PDA

View Full Version : Classic Commentaries

EthelRed
06-12-2020, 07:07 PM
The reply I put up under the Peter Allis memorial got me thinking about classic and favourite commentators and commentaries.

For us old ones who can forget ' some people are on the pitch, they think its all over..... it is now' Absolute classic.

David Coleman FA cup final 1972 when Clarke scored simply '1 nil' classic understatement.

Brian Johnson 'the batsman's holding the bowlers willey' some debate exists around whether he said this spontaneously or read a letter containing it. Nevertheless it was a gem.

Anyone recall any others?

Romared
06-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Murray Walker " that's the advantage of having a clear windscreen " SMASH , car arta action ;D

SBRed48
06-12-2020, 07:59 PM
Harry Carpenter--University Boat Race--"Great Rejoicing, the wife of the Cambridge President is kissing the Cox of the Cambridge crew"

David Coleman--Coe has opened his legs and shown us his class" and "julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they have eleven Dicks on the pitch".

Weightlifting Olympics -- In the Women's Heat this morning the quality of the Bulgarian Champion's snatch was on display for all to see.

animallittle3
06-12-2020, 08:18 PM
Rugby Union commentator Nigel Starmer - Smith for the BBC in a club game that was televised in the late 70's .

" You dont ever like to see hookers going down on players like that "

pass_and_move
06-12-2020, 08:48 PM
XD some classics there fellas.

Can't reel any old ones off to be honest. One that springs to mind is Mark Lawrenson at Oakwell in the dying embers of the Chelsea FA cup match when a few barnsley fans prematurely ran onto the pitch thinking the final whistle had been blown - "There's a few villages missing their idiots!"

pass_and_move
06-12-2020, 08:53 PM
The excitable Barry Davies in the Spurs v Arsenal fa cup semi at wembley when Gazza placed the ball darn for a free kick 35 yards from goal "Is Gascoigne gonna have a crack? He is you know OH I SAY!, brilliant, that is schoolboys own stuff"

pass_and_move
06-12-2020, 08:58 PM
Sid Waddell the Geordie Darts commentator worra character weren't he- "If Phil Taylor had turned up at the Battle of Hastings the Normans would've gone home"

animallittle3
06-12-2020, 09:01 PM
Barry Davies in the 1988 Olympic Mens Hockey final ...... Great Britain v West Germany .

GB have just scored the goal that puts the game to bed and Olympic Gold .

" where were the Germans ....... then again who cares "

EthelRed
06-12-2020, 09:48 PM
Some crackers there boys.

What about Agnew on the cricket when Botham stumbles and clips his bails with his pad ' he couldnt quite get his leg over'

OR

Bjorn Lillelien when Norway beat England....

Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher - can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!

Thats got to be one of the best spontaneous rants ever.

animallittle3
06-12-2020, 10:03 PM
Kenneth Wolstenholme is surely the greatest delivery ever broadcast .

" there's people on the pitch .... they think it's all over "

" it is now "

It's that good we all know when it was said and what it signified without me saying so .

SBRed48
06-12-2020, 10:07 PM
Sid Waddell--"That's the greatest comeback since Lazarus".

EthelRed
06-12-2020, 10:11 PM
Wolstenholmes words never to be forgotten. Genius spontaneity

EthelRed
06-12-2020, 10:12 PM
SB didnt Sid have a cracker about lipstick? Cant quite recall it.

pass_and_move
06-12-2020, 10:13 PM
Some crackers there boys.

What about Agnew on the cricket when Botham stumbles and clips his bails with his pad ' he couldnt quite get his leg over'

OR

Bjorn Lillelien when Norway beat England....

Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher - can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!

Thats got to be one of the best spontaneous rants ever.

XD beauty that Norwegian one Eths.

Ritchie Benaud was one of my favourite commentators growing up, so laid back, quite witty and never over the top. " Glen McGrath dismissed for 2 just 98 runs short of his century"

pass_and_move
06-12-2020, 10:19 PM
Al tell thi who best commentator iva wo- Dave Copping XD

Floridatyke
07-12-2020, 08:56 AM
F1 Murray Walker

SBRed48
07-12-2020, 10:00 AM
SB didnt Sid have a cracker about lipstick? Cant quite recall it.

Can't recall a Sid Waddell lipstick one Eths.

The only lipstick one that comes to mind is, "You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig"

EthelRed
07-12-2020, 04:16 PM
It could have been that one SB, my memory is hopeless.

On the subject of memories I stumbled across goals on Sunday on the web. Had the commentary from Keith Macklin. Remember him? followed by John Helm. Keiths voice reminds me of the early seventies and the old oakwell.

SBRed48
07-12-2020, 04:28 PM
John Helm's commentary on the classic 4-2 win at Millmoor is one of my all time favourites.

EthelRed
07-12-2020, 05:13 PM
John Helm's commentary on the classic 4-2 win at Millmoor is one of my all time favourites.

Now that was a match, what a day out as well. Ian Banks finest hour?

animallittle3
07-12-2020, 06:24 PM

" ball comes back for BANKS ......... OH WHAT A WAY TO GET A HAT TICK "