PDA

View Full Version : Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss

jonnyt1
27-03-2021, 05:15 PM
Won’t get fooled again

laddo
27-03-2021, 05:20 PM
I approve. Humour and song lyrics are the best form of medicine at times like this

countygump
27-03-2021, 05:20 PM
*Power slideeeeeeeeee*

jackal2
27-03-2021, 05:22 PM
I have no idea how good or otherwise Burchnall will prove to be, but it will take a while before we can start judging that properly.

Today's result is much more a reflection of what was going wrong under Neal Ardley, throwing away points, or in this case a cup final against teams that we should easily dispatch. It is, unfortunately, the exclamation mark at the end of the sentence describing what was wrong before Burchnall arrived.

Warnocks Legends
27-03-2021, 05:32 PM
No doubt the rose tinted brigade will be polishing up their glasses as we speak. This marks an all time low in Notts County's history and that is saying something!!!

Stan Marshall
27-03-2021, 05:32 PM
It was a very ‘Ardleyesque’ performance to be fair. Messing around at the back, slow passing, little intensity.
Same old, same old!

the_anticlough
27-03-2021, 05:36 PM
No, this time it's completely different.
Now Doyle is being picked because he is 'a man'...
God knows what the others are, but you have to say there's a new criteria for selection now...

laddo
27-03-2021, 05:37 PM
No doubt the rose tinted brigade will be polishing up their glasses as we speak. This marks an all time low in Notts County's history and that is saying something!!!

God only knows how sharp those pitchforks are by now, I hear some have upgraded to maces and flails!!! The players better lay low for a while.

the_anticlough
27-03-2021, 05:38 PM
Sorry everyone, and sorry also to Doyle (being picked can never be his fault), but this is like having one of those itches, or a stone in the shoe now. It'll drive you crazy until it's fixed!

Warnocks Legends
27-03-2021, 05:39 PM

Laddo you are not seriously going to come out and defend that absolutely disgraceful display??

Killerkline
27-03-2021, 05:44 PM
Laddo you are not seriously going to come out and defend that absolutely disgraceful display??

The performance can’t be defended, simply shocking.

But blaming the new man is wrong.

Warnocks Legends
27-03-2021, 05:48 PM

Not blaming the new man, blaming that pathetic bunch of players out fought out smarted, out played by Hornchurch. Now is where Burchnall must make changes. if half of that team plays on Tuesday night I will be disgusted and if Reeves ever pulls on a Notts shirt again I will be shocked.

Killerkline
27-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Not blaming the new man, blaming that pathetic bunch of players out fought out smarted, out played by Hornchurch. Now is where Burchnall must make changes. if half of that team plays on Tuesday night I will be disgusted and if Reeves ever pulls on a Notts shirt again I will be shocked.

Wouldn’t disagree with most of that. To make changes, you need replacements. Fo we have?

Warnocks Legends
27-03-2021, 05:55 PM

Tricky but for me Rodriguez stays on, reeves doesn't play, Rawlinson is rested, slocombe is rested, the new lad from Bradford starts up front along with Sam and Mansfield lad going for a fast attacking front line, backed up with a free flowing midfield.

laddo
27-03-2021, 05:57 PM

I'm not defending anything!!! Like the side today boom boom!

The angrymob are going to have to turn their attention and Pitchforks firmly in the direction of the players and rightly so. They've got away with far too little criticism this season, as the manager was the No1 target naturally . That target has now gone, new boss picks a very strong side and they then go and put that sort of performance in. What a way to not impress straight out the gate.

Disgraceful and embarrassing are the right words to use.

Better to laugh than cry this evening, let's call it dark humour.

I'm already thinking of what takeaway to have.

the_anticlough
27-03-2021, 05:58 PM
It's true, we have a depth problem in that key position

Killerkline
27-03-2021, 06:00 PM
Tricky but for me Rodriguez stays on, reeves doesn't play, Rawlinson is rested, slocombe is rested, the new lad from Bradford starts up front along with Sam and Mansfield lad going for a fast attacking front line, backed up with a free flowing midfield.

Who would you replace Reeves with? I don’t disagree with you.

Rawlinson was very flat today. Again, I agree with you, he needs a rest. If Lacey isn’t fit?

Borg elite
27-03-2021, 06:00 PM
Forgive me for asking but surely being out smarted equals tactics and out fought equals motivation both of which are down to the manager. I don't want to knock the lad because I think the players are the biggest problem here, any of us would have given blood for Notts but players just aren't like that anymore.

the_anticlough
27-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Maybe a 4-2-3-1

.....Reeves Barnett
Boldwijn Rodrigues Sam

Or Wolfe in

Scratching around admittedly, but you have to look for something

jacobncfc
27-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Forgive me for asking but surely being out smarted equals tactics and out fought equals motivation both of which are down to the manager. I don't want to knock the lad because I think the players are the biggest problem here, any of us would have given blood for Notts but players just aren't like that anymore.

I think we’re a bit stumped because we’ve ended up with a squad made up largely of old, slow players in a league that rewards pace, power and energy above all else. Doesn’t appear to matter who it is, from a half-furloughed King’s Lynn to AFC Hornchurch, any team with a few legs in midfield which presses us is capable of causing chaos.

It’s no wonder the owners want even more control of recruitment tbh.

countygump
27-03-2021, 06:07 PM
I'm not defending anything!!! Like the side today boom boom!

The angrymob are going to have to turn their attention and Pitchforks firmly in the direction of the players and rightly so. They've got away with far too little criticism this season, as the manager was the No1 target naturally . That target has now gone, new boss picks a very strong side and they then go and put that sort of performance in. What a way to not impress straight out the gate.

Disgraceful and embarrassing are the right words to use.

Better to laugh than cry this evening, let's call it dark humour.

I'm already thinking of what takeaway to have.

The manager may have gone, Laddo but the players he chose to bring to the club certainly haven't.

jacobncfc
27-03-2021, 06:11 PM
I also think that blaming the players is essentially pointless. I have my issues with Doyle, O’Brien and Reeves, but it’s not a lack of effort that’s stopping them from running faster and being more physical, they’re just not capable of it. Problem is that, at some point, we decided that was an appropriate midfield for non-league football.

BigFatPie
27-03-2021, 06:14 PM
On the bright side, we’ve got to be the first ever team to lose two semi finals in the same competition in the same season.

HISTORY MAKERS!

upthemaggies
27-03-2021, 06:22 PM
On the bright side, we’ve got to be the first ever team to lose two semi finals in the same competition in the same season.

HISTORY MAKERS!

Technically, today was a draw.
Both Warnock and Allardyce began with home draws, as did Sirrel on his return for the 2nd coming.

Killerkline
27-03-2021, 06:26 PM
Both Warnock and Allardyce began with home draws, as did Sirrel on his return for the 2nd coming.

Like it! Positive mind set

Borg elite
27-03-2021, 06:27 PM
I think part of the problem is where we all like to see ourselves. A lot of our fans seem to think because of our history and our ability to draw a crowd on occasions, plus our fantastic ground and ambitious owners we deserve to be playing at a higher level,unfortunately it's not true, we are where we deserve to be,kings Lynn and Sutton are our peers not our inferiors. The players who pull on the shirt need to understand this, Reality checks all round and perhaps we can pull our socks up and start writing some new stories.

Elite_Pie
27-03-2021, 06:30 PM
I also think that blaming the players is essentially pointless. I have my issues with Doyle, O’Brien and Reeves, but it’s not a lack of effort that’s stopping them from running faster and being more physical, they’re just not capable of it. Problem is that, at some point, we decided that was an appropriate midfield for non-league football.

Disagree. Blaming the players is exactly what I would do. I wouldn't blame Ardley for signing them, I wouldn't blame Burchnall after a few days. I would put 100% of the blame on the players. They faced inferior opposition, but only inferior in terms of ability. In terms of fight, spirit and desire they were streets ahead of our spineless bunch.

Observerpie
27-03-2021, 06:32 PM
Disagree. Blaming the players is exactly what I would do. I wouldn't blame Ardley for signing them, I wouldn't blame Burchnall after a few days. I would put 100% of the blame on the players. They faced inferior opposition, but only inferior in terms of ability. In terms of fight, spirit and desire they were streets ahead of our spineless bunch.

You wouldn't want them with you in the trenches, bottle jobs.

uysapie
27-03-2021, 06:51 PM

Makes me wonder if they thougth they only had to turn up for an easy game?

laddo
27-03-2021, 06:53 PM
The manager may have gone, Laddo but the players he chose to bring to the club certainly haven't.

Obviously but as professional footballers , you get a new boss. 1st game individually you go out to impress the hell out of him to ensure you are chosen for his 2nd game in charge. It's your livelihood , future earnings, career so important first step/game.

Has nothing to do with anyone else. It's 100% on the players. As I said earlier they have escaped the correct apportionment of blame all season. They now have nowhere to hide since the change in manager.

SwalePie
27-03-2021, 07:02 PM

Nicely dug out UTM, I'll take that!

SwalePie
27-03-2021, 07:03 PM

Nailed.

SmiffyPie
27-03-2021, 08:14 PM
It's absolutely ludicrous criticising the manager for that garbage. After having only 10 minutes behind the bike shed with them what did you expect? He doesn't know this bunch of .... players well enough, he can only possibly use the previous managers first team squad as a benchmark. The time to start making judgements (knee-jerk or calculated) is after seeing his next three or four teams. As mentioned above there is no REAL desire in a majority of players and there certainly isn't a "I'II run for him 'cos we is Notts" attitude anywhere in the team.

Old_pie
27-03-2021, 08:26 PM

Were they draws against teams from a lower league?

Killerkline
27-03-2021, 08:35 PM
Were they draws against teams from a lower league?

Someone always as to go and spoil it!

queenslandpie
27-03-2021, 08:46 PM
The thing with all this football radar stuff is that you might find players who on paper are good enough but you don't really know much about their personality only their potential ability. It takes two to tango so if we are are really not giving the manager a lot of control over signings as has been muted especially he is now just a coach that's a bit concerning. Even more concerning is that if it doesn't work ( and so far it hasn't) the owners would probably be asking themselves why they are bothering...... Just for a bit of balance on previous posts Kevin Nolan also started with a draw. Look how that ended up!

OP67
27-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Jeeeeeeeez he's had 45 minutes on the training ground with them!

The players are old enough and ugly enough to have won that. Ardley brought them in do they really need him to hold their hands aswell? They need to take responsibility and ask themselves if they're really cut out to a "professional" footballer!!

optipez
27-03-2021, 08:49 PM

Prepare to be shocked.

Elite_Pie
27-03-2021, 09:32 PM
The thing with all this football radar stuff is that you might find players who on paper are good enough but you don't really know much about their personality only their potential ability.

That's my big worry. I can see a lot of positives with a stats driven approach, but how do you measure guts, bottle and desire? I doubt any of the Hornchurch players will be of interest to Football Radar, but the only reason that they beat us today was because they were streets ahead of us in terms of guts, bottle and desire.

CheltenhamPie
27-03-2021, 09:41 PM
That's my big worry. I can see a lot of positives with a stats driven approach, but how do you measure guts, bottle and desire? I doubt any of the Hornchurch players will be of interest to Football Radar, but the only reason that they beat us today was because they were streets ahead of us in terms of guts, bottle and desire.

Of all the posts you have made over the years Elite, this may well be the truest one you have ever posted. How sad is it, to read such a statement, and even sadder to agree with you. Our players were dreadful, and not worthy of the shirt.

Elite_Pie
27-03-2021, 09:48 PM
Of all the posts you have made over the years Elite, this may well be the truest one you have ever posted. How sad is it, to read such a statement, and even sadder to agree with you. Our players were dreadful, and not worthy of the shirt.

I understand your pain Cheltenham.

A defeat like this seems as bad as it gets, but having to agree with me makes it even worse!

legs77
27-03-2021, 09:53 PM
I think premier league teams use data and im guessing they are looking at everything not just ability.

I think though you still need to do the old school watching players with your eyes as well and connections in the game helps.

Todays result is awful but im relaxed all that matters is getting out of this league the season starts now.

lunaspie
27-03-2021, 10:06 PM
Won’t get fooled again

Call me off my rocker,but I want jonnyt1 banned - having a word with the Mods.

jacobncfc
27-03-2021, 10:10 PM

You can’t, but you can’t measure that anyway. You have to rely on the manager’s instinct.

One thing I would say is that we could perhaps do with a few more players for whom being at Notts County is a big thing and a journey on their career upwards, rather than their latest step down.

One of our advantages at this level should be that we’re an attractive proposition for some of the better players in our league, but I’m not sure we signed a single player from another National League club under Ardley. It’s mostly people from higher leagues with the odd young lad from lower down thrown in, plus the two obvious Football Radar signings in Sam and Rodrigues.

jonnyt1
27-03-2021, 10:17 PM
The problem with the stats based approach is that garbage in equals garbage out. So far I’m not impressed apart from Roberts.

Old_pie
27-03-2021, 10:31 PM
Someone always as to go and spoil it!

Bl**dy urchins - always leaving a mess in their trail.

nw6pie
27-03-2021, 10:38 PM
This week is going to tell us an awful lot about how this season is going to go - Aldershot and Wrexham at home. Win on Tuesday and we’ll go fourth, just 2 points behind Torquay with 2 games in hand. Then a really tough ask against Wrexham on Friday lunchtime, as they don’t have a midweek fixture.

We really do have a great chance of making the top three this season, but I just don’t see these players having the guts and desire to do it.

We’re going to have to give IB time, because he’s not going to achieve anything overnight with his coaching methods - and especially without some pace and desire in midfield.

MAD_MAGPIE
27-03-2021, 11:04 PM
We’re going to have to give IB time, because he’s not going to achieve anything overnight with his coaching methods - and especially without some pace and desire in midfield.

Absolutely. There is / was the real prospect that things could get worse before getting better. I'm hoping after today it was the low point but thought that was the case against Kings Lynn.

The squad is the squad and the new manager has the same pool of players to chose from as the previous manager. So it's somewhat a given that players who played under Ardley will play under Burchnall and as such will produce similar performances at this stage. It doesn't sound like it's going to be like when Ardley came in and nearly a new team of players are going to be brought in over the next month.

That's why I'm expecting nothing now from this season and any sucess whether that be a play-off finish or promotion will be a bonus. There might be some subtle changes between now and the end of the season but with little time on the training ground it's going to be difficult to implement major changes.

It's going to take time and summer of recruitment at least to address some of the problems in this squad.

However the one positive from today is that for the first 20-25 min we dominated in possession, passed the ball well, were on the front foot and looked attack minded than we have done of late. We managed the game and were professional with the ball. But that's as far as it went. Translating that into a 90 minute performance is going to be the hardest part, and so is keeping the defence tight as that seems to have fell by the wayside in some recent games including today.

One thing is for sure this season has been one where we have certainly been consistent at being inconsistent, not only from game to game, but even during games.

uysapie
27-03-2021, 11:50 PM
Absolutely. There is / was the real prospect that things could get worse before getting better. I'm hoping after today it was the low point but thought that was the case against Kings Lynn.

The squad is the squad and the new manager has the same pool of players to chose from as the previous manager. So it's somewhat a given that players who played under Ardley will play under Burchnall and as such will produce similar performances at this stage. It doesn't sound like it's going to be like when Ardley came in and nearly a new team of players are going to be brought in over the next month.

That's why I'm expecting nothing now from this season and any sucess whether that be a play-off finish or promotion will be a bonus. There might be some subtle changes between now and the end of the season but with little time on the training ground it's going to be difficult to implement major changes.

It's going to take time and summer of recruitment at least to address some of the problems in this squad.

However the one positive from today is that for the first 20-25 min we dominated in possession, passed the ball well, were on the front foot and looked attack minded than we have done of late. We managed the game and were professional with the ball. But that's as far as it went. Translating that into a 90 minute performance is going to be the hardest part, and so is keeping the defence tight as that seems to have fell by the wayside in some recent games including today.

One thing is for sure this season has been one where we have certainly been consistent at being inconsistent, not only from game to game, but even during games.

There doesn't appear to be any real hunger in the squad, seems like they are going through the motions half of the time.

crazyfists
28-03-2021, 06:48 AM
**** the players and people like Doyle, took us out the league, bottled last seasons playoff final, bottled again this season and yesterday and these are meant to be big men aren't they. ****ing disgusting yesterday was, apart from maybe 5 or 6 the rest can fooooooooook off for players with some hunger, desire and pride to represent our club.

meoldlaner
28-03-2021, 07:18 AM
**** the players and people like Doyle, took us out the league, bottled last seasons playoff final, bottled again this season and yesterday and these are meant to be big men aren't they. ****ing disgusting yesterday was, apart from maybe 5 or 6 the rest can fooooooooook off for players with some hunger, desire and pride to represent our club.

So eloquently put.
I agree with all of that.
Another $hit weekend, thanks Notts!

laddo
28-03-2021, 09:22 AM
This game and abject display appears to be the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of supporters.

Combination of losing to a side of Hornchurch's level, missed final and trip to Wembley and no Ardley to blame has put nearly ALL the blame onto the players and rightly so.

Elite_Pie
28-03-2021, 09:52 AM
Interesting thread title, because that's exactly what it looked like yesterday. That was a very Ardley-esque performance, you wouldn't know anything had changed. Burchnall talks a lot about players being brave, but the players wearing black and white were the exact opposite. After the first 20 minutes they played like they were scared - scared of playing at home against a bunch of part-timers two levels below FFS! It seems that showing the opposition too much respect is deeply ingrained into this squad, and will take some shifting.

crazyfists
28-03-2021, 10:08 AM

So eloquently put.
I agree with all of that.
Another $hit weekend, thanks Notts!

Ha ha sorry mate but yesterday just summed up the last few years for me. Hornchurch at home to get to Wembley and a new manager to impress, shocking. I think he's going to be given a free hand to build his own squad cause these lot are taking the piss.

durhampie
28-03-2021, 10:18 AM
It may not be this week, but i would suspect there will be some activity in the transfere market very soon. We cannot blame IB for this shambles, this was Ardleys team and the display today was no different to previous games.
Im sure IB is no fool, and would suspect that in his short time here he as already sussed out where the problems lie.

eastwoodmagpie
28-03-2021, 10:32 AM
It may not be this week, but i would suspect there will be some activity in the transfere market very soon. We cannot blame IB for this shambles, this was Ardleys team and the display today was no different to previous games.
Im sure IB is no fool, and would suspect that in his short time here he as already sussed out where the problems lie.

Hopefully IB will soon see that playing Doyle and Reeves together really limits us in midfield.

LaxtonLad
30-03-2021, 06:57 AM
I'm thinking IB may have told the players to go out and play your usual game so as he see the problems for himself - now he's seen it for himself. Unfortunately in his post match interview he came across as rather unconcerned about the result, possibly because he's not used to being interviewed as a manager or he wasn't aware of the depth of feeling of frustration among the fans. He'd better get used to heavy artillery firing at him if he can't find an immediate solution to the sieve that passes for our midfield nowadays, get used to that or get us moving.

Old_pie
30-03-2021, 07:45 AM
I'm thinking IB may have told the players to go out and play your usual game so as he see the problems for himself - now he's seen it for himself.

He could just have come on here and asked us and booked a place to Wembley.

Needs to learn that the hashtag is #COYP otherwise he'll get nowhere. Must be busy though 'cause he's not updated his tw@tter profile.

Hope tonight minus Doyle will show some interesting stats including a good win (I did say hope).

laddo
30-03-2021, 07:46 AM
Heavy artillery??!! That's a big upgrade from large pointy stick.

Can we give him at least a few months before the internet incoming fire?

BanjoPie
30-03-2021, 08:23 AM
I have watched this thread with interest and not commented until now, Can some of you please re-read your posts - look at what you have said and then look in a mirror, you will either see a ‘sad person’ or a ‘mad person’, personally, I’m a ‘glad person’ because we have a new start, Ardley has gone, we have a new exciting head coach - the future looks bright, you just cannot forecast doom and gloom from just one game of football where we were kicked off the park and bullied by a bunch of thugs. Give the new guy some time, get behind the team and the players who despite many harsh words on this thread do care and want to succeed, its just the whole club has fallen in to an abyss but now hope of rescue is on the horizon - we have a new Messiah, let all get behind him and move this great club on the better things - this is the start of a new era for Notts and for us - don’t just look at it with a face like your are chewing a lemon, grasp it with both hands - we shall rise again - AMEN

Elite_Pie
30-03-2021, 08:33 AM
you just cannot forecast doom and gloom from just one game of football where we were kicked off the park and bullied by a bunch of thugs.

After reading that bit, it's difficult to give the rest of your post any respect.

SwalePie
30-03-2021, 09:49 AM
After reading that bit, it's difficult to give the rest of your post any respect.

He has a point though. Surely we must respect the point. Oh no! Now look what I've typed!

BanjoPie
30-03-2021, 10:22 AM
:p