PDA

View Full Version : Coventry - U.K. City Of Culture 2021.

mickd1961
02-03-2021, 09:33 PM
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

9goals2hattricks3pen
02-03-2021, 09:43 PM
Coventry City Council have organised Cultural Coach Tours for the event. Buses leave the Town Hall on the hour and drive straight to Stratford on Avon.

mickd1961
02-03-2021, 10:01 PM
Coventry City Council have organised Cultural Coach Tours for the event. Buses leave the Town Hall on the hour and drive straight to Stratford on Avon.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Talk about trying to polish a t ur d.

Coventry is one of the biggest s h I t holes on the planet.

westcountryvillain
02-03-2021, 10:16 PM
I disagree Mick - it's the biggest.

mickd1961
02-03-2021, 10:22 PM
I disagree Mick - it's the biggest.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Acido
03-03-2021, 12:39 AM
Cov can't even host their own 'home' footy matches at the moment lol.
So how are they going to be the Culture Capital City of 2021, will they get Warsaw and Dudley Taarn to do it for them ?. :P

phild
03-03-2021, 08:11 AM
I suppose it could have been worse as Stoke-on-Trent was on the shortlist but were pipped at the post

Pugmitch
03-03-2021, 08:21 AM
The only culture I’ve ever seen in Coventry was growing on a dog turd!

Q165
03-03-2021, 10:48 AM
Hold on a minute. I lived in Coventry for five years. It has an outstanding C20th cathedral and interesting bombed out remains of the old one and .....umm that’s about it really. Left in 1975 and have never been back. The new and old cathedrals are good though.

kettering_baggie
03-03-2021, 12:15 PM
Maybe it’s meant to be the City of Alternative Culture? Plenty of that about nowadays!

Albionic68
03-03-2021, 01:52 PM
Coventry council began slum clearances in the city during the thirties. The Germans continued the trend in the forties with typical heart breaking efficiency.

Architects and councillors then finished the job and went on to take the pi ss out of the city's redevelopment from the fifties onwards. I believe one actually received an award for his 'work' during the sixties or seventies.

I've had the misfortune to spend a lot of time in Coventry over the years. The place has had a makeover in very recent times and it's better than it was.

I still wouldn't want to live there though, a damning indictment from someone brought up where I was and who now lives where I do.

Albionic68
03-03-2021, 01:56 PM
As a footnote, what happened to the historic city of Coventry is nothing short of a crying shame and could have happened pretty much anywhere given the right/wrong circumstances.

WBA1955
03-03-2021, 04:18 PM
I would have loved to have seen it before the war when it was a medieval city. It was supposed to have been one of the best in the country.
The Germans destroyed it in a night.
I always believe that the bombing of Dresden was done in revenge. We weren't going to let them get away with that.

kettering_baggie
03-03-2021, 05:13 PM
The industry in Coventry, especially the motor industry and its related manufacturing workshops were a major contributor to our war effort in WWII, it’s no surprise that the Germans bombed it. As for Dresden, I understood that it was a major railhead and they had ball bearing factories there, the loss of which would be a blow to their faltering war effort. I also believe that we bombed Dresden at least in part, due to pressure from the Soviets to soften the Germans up prior to them taking the city.

SwedishBaggie
03-03-2021, 08:27 PM
I stayed in Coventry for one night in a dodgy B & B in the early 90s.

I remember asking myself why back then, still no good answer. 😎

soulman101
03-03-2021, 09:07 PM
To be sent to Coventry.

https://wordhistories.net/2017/06/11/send-to-coventry-origin/

WBA1955
03-03-2021, 11:02 PM
The industry in Coventry, especially the motor industry and its related manufacturing workshops were a major contributor to our war effort in WWII, it’s no surprise that the Germans bombed it. As for Dresden, I understood that it was a major railhead and they had ball bearing factories there, the loss of which would be a blow to their faltering war effort. I also believe that we bombed Dresden at least in part, due to pressure from the Soviets to soften the Germans up prior to them taking the city.

The plans of the RAF and the USAAF were to bomb the major cities, especially Berlin, but Churchill overuled them and told Harris to hit Dresden.
There are different opinions of why he chose Dresden, yes, it had a railhead there and yes the Russians were close.
But Churchill thought we would be fighting the Russians after the war ended, he didn't like Stalin and I doubt he would have wanted to do them any favours.
It could have been to show them the might of the allied air forces, but Churchill visited Coventry and saw the devastation, there are rumours that he knew that it was the target of the Luftwaffe that night, but he kept stum because he didn't want the Germans to know we had cracked their codes. It could have been a guilt trip on his part. But I guess we'll never know.

kettering_baggie
04-03-2021, 12:08 AM
War, I can believe that the determination required in fighting a war will blur ones normal sense of what is ‘reasonable’. It was a war that many thought at the outset could not be won. So many lives lost and appalling atrocities committed by the Nazis no doubt drove the Allies on in their determination to secure total victory. Of course, civilians, on both sides, don’t fare well. My generation has been so fortunate in not having to endure another World War; I don’t think that we can even begin to imagine what it would be like. So it’s almost impossible for us to judge those that had to make some awful decisions. If there is a God, I just hope that He sees fit to spare humanity from another global war, although there are enough local ones in progress to suggest that Divine intervention is unlikely to spare us from such activities in the future. I worry for my children and grandchildren as to what the future holds in store for them.