PDA

View Full Version : The Wolfe Man

queenslandpie
31-03-2021, 10:15 AM
Mr Birchnall was a bit 'weird' in his interview when asked about Matty Wolfe. he said he was "away" then seemed to hesitate and said he had in injury. He certainly didn't elaborate on the injury on our most under used player this season. Seemed to be making it up to me. Anyone know what is really going on seeming as we had almost no midfielders and he has seemingly disappeared?

Mapperleypie
31-03-2021, 10:16 AM
Mr Birchnall was a bit 'weird' in his interview when asked about Matty Wolfe. he said he was "away" then seemed to hesitate and said he had in injury. He certainly didn't elaborate on the injury on our most under used player this season. Seemed to be making it up to me. Anyone know what is really going on seeming as we had almost no midfielders and he has seemingly disappeared?

It's been a strange one all season given the reputation he arrived with. Like there is something else happening that is being kept under wraps.

queenslandpie
31-03-2021, 10:18 AM
It's been a strange one all season given the reputation he arrived with. Like there is something else happening that is being kept under wraps.

I agree. Could be a family issue so fair enough. Then we all of a sudden sign a midfielder....

St Kitts Magpie
31-03-2021, 01:01 PM

Agreed. A young player from a championship side who has managed to start 1 league match in all the time he has been with us for various reasons: unavailable , away , injured etc...Burchnall did seem a bit evasive last night and now we have signed the new player Griffiths. All seems very odd..

countygump
31-03-2021, 01:03 PM
Agreed. A young player from a championship side who has managed to start 1 league match in all the time he has been with us for various reasons: unavailable , away , injured etc...Burchnall did seem a bit evasive last night and now we have signed the new player Griffiths. All seems very odd..

Is it poss his parent club have recalled him as he's get approx zero time on the pitch?

St Kitts Magpie
31-03-2021, 01:06 PM
Is it poss his parent club have recalled him as he's get approx zero time on the pitch?

They may as well do based on what has happened so far..Shame really..

laddo
31-03-2021, 01:14 PM
Everything and anything is possible.

All we know is he's not available for selection and hasn't been for most of the season. That's what matters most, the rest should probably remain private.

Oldstripy
31-03-2021, 01:21 PM
Scoop says he has had a scan and the club are waiting for the results.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/wolfe-notts-county-barnsley-absence-5249531

nw6pie
31-03-2021, 01:54 PM
Wait a minute - the Wolfe man keeps disappearing for long periods of time? Has anyone checked the lunar cycle?

He's been the perfect example of what you don't want from a loan signing - zero impact. What a waste of his time and our resources.

Similarly, why have we still got Tylor Golden and Kenton Richardson if neither are fit, especially given how out of form DKE is right now?

In case anyone attending Thursday's press conference is reading this, these are the players we would like updates on:

Richard Brindley
Alex Lacey
Tylor Golden
Kenton Richardson
Matty Wolfe
Damien McCrory
Lewis Knight
Michael Doyle

and, of course...

Cal Roberts

the_anticlough
01-04-2021, 05:01 AM
We saw one outing (was it a start?) many months ago and he looked out of his depth

Is it possible Barnsley see something in him, think he'll develop later on, and are happy for him just to spend time around a professional squad, closer to the action than he would be at Barnsley? That doesn't change that it's been a waste of time for us.

Carlton_Pie
01-04-2021, 06:48 PM

I'd heard a rumor that a number of players had been banned from training by NA?

Would explain the "away" quote...

countygump
01-04-2021, 07:14 PM

Why would he 'ban' players from training If he didn't want to pick them for the 1st team then don't, but ban them? Unless they were disruptive during the actual training sessions???

matt_magpie
01-04-2021, 07:16 PM
He’s gone back to Barnsley because of his injury

countygump
01-04-2021, 07:37 PM
He’s gone back to Barnsley because of his injury

This is what T'gaffer sez:

Matty Wolfe's season at Notts County has been plunged into doubt after head coach Ian Burchnall confirmed the on-loan Barnsley midfielder is struggling with injury.

The Tykes midfielder has only made a handful of appearances for Notts this season and last played in the 3-1 FA Trophy win over Oxford City last month.

Wolfe has been absent from the matchday squad in recent weeks and was not involved again last night as Notts suffered defeat to Aldershot in the National League.

His absence is a blow to Notts who are particularly short on midfield options especially after Michael Doyle picked up a calf injury against Hornchurch at the weekend.

Asked about Wolfe's absence Burchnall said: "He's gone and had a scan. I am not sure on the outcome of that. We have to talk to his parent club about his rehab and things like that.

"We've got to respect, but for the time being he won't be seen anytime soon."

Notts have moved swiftly to offset the blow of losing Wolfe and Doyle by adding Crewe midfielder Regan Griffiths to the squad on loan until the end of the season.

He will go straight into the squad to face Wrexham for the televised game against Wrexham on Friday and will help ease the blow of losing Doyle to a calf injury.

He becomes head coach Ian Burchnall's first signing since arriving at Notts and believes his qualities will improve their creativity.

“We didn’t anticipate having to bring anyone in so quickly but with Doyler’s injury it’s really important we’ve got cover in that area,” said Ian Burchnall.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/wolfe-notts-county-barnsley-absence-5249531

queenslandpie
01-04-2021, 10:42 PM

Where did you hear this rumour?

Freeman25
02-04-2021, 01:35 PM
Wasn't it Wolfe that Ardley said earlier in the season he was away from the team due to a death in the family? Could be related.

Not to be too harsh on him after the above being said, but I thought he looked cr*p in the couple of games he's played so other than it being another option in the middle I don't see him leaving being a big loss, I do think we need someone that's not an untried youngster (or the wrong side of 30) in the middle though if the right one is available somewhere.