PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea 4-2 Notts 2003

tommopie8
22-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Anyone know where I could find goals from the game above? Talking about the best goal I've seen live earlier and think J-F Hasselbaink's takes some beating. Can't find footage anywhere though.

Is there a subscription service Notts offer for archived highlights?

laddo
22-02-2021, 06:41 PM
Yeah Jimmy Floyd's goal oozed the quality player he was, what about Tony Barras' blockbuster long range finish. The scenes in the away end were a thing of beauty.

What a night, what an atmosphere, and I nailed the correct score with a trip to a local Ladbrokes before kick off.

for*sttown63
22-02-2021, 07:15 PM
Got to the ground without tickets and couldn’t get in as was told it was a sellout!
Gutted!
Watched it in a local Aussie bar and spent as much as the tickets would have cost!
☹️

tied_up_in_notts
22-02-2021, 08:45 PM
what about Tony Barras' blockbuster long range finish.

Yes he must have been all of a yard away from the goal-line when he blasted it in.

To be fair though, in all my years of following Notts I have never known a goal celebration to go on for as long as that one did - I can actually remember jumping up and down and getting exhausted and thinking "Can we stop now?"

Also, amazing scenes at the end when the Chelsea fans in the Matthew Harding Stand gave the Notts fans a huge round of applause - we really did create a great atmosphere that night. Knowing we might soon be out of business played big part in that I think.

laddo
22-02-2021, 08:58 PM
I missed the ;) my mistake. He did score a genuine thunderbolt from a long way out at Meadow Lane against someone.

I also remember the celebration for that goal well. I was on the end of a packed out row and when we scored the equaliser in a state of shock and extreme excitement I whacked my knee into the metal seat post as I tried to leg it down the steps to the masses at the front. I knew instantly that I'd done some damage but at that point didn't care as we all celebrated at the front.

I then looked up at the tier above to see a front row of amused and bemused Chelski fans smiling down at the scenes.

Naturally once I returned to my seat the pain from my knee reminded me for the rest of game every single minute. Thank goodness we'd been on the beers all afternoon to numb some of the pain.

Great memories from that memorable night for all in attendance.

The_Don_ORiordan
22-02-2021, 10:11 PM
Yes he must have been all of a yard away from the goal-line when he blasted it in.

To be fair though, in all my years of following Notts I have never known a goal celebration to go on for as long as that one did - I can actually remember jumping up and down and getting exhausted and thinking "Can we stop now?"

Also, amazing scenes at the end when the Chelsea fans in the Matthew Harding Stand gave the Notts fans a huge round of applause - we really did create a great atmosphere that night. Knowing we might soon be out of business played big part in that I think.

I know exactly what you mean chap. But the goal scored by Don o’riordan against Spurs is the one I remember celebrating most, to the point of almost passing out!

Great game the Chelsea one, they donated their shirts to us if I remember. We really did feel like it might be the end.

MAD_MAGPIE
22-02-2021, 10:56 PM
It was one of those memorable games that sticks in the mind. Going down to capital on the supporters coaches, fans dressed up and singing "We are only here for the money" when the East Midlands today cameras were on us. It was when we were in administration and needed money for survival. We played Chelsea not long after Roman Abramovich had brought the club.

Likewise as others have said being so tightly packed together was fantastic when we scored. To go to Stamford Bridge and score twice was fantastic. Mark Stallard's goal near the end of the game topped off what was a proud and memorable night to be a Notts fan.

I think Chelsea donated their shirts or something to help with the fundraising efforts?

tied_up_in_notts
23-02-2021, 04:13 AM
And now here we are struggling to keep up with Sutton friggin United in a Mickey Mouse league. Talk about bathos.

bouncingoffthewalls
23-02-2021, 09:05 AM
He did score a genuine thunderbolt from a long way out at Meadow Lane against someone.

If I rememeber rightly, that goal was what at the time might have been our last game due to the Admin saga.

cocopops61
23-02-2021, 09:23 AM
I went straight down with a workmate (you out there Tony) from work at 2pm and I would say that it was one of the best games of my life and what an electric atmosphere,I honestly believed that we could have got something out of the game if we had been given a penalty that I remember we should have had,fair play to Chelsea as they put out a strong team when they could have put out some youngsters instead and I think that there was a decent crowd compared to elsewhere

laddo
23-02-2021, 09:28 AM
If I rememeber rightly, that goal was what at the time might have been our last game due to the Admin saga.

If I had to guess I would say Luton were the opponents, but wouldn't put any money on it. Must have been 35 yards out

bouncingoffthewalls
23-02-2021, 10:30 AM
If I had to guess I would say Luton were the opponents, but wouldn't put any money on it. Must have been 35 yards out

Spot on...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/notts-county-v-luton-town-06-september-2003-16424/

lunaspie
23-02-2021, 08:55 PM
And now here we are struggling to keep up with Sutton friggin United in a Mickey Mouse league. Talk about bathos.

He's one of The Three Musketeers ain't he ?

SwalePie
23-02-2021, 09:00 PM
He's one of The Three Musketeers ain't he ?

No I think he plays for D'Artford

lunaspie
23-02-2021, 09:18 PM
No I think he plays for D'Artford

Come on you Sacre Bleus !