PDA

View Full Version : O the OLIE kOKI from the U23/SQUAD...

bfcjon
01-07-2020, 05:28 PM
Another one, refusing to sign,.Apparently would rather take his chances in the lower leagues ,..Been on the bench a couple of times,...But Good Luck to him,..Cannot Fault a player for wanting to play!!!
Was he good enough, We will never Know, But 10 goals for the U23/s ,...for a Defender,...Sounds like a Dyche kind of player to me !!

:?

We must have SO much Talent, it"s unreal,...Oh hang on, We had 7/8 fit players against Palace,..:?,
Yea still won, But DO NOT COUNT ON THAT EVERY WEEK,,..Players pulling together , They will only take So much Bullsh1t

antifootball
01-07-2020, 06:17 PM
He played on the wing quite a lot for the underdevelopment squad so I guess he got most of his goals there.

But yeah, you can't blame the lad at all when he can play left wing and we play one of our full backs ahead of him.

I guess being the prem just harms youth development though, each place being worth so much money.

1959_60
01-07-2020, 07:25 PM
"underdevelopment squad"

I like it! ;D

Altobelli
01-07-2020, 09:24 PM
"underdevelopment squad"

I like it! ;D

Well that's one name for it 59/Anti.

sinkov
01-07-2020, 10:13 PM
I still think spending money on youth development is flushing money down the toilet. For it to be of any benefit whatsoever we have to bring through at least one PL player per season, and if we do that over the next ten years I'll show my arse in Burton's window.

Supersub6
01-07-2020, 10:31 PM
I still think spending money on youth development is flushing money down the toilet. For it to be of any benefit whatsoever we have to bring through at least one PL player per season, and if we do that over the next ten years I'll show my arse in Burton's window.

A lot will depend on whether or not we keep SD because this is his big project. He knows that for a club like ours this has to be the way forward, as it was in his time at Watford.
I think that he really wanted to develop things when we won promotion and he was more than happy for money to go into this project.
It takes time to build things up again, however, as someone who has been to watch quite a number of Youth and Development games, I really feel that we are making progress and that the quality of players has got better over the years. Only time will tell!

antifootball
01-07-2020, 11:31 PM
Agreed, but it seems there's no going back now. The club will soon be pushing for cat 1. I hope we're wrong and we can produce some gems!

The Bedlington Terrier
02-07-2020, 12:22 AM
Doing well on loan at Swindon is one thing, securing a berth in an elite EPL squad quite another.

Developing young players is a numbers game and if you don't play it you can't win it.

barrie_burn
02-07-2020, 10:43 AM
I very much believe that is the way forward for us as a Club,I can't see another way other than a takeover,which I am totally against.

As and when we sell McNeil I think that may cover the cost of Barnfield.Kids go to Man U and 99.9% of the time they end up disappointed,they will have a better chance with us.

The Bedlington Terrier
02-07-2020, 11:32 AM
I was surprised the kid did not get anywhere near even a couple of cameo appearances with the first team squad.

I saw him a couple of seasons ago and I thought he looked a better prospect than McNeil, but then again I know the square root of phuck all about football...:blue:

Attilla
02-07-2020, 12:28 PM
Regarding the Academy , the running costs of a Cat1 Academy will be at least 3M a year , so there will be more pressure to produce players than previous , added to the 10.5M spent on the new facilities.
The running costs at Cat3 will have been about 700k per annum and at Cat2 around 1.5M.
So since 2008 when Kyle Lafferty was sold for about 4M and Jay Rodriguez sold for 7M in 2012 , that's 11M from those sales in the last 12 years , where the running costs of the Academy will have been around 10M over that time , so its paid for itself really.
If McNeil was sold for say 30M as a rough guesstimate , that would cover the running costs of a Cat 1 Academy for 10 years.
Not many if any Academies produce a Premierleague player every season.

Regards to Ali Koiki , he is supposed to have been offered a contract but turned it down to hopefully be offered a contract at a club where he can get more regular first team football as at 21 in a couple of month , he needs to play regular games at a competitive level to progress and fair play to the lad , but a fee would be involved at any club he signs for.

sinkov
02-07-2020, 01:36 PM
"If McNeil was sold for say 30M as a rough guesstimate , that would cover the running costs of a Cat 1 Academy for 10 years."

McNeill coming through is good news, nevertheless he is a United reject, even now at 20 years old he's still spent more time with United than he has with us. But if McNeill does go for £30m plus, which he may well do, it just illustrates another problem we'll struggle with, even if we do produce a top class PL quality player, he's not likely to be with us for long, so we're just producing players for other PL clubs to lift off us and benefit from.

We've done quite well with rejects from the top clubs, like Trippier, Keane and Mee from the Manchester clubs, and we've done quite well with cheap acquisitions like Barnes, Ings, Pope, Tarkowski, Vokes, Heaton etc. In fact we've done extraordinarily well without a properly functioning academy system for a long time now, which is surely evidence enough that we don't actually need one

The Bedlington Terrier
02-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Developing young players was the raison d'être of the Barnfield Training Centre sinkov, and it would look totally bonkers to back track now and a certain Mr Pepper thinks he now has another "Four McNeils" on his hands. :D

sinkov
02-07-2020, 01:51 PM
We can't backtrack now BT, we won't backtrack now, I accept that, I hope it works out and is of benefit to us. I can't get past the fact though that we are right now a top 10 PL club, so if our Academy is to be of any utility to us it has to produce players good enough to play top 10 in the PL. But any players we do produce, like McNeill, who are at that level will inevitably end up rather quickly being sold to other to PL clubs. We won't turn any sensible offer down, we all know that, so the best products of our academy, the ones that could actually strengthen the team and keep us top 10, will end up playing against us. So what's the point ?

Attilla
02-07-2020, 02:27 PM
We have alway's sold on our best players at some point , whether they come through Youth Development or they are bought and I dont think that will change anytime soon.
But regards McNeil , he came into Burnley as a 14 year old has been with us 6 years , he was at Man.utd from 9 to 14 , so 6 years also and they released him as they didnt think he would make the grade , Burnley saw the potential , signed him and have improved him.
If we had no Academy we would have had no Dwight McNeil in the first team now.
Academy's are about producing players for the first team or to sell on , if doing neither then its an expensive hobby.

As suggested , the Academy could be scrapped as Huddersfield and Brentford have done and focus on picking up players from top academies like we did with Mee , Keane and Trippier , but unless the Academy is running at a loss , I dont see an issue with doing both as we are currently.

The Bedlington Terrier
02-07-2020, 02:39 PM
We can't backtrack now BT, we won't backtrack now, I accept that, I hope it works out and is of benefit to us. I can't get past the fact though that we are right now a top 10 PL club, so if our Academy is to be of any utility to us it has to produce players good enough to play top 10 in the PL. But any players we do produce, like McNeill, who are at that level will inevitably end up rather quickly being sold to other to PL clubs. We won't turn any sensible offer down, we all know that, so the best products of our academy, the ones that could actually strengthen the team and keep us top 10, will end up playing against us. So what's the point ?

A case in point sinkov is if we sold Dwight for £40 million and brought Trippier back for £20 million, the team would not suffer too much and we would have £20 million to smack into the Dry Powder Store.

I think it's Manchester United who should be looking in the mirror sinkov, not us! :O

barrie_burn
02-07-2020, 02:40 PM

The point is to keep us and improve us as a well run,financially sound Premier League Club paying good salaries and be attractive to join whether it be on or off the field.

bfcjon
02-07-2020, 06:18 PM
The point is to keep us and improve us as a well run,financially sound Premier League Club paying good salaries and be attractive to join whether it be on or off the field.

Barrie, We are treading water!! We have been for a while,as a Cllub.
To Move on , from going under the water , To staying afloat ,We need our Chairman to take a calculated gamble now and then,..Or we listen to a Takeover,....Unfortunately Mr Garlic is not prepared to do that,..So my only hope is a Takeover/ Investment ,...
I Cannot see otherwise, how we will improve,...The only way is Down at the moment if we stick as we are.

sinkov
02-07-2020, 07:32 PM
A case in point sinkov is if we sold Dwight for £40 million and brought Trippier back for £20 million, the team would not suffer too much and we would have £20 million to smack into the Dry Powder Store.

That's fine BT, until the day Dwight rocks up for the opposition, runs Kieran ragged, and they walk off with the three points. If we're intending to use the best of our Academy to improve our team then I have no problem with it, if we're going to sell them on and improve our PL opposition, then we're shooting ourselves in the foot, and I can't see the point. It depends on our policy, keep them or sell them, what is our policy ? I don't know, but I reckon I could have a fecking good guess.

antifootball
02-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Having a good youth setup isn't all about category status though. Crewe have famously had a good academy and its done precious little for their success in the past few years. They have produced some very good players including our own Westwood but if they can't at least get up into the Championship, let alone premier league it tells you a lot about how much more is down to running it than only the category status.

If junior scouting can improve and we can sign players ahead of all the bigger teams around us I can see it making sense. But If we are to rely on rejects from other clubs that won't last forever.

Junior recruitment for Burnley must be the easiest job in the world. You have a task to pick out talent to make it in the first team and don't have to produce any for 20 years and still keep your job.

What I don't like is all the money in the game nowadays, if it wasn't for the big cash then we would see more and more talent get into every team. Its too much of a risk, and I think there are probably some players who step up their game who may miss out...but it is what it is.

And even if I don't agree with the direction the club is taking its inevitable now and the changes are already in place. I guess we will start to see in 10 years time if it paid off or not.

The Bedlington Terrier
03-07-2020, 06:46 AM
Barrie, We are treading water!! We have been for a while,as a Cllub.
To Move on , from going under the water , To staying afloat ,We need our Chairman to take a calculated gamble now and then,..Or we listen to a Takeover,....Unfortunately Mr Garlic is not prepared to do that,..So my only hope is a Takeover/ Investment ,...
I Cannot see otherwise, how we will improve,...The only way is Down at the moment if we stick as we are.

Five consecutive seasons in the EPL sort of contradicts your point bfcjon. Gibson, Wells and Hart were all "calculated gambles" and they did not work out to well mate.

barrie_burn
03-07-2020, 12:05 PM
Five consecutive seasons in the EPL -Is that treading water? Be realistic we cannot ever match ManU,Man City,Liverpool etc,we simply do not have the fan base.So we find our "niche" and keep building on it - I see no other sensible way forward.At some time in the future something will happen which will bring down the financial madness of the EPL and when it does we want our Club to be one of the survivors.

The Bedlington Terrier
03-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Five consecutive seasons in the EPL -Is that treading water? Be realistic we cannot ever match ManU,Man City,Liverpool etc,we simply do not have the fan base.So we find our "niche" and keep building on it - I see no other sensible way forward.At some time in the future something will happen which will bring down the financial madness of the EPL and when it does we want our Club to be one of the survivors.

We have a financial crisis running amok across all sorts of businesses.

After due and careful consideration I think Garlick is right, batten down the hatches and ride out the storm.

Norder
03-07-2020, 07:58 PM

would've been nice to see what Koiki could do - whats been done for him over the last 4 years or so - will just have to see how he does at his next destination - and good luck to him.

.... We are treading water!!

https://i.postimg.cc/Jhct4Rhq/Drinkwater-SD-Ndr.jpg

XD

antifootball
06-07-2020, 06:09 PM
So we've done it whether you like it or not, cat 1 academy.

The Bedlington Terrier
06-07-2020, 08:17 PM
So we've done it whether you like it or not, cat 1 academy.

Great stuff!

Supersub6
06-07-2020, 09:36 PM
In all honesty, the whole complex at Gawthorpe was in great need of refurbishment and this is something which I think that Sean Dyche set as a priority not long after he took over in 2012.
It was 4 years in the planning and raising the necessary funds which became available when we won promotion in 2014/5. The work started in 2016 when we were back in the Championship, however, when the players returned to training for the 2017/18 season the complex was complete and it really is an amazing complex which is worthy of a PL Club.

Obviously,a lot of work has continued to develop the Academy status to what has been achieved today and it is to the club's credit that they have continued the plan with the strategy of attracting and developing better players. In addition, much credit has to be given to Sean Dyche for ensuring that we have kept our place in the PL and improved the whole infrastructure of the Club. All of this will certainly help in attracting a new manager when, or if, Sean decides to move on. If you ever get a chance to go into the complex then please do so, as Claret Matelot will tell you, it really is worth seeing.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-07-2020, 02:01 AM
I've heard of "Youth Development", but the chap next to Duffer is taking it to the extreme! ;)

sinkov
07-07-2020, 08:05 AM
It's all well and good, but I'm still a bit 'meh' about it, it enhances the image of the club, the facilities were in serious need of upgrading and now we have state of the art training facilities and academy status. I just can't get too excited about it, I keep reading that we should now get players coming through that will improve the team, and we should be able to sell some on and make money, but in the last ten years we've reached 7th in the PL and qualified for Europe without the aid of any youth development players and we are one of the very few clubs in world football without any debt and running at a profit, and all without any money from selling products of our youth system. As long as it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg to run it, it can't do any harm, but given our record over the last ten years without any contribution from youth development, it all seems a bit superfluous to me.

1959_60
07-07-2020, 08:48 AM
It's all well and good, but I'm still a bit 'meh' about it, it enhances the image of the club, the facilities were in serious need of upgrading and now we have state of the art training facilities and academy status. I just can't get too excited about it, I keep reading that we should now get players coming through that will improve the team, and we should be able to sell some on and make money, but in the last ten years we've reached 7th in the PL and qualified for Europe without the aid of any youth development players and we are one of the very few clubs in world football without any debt and running at a profit, and all without any money from selling products of our youth system. As long as it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg to run it, it can't do any harm, but given our record over the last ten years without any contribution from youth development, it all seems a bit superfluous to me.

I'm sure that there were people saying the same about Gawthorpe in the 50's Mon Ami.

Good job our Bob didn't listen to them!

sinkov
07-07-2020, 09:11 AM
I'm sure that there were people saying the same about Gawthorpe in the 50's Mon Ami.

Good job our Bob didn't listen to them!

Bloody hell 59, you're powers of telepathy know no bounds, how on earth do you know what people were saying in the 50s ? If people knew about Bob's plans, which they probably didn't, Bob wasn't very fond of journalists, they may well have said, what a bloody good idea, go for it Bob.

Why do you keep making things up ?>;)