https://bit.ly/3fsAkIS

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-11-2020, 10:40 AM
https://bit.ly/3fsAkIS

I suspect some string pulling from elsewhere

Masbroughstreet
23-11-2020, 10:49 AM
I suspect some string pulling from elsewhere

Always has to be something sinister in the background with Rotherham United doesn't it?

Makes perfect sense to me, pick a number one Keeper and stick to it, it'll give him confidence, most managers do it. I personally wouldn't have picked him as the number one but Paul Warne has and he has to back him.

millertop
23-11-2020, 11:15 AM
Always has to be something sinister in the background with Rotherham United doesn't it?

Makes perfect sense to me, pick a number one Keeper and stick to it, it'll give him confidence, most managers do it. I personally wouldn't have picked him as the number one but Paul Warne has and he has to back him.

At the expense of the club losing games?

I don’t (no one does) know what the outcome would have been if Johansson was in net but you’ve got to go with the better keeper
If Warney thinks Blackman is the one then that’s fine but he’s got to take criticism as well as plaudits.

Personally Johansson gives me more confidence than Blackman even if he’s getting better (well was until his injury) and I’d like to see him number one seeing that he’s ours, still young enough to claim it though so I guess he’ll have to be patient

Which season did we keep swapping keepers?

ronniesboots
23-11-2020, 02:21 PM
PW obviously cannot see what the rest of us see - JB is p!ss poor and would be useless in L2 let alone the Championship. Get the viking in, played 1 won 1...as soon as JB got back in we lose.

Lol'smate
23-11-2020, 02:45 PM
Johansson didn't save the shot from outside the area which came through a crowd of players after a corner was half cleared. No defender went to block the shot. Rotherham won 2-1.
Blackman didn't save the shot from outside the area which came through a crowd of players after a corner was half cleared. No defender went to block the shot. Rotherham lost 1-0.
The Preston game was won because we managed to score two goals. It wasn't Blackman's fault that we didn't score against Swansea.
Which of the goals we have let in this season have been largely Blackman's fault?

daveemiller
23-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Johansson didn't save the shot from outside the area which came through a crowd of players after a corner was half cleared. No defender went to block the shot. Rotherham won 2-1.
Blackman didn't save the shot from outside the area which came through a crowd of players after a corner was half cleared. No defender went to block the shot. Rotherham lost 1-0.
The Preston game was won because we managed to score two goals. It wasn't Blackman's fault that we didn't score against Swansea.
Which of the goals we have let in this season have been largely Blackman's fault?

Blackman - good shot stopper, doesn't do anything fancy. Good positioning, gets his body behind the ball. You can tell he's been well coached by a top club. Decent down low for a tall guy. Performed reasonably well, well enough to keep his place for now I'd say, but had a poor game Saturday. Main weakness is collecting crosses. He doesn't look 6'7 when he jumps and his punches don't go very far.

Johansson. Decent debut. Had one or two comedy moments. Look like he may be a good acquisition in the long term but can we really afford to bed him in when every point is crucial. As lol eludes to, we don't score many, which puts pressure on the defence to be water tight.

I wonder if Vickers could yet be our trump card. I'd rather have one great keeper and a kid on the bench then three ordinary ones. I hope we are not in that scenario. I'm not too concerned with Blackman YET.

WanChaiMiller
23-11-2020, 04:09 PM
Obviously Warne sees them both in training every day that counts for nothing. We've seen Johansson once.

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-11-2020, 04:13 PM
Obviously Warne sees them both in training every day that counts for nothing. We've seen Johansson once.

Not entirely true.

Warne couldn't have seen Blackman in training sessions up to the Swansea game because he wasn't here.

Our other two keepers were here and in training but Warne chose to ignore them

PerigordMiller
23-11-2020, 05:01 PM
Blackman - good shot stopper, doesn't do anything fancy. Good positioning, gets his body behind the ball. You can tell he's been well coached by a top club. Decent down low for a tall guy. Performed reasonably well, well enough to keep his place for now I'd say, but had a poor game Saturday. Main weakness is collecting crosses. He doesn't look 6'7 when he jumps and his punches don't go very far.

Johansson. Decent debut. Had one or two comedy moments. Look like he may be a good acquisition in the long term but can we really afford to bed him in when every point is crucial. As lol eludes to, we don't score many, which puts pressure on the defence to be water tight.

I wonder if Vickers could yet be our trump card. I'd rather have one great keeper and a kid on the bench then three ordinary ones. I hope we are not in that scenario. I'm not too concerned with Blackman YET.

No idea about Vickers as I can't remember seeing him play. Lincoln obviously didn't rate hin high enough to keep him as no.2 - but maybe finances were a factor.

For me, I think stick with Blackman at the moment. He's had a couple of issues but we are nowhere near the Kelle Roos situation.

BramleyMiller58
23-11-2020, 05:15 PM
However Blackman does not appear to be in the same form he was in with the Blunts

Their fans were disappointed when he left to be replaced by Henderson

welovebooth
23-11-2020, 06:25 PM
Blackman by a country mile.

His sweeping play is excellent hood shot stopper comes for corners etc.

You can't judge good or bad johansson after one game but when he conceded he went to pot.

Godsend.F.C.
23-11-2020, 06:54 PM
Blackman by a country mile.

His sweeping play is excellent hood shot stopper comes for corners etc.

You can't judge good or bad johansson after one game but when he conceded he went to pot.

I have to agree Mr booth, Blackman all the way. Johansson will get his chance at a later date.
Stick with JB for now.

avondalemiller
23-11-2020, 07:21 PM
....i agree with most that JB is a bit dodgy. Both commentators on Sky and Quest said he was at fault for the goal and "wouldn't want to see this again"....

Watch the extended highlights on the Millers website, from behind the goal, the defence opens up and JB sees the shot all the way, no " thro a crowd of players", he should have at least stopped it and collected at 2nd attempt.

I'm yet to see a game when he commands his area like his size should do. He's hoping tomz...UTM.

CAMiller
23-11-2020, 07:30 PM
....i agree with most that JB is a bit dodgy. Both commentators on Sky and Quest said he was at fault for the goal and "wouldn't want to see this again"....

Watch the extended highlights on the Millers website, from behind the goal, the defence opens up and JB sees the shot all the way, no " thro a crowd of players", he should have at least stopped it and collected at 2nd attempt.

I'm yet to see a game when he commands his area like his size should do. He's hoping tomz...UTM.

On the extended Swansea highlights, their commentator notes that Rotherham have all 11 players back for the corner. 2 questions. (1) Why do we have everyone back for a corner just 25 minutes into a game (2) If we do have everyone back why does the GK feel the need to come out among a melee of bodies and paw it away, leave it to one of the other 10.

Brin
23-11-2020, 07:34 PM
On the extended Swansea highlights, their commentator notes that Rotherham have all 11 players back for the corner. 2 questions. (1) Why do we have everyone back for a corner just 25 minutes into a game (2) If we do have everyone back why does the GK feel the need to come out among a melee of bodies and paw it away, leave it to one of the other 10.

(1) That's the way Warne all corners to be defended? (2) This is one of Blackman's frailties.

Where's the bravado of leaving at least 1 if not 2 of ours up near the halfway line? This drags at least 2 if not 3 of the opposing players back to defend our potential storming forward from a break? It's gone too technical these days and bravado has gone out of the door.

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-11-2020, 07:37 PM

Maybe the manager knows our defence isn’t that good so goes for numbers.

As for the keeper, well that’s just bad decision making or maybe he also thinks the defence is crap.

Even though we are keeping the score down using this tactic it also means we won’t score many ( if any)

WanChaiMiller
23-11-2020, 07:41 PM

Dont think he 'paws it away'. The punch clears the area. Thats what keepers will be asked to do. Outfield players need to defend the second ball. That said, it would have been safer to clear it towards the touch line.

CAMiller
23-11-2020, 07:50 PM
Dont think he 'paws it away'. The punch clears the area. Thats what keepers will be asked to do. Outfield players need to defend the second ball. That said, it would have been safer to clear it towards the touch line.

I just looked it up. According to BS8734 a paw travels to the edge of the penalty area, a punch travels to within 15 yards of the half way line.

Brin
23-11-2020, 07:51 PM
I just looked it up. According to BS8734 a paw travels to the edge of the penalty area, a punch travels to within 15 yards of the half way line.

XD.....CAM only you could claw that one out.

WanChaiMiller
23-11-2020, 07:55 PM

What does a flap do?

CAMiller
23-11-2020, 07:57 PM
What does a flap do?

I'm not good with female anatomy so I never really worked that one out. I'll ask the wife XD

WanChaiMiller
23-11-2020, 07:57 PM

redhouse
23-11-2020, 08:01 PM
Blackman is being fouled by their player whose right heel is offside we wuz robbed XD

WanChaiMiller
23-11-2020, 08:01 PM
Blackman is being fouled by their player whose right heel is offside we wuz robbed XD

Need VAR.

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-11-2020, 08:09 PM
Need VAR.

Difficult to judge the angles but it looks as though the original shot would have gone wide had it not hit Blackman

WanChaiMiller
23-11-2020, 08:14 PM
Difficult to judge the angles but it looks as though the original shot would have gone wide had it not hit Blackman

Actually I think it would have gone wide.

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-11-2020, 08:15 PM
10 of our players in area, 7 of theirs

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-11-2020, 08:17 PM
I'm not good with female anatomy so I never really worked that one out. I'll ask the wife XD

She will probably say “ you do feck all”

avondalemiller
23-11-2020, 08:50 PM

It only clears the Penalty area with a bounce,....6ft 7" and flaps like a girl.....

CASPER-64-FRANK
23-11-2020, 09:38 PM
My opinion only.
Goalkeeper is the hardest position to play.
One minute you're a hero for a penalty save or reflex save one on one, the next you're zero for making several mistakes.
JB has to ' pull his socks' up a little, he's capable of improvement.

gru
23-11-2020, 09:41 PM
Remember Botham his way if your going to snick, snick hard. Same with punching, goalkeepers get some distance on it!

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-11-2020, 09:42 PM
It only clears the Penalty area with a bounce,....6ft 7" and flaps like a girl.....

I always assumed that keepers when punching the ball are trained to use the pace of the ball, ie to punch the ball towards the opposite wing away from where the cross was kicked.

It’s basic physics, if helped on with a punch in the direction of flight the ball will pick up speed and travel further, probably out for a throw in.

Punch at 90 degrees and some of the momentum of the ball is lost and won’t travel that far, plus it will be punched into a dangerous area, as we saw on Saturday

You see the same in cricket when a batsman “helps the ball on” diverting it behind the wicket.

avondalemiller
23-11-2020, 11:20 PM
Grist, well explained pal, email Woggy to tell JM....................

CAMiller
23-11-2020, 11:52 PM
I always assumed that keepers when punching the ball are trained to use the pace of the ball, ie to punch the ball towards the opposite wing away from where the cross was kicked.

It’s basic physics, if helped on with a punch in the direction of flight the ball will pick up speed and travel further, probably out for a throw in.

Punch at 90 degrees and some of the momentum of the ball is lost and won’t travel that far, plus it will be punched into a dangerous area, as we saw on Saturday

You see the same in cricket when a batsman “helps the ball on” diverting it behind the wicket.

I think we need the physics experts on list one as isn't it easier to hit a moving ball back in the direction it's coming from and take advantage of the ball compression associated with doing so? A bit like you always see a harder shot when a player kicks a ball coming at him than you do when he kicks a ball running away from him. Didn't you go to school with Isaac Newton Grist? Can you give him a call? XD

Grist_To_The_Mill
24-11-2020, 12:11 AM
I think we need the physics experts on list one as isn't it easier to hit a moving ball back in the direction it's coming from and take advantage of the ball compression associated with doing so? A bit like you always see a harder shot when a player kicks a ball coming at him than you do when he kicks a ball running away from him. Didn't you go to school with Isaac Newton Grist? Can you give him a call? XD

Indeed I did, I would show you the school photo but photography hadn’t been invented then.

Newton was a creep, he always had an apple for the teacher

As for the ball compression theory I don’t think that stands up. For example golf, I reckon Tiger Woods can hit a golf ball further than a similarly sized tennis ball where applied force will be lost in the compression

WanChaiMiller
24-11-2020, 06:23 AM
Indeed I did, I would show you the school photo but photography hadn’t been invented then.

Newton was a creep, he always had an apple for the teacher

As for the ball compression theory I don’t think that stands up. For example golf, I reckon Tiger Woods can hit a golf ball further than a similarly sized tennis ball where applied force will be lost in the compression

A golf ball compresses on impact.

WanChaiMiller
24-11-2020, 06:31 AM

If you deflect a cricket ball the only pace you have on it is the speed of the ball. Hit it back from whence it came young man.