PDA

View Full Version : Irresponsible Dundee University students

islaydarkblue
20-03-2021, 10:47 PM
It has been reported that 36 Dundee University students have tested positive for the Covid-19 virus as a result of attending a party last Sunday in a student flat.
In my opinion this is highly irresponsible and anti social. People cannot meet their loved ones and football fans still cannot attend football matches yet these students seem to think that they are above the law.
The worrying thing is that some of these students might running the U.K. in thirty years time.
These students should be thrown out of Dundee University due to them breaking the law.

thegen65
20-03-2021, 11:01 PM
People cannot meet their loved ones and football fans still cannot attend football matches yet these students seem to think that they are above the law.
The worrying thing is that some of these students might running the U.K. in thirty years time.
These students should be thrown out of Dundee University due to them breaking the law.

Islay, Can i ask what is your opinion of people who travelled from one part of Scotland, lets say maybe one of the Islands to the mainland,then staying a few months on the mainland and then travelling back to the Islands during the current stay at home restriction?

Do you think they are above the law?

Would you class them as breaking the rules? Assuming of course none of this travelling etc was for essential reasons?

hmac
21-03-2021, 03:16 AM
Islay, Can i ask what is your opinion of people who travelled from one part of Scotland, lets say maybe one of the Islands to the mainland,then staying a few months on the mainland and then travelling back to the Islands during the current stay at home restriction?

Would you class them as breaking the rules? Assuming of course none of this travelling etc was for essential reasons?

Such a person should be put in jail, or at the very least be banned from using the internet.

BCram
21-03-2021, 06:57 PM
Such a person should be put in jail, or at the very least be banned from using the internet.

If I did not know better I might think you were teasing Islay.

hmac
22-03-2021, 07:51 AM
If I did not know better I might think you were teasing Islay.

Surely Islay wouldn’t have been such a person?

Returnofrros
22-03-2021, 09:56 AM
If Islay travelled he's not alone.

When will people wake up to this bull.....probably never.

Deeranged
22-03-2021, 03:06 PM
I drove up to Glencoe with a mate yesterday. We went hill walking and saw one other person all day, out in the wide open spaces, 700m up in the air, near the top of a mountain and we passed about 10 feet away from him. Seemingly all three of us will now die a slow horrible death if you believe the pish being spouted, not because we were where we were or because two of us travelled in the same car, oh no, it's because that car travelled from Dundee into Angus, into Perthshire, Into Stirlingshire, into Argyll and Bute then into Highland. Have you ever in your entire life heard such total pish?

How on earth is crossing imaginary borders in an enclosed vehicle considered a serious Covid risk when going into Tesco Kingsway and passing within two feet of multiple total strangers isn't?

Just total bull****..... people need to waken up and realise we're having the pish ripped right out of us by clueless scientists that are guessing and making it up (badly) as they go along? Now they're trying to make predictions of what might happen six or more months from now when they can't even see what's happening now - and our gullible government are listening to them. What the **** is going on in this country? Why do people accept this nonsense?

Returnofrros
22-03-2021, 03:20 PM
I drove up to Glencoe with a mate yesterday. We went hill walking and saw one other person all day, out in the wide open spaces, 700m up in the air, near the top of a mountain and we passed about 10 feet away from him. Seemingly all three of us will now die a slow horrible death if you believe the pish being spouted, not because we were where we were or because two of us travelled in the same car, oh no, it's because that car travelled from Dundee into Angus, into Perthshire, Into Stirlingshire, into Argyll and Bute then into Highland. Have you ever in your entire life heard such total pish?

How on earth is crossing imaginary borders in an enclosed vehicle considered a serious Covid risk when going into Tesco Kingsway and passing within two feet of multiple total strangers isn't?

Just total bull****..... people need to waken up and realise we're having the pish ripped right out of us by clueless scientists that are guessing and making it up (badly) as they go along? Now they're trying to make predictions of what might happen six or more months from now when they can't even see what's happening now - and our gullible government are listening to them. What the **** is going on in this country? Why do people accept this nonsense?

Seriously thank ****.

I honestly think folk have went mad.

I'll top your tale.

I play golf at a course in Fife, cause I'm not from Fife I can only play in a two and with no one from Fife.......Fife folk can play in a four.

Now that means you can travel from north queensferry and play in a 4 at a course 4 miles from Dundee but if you are from Dundee only in a two.........Dundee has a lower "infection rate" than Fife.🤣

Also if you are from Fife you can play "organised" golf....ie a club medal....but if you are from Dundee you can't because there's a risk....a risk of what I'm no sure.

And what worries me is folk take this guff completely seriously.

Deeranged
22-03-2021, 03:27 PM
Seriously thank ****.

I honestly think folk have went mad.

I'll top your tale.

I play golf at a course in Fife, cause I'm not from Fife I can only play in a two and with no one from Fife.......Fife folk can play in a four.

Now that means you can travel from north queensferry and play in a 4 at a course 4 miles from Dundee but if you are from Dundee only in a two.........Dundee has a lower "infection rate" than Fife.��

Also if you are from Fife you can play "organised" golf....ie a club medal....but if you are from Dundee you can't because there's a risk....a risk of what I'm no sure.

And what worries me is folk take this guff completely seriously.

I'm shaking my head as I type this.

Still, they're keeping us all safe I suppose; less chance of being hit by a 1B if you're in your garden getting pished with the wife and two people from another household - but just don't let either yours or their grown up children that are still living with you join in as that would be terribly, terribly dangerous and you'd all die.

Taintedice
22-03-2021, 03:54 PM
So we'll just ignore what this thread is about and why there are restrictions in place and go on some epic rants about hill walking and golfing in fife, phukk me, pass the tinfoil

BCram
22-03-2021, 04:10 PM
So we'll just ignore what this thread is about and why there are restrictions in place and go on some epic rants about hill walking and golfing in fife, phukk me, pass the tinfoil

Taintedice, does it not make you smile, even just a little, to read about the torture that Deeranged and Rross have endured through lockdown. FWIW I think the tier system is an absolute nightmare and probably the most divisive policy within all the policies thought up to fix covid. You should be able to travel throughout the district councils that touch borders.

Returnofrros
22-03-2021, 04:20 PM
Taintedice, does it not make you smile, even just a little, to read about the torture that Deeranged and Rross have endured through lockdown. FWIW I think the tier system is an absolute nightmare and probably the most divisive policy within all the policies thought up to fix covid. You should be able to travel throughout the district councils that touch borders.

B cram apart from going to the football (not a great miss) and going for a pint a couple of times a month my life hasn't changed much......but society is changing......and I've been banging on aboot it since the early days on dab mad........if folk think the powers that be are gonna let up on this they are wrong........people seem to like getting told what they can and cannot do.

The goalposts are constantly moved yet people still seem to think they ain't being manipulated.

I'm glad Islay and Deeranged travel, I do the same almost daily, shop without a face cloth and see who I want......if others want to keep up this stupid charade that's there perogative.....but one life.....I'm still living it.😁

BCram
22-03-2021, 04:21 PM
It is obvious that Dundee suffers because of the small physical space it occupies. I think the example given of how a golf club can treat its members differently must be an actionable policy and you should consider an appeal to the R&A naming the club and asking for justice, failure to receive a response from the R&A within 5 working days will result in strongly worded letter to both the Dundee Courier and The Dundee Evening Telegraph, and it that does not work a Tweet to George Galloway that well known supporter of the rights of the ordinary person.

Returnofrros
22-03-2021, 04:30 PM
It is obvious that Dundee suffers because of the small physical space it occupies. I think the example given of how a golf club can treat its members differently must be an actionable policy and you should consider an appeal to the R&A naming the club and asking for justice, failure to receive a response from the R&A within 5 working days will result in strongly worded letter to both the Dundee Courier and The Dundee Evening Telegraph, and it that does not work a Tweet to George Galloway that well known supporter of the rights of the ordinary person.

Lol Bcram......you ain't been paying attention.

BCram
22-03-2021, 04:37 PM
B cram apart from going to the football (not a great miss) and going for a pint a couple of times a month my life hasn't changed much......but society is changing......and I've been banging on aboot it since the early days on dab mad........if folk think the powers that be are gonna let up on this they are wrong........people seem to like getting told what they can and cannot do.

The goalposts are constantly moved yet people still seem to think they ain't being manipulated.

I'm glad Islay and Deeranged travel, I do the same almost daily, shop without a face cloth and see who I want......if others want to keep up this stupid charade that's there perogative.....but one life.....I'm still living it.��

Rross, I hear you. I just think that vocal and even direct action to make the point which as you say, you have been banging on about since the early days, is counter-productive.

Look at what happened in Bristol, look at the initial reaction to the vigil for the lady who was killed by the policeman. These protests were high-jacked by people who would 100% agree with your arguments but IMO fundamentally disagree with your philosophy on life. They want anarchy, revolution and disruption. They want your freedom and ability to live your life completely destroyed. That's OTT, but the point I am trying to make is that your protests, against the way the covid virus is being treated, are fuel for for a much more troublesome undercurrent of people who want change, political change delivered without any democratic principle.
We can vote people out of power and that seems to me to be very important.

Returnofrros
22-03-2021, 04:51 PM
Rross, I hear you. I just think that vocal and even direct action to make the point which as you say, you have been banging on about since the early days, is counter-productive.

Look at what happened in Bristol, look at the initial reaction to the vigil for the lady who was killed by the policeman. These protests were high-jacked by people who would 100% agree with your arguments but IMO fundamentally disagree with your philosophy on life. They want anarchy, revolution and disruption. They want your freedom and ability to live your life completely destroyed. That's OTT, but the point I am trying to make is that your protests, against the way the covid virus is being treated, are fuel for for a much more troublesome undercurrent of people who want change, political change delivered without any democratic principle.
We can vote people out of power and that seems to me to be very important.

I'll keep this short.

*******s

Deeranged
22-03-2021, 05:00 PM
If a poster has you 'on ignore' how can they know what you're writing about?

Or do they just need to be loved?

BCram
22-03-2021, 05:10 PM
I'll keep this short.

*******s

I must have miss spoken!

Taintedice
22-03-2021, 05:17 PM
Taintedice, does it not make you smile, even just a little, to read about the torture that Deeranged and Rross have endured through lockdown. FWIW I think the tier system is an absolute nightmare and probably the most divisive policy within all the policies thought up to fix covid. You should be able to travel throughout the district councils that touch borders.I am having a good chuckle at the thought of deeranged being unable to enjoy his hill-walking because of all the rage he has inside him at bad 1B bus drivers, yes. I thought the flyer from the SNP about postal voting was bad enough, now this!!! The tier system was divisive in terms of people not allowed to travel into lower tiers just a few hundred yards down the road but you need to have some control. From April 26, all of Scotland is in Tier 3, then it's Tier 2 on May 17. No-one will tolerate any reversal of that because Rangers fans or students or whoever wants to party.

Taintedice
22-03-2021, 05:24 PM
Is being a right-wing anarchist worse than being a left-wing anarchist :D

Returnofrros
22-03-2021, 05:36 PM
I must have miss spoken!

No....it's what you mistakingly believe.

A concientious objector......it's ok.

BCram
22-03-2021, 05:44 PM
No....it's what you mistakingly believe.

A concientious objector......it's ok.

Now that's a good desciption, kind of like yourself! See I knew agreed with me!

Returnofrros
22-03-2021, 06:05 PM
Now that's a good desciption, kind of like yourself! See I knew agreed with me!

It is a good description but we don't agree Bcram.

I only see what you post on here it's hard to judge the rest of what you do or think but I'm so dissappointed in people I know personally who are frightened not to dissent or just go along with things for a perceived easier life.

We live in a corrupt wee country I'm afraid and I don't think decent folk like yourself will fully realise it (i think you have doubts) till it's too far gone ..possibly is already.

BCram
22-03-2021, 06:13 PM
Nicola is free. Didn't do anything to break the ministerial code.

Returnofrros
22-03-2021, 06:16 PM
Nicola is free. Didn't do anything to break the ministerial code.

😂😂😂

BCram
22-03-2021, 06:42 PM
I know, what a joke.

Taintedice
22-03-2021, 07:27 PM
The Brits are screaming, "why was it an Irish QC who cleared nippy, they hate us" XD

BCram
22-03-2021, 08:29 PM
He was appointed as an independent advisor to the*Scottish Government*on the ministerial code in 2013 by*Alex Salmond*and was reappointed by*Scottish First Minister*Nicola Sturgeon*in 2015.[3]*He was also appointed to the same role by the*Welsh Government.[4]*In 2017, he concluded that*Welsh First Minister*Carwyn Jones*did not mislead the*Welsh Assembly*over what he knew about bullying allegations at the top level of government.[5]*Hamilton also conducted an investigation into whether Sturgeon had breached the Scottish ministerial code during the Scottish Government's investigation into ***ual harassment complaints made against Salmond.[6]*This was paused in 2019 and resumed in August 2020.[7]*On 23 March 2021, his report was published, concluding that Sturgeon did not breach the ministerial code.
Completely irrelevant as far as I am concerned. The real worry, for me, is the behaviour of her government. I think this is a good result for those who think there is something wrong with our democracy. If Nicola had been found guilty and resigned it might have defle Ted attention from the way that the SNP government has behaved.

Hopeful that Salmond will now put his considerable ability towards continuing his battle. This decision makes things even worse for hi IMOm and I would be surprised if he said sorry etc.

Taintedice
22-03-2021, 08:49 PM
Latest poll out today shows 52% for indy, that breaks rros's sequence of 4575 polls in a row showing Scots wanting 'unity', bad day for the opposition who let's not forget are part of a government who break the ministerial code on a daily basis by constantly lying. Get rid of the SNP by all means, but don't offer the tories up in exchange.

BCram
22-03-2021, 09:27 PM
Latest poll out today shows 52% for indy, that breaks rros's sequence of 4575 polls in a row showing Scots wanting 'unity', bad day for the opposition who let's not forget are part of a government who break the ministerial code on a daily basis by constantly lying. Get rid of the SNP by all means, but don't offer the tories up in exchange.

Sorry Taintedice but you have got this completely mixed up. The SNP and the Greens are the government in Scotland. It is the SNP who have done everything they could to frustrate the Salmond Inquiry. It was only the threats of votes of no confidence which produced any movement at all. I would not dream of suggesting any party as an alternative. That’s for the people of Scotland to decide. My advice would be to avoid giving the SNP an overall majority at this time. There is a clear difficulty with the way our parliament has been organised. Read any non SNP thinker and the message is consistent - there is something wrong that the law is led by a member of the government. I also don't think the economic situation is favourable. These are my problems, but I think if anyone wants to change my mind they should be able to persuade me.

Taintedice
23-03-2021, 11:00 AM
The opposition leader in Scotland, if you can call them that, is Douglas Ross, who is an MP, his party are the UK government and break the ministerial code quite often. Quite a lot of people are recognising the hypocrisy there and not all are SNP supporters. The Holyrood inquiry was always going to be party political, the Hamilton inquiry was not.

Returnofrros
23-03-2021, 12:31 PM
The opposition leader in Scotland, if you can call them that, is Douglas Ross, who is an MP, his party are the UK government and break the ministerial code quite often. Quite a lot of people are recognising the hypocrisy there and not all are SNP supporters. The Holyrood inquiry was always going to be party political, the Hamilton inquiry was not.

Mate finds his mate not guilty.

Resign.

BCram
23-03-2021, 12:45 PM

The point has been made time and time again that Scotland would be different. I think trying to compare the SNP performance which is poor IMO with the performance of the Conservative party in Westminster which IMO is also poor is just reinforcing the need for change through the ballot box. The expression two wrongs don't make a right seems to me to be a convincing case for change rather than a
justification for the behaviour of the SNP in Holyrood or the Conservatives in Westminster.

Taintedice
23-03-2021, 12:52 PM
Mate finds his mate not guilty.

Resign.Are you this bad a loser at golf as well :D

Returnofrros
23-03-2021, 12:56 PM
Are you this bad a loser at golf as well :D

Yet to find out

Taintedice
23-03-2021, 01:05 PM
The point has been made time and time again that Scotland would be different. I think trying to compare the SNP performance which is poor IMO with the performance of the Conservative party in Westminster which IMO is also poor is just reinforcing the need for change through the ballot box. The expression two wrongs don't make a right seems to me to be a convincing case for change rather than a
justification for the behaviour of the SNP in Holyrood or the Conservatives in Westminster.Are you just going to ignore how the Scottish government is comprised of a civil service which is a branch of the UK setup and takes its direction from Whitehall. Do you think Leslie Evans would have been any more cooperative if there was currently a labour govt? If David Davis was right about anything, it is the lack of an independent Scottish civil service. Labour wanted to keep control of Holyrood from Westminster, though.

BCram
23-03-2021, 02:14 PM
Are you just going to ignore how the Scottish government is comprised of a civil service which is a branch of the UK setup and takes its direction from Whitehall. Do you think Leslie Evans would have been any more cooperative if there was currently a labour govt? If David Davis was right about anything, it is the lack of an independent Scottish civil service. Labour wanted to keep control of Holyrood from Westminster, though.

https://theferret.scot/fact-check-salmond-probe-leslie-evans-westminster/
I am not sure if this answers your point. It seems to me that the Scottish Civil servants are responsible to the Scottish government while being part of the UK system.

Taintedice
23-03-2021, 07:17 PM
If civil servants aren't carrying out government policy satisfactorily, then they will be responsible to the minister in charge. But a minister can't sack them, not directly, anyway. This is why the UK government paid out £400k to a civil servant abused by Patel, after he was forced to resign and then took the govt to court.

In this case, we're talking about a new procedure for investigating harassment complaints, retrospectively, which appears to have been brought in to stop Alex Salmond getting a toehold back in Holyrood. Leslie Evans regularly reports to her actual boss in Whitehall, Mark Sedwill. The Salmondistas will obviously join the dots there and say the conspiracy could have originated in Whitehall as Evans wouldn't have came up with it herself. And i'd agree with them.

islaydarkblue
23-03-2021, 09:15 PM

I assume that you are trying to have a ‘pop’ at me.
We travelled to Dundee on 12th December 2020 to have our annual eye check up at our optician in Dundee because there is no longer a permanent optician on Islay.
The previous one died in his early 60’s from a brain tumour. Yet another person on Islay to die from cancer.
Whilst in Dundee Nicola Sturgeon announced yet another lockdown which commenced at 00.01 on Boxing Day 2020 and we were stuck in Dundee. Eventually we travelled back to Islay as my wife had to get her Covid-19 vaccination which is permitted under the Scottish Government lockdown rules.
You should be more worried about people who have tested positive for the Covid-19 virus and did not self isolate for the recommended ten days.

islaydarkblue
23-03-2021, 09:17 PM
Tut, Tut and to think I used to stick up for you when your were chief executive of Dundee Football Club.

eric_sinclair
23-03-2021, 09:23 PM
We travelled to Dundee on 12th December 2020 to have our annual eye check up at our optician in Dundee because there is no longer a permanent optician on Islay.
The previous one died in his early 60’s from a brain tumour. Yet another person on Islay to die from cancer.
Whilst in Dundee Nicola Sturgeon announced yet another lockdown which commenced at 00.01 on Boxing Day 2020 and we were stuck in Dundee. Eventually we travelled back to Islay as my wife had to get her Covid-19 vaccination which is permitted under the Scottish Government lockdown rules.
You should be more worried about people who have tested positive for the Covid-19 virus and did not self isolate for the recommended ten days.

Dominic Cummings eat yer heart oot.

islaydarkblue
23-03-2021, 09:32 PM

I agree with everything you say. How sitting in a car and driving throughout Scotland can spread the virus is beyond me. Public gatherings are supposed to be banned throughout the U.K. yet 1,000 people can last Sunday have a protest march in Bristol. The civic leaders in Bristol who gave permission for this march should be jailed.

Taintedice
23-03-2021, 09:36 PM
I agree with everything you say. How sitting in a car and driving throughout Scotland can spread the virus is beyond me. He made it up ffs

thegen65
23-03-2021, 09:40 PM

Hope you and your wifes eyesight is all good Islay and that the Dundee optician done the business.

Saying that it must have been some length of appointment if you were still in Dundee on Boxing day given you had left Islay on Dec 12 2020.

Or was there a big queue?

islaydarkblue
23-03-2021, 09:48 PM
I am having a good chuckle at the thought of deeranged being unable to enjoy his hill-walking because of all the rage he has inside him at bad 1B bus drivers, yes. I thought the flyer from the SNP about postal voting was bad enough, now this!!! The tier system was divisive in terms of people not allowed to travel into lower tiers just a few hundred yards down the road but you need to have some control. From April 26, all of Scotland is in Tier 3, then it's Tier 2 on May 17. No-one will tolerate any reversal of that because Rangers fans or students or whoever wants to party.
I know that you will probably not agree with my post but here goes.
I think that it is crazy that people in Tier 3 can only have a soft drink with their meal but they can stand outside in the freezing cold drinking alcohol until 10.30pm.
The reason I was told in October 2020 by the Public Health Scotland doctor was that the increasing number of positive Covid-19 case at that time was caused by people standing too close together in public houses and people having drinking parties in the garden of their home. That must have been the passengers boozing in the bar of the Calmac ferries where they only have to stand one metre apart.
What a lot of rubbish. The number of positive Covid-19 cases spiralled out of control until the vaccination campaign got into gear in early February 2021.

islaydarkblue
23-03-2021, 09:54 PM
Sorry Taintedice but you have got this completely mixed up. The SNP and the Greens are the government in Scotland. It is the SNP who have done everything they could to frustrate the Salmond Inquiry. It was only the threats of votes of no confidence which produced any movement at all. I would not dream of suggesting any party as an alternative. That’s for the people of Scotland to decide. My advice would be to avoid giving the SNP an overall majority at this time. There is a clear difficulty with the way our parliament has been organised. Read any non SNP thinker and the message is consistent - there is something wrong that the law is led by a member of the government. I also don't think the economic situation is favourable. These are my problems, but I think if anyone wants to change my mind they should be able to persuade me.
In my opinion people should also avoid giving their second vote to the Greens as they will always vote in favour of SNP policies no matter how hopeless they are. Parties should only be permitted to put forward candidates for the list (second ) vote if the have also put forward candidates for every constituency seat throughout Scotland for the first vote on the ballot paper.

BCram
23-03-2021, 10:10 PM
In my opinion people should also avoid giving their second vote to the Greens as they will always vote in favour of SNP policies no matter how hopeless they are. Parties should only be permitted to put forward candidates for the list (second ) vote if the have also put forward candidates for every constituency seat throughout Scotland for the first vote on the ballot paper.

Sorry Islay disagree. Snp would never have got off the ground if that had been the rules, same with Greens. It is our voting system that helps small parties. I don't think anyone really wants to have a first past the post system in Scotland.

islaydarkblue
23-03-2021, 10:17 PM
He was appointed as an independent advisor to the*Scottish Government*on the ministerial code in 2013 by*Alex Salmond*and was reappointed by*Scottish First Minister*Nicola Sturgeon*in 2015.[3]*He was also appointed to the same role by the*Welsh Government.[4]*In 2017, he concluded that*Welsh First Minister*Carwyn Jones*did not mislead the*Welsh Assembly*over what he knew about bullying allegations at the top level of government.[5]*Hamilton also conducted an investigation into whether Sturgeon had breached the Scottish ministerial code during the Scottish Government's investigation into ***ual harassment complaints made against Salmond.[6]*This was paused in 2019 and resumed in August 2020.[7]*On 23 March 2021, his report was published, concluding that Sturgeon did not breach the ministerial code.
Completely irrelevant as far as I am concerned. The real worry, for me, is the behaviour of her government. I think this is a good result for those who think there is something wrong with our democracy. If Nicola had been found guilty and resigned it might have defle Ted attention from the way that the SNP government has behaved.

Hopeful that Salmond will now put his considerable ability towards continuing his battle. This decision makes things even worse for hi IMOm and I would be surprised if he said sorry etc.
Thank you for your very detailed information about James Hamilton QC which I knew nothing about. He is certainly not independent if he has been an independent adviser to the Scottish Government as far back as 2013. It would be interesting to know if Hamilton has also been on the payroll of the Scottish Government since 2013.
There is no chance of Salmond or any other SNP politicians saying sorry as the word ‘Sorry’ is not included in their vocabulary. I am still waiting for Michael Russell the SNP MSP for Argyll and Bute saying sorry to me for slagging me off by name in a letter to the Ileach newspaper in March 2014. When I sent him an email in January 2020 about me still waiting for him to apologise he said that we should draw a line under this. I told him that was still dining out on his letter to Ileach where he slagged me off for having the cheek to continually write anti independence letters to the Ileach and my reply to him by email.
Fortunately Michael Russell is stepping down and not standing for re-election as the MSP for the Argyll and Bute constituency. Thank goodness as he has been a disaster as an MSP and has done nothing for his constituency.

islaydarkblue
23-03-2021, 10:29 PM
Sorry Islay disagree. Snp would never have got off the ground if that had been the rules, same with Greens. It is our voting system that helps small parties. I don't think anyone really wants to have a first past the post system in Scotland.
The Greens currently hold the balance of power at Holyrood but they are effectively the SNP’s poodles as they vote with the SNP at every opportunity.
At the first Scottish Government elections in 1999 voters were encouraged to cast their second vote in favour of one of the ‘rag, tag and bobtail’ minor political parties to get a better debate and balance of government.
However this was a disaster and at the next elections all these minor parties failed to win a list seat.
In my opinion I would get rid of the list MSPs, reduce the number of constituencies to 65 and elect the two candidates from each constituency who finish in first and second place based on the number of votes they receive.
This would be first and second past the post.

Returnofrros
23-03-2021, 10:38 PM
The Greens currently hold the balance of power at Holyrood but they are effectively the SNP’s poodles as they vote with the SNP at every opportunity.
At the first Scottish Government elections in 1999 voters were encouraged to cast their second vote in favour of one of the ‘rag, tag and bobtail’ minor political parties to get a better debate and balance of government.
However this was a disaster and at the next elections all these minor parties failed to win a list seat.
In my opinion I would get rid of the list MSPs, reduce the number of constituencies to 65 and elect the two candidates from each constituency who finish in first and second place based on the number of votes they receive.
This would be first and second past the post.

How did the result have worked out last time under that system?

Returnofrros
23-03-2021, 10:39 PM
Wud

Taintedice
23-03-2021, 10:40 PM
Hope you and your wifes eyesight is all good Islay and that the Dundee optician done the business.

Saying that it must have been some length of appointment if you were still in Dundee on Boxing day given you had left Islay on Dec 12 2020.

Or was there a big queue?Imagine there being no optician between Dundee and Islay, bloody SNP XD

islaydarkblue
23-03-2021, 10:41 PM

Or was there a big queue?
We decided to remain in Dundee for Christmas and with no Calmac ferry sailings on Christmas Day we were stranded in Dundee as we could not travel out with the Dundee City boundary without an allowable excuse which we did not have at that time.

Taintedice
23-03-2021, 10:50 PM
I know that you will probably not agree with my post but here goes.
I think that it is crazy that people in Tier 3 can only have a soft drink with their meal but they can stand outside in the freezing cold drinking alcohol until 10.30pm.
The reason I was told in October 2020 by the Public Health Scotland doctor was that the increasing number of positive Covid-19 case at that time was caused by people standing too close together in public houses and people having drinking parties in the garden of their home. That must have been the passengers boozing in the bar of the Calmac ferries where they only have to stand one metre apart.
What a lot of rubbish. The number of positive Covid-19 cases spiralled out of control until the vaccination campaign got into gear in early February 2021.I completely agree, there you go. Pubs were pretty **** when they were open last year anyway, lucky to get a table and then took an age to get served.

Returnofrros
23-03-2021, 11:16 PM
We decided to remain in Dundee for Christmas and with no Calmac ferry sailings on Christmas Day we were stranded in Dundee as we could not travel out with the Dundee City boundary without an allowable excuse which we did not have at that time.

Just roll the window Doon and stick a finger in the air.

islaydarkblue
23-03-2021, 11:32 PM
How did the result have worked out last time under that system?

That system has never been used because it is too simple for the politicians to understand.

islaydarkblue
23-03-2021, 11:34 PM
I completely agree, there you go. Pubs were pretty **** when they were open last year anyway, lucky to get a table and then took an age to get served.
Hi Taintedice. I am totally shocked that you have posted that you completely agree with one of my posts. This will go down in history.

Taintedice
24-03-2021, 12:50 AM
I'm sure we'll see less and less posts about covid now the end is in sight, and lockdown is over forever in a couple of months :)

Returnofrros
24-03-2021, 08:16 AM
I'm sure we'll see less and less posts about covid now the end is in sight, and lockdown is over forever in a couple of months :)

You know that I know that you know I'm right.....that's the most pleasing thing.

Taintedice
24-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Depends which country you're talking about, most Scots will be vaccinated by winter so why would there be lockdowns here

jdfc
24-03-2021, 09:19 PM
Depends which country you're talking about, most Scots will be vaccinated by winter so why would there be lockdowns here

Not if the EU has anything to do with it, the same EU that you can’t wait to rejoin

Taintedice
24-03-2021, 10:19 PM
bozo the clown will sort out the vaccine issue, he sorted out brexit all on his own so he did XD

not sure what the EU has to do with all the vaccine doses being manufactured in the UK mind you

islaydarkblue
25-03-2021, 01:07 AM
bozo the clown will sort out the vaccine issue, he sorted out brexit all on his own so he did XD

not sure what the EU has to do with all the vaccine doses being manufactured in the UK mind you
It has been announced tonight (Wednesday) that the EU and the U.K. Government have come to an agreement over the distribution of the vaccines. At least Boris had the gumption to stand up to the EU bully boys.
An independent Scotland which was back in the EU would be at the bottom of the heap when it came to the distribution of the Covid-19 vaccine by Brussels.
Incidentally over a month ago it was reported that glass bottles that the Astra Zeneca vaccine comes in are made in Germany.

Taintedice
25-03-2021, 10:21 AM
Scotland is either allowed to join the EU after independence or it is not, you can't keep flipping position based on convenience. How are New Zealand getting on with their vaccination programme? 70,000 at a concert last week, they must have their whole population innoculated by now to have that happen. Or maybe their leaders weren't big fans of herd immunity like Johnson and NZ is covid free so vaccines aren't a big deal.

BCram
25-03-2021, 11:35 AM
Scotland is either allowed to join the EU after independence or it is not, you can't keep flipping position based on convenience. How are New Zealand getting on with their vaccination programme? 70,000 at a concert last week, they must have their whole population innoculated by now to have that happen. Or maybe their leaders weren't big fans of herd immunity like Johnson and NZ is covid free so vaccines aren't a big deal.

Thanks for the comment about NZ.The reason for the no covid population is because of the control on passengers coming into the country. It is having the same effect on tourism but that solving that problem is regarded as less important than keeping the country covid free. Home tourism can obviously work as a partial replacement and maybe that's the way ahead? Total control of air transport, current covid tests prior to getting on any plane, and off any plane with an app on your phone which must be kept on during your stay?

Taintedice
25-03-2021, 03:50 PM
NZ have had a pretty much faultless pandemic but the covid-deniers completely ignore them because they restrict freeedummmmmbbb and the libertarian mindset doesn't like that.

Returnofrros
25-03-2021, 04:20 PM
NZ have had a pretty much faultless pandemic but the covid-deniers completely ignore them because they restrict freeedummmmmbbb and the libertarian mindset doesn't like that.

Sweden hands down.❤

As every study has just about proved lockdown failed and continues to fail.....but lockdown 4 is in the post.🙄

BCram
25-03-2021, 04:46 PM

Agreed. Less than 5m people, land mass 10% bigger than the space that 66m who live in the UK occupy. borders still locked and compulsary 2week quarantine in proscribed accommodation. Been that way since they saw what was happening in Italy in Feb/March 2020. going to have to stay like that for ever more? tourist industry going to have to depend on staycations, no new money coming in from that previously important wealth generating activity. As a country it is not reasonable to compare their experience with the options available to Scotland or the UK, IMO.

Taintedice
25-03-2021, 05:07 PM
Sweden hands down.❤

As every study has just about proved lockdown failed and continues to fail.....but lockdown 4 is in the post.🙄Yes, Sweden with 13.5k deaths compared to NZ with 26 deaths, Sweden won bigley :confused:

Returnofrros
25-03-2021, 05:11 PM
Yes, Sweden with 13.5k deaths compared to NZ with 26 deaths, Sweden won bigley :confused:

Correct, knew you would come round.

Taintedice
25-03-2021, 05:14 PM
Agreed. Less than 5m people, land mass 10% bigger than the space that 66m who live in the UK occupy. borders still locked and compulsary 2week quarantine in proscribed accommodation. Been that way since they saw what was happening in Italy in Feb/March 2020. going to have to stay like that for ever more? tourist industry going to have to depend on staycations, no new money coming in from that previously important wealth generating activity. As a country it is not reasonable to compare their experience with the options available to Scotland or the UK, IMO.If Johnson had banned summer holidays last year likelihood is that the 2nd wave wouldn't have happened, not as severely as it did anyway. But he's only about his popularity rather than trying to be a serious politician like Ardern in NZ. 26 deaths compared to 126,000, the numbers don't lie.

Returnofrros
25-03-2021, 05:50 PM
If Johnson had banned summer holidays last year likelihood is that the 2nd wave wouldn't have happened, not as severely as it did anyway. But he's only about his popularity rather than trying to be a serious politician like Ardern in NZ. 26 deaths compared to 126,000, the numbers don't lie.

2nd wave, 3rd wave, 4th wave......seasonal virus.

We will all be in lockdoon every year cause this country can't find it's balls to say.....enough.

Don't value liberty, don't expect it.....politicians will take it.

islaydarkblue
25-03-2021, 10:40 PM
If Johnson had banned summer holidays last year likelihood is that the 2nd wave wouldn't have happened, not as severely as it did anyway. But he's only about his popularity rather than trying to be a serious politician like Ardern in NZ. 26 deaths compared to 126,000, the numbers don't lie.
I look forward to your explanation why several EU countries have recently entered another lockdown.
The Covid-19 virus like all the other viruses will just have to run its course.
I am sure that you will have previously been feeling ill and attended your GP who has told you that you have a virus and you will just have to let it run its course.

Taintedice
25-03-2021, 10:51 PM
Europe is in lockdown because the Kent variant is ripping through it. The Kent variant originated in Kent, in England. What's the relevance to the 2nd wave last September?

Taintedice
25-03-2021, 10:53 PM
2nd wave, 3rd wave, 4th wave......seasonal virus.

We will all be in lockdoon every year cause this country can't find it's balls to say.....enough.

Don't value liberty, don't expect it.....politicians will take it.It is a seasonal virus, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.

50,000 deaths in the second wave, that was real, it happened.

Returnofrros
25-03-2021, 11:00 PM
It is a seasonal virus, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.

50,000 deaths in the second wave, that was real, it happened.

Which was in winter, during which nae **** died of anything else.

Taintedice
25-03-2021, 11:22 PM
Cases started rising in September, that's not really winter. Excess deaths in August below the 5-year average from memory but the rise in cases was ignored till it was too late. Why ignore actual doctors in favour of conspiracy theorists?