PDA

View Full Version : Barnsley v Nottingham Forest Match Thoughts

animallittle3
20-11-2020, 05:22 PM
Well the lads have had a bit of a break and now embark on a run of 9 games before the boxing day clash with the dog botherers .

A brutal schedule although the five subs may make the going slightly easier .

I'm looking for 12 more points before Boxing Day which will give us 25 going in to the festive campaign , not beyond us I feel and targets do need setting in my opinion .

Anything above that will be welcome and a bonus .

Difficult one to predict tomorrow , Forest have new manager Chris Houghton in charge these days who knows the league well and I expect a tougher game than the last two we've had against them recently .

A point tomorrow wouldn't be a bad result in my opinion although with Brentford in town on Tuesday night a cheeky 3 points would be just tickety boo .

Barnsley Chop
20-11-2020, 06:12 PM
Is it me but with this current international break seems ages since we last played certainly more than 2 weeks !?

pass_and_move
20-11-2020, 07:23 PM
Is it me but with this current international break seems ages since we last played certainly more than 2 weeks !?

I agree, it seems mooar than a fotnit Chops.

pass_and_move
20-11-2020, 07:27 PM
This run up to Christmas is brutal but same fo everyone. Tough game tomorrow, mind you they're all tough. A point wunt be a disaster against a well drilled Chris Hughton teeum.

Nozzer1953
20-11-2020, 07:31 PM
A difficult period coming up, 12 games in 43 days. So full use of the squad I suspect.
Forest under Chris Hughton appear to be revived. Taylor has found his shooting boots and Knockheart pulling the strings in midfield, so I think it will be s very different game to the previous two.
I agree with Animal that 12 points from this period would be good, anything above that is a bonus

perkytyke
20-11-2020, 08:27 PM
Forest have won away from home once in their last 12 Championship games! The last two meetings between us at Oakwell has seen us win both 1-0.
We are rested and have 5 subs which plays to our strengths as a high pressing side so it’s nailed on for me we will lose......
This is one of those games that could be a win, lose or draw and it would be no surprise.

animallittle3
20-11-2020, 09:30 PM
Going to be interesting with the five subs and how Val goes about this .

I guess it depends on the state of the game around the hour mark .

Some of the fringe lads are going to be getting important roles from the bench , Thomas , Simoes , Williams , Kane , Victor and Palmer either to get us an equaliser , the win or see the game out .

We saw this last season how 5 subs totally changes the dynamics of the game .

Their roles from off the bench could get them starts in a couple of weeks as this schedule starts to bite .

This is now a 16 man game , no doubt about it .

animallittle3
20-11-2020, 09:46 PM
A difficult period coming up, 12 games in 43 days. So full use of the squad I suspect.
Forest under Chris Hughton appear to be revived. Taylor has found his shooting boots and Knockheart pulling the strings in midfield, so I think it will be s very different game to the previous two.
I agree with Animal that 12 points from this period would be good, anything above that is a bonus

I'd also like to see Nozzer a positive goal difference before boxing day .

I know possibly in the grand scheme of things it isn't the be all and end all but none the less it shows progress .

Young_Nudger
21-11-2020, 12:01 AM
As Barnsley are now - anything could happen.
If we take a small percentage of the chances created (and as per usual we will create a shed load) then we could easily win this 3-0.
If however those easy chances go begging then heads will drop - and theirs will lift - resulting with us losing 0-3.
Stingray ........ stand by for action, anything can happen in the next half hour !!!

Barnsley Chop
21-11-2020, 12:49 PM
6 Pointer v Forest and 6 points of play offs 6 from relegation zone - take your pick !

Barnsley Chop
21-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Win today W4 D4 L4 and no negative goal difference - SIMPLES !:?

DOOALI
21-11-2020, 12:53 PM
This lg is tough all season now it's up to the heirarchy to back Ismail in January with a decent wad to strengthen the squad

POGGYWELL
21-11-2020, 02:14 PM

Nozzer1953
21-11-2020, 04:00 PM
This is a tough game. A very different Forest team to the one we have beaten twice in the last 5 months.
It has been an entertaining first half, and I am not quite sure how it is still nil nil. Could easily be 2 2

animallittle3
21-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Decent game this and pretty even , can't see it finishing 0-0 mind .

Doggydo
21-11-2020, 04:05 PM
Jack Walton has really taken his chance this season, he’s developing into a very good keeper.

perkytyke
21-11-2020, 04:22 PM
Walton MOM AGAIN! Says a lot?
Mowatt having another one of those games where he may as well not be on the pitch, his passing is lazy and giving the ball away all the time.
Frieser couldn’t head or cross a ball to save his life!

perkytyke
21-11-2020, 04:36 PM
Well at least Frieser is off, needs Chaplin off now for Adeboyejo.

perkytyke
21-11-2020, 04:44 PM
HALLELUJAH.....I like Val now, off comes Chaplin and Mowatt.......

perkytyke
21-11-2020, 04:49 PM
Adeboyejo holds up the ball with pure strength and sets up Styles for a certain goal of the month

Jules88
21-11-2020, 05:01 PM
Tough game. Very even. Another worldy. Win and play average. Think we will be ok this season. MOM for me Brittain again

perkytyke
21-11-2020, 05:03 PM
The lads played really well there! We couldn’t get in front due to poor final balls and crosses! Val saw this eventually and took off Freiser and this put us on the front foot.
The next too changes for me were extremely brave, for once a manager has seen that Mowatt was making poor passes and not making tackles that needed to be made and took him off, he also saw Chaplin giving the ball away cheaply and being brushed aside like a small child.
Adeboyejo for the 11 minutes he was on was outstanding made the first goal with brute strength and brushed aside Forests players like they had been doing to Chaplin!
Hopefully Woodrows goal will set him off on a run? But thoroughly deserved today.

Jules88
21-11-2020, 05:04 PM
Definitely a “New Manager bounce “ we should all take happily.

Barnsley Chop
21-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Happy days!

Barnsley Chop
21-11-2020, 05:06 PM

There you go !!!

HAPPY DAYS !

Barnsley Chop
21-11-2020, 05:10 PM

There you go Simples !! and positive goal difference

HAPPY DAYS!

animallittle3
21-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Tough game that and at 0-0 it was anybody's game to be fair and were indebted to Jack Walton with some cracking saves .

Callum Styles goal was a thing of beauty , reminded me of one of Darren Barnard's crackers over twenty years ago .

Nice play from Britain to set up Cauley for a nice finish and put the game to bed .

Lot's to be positive about tonight because the lads had to dig in at times and ride out Forest's threat especially in that second half , definitely a game we wouldn't have won last season because we would have crumbled in the second half .

Up to mid table tonight , I'll drink to that .

Nozzer1953
21-11-2020, 05:17 PM
Entertaining game, end to end. We had to dig in at times, but stuck at it and got our rewards.
Ismael used his subs well
Well done to the lads

pass_and_move
21-11-2020, 05:22 PM
Great win that. Stylesies goal wo outstanding, great strike and worthy of winning any game. Chuffed to bits fo Woodrow too, he were desperately unlucky wi them shots against the crossbar. Happy days, few Newcy brarns to celebrate

POGGYWELL
21-11-2020, 05:34 PM
Very enjoyable game to watch and a special mention to Jack Walton for keeping us in the game. I have a very good feeling about this five substitution rule.

animallittle3
21-11-2020, 05:46 PM
Very enjoyable game to watch and a special mention to Jack Walton for keeping us in the game. I have a very good feeling about this five substitution rule.

Val used them very well in my opinion Poggy , Mowatt wasn't having the best of games today and it was smart to bring him off .

No mug isn't Val , seriously impressed with him so far .

Given the players more belief in my opinion and they have responded .

Barnsley Chop
21-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Yep Animal confidence and belief = points on the board over a period of time

animallittle3
21-11-2020, 06:45 PM
Yep Animal confidence and belief = points on the board over a period of time

Once you start to rid yourselves of the inferiority complex at this level which for many reasons we've had then the league starts to become easier to navigate .

Luton have got over there's and are doing well and I feel we are heading towards that ourselves .

This was Struber's biggest mistake despite the job he did here , going in to the new season he still didn't really believe in the squad nor did he trust them to play more expansively .

He wanted to bring in XY and Z to kick on and he threw his toys out of the pram when it didn't happen .

Val's cut from the same cloth as Stendel in my opinion and doesn't do negativity or caution , it didn't work out for Stendel in the championship because he lost 4 key players and the replacements took time to get up to speed , if some of them ever did at all .

Val's in a more favourable position than Stendel ever was and he is reaping the rewards at the moment .

POGGYWELL
21-11-2020, 07:38 PM
Barnsley head coach Valerien Ismael told BBC Radio Sheffield:

"It was a 50-50 game - both sides could have gone in front - but when you stay focused and you win such an important game, the feeling for the guys is that it's a step in the right way.

"We want to start strong and finish strong, we want to play like this all the time for 90-plus minutes.

"I hope in the future that the guys know we can score goals in any minute from any situation."

Forest manager Chris Hughton said:

"We created the better chances through normal play. If you don't put your chances away then a good enough side like Barnsley can possibly capitalise on that.

"We haven't played a bad team so far this season. Barnsley kept going and looked for their opportunities.

"Unfortunately, it didn't happen for us today and it did for them. We've got to be scoring goals and if we're not taking the opportunities then we continue to put that pressure on ourselves."

animallittle3
21-11-2020, 07:57 PM
Barnsley head coach Valerien Ismael told BBC Radio Sheffield:

"It was a 50-50 game - both sides could have gone in front - but when you stay focused and you win such an important game, the feeling for the guys is that it's a step in the right way.

"We want to start strong and finish strong, we want to play like this all the time for 90-plus minutes.

"I hope in the future that the guys know we can score goals in any minute from any situation."

Forest manager Chris Hughton said:

"We created the better chances through normal play. If you don't put your chances away then a good enough side like Barnsley can possibly capitalise on that.

"We haven't played a bad team so far this season. Barnsley kept going and looked for their opportunities.

"Unfortunately, it didn't happen for us today and it did for them. We've got to be scoring goals and if we're not taking the opportunities then we continue to put that pressure on ourselves."

We've said for the last two seasons that at this level the margins are tight .

Clearly Val has seen that already and Hughton knows that more than anybody .

POGGYWELL
21-11-2020, 08:29 PM
Mezzala Football

Callum Styles v Nottingham Forest

65 Touches
1 Key pass
100% Aerial duels won
5 Successful tackles
100% Tackle success
4 Clearances
1 Goal

Turning into some player this lad keep it going Callum.

animallittle3
21-11-2020, 09:02 PM
Mezzala Football

Callum Styles v Nottingham Forest

65 Touches
1 Key pass
100% Aerial duels won
5 Successful tackles
100% Tackle success
4 Clearances
1 Goal

Turning into some player this lad keep it going Callum.

Love this kid Poggy and he's my favourite player which probably isn't very smart given he won't be here for too much longer .

Everything I want to see in one of our players , the kids class .

pass_and_move
21-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Considering he's laiking art o position it's very impressive. Can we hold onto him in January?

rodcurrie
22-11-2020, 08:32 AM
Well done yesdi Barnsley,i like it when you beat dem Scabby Barstewards.Quality strike for the first goal,hopefully you'll be mid table this season and not have too much stress abart if you'll stay up or not.UTMPB

animallittle3
22-11-2020, 09:55 AM
Well done yesdi Barnsley,i like it when you beat dem Scabby Barstewards.Quality strike for the first goal,hopefully you'll be mid table this season and not have too much stress abart if you'll stay up or not.UTMPB

Thanks for that Rod , we are making steady progress which will keeps us well away from that bottom 3 .

Your lads could do with a win today mate and it's a winnable game in my opinion although the Hammers are no mugs by any means but you have to start winning games relatively soon .

Acido
22-11-2020, 11:48 AM
I think we all knew Notts Forest would be tougher this time under Chris Hughton. A lot more compared to those two previous easy 1-0 home wins against them.
And Im sure Brentford will be the same as well midweek.

But I think we're onto something here, some exciting football at times and loads of chances created, and end to end stuff.
Maybe some of the more established Champship clubs will have to start taking us a bit more seriously now. We won't be able to keep sneaking under the radar all the time will we.

POGGYWELL
23-11-2020, 12:30 AM

Good choice !