows all of Graham Greene and says it's not one of his. Wow, that's very kind Sid, thank you very much.