PDA

View Full Version : England squad for Euro 2021

TSANHO
07-04-2021, 01:39 PM
I’m looking forward to this tournament, and whilst I always get a bit carried away concerning England’s chances, I genuinely feel we are starting to see some real quality throughout the squad...certainly good enough to give the top teams a good game.

I like Southgate too, but I’m just unsure whether he will actually ‘go for it’ when the games come around....anyway, here is my preferred starting lineup!

............................Pickford

Walker.........Stones......Slab Head....Chilwell

............Foden.....Bellingham......Mount

.........Sterling.........Kane..........Grealish

The tournament may come just a little early for that middle three, but there’s undoubted real quality in there now 👌

i961pie
07-04-2021, 02:54 PM
I’m looking forward to this tournament, and whilst I always get a bit carried away concerning England’s chances, I genuinely feel we are starting to see some real quality throughout the squad...certainly good enough to give the top teams a good game.

I like Southgate too, but I’m just unsure whether he will actually ‘go for it’ when the games come around....anyway, here is my preferred starting lineup!

The tournament may come just a little early for that middle three, but there’s undoubted real quality in there now ��

Talented midfield but where is the ball winner/ spoiler?

TSANHO
07-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Talented midfield but where is the ball winner/ spoiler?

I’m not sure you need that specific person any more, I like the way teams like Man City win the ball back....just pressing with energy until the opposition cannot keep it any longer! That midfield is capable of that I think.

drillerpie
07-04-2021, 03:25 PM
"What's tackles?"

laddo
07-04-2021, 03:28 PM
Wouldn't want to setup to defend any corners or attacking free kicks with that starting XI. Not enough height in there. Swap Bellingham for Rice.

ncfcog
07-04-2021, 03:30 PM
. . . . . . . . . .Banks . . . . .
Neal . . . Hughes . . . Butcher . . . Pearce
. . . Charlton . . . Moore . . .
. . . . . . Robson . . .
. . .Beckham . . . Brooking . . .
. . . . . .Keegan . . .

BanjoPie
07-04-2021, 04:43 PM

The tournament may come just a little early for that middle three, but there’s undoubted real quality in there now 👌

Stones is a liability - always has been and always will be.

TSANHO
07-04-2021, 04:49 PM
Wouldn't want to setup to defend any corners or attacking free kicks with that starting XI. Not enough height in there. Swap Bellingham for Rice.

I’m pretty sure Bellingham is taller than Rice, and will only fill out as he gets older too...plus his natural ability is better, though that could be subjective.

Having a big monster in the middle of the park isn’t needed at that level anymore, we’ve more than enough strength and height to deal with anything that can be thrown at us in that regard....England rarely get done by set pieces, it’s intricate passing, movement and self sabotage that usually does us in the end!

BanjoPie
07-04-2021, 05:15 PM
I’m pretty sure Bellingham is taller than Rice, and will only fill out as he gets older too...plus his natural ability is better, though that could be subjective.

Having a big monster in the middle of the park isn’t needed at that level anymore, we’ve more than enough strength and height to deal with anything that can be thrown at us in that regard....England rarely get done by set pieces, it’s intricate passing, movement and self sabotage that usually does us in the end!

I think Rice is out for 2 months with an injury

laddo
07-04-2021, 05:42 PM
You must have looked it up (1cm) lol.

I don't think Bellingham is any great shakes in the air from the limited games I've seen but could be wrong.

That lineup has 4 outfield 6 footers and that's it. Grealish, Mount, Foden and Sterling aren't offering at corners other than taking them. Bot enough height in that side.

Love Mount, think Rice or Henderson plays in that midfield role for the obvious reason.

Grealish or Sir Marcus alongside Harry and Raheem.

Stones and Maguire is a no brainer, with Mings and Gomez as backup.

Shaw or Chilwell is close but I'd also go with the Chelsea man

As mentioned I hope Gareth takes a few gambled he's certainly got a plethora of attacking creative talent to choose from that we've not seen for a long time.

Thordardaughter
07-04-2021, 06:11 PM
Stones is a liability - always has been and always will be.

Flipping eck you thinking of succeeding Pep ?

jacobncfc
07-04-2021, 07:48 PM
I’m not sure you need that specific person any more, I like the way teams like Man City win the ball back....just pressing with energy until the opposition cannot keep it any longer! That midfield is capable of that I think.

Man City always have at least one of Fernandinho and Rodri, often both.

To answer the q:

Pope
Trippier - Maguire - Stones - Shaw
Henderson - Rice
Sancho/Foden/Grealish - Mount - Sterling
Kane

Just that one position I can’t decide on. Henderson is probably injured as well to be fair, so either Phillips or Bellingham would come in.