PDA

View Full Version : O/T:- Swamp Clearance Begins

TheBlackHorse
29-06-2020, 11:10 AM
... leftie and Remoaner Sidwell out. More will go - knighthoods and pay-offs a small price ... at last ...

countygump
29-06-2020, 11:40 AM
... leftie and Remoaner Sidwell out. More will go - knighthoods and pay-offs a small price ... at last ...

Dat Dom again???

Opposition MPs have pointed the finger at the Prime Minister’s chief aide Dominic Cummings, suggesting he played a role in Sir Mark being forced out as head of the Civil Service.

Mr Cummings is rumoured to have a difficult relationship with Sir Mark, who was appointed Cabinet Secretary in 2018 by Theresa May, with the former PM allowing him to unite the role with his national security adviser job.

TheBlackHorse
29-06-2020, 03:40 PM
... Sidwell was a block. May was wrong. Glad we have DC to put the knife in. Civil Service whingers now gnashing teeth at the thought of losing their little empires. They've had a good run; now get out of the way.

sidders
29-06-2020, 03:52 PM
At least get his freaking name right, hoss. It's Sedwill NOT Sidwell. I bet you were a real boon to the CS during your working life with such a sharp memory for names and details.
Like I said to you before, politicising the Civil Service for whichever party is a retrograde step and takes us so much closer to a Trump-like Stateside model.

EwarWooWar
29-06-2020, 04:16 PM
At least get his freaking name right, hoss. It's Sedwill NOT Sidwell. I bet you were a real boon to the CS during your working life with such a sharp memory for names and details.
Like I said to you before, politicising the Civil Service for whichever party is a retrograde step and takes us so much closer to a Trump-like Stateside model.

What do you mean a Trump-like stateside model? The system the Trump used is the same as all other modern US Presidents. All senior positions over there are political appointments. I agree with you that the Civil Service should be neutral though, I wouldn't like the US system.

magpie_mania
29-06-2020, 04:31 PM
What do you mean a Trump-like stateside model? The system the Trump used is the same as all other modern US Presidents. All senior positions over there are political appointments. I agree with you that the Civil Service should be neutral though, I wouldn't like the US system.

You'd better get used to it. 51st state of the USA?

navypie
29-06-2020, 04:43 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPSO8pdAX6c

EwarWooWar
29-06-2020, 04:55 PM

Not likely. The moves to make DC a state would be completed quicker as would making Peuto Rico a state. Then you have the small issue that if we did become a US state it is likely it would be as a minimum of 5 states.

If it came down to it though, its would be better than being taken over by China.

jackal2
29-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Like I said to you before, politicising the Civil Service for whichever party is a retrograde step

The Civil Service was always politicised, in favour of the Civil Service Party.

Elite_Pie
29-06-2020, 09:49 PM
Draining the swamp is good, but not if you allow it to refill with excrement.

Talking of draining swamps, it seems that the American public are finally waking up as to how bad Trump actually is. A combination of Covid-19 and George Floyd might well be enough to see him booted out of office. I think Trump's number one fan seriouspie said he would be back on this board in July, if he still fancies a little bet on Trump not being re-elected I'll match any stake he cares to name.

sidders
30-06-2020, 07:44 AM
The Civil Service was always politicised, in favour of the Civil Service Party.

Which is infinitely preferable to the Tory party.

BigFatPie
30-06-2020, 08:16 AM
Bloody hell, I thought it was just European unelected bureaucrats that Brexiters didn’t like. Turns out they don’t like UK ones either!

TheBlackHorse
30-06-2020, 09:48 AM
... Jackal2 is spot on and you know nothing, Fat Lad. The CS looks after its own. It is an administration organisation and a master of not making decisions; in any case that's not its role. Governments are naive if they expect, having made a decision, that it will be carried out. The best CS mob is the MOD - masters of nothing except pouring money down drains. That is why we should have people who are commercially aware in key CS jobs. That of course doesn't fit the aims of the CS and CS union who wish to retain control without taking a decision. Labour are more naive than the Cons; as they tend to do as the CS tells them ... which usually results in more jobs for the CS boys. At least DC will have a go at getting the fat, lazy, scared CS moving; no one else will, it appears ...

sidders
30-06-2020, 10:09 AM
An ugly pattern is emerging as PM Cummings and his megaphone deputy BJ plot the Tory-isation of all Civil Servant roles.
First Sedwill then on Sunday evening (when the world was asleep) came this one.

Security experts and opposition MPs on Monday condemned David Frost’s appointment as Boris Johnson’s national security adviser, arguing that his political status and lack of direct experience would undermine his effectiveness.

Lord Ricketts, the first person to be appointed to the role when it was created in 2010, said it was his job to provide “politically neutral advice” to the prime minister, allowing the politicians to “work out what they wanted to do”.

“David Frost has explicitly been appointed as a political appointee. So that is confusing the lines between civil service advice and the political, the party-political angle which ministers normally bring and that worries me,” the peer added.

Lord Wood of Anfield, a former foreign policy adviser to Gordon Brown, said all four previous national security advisers had been civil servants, and he argued their job was to coordinate security efforts across a range of ministries.

“In the area of national security, the considerations of the PM’s political fortunes need to be nowhere near the reasoning of the national security adviser,” Wood said.

“Being a political appointment means you have your eyes on the political consequences of actions, and the political motives of taking them in the first place.”

BigFatPie
30-06-2020, 10:30 AM
... At least DC will have a go at getting the fat, lazy, scared CS moving; no one else will, it appears ...

Well, hate all UK unelected bureaucrats except one...