PDA

View Full Version : O/T:- FAO Elite ..... advice on dyed wool.

seriouspie
21-12-2020, 07:21 PM
Evening Elite

I'm treating myself to a Harris Tweed jacket from my online outfitter. The description says it is made from vegetable dyed virgin wool from the Western Isles of Scotland. It's not a cheap garment so I just wondered if this dye (or method of dyeing) is something you may be familiar with as I've never heard of it! It may be normal to dye wool by this method and you may say this is a common way of dyeing wool, I'm just curious that's all.

Cheers - SP.

60YearsAPie
21-12-2020, 08:11 PM
This tells you all you want to know, serious. Interesting read.

Obviously I'd heard of Harris Tweed, but didn't realise it's hand-woven in the Outer Hebrides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_Tweed

Elite_Pie
21-12-2020, 08:24 PM
Certainly one of the more bizarre topics on here! My experience was with nylon at the start, then a bit of cotton, but mainly polyester.
The only time I ever tried dyeing wool was attempting to dye a pale blue jumper black because it had a stain on it. It dyed perfectly, but what started out as an adult jumper came out suitable for a 10 year old.

Apart from repeating the old joke of what do you get if you cross a kangaroo with a sheep (a woolly jumper) the only advice I could give is not to buy a Harris Tweed jacket. It's the uniform of the anti-Brexit Tory gammon brigade.

Then again......

SwalePie
21-12-2020, 09:38 PM
My mother used to sell Harris Tweed cloth and garments, regularly travelling to Harris and Lewis to visit makers. The wool used in Harris Tweed was always traditionally 'dyed in the wool' using plant based dyes from the local area back in the day so I would imagine the garment you're considering is made using those traditional processes.

ETA: The local vegetation is now protected so the 'vegetable dyes' used are probably not from local plants these days!

laddo
21-12-2020, 09:48 PM
A very informative thread , thank you gentlemen excellent stuff (no snigger)

Elite_Pie
21-12-2020, 09:54 PM
A very informative thread , thank you gentlemen excellent stuff (no snigger)

I thought you said you didn't bother with O/T threads?

laddo
21-12-2020, 10:05 PM
That's true I rarely read them let alone post, but the combination of dyed wool advice and you proved too much lol.

I've learnt a lot.

Absolute gold, thank you.

Elite_Pie
21-12-2020, 10:15 PM
That's true I rarely read them let alone post, but the combination of dyed wool advice and you proved too much lol.

I've learnt a lot.

Absolute gold, thank you.

Oh well, at least we know you've never, ever clicked on the handbags thread.

Snigger.

SwalePie
21-12-2020, 10:24 PM
Please don't hijack this one as well chaps!

Elite_Pie
21-12-2020, 10:29 PM
Please don't hijack this one as well chaps!

Somehow, I can't see this being a long-running thread!

PedroTheFisherman66
21-12-2020, 10:49 PM
Evening Elite

I'm treating myself to a Harris Tweed jacket from my online outfitter. The description says it is made from vegetable dyed virgin wool from the Western Isles of Scotland. It's not a cheap garment so I just wondered if this dye (or method of dyeing) is something you may be familiar with as I've never heard of it! It may be normal to dye wool by this method and you may say this is a common way of dyeing wool, I'm just curious that's all.

Cheers - SP.

I think if Ardley wore a tweed jacket the players would respect him more , and he would instantly become a better manager.
His negative tactics would seem far more flamboyant in a Scottish tweed.
Any chance we can start a whip round for him or perhaps Laddo and his crew could start a funding page for the NA Harris Tweed Jacket fund.
I'm more than happy to chip in pound coin !x

lunaspie
21-12-2020, 11:12 PM

You've obviously never pulled at a loose one on a tweed jacket.

PedroTheFisherman66
22-12-2020, 06:39 AM
You've obviously never pulled at a loose one on a tweed jacket.

I don't think he's ever pulled a loose one ?!
Not even at Cheltenham with his Tux on !!!

LaxtonLad
22-12-2020, 06:52 AM
Evening Elite

Cheers - SP.

Will your jacket have the "leather football" buttons?

laddo
22-12-2020, 07:13 AM
Just wondered are you also the Go-to man when it comes to cross stitch?

Asking for a Great Aunt.

LaxtonLad
22-12-2020, 08:59 AM
Just wondered are you also the Go-to man when it comes to cross stitch?

Asking for a Great Aunt.

I do them!

laddo
22-12-2020, 10:19 AM

I don't know about that now Pedro has expertly linked harris tweed to Neal Ardley, I think it could have legs

seriouspie
22-12-2020, 11:15 AM
Thanks all - some good replies that made me chuckle!

Laxo: Yes it has leather 'football' buttons.

60YearsaPie: Thanks for your info, indeed very informative.

Elite: Not a political symbol. Harris Tweed jacket, Tattershall check shirt and mustard chinos ...... the attire of an English countryman! You Townies won't understand XD.

Elite_Pie
22-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Elite: Not a political symbol. Harris Tweed jacket, Tattershall check shirt and mustard chinos ...... the attire of an English countryman!

If you take the o, r, y, m, a and n out of the last word I think I understand.

seriouspie
22-12-2020, 01:34 PM
If you take the o, r, y, m, a and n out of the last word I think I understand.

Thank you kind sir ........ if I decoded correctly it leaves a word pertaining to something useful for pleasure if you know what I mean. The object all men come out of ..... and most spend the rest of their days trying to get back into! You can't beat one that is English and not bald as I prefer them to look like a stab wound on a gorilla's back. (ref: Jim Davidson .. a proper Englishman).

Joking aside, have as good a Christmas as possible and keep up the banter.

sidders
22-12-2020, 02:42 PM
Thank you kind sir ........ if I decoded correctly it leaves a word pertaining to something useful for pleasure if you know what I mean. The object all men come out of ..... and most spend the rest of their days trying to get back into! You can't beat one that is English and not bald as I prefer them to look like a stab wound on a gorilla's back. (ref: Jim Davidson .. a proper Englishman).

Joking aside, have as good a Christmas as possible and keep up the banter.

The object all men come out of

Julius Caesar and one or two other chaps might beg to differ. Hope this doesn't count as a hijack, Swaley.

seriouspie
22-12-2020, 03:08 PM
The object all men come out of

Julius Caesar and one or two other chaps might beg to differ. Hope this doesn't count as a hijack, Swaley.

Dunno about Julius, Sidney ... a little before my time. You're not suggesting he liked to lift a few togas are you? ('lifting' being in the context of 'stealing' of course). Thinking about it, possibly the main cause for the Roman invasion was to get their hands on some genuine tweed cloth ....... a little warmer than cotton or whatever togas were made of!

laddo
22-12-2020, 03:25 PM
So we've got an established dexter, an expert embroider, any keen knitters out there to join the NCM Textile Army?

We shouldn't be surprised it fits the NCM demographic perfectly.

lunaspie
25-12-2020, 11:38 PM
So we've got an established dexter, an expert embroider, any keen knitters out there to join the NCM Textile Army?

We shouldn't be surprised it fits the NCM demographic perfectly.

Gary Silk wormed his way out of service in that particular NCM army.

laddo
26-12-2020, 09:14 AM
Was Gary Silk the player who had a shocker and the match day sponsor gave him the man of the match award?

The reaction in the Derek Pavis stand was bewilderment and amusement. Must have been harsh for the player in question to hear, you are named MOTM and all you hear is laughter and puzzlement.

lunaspie
26-12-2020, 08:50 PM
Indeed he was - many and vociferous were the cries for him to be substituted - 'bring Ray on!'