View Full Version : Book of Football

phild
26-02-2021, 10:15 PM
Who remembers the Park Drive book of football? It used to be the equivalent of the Wisden cricket book. It used to come out every season I think back in the 60s and 70s. Full of facts from which I always remember The highest score ever was Aberdeen 36 Bon Accord 0. I don't think there is anything like it now, but I could be wrong

TipperaryBaggie
26-02-2021, 10:41 PM
Always remember getting the Charles Buchan Football Annual in the early 60's.

phild
26-02-2021, 10:51 PM
I faintly remember playfair and Rothmans doing something similar as football reference books. I nearly always had a SHOOT! annual for xmas.

mickd1961
26-02-2021, 10:53 PM
Shoot annuals for me.

Favourite meal - Steak and Chips.

Favourite TV show - Starsky and Hutch

🤩🤩🤩

phild
26-02-2021, 10:56 PM
Shoot annuals for me.

Favourite meal - Steak and Chips.

Favourite TV show - Starsky and Hutch

������

Loved Starsky and Hutch but went downhil quickly when it became far too comical and Hutch became bloated with a Mexican tash. His singing was woeful but he was huge with the girlies. Don't give up on me baby, jeez

Q165
27-02-2021, 09:13 AM
Always remember getting the Charles Buchan Football Annual in the early 60's.

Ditto and an essential Christmas present. Still have them somewhere. Also remember the Topical Times Football Annual.

Leicesterbaggie
27-02-2021, 10:07 AM
Ditto and an essential Christmas present. Still have them somewhere. Also remember the Topical Times Football Annual.

Yes, always a must as a Xmas present. I've still got mine. Don't know if they are worth anything. Do any of you also remember 'The Big Book of Football Champions?' That was also a regular present.

Albionic68
27-02-2021, 11:13 AM
Who remembers the Park Drive book of football? It used to be the equivalent of the Wisden cricket book. It used to come out every season I think back in the 60s and 70s. Full of facts from which I always remember The highest score ever was Aberdeen 36 Bon Accord 0. I don't think there is anything like it now, but I could be wrong

My dad used to smoke Park Drive and he'd also collect the books which he kept for years. I've still got a few of the them, presumably in the loft.

I used to enjoy going through them as he told me about the various players when I was at primary school. I can still remember reading through the one attached to your opening post.

Not only did those books help me get into football but they were used as a reading and conversational aid.

Much more interesting than tales of Jack and the Bean Stalk. Happy memories of a time long gone. Cheers for posting Phil.

WBA1955
27-02-2021, 12:16 PM

Actually Phil I had that copy. I still have one in the shed somewhere from the following season.