PDA

View Full Version : O/T uncle bens rice.

Back of the net
23-09-2020, 06:43 PM
Having to change its name because of racial stereotypes. 🤦🏻*♂️🤦🏻*♂️

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/uncle-bens-new-name-announced-in-move-to-avoid-racial-stereotypes-12079262

John2
23-09-2020, 06:47 PM
Having to change its name because of racial stereotypes. ����*♂️����*♂️

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/uncle-bens-new-name-announced-in-move-to-avoid-racial-stereotypes-12079262

I can tell this change is going to have a huge impact on your life.

Back of the net
23-09-2020, 06:52 PM
Dam it I had you second to respond.
Oh well.

Silly-miller
23-09-2020, 06:56 PM
Ffs it has nothing to do with slavery

According to Mars, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben's as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.

ragingpup
23-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Wey heyy! Round we go again!

Pattylallacks2
23-09-2020, 07:12 PM
That's a coincidence My uncle Tomcabin has had to change his name as well.

Brin
23-09-2020, 07:13 PM
Here's one for you. The other night I watched a bit of the film 'Coming To America' starring Eddie Murphy. In the film, Murphy wears a latex mask and plays a white Jewish man in a barber's shop. Is anyone calling for this now to be banned? And to think they banned the Black and White minstrel show.

https://youtu.be/N3jx4WIUYy4

Pattylallacks2
23-09-2020, 07:56 PM
Here's one for you. The other night I watched a bit of the film 'Coming To America' starring Eddie Murphy. In the film, Murphy wears a latex mask and plays a white Jewish man in a barber's shop. Is anyone calling for this now to be banned? And to think they banned the Black and White minstrel show.

I'm calling for it to be banned!

John2
23-09-2020, 08:05 PM

Brin, the reason blackface is offensive to many is because it has been historically been used by white performers to mock black people, usually to present them as evil or stupid.

The same is not true in reverse, it doesn't for most cause the same offence.

Were you genuinely offended by seeing a black person in whiteface? If so, why? Are you a snowflake?

gm_gm
23-09-2020, 08:15 PM
People in Bristol and London will be happy

John2
23-09-2020, 08:20 PM
I don't care what its called, just makes me laugh how much such things wind people up!

Stovicmiller
23-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Brin, the reason blackface is offensive to many is because it has been historically been used by white performers to mock black people, usually to present them as evil or stupid.

The same is not true in reverse, it doesn't for most cause the same offence.

Were you genuinely offended by seeing a black person in whiteface? If so, why? Are you a snowflake? what's good for the goose.

Shark27
23-09-2020, 09:21 PM
Ffs it has nothing to do with slavery

According to Mars, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben's as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.

If this is correct then it's actually counter productive to the BLM argument.

This would actually ensure a successful black person is shoved out of the history books.

Rather than change the name, what they could do is do some research on the grower and put a bit of history on the packaging.

But like John, I don't give a sh1t. If they want to forget about him so be it.

rolymiller
23-09-2020, 09:26 PM
Chuffin ell brin. You've not got this putting an end to circular threads lark have ya!

John2
23-09-2020, 09:31 PM
If this is correct then it's actually counter productive to the BLM argument.

This would actually ensure a successful black person is shoved out of the history books.

It's not correct, it's total b*llocks.

It's rumoured to have been a maître d'hôtel called Frank Brown, but hardly famous or particularly connected to rice. The line about being a rice grower was created by Mars for marketing purposes to give the fictional character of Uncle Ben a back story.

Still, people believe anything they read online, people can't differentiate fact from fiction or do even basic fact checking for themselves.

Shark27
23-09-2020, 09:44 PM

It's rumoured to have been a maître d'hôtel called Frank Brown, but hardly famous or particularly connected to rice. The line about being a rice grower was created by Mars for marketing purposes to give the fictional character of Uncle Ben a back story.

Still, people believe anything they read online, people can't differentiate fact from fiction or do even basic fact checking for themselves.

If this is correct I hope I never see that face on my packet of rice ever again!!!!! 😡😡😡

CAMiller
23-09-2020, 09:49 PM
I didn't see this level of outcry 20 years ago when Mars decided to change the name of one of it's best selling chocolate bars because of the racial undertones of it being called Ma Rathon.

Shark27
23-09-2020, 10:08 PM
I didn't see this level of outcry 20 years ago when Mars decided to change the name of one of it's best selling chocolate bars because of the racial undertones of it being called Ma Rathon.

I can't believe Cadburys Minstrels have survived!!!

John2
23-09-2020, 10:16 PM
If this is correct I hope I never see that face on my packet of rice ever again!!!!! ������

You're going to be gutted when you discover the Honey Monster was also invented by a team of marketers. Sorry.

Shark27
23-09-2020, 10:21 PM
You're going to be gutted when you discover the Honey Monster was also invented by a team of marketers. Sorry.

I would have thought that you were on your way to Cadbury world by now with your banner!!

John2
23-09-2020, 10:30 PM
I would have thought that you were on your way to Cadbury world by now with your banner!!

I think you mean Mars.

CAMiller
23-09-2020, 10:44 PM
I can't believe Cadburys Minstrels have survived!!!

I guess Black Jacks might also be in peril if they still exist.

Shark27
24-09-2020, 06:15 AM
I think you mean Mars.

You missed my previous post.

Grumpy King of the West
24-09-2020, 06:20 AM

Sorry John, but I had to have a wry smile with your words, "people believe anything they read online" when you've clearly done precisely what we all have. Namely type "Uncle Ben's Wikipedia" into your search engine. You then cut and paste some of the content onto this thread.

It would appear that people believe anything they read online also extends to you.

millertop
24-09-2020, 07:09 AM
Did anyone actually read the link? Thought not

WanChaiMiller
24-09-2020, 07:17 AM
Good grief, the whingers are out in force again.

John2
24-09-2020, 07:47 AM
Sorry John, but I had to have a wry smile with your words, "people believe anything they read online" when you've clearly done precisely what we all have. Namely type "Uncle Ben's Wikipedia" into your search engine. You then cut and paste some of the content onto this thread.

It would appear that people believe anything they read online also extends to you.

To clarify, are you suggesting what I said is incorrect?

John2
24-09-2020, 07:48 AM
You missed my previous post.

Minstrels are made by Galaxy/Mars, not Cadbury.

Gainsbro_Miller
24-09-2020, 08:38 AM
Apparently there’s a rather large green fellow doing his nut about the way he has been portrayed on a tin of sweet corn.
What next for him?

Lolmorgan
24-09-2020, 08:46 AM
I see all the usual moths have been attracted to the O/T political posts ;D

Lolmorgan
24-09-2020, 08:47 AM
Apparently there’s a rather large green fellow doing his nut about the way he has been portrayed on a tin of sweet corn.
What next for him?

The HULKS going to punch him.;D

great_fire
24-09-2020, 08:58 AM
Aunt Jemima is going as well.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/aunt-jemima-brand-will-change-name-remove-image-quaker-says-n1231260

I'm sure racists will be devastated that pictures of black people are being removed from food packaging.

clarkey1974
24-09-2020, 09:34 AM
I see all the usual moths have been attracted to the O/T political posts ;D

I Would be surprised if this thread didn’t go against the grain..😁.

gm_gm
24-09-2020, 09:51 AM
The national trust are also looking at properties that may have a link to slavery ...which is probably most of them

Lets knock them down and start burning books

Silly-miller
24-09-2020, 11:35 AM

The photo is of frank brown a chef who developed a lot of the sauces

Uncle Ben was the name of the rice grower it is a mix of 2 successful black men in the brand however the founders of the franchise were two white men who are not on the brand

Silly-miller
24-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Also uncle Ben wasn’t created by mars, the company who created uncle bens was the Converted Brand Rice company who was co-owned by Erich Huzenlaub and Gordon Harwell and was later bought out by the Mars franchise

John2
24-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Uncle Ben was the name of the rice grower it is a mix of 2 successful black men in the brand however the founders of the franchise were two white men who are not on the brand

LOL, you'll believe anything you read too! There may well be a back story courtesy of Uncle Ben's but its made up. There really were black rice growers, but that's about as far is it goes, the back story is a marketing creation to sell products.

millertop
24-09-2020, 12:48 PM
LOL, you'll believe anything you read too! There may well be a back story courtesy of Uncle Ben's but its made up. There really were black rice growers, but that's about as far is it goes, the back story is a marketing creation to sell products.

Can you prove that though?
I don’t know what’s true tbh, like any other story from way back which will also have fictional/truths in them.
How can we tell unless we physically go back?

Silly-miller
24-09-2020, 01:12 PM

This coming from the guy who says uncle bens was made up by mars, even a child knows it was bought out by mars

Sounds to me you ether believe any protesters crap you read or hate black people being famous

John2
24-09-2020, 01:17 PM
I don’t know what’s true tbh, like any other story from way back which will also have fictional/truths in them.

I almost posted this link last night but I thought it would be funny to hold it back and see if people would still try and argue. So predictable! The question is whether with this from Uncle Ben's own website people still won't admit they are wrong.

https://www.unclebens.com/disclaimer

Disclaimer
Uncle Ben is a fictional character. Any resemblance or similarity to a real person is entirely coincidental. All stories present on UncleBens.com are fictional as well.

Silly-miller
24-09-2020, 01:21 PM

A fair point and absolutely true the only ones who can say for certain that uncle Ben was named after a famous rice grower are Erich Huzenlaub and Gordon Harwell who I suspect are long dead as for the photo I suspect there will be a law suit from his family for the removal of that photo as it removes the recognition Frank brown made and I should think so.

What’s next erasing Michael Jackson? Nelson Mandela? Barack Obama? Samuel L Jackson? Would people still be fine if they wanted to remove Arthur Wharton from history books?

millertop
24-09-2020, 01:23 PM
I almost posted this link last night but I thought it would be funny to hold it back and see if people would still try and argue. So predictable! The question is whether with this from Uncle Ben's own website people still won't admit they are wrong.

I wasn’t arguing about it

Silly-miller
24-09-2020, 01:31 PM

I dare say they made up some of the background but being as mars didn’t make the company they have no credibility on whether he was real or not.

I get the argument that uncle was a term given to slaves and arguably you can see how uncle Ben May have been a slave on a rice patty farm however being as they don’t know if he was real or not they changed there name to bens original which is fair enough but what grinds at me is the removal of the photo of frank brown, who’s next cornel sanders

Grumpy King of the West
24-09-2020, 02:21 PM
To clarify, are you suggesting what I said is incorrect?

To clarify I'm saying that your comment about people believing anything they read online also extends to you. This is evidenced by the fact that you copied & pasted from the Uncle Ben's wikipedia site. You, me, uncle tom cobley or captain birdseye have no idea whether that Uncle Ben Wikipedia page is true. Wikipedia is open source. One would think it is correct simply because youd have to be pretty sad to maliciously change a Wikipedia site about a boil in the bag rice product!!

So, perhaps, instead of patronising and condescending with comments about "people" believing anything they read online, wind your neck in, have a good think and try to work out why the silent majority are getting right royally peed off with being told what and how to think. Were in danger of seeing things that arent actually there!!

Pattylallacks2
24-09-2020, 02:53 PM

Not seen Ma Donnakebabs advertised lately

John2
24-09-2020, 08:44 PM
To clarify I'm saying that your comment about people believing anything they read online also extends to you. This is evidenced by the fact that you copied & pasted from the Uncle Ben's wikipedia site. You, me, uncle tom cobley or captain birdseye have no idea whether that Uncle Ben Wikipedia page is true. Wikipedia is open source. One would think it is correct simply because youd have to be pretty sad to maliciously change a Wikipedia site about a boil in the bag rice product!!

So, perhaps, instead of patronising and condescending with comments about "people" believing anything they read online, wind your neck in, have a good think and try to work out why the silent majority are getting right royally peed off with being told what and how to think. Were in danger of seeing things that arent actually there!!

lol, to clarify, I know what you were saying.

What you hadn't foreseen is that I was a few steps ahead, I had already checked thoroughly. I chose to hold back the Uncle Ben website disclaimer (which confirms Uncle Ben is fictitious incase you missed it) just as an experiment to see if anyone tried to accuse me of copying and pasting off Wikipedia. I even took the trouble to copy and paste but change a word so it looked like it was the only place I checked to the unsuspecting but with the alteration as proof I'd been scheming ahead of time. I subtly replaced 'named' with 'called' so you wouldn't notice. Go ahead and check.

I thought I'd get challenged, but I couldn't have imagined I'd have 3 of you take the bait! It's so funny you even literally called me out on copying and pasting from Wikipedia! To be fair, who would have suspected I'd be so tedious as to set up something like that.

I've not seen anybody be told how to think, what a weird thing to worry about. Some people could do with basic lessons on fact checking though, particularly if they don't want to put themselves in situations where they feel they are being patronised and getting peed off.

If you think I'm gullible for things I read online, I'll gladly be called out upon it and wind in said neck. Better luck next time.

Edit: Also, you seem to think Wikipedia isn't a credible source of information, but it certainly can be. Reading it blindly is a bad idea, but everything contains references that make most claims easy to verify.

howdydoo
24-09-2020, 08:49 PM
‘What you hadn't foreseen is that I was a few steps ahead’

It’s either the Doc or Marty McFly himself.

Hero 👍

great_fire
24-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Frankie and Benny never existed either, even though they have pictures and busts of them in the restaurants.

Shark27
24-09-2020, 10:23 PM

You're bringing too many people into this post.

Shark27
24-09-2020, 10:27 PM
Minstrels are made by Galaxy/Mars, not Cadbury.

No doubt you're on it!!

Shark27
24-09-2020, 10:30 PM

What you hadn't foreseen is that I was a few steps ahead, I had already checked thoroughly. I chose to hold back the Uncle Ben website disclaimer (which confirms Uncle Ben is fictitious incase you missed it) just as an experiment to see if anyone tried to accuse me of copying and pasting off Wikipedia. I even took the trouble to copy and paste but change a word so it looked like it was the only place I checked to the unsuspecting but with the alteration as proof I'd been scheming ahead of time. I subtly replaced 'named' with 'called' so you wouldn't notice. Go ahead and check.

I thought I'd get challenged, but I couldn't have imagined I'd have 3 of you take the bait! It's so funny you even literally called me out on copying and pasting from Wikipedia! To be fair, who would have suspected I'd be so tedious as to set up something like that.

I've not seen anybody be told how to think, what a weird thing to worry about. Some people could do with basic lessons on fact checking though, particularly if they don't want to put themselves in situations where they feel they are being patronised and getting peed off.

If you think I'm gullible for things I read online, I'll gladly be called out upon it and wind in said neck. Better luck next time.

Edit: Also, you seem to think Wikipedia isn't a credible source of information, but it certainly can be. Reading it blindly is a bad idea, but everything contains references that make most claims easy to verify.

😂😂😂😂 reminds me of columbo

Grumpy King of the West
25-09-2020, 04:58 AM

You need help buddy. Seriously, you need help.

Sertraline could be a good starting point.

WanChaiMiller
25-09-2020, 05:26 AM
Please tell me Ronald McDonald is real.

ragingpup
25-09-2020, 06:28 AM
Please tell me Ronald McDonald is real.

He is but he's a fascist.

I've already written to my MP...

Brin
25-09-2020, 08:09 AM
He is but he's a fascist.

I've already written to my MP...

Is Ronald a black man playing a white man? You can’t tell under all that white make up.

WanChaiMiller
25-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Is Ronald a black man playing a white man? You can’t tell under all that white make up.

Here we go again.

rolymiller
25-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Lets just sum up the coming posts on here in a few words so it dunt need to go round in circles again.

Black people are awful and are to to be blamed for all the world's ills..
V
No they are not and quite the reverse.

Done. and dusted..

Next thread...?

Erm...try some footy stuff maybe?

Grumpy King of the West
25-09-2020, 02:45 PM
Lets just sum up the coming posts on here in a few words so it dunt need to go round in circles again.

Black people are awful and are to to be blamed for all the world's ills..
V
No they are not and quite the reverse.

Done. and dusted..

Next thread...?

Erm...try some footy stuff maybe?

Trouble is Roly, the in vogue narrative is one where you would swap the word white for black in your synopsis. Maybe with an additional caveat of, "and should be truly sorry for all their wrongdoing...."

Heliosphan
28-09-2020, 03:37 PM

I cringed so hard after reading this. Embarrassed for you.

millersrus
29-09-2020, 07:34 AM
Reading that john story was like an ending from Scooby doo, “and I’d have gotten away with it it wasn’t for you pesky madsters”