PDA

View Full Version : O/T:- The Cheltenham Festival

Elite_Pie
15-03-2021, 08:17 PM
It's definitely a rather low key and watered down version this year, with no spectators and smaller fields and prize money. Saying that, it's still the World Cup of jump racing and there are some mouth-watering races to look forward to. As I always make clear, this isn't an incitement for anyone to gamble, it's aimed at helping anyone who will have a few bets to maximise their chances. There are always good offers at this time of year, and making the most of them could turn as loss into profit. A couple of the best offers for tomorrow are Skybet's 'money back as cash if your horse loses in the first' up to a £10 stake. If you win you win, if you lose you don't lose! The other is 888Sports new customer 'bet £10 on the first race tomorrow and get £35 in free bets'. That means if you open an account and bet £10 on the opener, you will be credited with 7 x £5 bets to use over the next 7 days. Always read the T&Cs before claiming, but there's nothing nasty in there. My other advice would be to check out what bookie is offering what. Make sure you get best odds guaranteed, and check place terms for each way bets - in the handicaps especially, some pay out on the first 4, some on the first 5, and some will even pay out on the first 6. This can mean the difference between a winning and losing bet, so do your homework. That's the end of my annual gambling lesson, so on to my selections. I haven't had a losing Cheltenham on here for ages, so I'm due one. Treat this like the score prediction, just a bit of fun.

1:20 Metier
1:55 Shishkin (I won't back him at 1/2, I've had a bit on Captain Guiness without the favourite)
2:30 Discordantly e/w (based on e/w paying 5 places)
3:05 Honeysuckle (never been a big fan until her last run, that converted me)
3:40 Roksana
4:15 Nassalam e/w (again based on 5 e/w places)
4:50 Galvin

ivansneck
15-03-2021, 08:38 PM
I'll follow you for my usual 50 p a time!

Elite_Pie
15-03-2021, 08:53 PM

I've always hoped people would follow my betting advice rather than my selections, but in this case you should get a bit of excitement over the afternoon (possibly followed by disappointment) for just £3.50. In Covid times, that seems almost appealing. To compare it in terms of value, you could pay £9.99 for the Boreham Wood live stream and still get a bit of excitement followed by disappointment!

Let's hope we're all winners tomorrow.

laddo
15-03-2021, 09:06 PM
Love myself some horse racing and big fan of the big festival.

Only two for me tomorrow.

1:20 Métier - NAP plus Skybet Money back if you lose is the best offer in town.

3:05 Epatante - like EP hugely impressed with Honeysuckle's last run but his odds are too short now. I'll play Epatante at 4s

i961pie
16-03-2021, 05:55 AM
I have taken up Ladbrokes offer of bet £5 and get 4×£5 free bets.
1-20. Ballyadam
1-55 Shiskin but I have had a antipost e/w bet on Franco de Port @16/1
2-30 Alnadam
3-05. Honeysuckle. Sharjah e/w @16/1
3-40 Concertista
4-15. Houx Gris-- Sage Advice e/w @22/1
4-50 Galvin
Best of luck.
EP I had the e/w bet in the Arkle antipost when there were 10 runners or more now there are only six. Does that mean I will have to finish in the first 2 or will the original placing count?

PedroTheFisherman66
16-03-2021, 08:28 AM

Get your money on RONSEAL...!
It's good over fences...!!!

Elite_Pie
16-03-2021, 09:34 AM
EP I had the e/w bet in the Arkle antipost when there were 10 runners or more now there are only six. Does that mean I will have to finish in the first 2 or will the original placing count?

I'm pretty sure the bet will be settled based on number of runners when you placed it, so I think you should get paid if it finishes third.

i961pie
16-03-2021, 09:48 AM
I'm pretty sure the bet will be settled based on number of runners when you placed it, so I think you should get paid if it finishes third.

Cheers

i961pie
16-03-2021, 09:49 AM

Don't give up your day job:s

Elite_Pie
16-03-2021, 10:00 AM

The first time my youngest daughter joined the Cheltenham trip she came out of the service station, and said the old bloke who had served her told her to back Dusty Carpet. I said I bet he also told you that "it's never been beaten". She still didn't get it!

PedroTheFisherman66
16-03-2021, 10:17 AM
The first time my youngest daughter joined the Cheltenham trip she came out of the service station, and said the old bloke who had served her told her to back Dusty Carpet. I said I bet he also told you that "it's never been beaten". She still didn't get it!

Even I decided against using that one..!
Broken drum was on the cards though..😎

metrocab
16-03-2021, 12:59 PM
Will feel strange watching the festival on the tv after attending the previous 20.

1.20:Soaring Glory
1.55:Shishkin
2.30:Pym
3.05:Goshen
3.40:Concertista
4.15:Houx Gris
4.50:Galvin

Not had a bet but those are the nags i will be following on tv

ivansneck
16-03-2021, 07:41 PM
3 wins 4 losses. A slight loss of money, but enjoyed the races. Happy to follow Elite’s choices tomorrow as well.

Elite_Pie
16-03-2021, 10:18 PM
A difficult first day, but I emerged with a bit of profit mainly due to some good offers and getting on Honeysuckle at 7/2 immediately after her previous run. My only other ante-post bet was on Kilcruit who runs tomorrow. Day 2 selections:

1:20 Bravemansgame (Skybet are repeating their fantastic 'money back as cash up to £10 if you lose' offer)
1:55 Sporting John (without the favourite)
2:30 Shakem Up'Arry (e/w 1-7 places)
3:05 Chacun Pour Soi
3:40 Easyland
4:15 On The Slopes (e/w 1-6 places)
4:50 Kilcruit

metrocab
17-03-2021, 11:51 AM
Small loss yesterday

1.20:Bravemansgame
1.55:Monkfish
2.30:Monte Cristo
3.05:Nube Negra
3.40:Some Neck
4.15:Zanza
4.55:Elle Est Belle

i961pie
17-03-2021, 01:04 PM
I made a profit with Honeysuckle and Galvin plus Sharja each way.
1-20. Bob Olinger
1-55. Monkfish
2-30 Grand Roi-- Botox Has e/w
3-05. Cancun Pour Soi
3-40. Some Neck
4-15 Ibleo-- Moonlighter e/w
4-50. Kilcruit

Elite_Pie
17-03-2021, 10:21 PM
Not a good day at all today, this is the day I would usually be there so at least I don't have to suffer the piss taking regarding my selections on the journey back! On to tomorrow with a bit of credibility to be regained:

1:20 Chatham Street Lad (with William Hill*)
1:55 Milliner e/w (got 11/1 on six places)
2:30 Dashel Drasher e/w (22/1 on six places)
3.05 Flooring Porter (William Hill)
3:40 Happy Diva e/w (six places)
4:15 Royal Kahala
4:50 Hold the Note

* The reason I specify William Hill is that they are doing a 'money back as cash if your horse finishes second' offer. That served me very well today, and turned a big loss into a small one. I couldn't see either Put The Kettle On or Sir Gerhard beating the favourite, but I saw them as the only danger. I had a modest bet on both, and both became winning bets. As I always preach, it's taking advantage of little things like this that can make the difference between winning and losing.

A special mention to Rachael Blackmore in the last. Kilcruit was my banker of the day, and I'm convinced he was the best horse in the race despite finishing second. He was beaten not by a better horse, but by a masterful ride from Rachael Blackmore. On Honeysuckle yesterday she was on the best horse and did what was required, today she pinched the race by dictating the pace from the front, and then kicking on at a time that caught the other jockeys cold. Paul Townend rides Cheltenham as well as anyone, but today Rachael caught him with his pants down. There aren't many sports where women compete with men on an equal level, but this girl is a match for anyone.

i961pie
18-03-2021, 06:37 AM
Not a good day at all today, this is the day I would usually be there so at least I don't have to suffer the piss taking regarding my selections on the journey back! On to tomorrow with a bit of credibility to be regained:

* The reason I specify William Hill is that they are doing a 'money back as cash if your horse finishes second' offer. That served me very well today, and turned a big loss into a small one. I couldn't see either Put The Kettle On or Sir Gerhard beating the favourite, but I saw them as the only danger. I had a modest bet on both, and both became winning bets. As I always preach, it's taking advantage of little things like this that can make the difference between winning and losing.

A special mention to Rachael Blackmore in the last. Kilcruit was my banker of the day, and I'm convinced he was the best horse in the race despite finishing second. He was beaten not by a better horse, but by a masterful ride from Rachael Blackmore. On Honeysuckle yesterday she was on the best horse and did what was required, today she pinched the race by dictating the pace from the front, and then kicking on at a time that caught the other jockeys cold. Paul Townend rides Cheltenham as well as anyone, but today Rachael caught him with his pants down. There aren't many sports where women compete with men on an equal level, but this girl is a match for anyone.

every cloud EP;D Agree with you about Rachel, she has to be one of the best jockeys riding at present.
I had a bad day also just got a bit back on a couple of each way doubles.
1-20 Envoir Allen
1-55 Milliner e/w I got 20/1 5 places
2-30 Mr Fisher 12/1 antipost e/w
3-05 Paisley Park-- Lisnegar Oscar 20/1 antipost e/w
3-40 Carribean Boy
4-15 Gauloise-- Skyace 14/1 e/w
4-50 Mt Ida
Best of luck

laddo
18-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Traditionally the day I like the least during the festival for ££ reasons. So this time decided to go for one big win.
1:20
Undecided. Complete free bet so will take on the favourite

1:55
Kansas City Chief
Come On Teddy

3:40
Happy Diva
Two Taffs
Dead Right

4:50
Hold The Note
Storm Control
Bob Mahler

Big fields
Big odds
E/W on all bar one.

Good luck everyone.

I have a feeling I may hate the 3rd day at Cheltenham once again.

i961pie
18-03-2021, 10:33 AM

Dashel Drasher is a non runner.

Elite_Pie
18-03-2021, 10:47 AM
Dashel Drasher is a non runner.

Change it to Melon. I'd already backed him e/w to five places as well.

flukieireland
18-03-2021, 10:48 AM
i know nothing about Horses..but i do know one of the owners of Skyace who was bought for only €600 and runs in the mares novice at 4.15... there will be a lot of happy people round my way if it wins.. currently drifted to 22s 4 places and 25s 3 places i think..

metrocab
18-03-2021, 12:50 PM
1.20:Envoi Allen
1.55:Champagne Platinum
2.30:Mister Fisher
3.05:Paisley Park
3.40:Sully D`oc AA
4.15;Royal Kahala
4.50:Morning Vicar

Not a penny on any of these nags so no doubt some of these will win!

i961pie
18-03-2021, 01:38 PM
i know nothing about Horses..but i do know one of the owners of Skyace who was bought for only €600 and runs in the mares novice at 4.15... there will be a lot of happy people round my way if it wins.. currently drifted to 22s 4 places and 25s 3 places i think..

Just backed Skyace at 18/1 5 places.
That punter did well cashing out for £250,000.

laddo
18-03-2021, 01:39 PM
Nice 15/2 winner on race 1. Now to lose all that profit over 3 later races but at least they are all now free bets.

Elite_Pie
18-03-2021, 01:50 PM
Nice 15/2 winner on race 1. Now to lose all that profit over 3 later races but at least they are all now free bets.

I think Undecided was a non-runner.

I had a small bet on the winner solely because of Skybet's 'money back as cash if your horse finishes 2nd, 3rd or 4th':

£5.00Single @ 15/2
Potential Returns:
£42.50
Cash Out is unavailable on this bet. Find out more
Settled
Won
3 - Chantry House @ 15/2
Win
13.20 Cheltenham: Marsh Novices Chase: Money Back As Cash If Your Horse Finishes 2nd, 3rd or 4th (T's & C's Apply)

laddo
18-03-2021, 02:06 PM
They've definitely paid out on it :)
The same skinny 15/2 odds as you quote due to the generous sky bet offer, just a slightly bigger stake.

Followed up with a good 3rd for Come On Teddy in the 2nd.

laddo
18-03-2021, 06:49 PM
No more winners but a couple of place finishes in the last makes it a very good day.

Elite_Pie
18-03-2021, 09:42 PM
A pretty good day today with a decent priced winner at last. On to tomorrow:

1:20 Zanahiyr
1:55 Petit Mouchoir (e/w at 33s on 1-6 places)
2:30 Torygraph (6/1 William Hill)
3:05 A Plus Tard
3:40 Bob And Co
4:15 Elimay
4:50 Langar Dan

i961pie
19-03-2021, 06:04 AM
I had one of my better Cheltenham days yesterday, my free bet Mt.Ida won the last 11/2 and I had it in a double with Telmesomethingirl
I also had Allaho 5/1 and The Shunted 9/2 in a double and had two big price each ways placed also, happy days long may it continue.
1-20 Tritonic
1-55 Champagne Gold-- Gowel Road e/w 16/1
2-30-- Torygrapth
3-05-- Champ--- Native River 14/1 e/w
3-40-- Billaway-- Salvatory 30/1 5 places e/w
4-15-- Colreevy
4-50-- Langer Dan

laddo
19-03-2021, 08:25 AM
1:55 Petite Mouchoir, Le Patriote, Darraso (All E/W)
3:40 Bob & Co

laddo
19-03-2021, 01:18 PM
Le Patriote is a non runner so replace with Milkwood

1:20 Zanahiyr (Sky Bet Offer)

laddo
19-03-2021, 02:07 PM
3 bets in a large field and it's 2nd and 3rd and very tidy profit.

Delighted but was so close to a huge win, if Petite Mouchoir had got up for the win at 28/1.

Elite_Pie
19-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Not a good day today, but yet again Cheltenham has reinforced what I've always said on here - if you want to beat the bookies, you have to take advantage of the offers. I've just done a quick calculation on the 28 horses I've selected on here in the most basic terms, which is settled at starting price and standard each way rules. To my surprise, I would have made a tiny profit. If you staked £10 per race on all my selections (£5 each way where I've stipulated it) your outlay of £280 would have returned £281.65. Contrast that with what you could have made by taking advantage of the offers. For starters, Skybet's first race offer would have added £40 to the profit, and things like money back for second, money back if your horse fails to finish, free bets, best price guarantee, price boosts, enhanced places and so on would have added a lot more.

The main memory of this year is the dominance of Rachael Blackmore in particular and the Irish in general. I can't think of any other mainstream sport where women compete against men on equal terms and come out on top. To put it into perspective, this is like a woman becoming top scorer in a World Cup tournament.

laddo
19-03-2021, 08:46 PM
I've had another good and profitable festival although didn't lad a big winner this time. Not the same without the crowds obviously but the pandemic and the subsequent home working has allowed me to watch more live races on the telly than any other year previously and there have been some great races.

Elite is right always take advantage of the generous offers from bookies for Cheltenham that you don't see at any other meeting, it can certainly get you out of a bit of a hole if you don't pick many winners.

I didn't do any ante post this year as I've been detached from racing this time round for the obvious reasons. However, I did my research used my rating system and above all hand selected the races where the numbers and odds matched up well. You don't have to bet on every race for the sake of it.

Same again next year but with the huge crowds hopefully

i961pie
20-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Had a bad last day but finished about even on the week. Really enjoyed seeing Rachel Blackmore performing like she did, but British racing needs to take a long hard look at itself after being thrashed by the Irish.