PDA

View Full Version : O/T Prince Phillip dies

Oldstripy
09-04-2021, 11:46 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11437314

Chicken Balti Pie
09-04-2021, 11:51 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11437314

Utter shame he never got to raise his bat for the century. Still a cracking partnership with the Queen to steady the innings in times of turmoil and change for the nation. He will be missed

PedroTheFisherman66
09-04-2021, 12:03 PM
Utter shame he never got to raise his bat for the century. Still a cracking partnership with the Queen to steady the innings in times of turmoil and change for the nation. He will be missed

Just found out phil the Greek wasnt greek.!
Not one for royals but I had time for phil the greek...

since41
09-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Loved his shoot from the shoulder quips. Political correctness be dammed.

RIP.

Bushwacka
09-04-2021, 12:33 PM
Just found out phil the Greek wasnt greek.!

He was born in Corfu (bet he loved a night out down the strip in Kavos) to a Greek Prince Dad and his grandad was the King of Greece.

BanjoPie
09-04-2021, 01:02 PM
RIP Sir - You will be remembered with affection and for being ‘a good bloke’.

PedroTheFisherman66
09-04-2021, 01:16 PM
He was born in Corfu (bet he loved a night out down the strip in Kavos) to a Greek Prince Dad and his grandad was the King of Greece.

It was saying he was of Dutch and Danish heritage..

Glad2BeAPie
09-04-2021, 01:22 PM
Yes we know, it's all over the news.

Bushwacka
09-04-2021, 01:23 PM
It was saying he was of Dutch and Danish heritage..
Yeah, his Grandfather was Danish, then made King of Greece, so I suppose not from a long line of gyros merchants, but still Greek, I reckon.

Mapperleypie
09-04-2021, 01:41 PM

Shame he didn't get to his century. A lovely knock. He did look increasing uncomfortable against the new ball later on in his innings having joined his cousin with a flourish when they were on 13.

sidders
09-04-2021, 01:49 PM
All TV channels except 4 basically closing down for the day. Is this OTT?
The first 'dirty' joke I was told (at the age of 10) by a promiscuous ****. 'What is the Queen's favourite record?'
ANS: 'Magic Moments' on Phillips' 10 inch.
Sorry, am I being disrespectful? God save the Queen,

Elite_Pie
09-04-2021, 02:05 PM
The first 'dirty' joke I was told (at the age of 10) by a promiscuous ****. 'What is the Queen's favourite record?'

Yes it think it is OTT, even the bloody racing at Aintree has been moved to ITV4. Regarding your other comment, the presenters were doing their tributes at the start of the show and when Alice Plunkett recounted a meeting she had with him, her comment was that "He had a huge twinkle".

As I type, it's just been announced that following discussions between the BHA and government the Grand National will go ahead tomorrow. What the **** would cancelling or postponing it achieve?

SwalePie
09-04-2021, 02:19 PM

I once bumped into him in The Oven Pub on the strip, lovely bloke. Good water skier too.

BigFatPie
09-04-2021, 03:09 PM
Yes it think it is OTT, even the bloody racing at Aintree has been moved to ITV4. Regarding your other comment, the presenters were doing their tributes at the start of the show and when Alice Plunkett recounted a meeting she had with him, her comment was that "He had a huge twinkle".

As I type, it's just been announced that following discussions between the BHA and government the Grand National will go ahead tomorrow. What the **** would cancelling or postponing it achieve?

WTF?

That was the thing I was dreading about the owd folks who live in the palaces dying, the country would go into complete meltdown.

And so it comes to pass.

Wedgie_pie
09-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Agree with Sidn and EP, completely OTT with regard to Radio and TV coverage... Looks like Netflix or Amazon Prime for me tonight...
Isn't it about time we Brits had a vote on keeping the Royals or not, say a public vote every ten years its called democracy...

cocopops61
09-04-2021, 04:08 PM
I hope there's not going to be more than 30 at the funeral

BanjoPie
09-04-2021, 04:37 PM
Agree with Sidn and EP, completely OTT with regard to Radio and TV coverage... Looks like Netflix or Amazon Prime for me tonight...
Isn't it about time we Brits had a vote on keeping the Royals or not, say a public vote every ten years its called democracy...

God bless the Duke and may he rest in peace - ‘Long live the Royal Family’

Elite_Pie
09-04-2021, 04:44 PM
F off - you have nothing good to say about him or the Royal Family then keep your f-in mouth firmly shut

Why? I don't hold him or the Royal Family in high regard, why shouldn't I be allowed to say so?

BanjoPie
09-04-2021, 04:45 PM
Why? I don't hold him or the Royal Family in high regard, why shouldn't I be allowed to say so?

I wasn’t talking to you Elite! - I have since edited my post as maybe I was a little too abrupt - I would die for that family but would not expect you or the likes of Wodgi pie to understand that.

Elite_Pie
09-04-2021, 04:56 PM
I wasn’t talking to you Elite! - I have since edited my post as maybe I was a little too abrupt - I would die for that family but would not expect you or the likes of Wodgi pie to understand that.

Good for you, we all think differently. It would be boring if we didn't.

upthemaggies
09-04-2021, 05:49 PM
ns between the BHA and government the Grand National will go ahead tomorrow. What the **** would cancelling or postponing it achieve?

Heard something similar about the football tomorrow. The last king (George VI) died pretty young at 56 on a Wednesday, which must have been a huge deal at the time, and yet the football went ahead as normal on the Saturday (we lost 1-0 at home to Blackburn Rovers), games also went ahead the weekend after Churchill died, so I think even considering the idea that fixtures might be cancelled for Prince Phillip probably says something for post-Diana syndrome, for whom the Saturday fixtures were all moved to Sunday at very short notice so people could watch her funeral (we beat Scunny 2-1, Redmile and Derry scored).
Having said that, one of the most bizarre scenes ever seen on a football pitch was in the 1974 World Cup 'semi-final' (group decider) between West Germany and Poland when the referee blew his whistle 15-20 mins into the 1st half and the players had to freeze and observe a minute's silence in the middle of the game for President Peron of Argentina who'd died a few days earlier.

Elite_Pie
09-04-2021, 06:14 PM
Heard something similar about the football tomorrow. The last king (George VI) died pretty young at 56 on a Wednesday, which must have been a huge deal at the time, and yet the football went ahead as normal on the Saturday (we lost 1-0 at home to Blackburn Rovers), games also went ahead the weekend after Churchill died, so I think even considering the idea that fixtures might be cancelled for Prince Phillip probably says something for post-Diana syndrome, for whom the Saturday fixtures were all moved to Sunday at very short notice so people could watch her funeral (we beat Scunny 2-1, Redmile and Derry scored).
Having said that, one of the most bizarre scenes ever seen on a football pitch was in the 1974 World Cup 'semi-final' (group decider) between West Germany and Poland when the referee blew his whistle 15-20 mins into the 1st half and the players had to freeze and observe a minute's silence in the middle of the game for President Peron of Argentina who'd died a few days earlier.

The EFL have announced this:

Following the sad passing of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the EFL can confirm that there will be a two-minute silence ahead of all EFL fixtures taking place tonight and across the weekend (9-10 April).

Must admit I find the idea of silence in a stadium with no fans a bit bizarre, and also that it has to last for two minutes rather than the standard one. Maybe Royals are worth twice as much as us commoners?

upthemaggies
09-04-2021, 06:38 PM

Following the sad passing of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the EFL can confirm that there will be a two-minute silence ahead of all EFL fixtures taking place tonight and across the weekend (9-10 April).

Must admit I find the idea of silence in a stadium with no fans a bit bizarre, and also that it has to last for two minutes rather than the standard one. Maybe Royals are worth twice as much as us commoners?

Curiously, Churchill's funeral took place on a Saturday in January 1965 and was broadcast live on TV (exactly as Diana) and yet the football went ahead, it was FA Cup 4th round day.

President Kennedy was murdered on a Friday and Notts beat Millwall 2-0 the next day. We probably did hold a minute's silence that afternoon, they definitely did hold one at Everton - notoriously interrupted by a man in the crowd shouting "Long Live Kruzchev!" for which he was arrested.

BigFatPie
09-04-2021, 06:45 PM

TWO MINUTES??

I’d like to see some of the free speech wallahs reactions if a player shouted ‘up the republic!’ at about the minute mark.

jackal2
09-04-2021, 08:05 PM
RIP Sir - You will be remembered with affection and for being ‘a good bloke’.

TWO MINUTES?? I’d like to see some of the free speech wallahs reactions if a player shouted ‘up the republic!’ at about the minute mark.

Two different reactions, but I actually agree with both.

It's a point I've made before, but again I'll repeat my view that football matches shouldn't be used as a platform for political or civic gestures which implicitly assume the agreement of everyone, when it is actually impossible and wrong to make that assumption of a large group of people with differing views. The only safe assumption you can make about the views of people who pay to watch (or stream) a football match is that they agree with a game of football being played and to participate in watching it.

There will be various voluntary opportunities for many who wish to do so to pay their respects to the Duke of Edinburgh in the coming days, albeit in different ways to what would normally be the case outside of lockdown. For my part, I agree with Banjo Pie that many will remember Prince Phillip with affection and I certainly had more time for him and his service to the country than some of the other royals who haven't covered themselves in glory in recent times. I'm not a big Royalist, but I think on balance "The Firm" does more good than harm for the country in terms of the profile and recognition it brings us on the international stage.

However, it's clear on social media that (particularly) those of a more republican persuasion are somewhat irritated by the complete saturation coverage on the major news channels, and I tend to agree it is OTT. Ironically, I don't think Prince Phillip himself was the type who would have wanted such fuss to be made, and from what I've heard his wishes were for a relatively low key funeral and commemoration.

To this day I believe the ridiculously OTT response to the death of Princess Diana was an early example of the nauseatingly mawkish response we see to the deaths of many high profile celebrities these days, driven largely by the persistent hysteria of social media, which has become an echo chamber for exaggerated or fake emotion. People talk of deceased celebrities as though they were members of their own family or very close friends, when actually all they knew about the person in question was what they saw in the media (and we know how reliable that can be!).

Perhaps the best way of honouring the memory of Duke of Edinburgh is to return a bit more to the old "stiff upper lip" approach he somewhat typified. By all means, pause to reflect and respect the memory of a major public figure who has passed, if you wish to do so, but don't turn it into a mass media frenzy or a melodrama which goes on for weeks. That is certainly not what made Britain great.

RIP Prince Philip

BigFatPie
09-04-2021, 08:33 PM
Good post Jackal, can’t disagree with any of that.

Elite_Pie
09-04-2021, 08:38 PM
Two different reactions, but I actually agree with both.

As you say, two different reactions. BanjoPie "would die for this family" whereas I wouldn't give them the steam off my piss, because I'm already forced to give them more than I would choose to give due to enforced taxation. If Banjo and others of a like mind want to mourn for a week or two that is their right, just don't try and make us all do it. The loss of someone is always hard to take for those close to the deceased, but I wasn't close in this instance. Just do what you feel is right, and let others do the same.

i961pie
09-04-2021, 09:18 PM
Why does the BBC have to put the same thing on both of their channels 1+2? Blood ridiculous.

jackal2
09-04-2021, 09:48 PM
Why does the BBC have to put the same thing on both of their channels 1+2? Blood ridiculous.

It is. There's no logic to it whatsoever and it serves no useful purpose. In fact it could be directly counter-productive to honouring the Duke's memory. Yes it's a major news story and certainly worthy of some special programming, and maybe an evening of extensive coverage on one channel with further retrospective programmes in the next couple of days, but isn't that why we have several 24-hour news channels anyway?

I get the impression that this is more about the news media having their 'moment' and justifying their existence than it is about the interests of the Royal family or the general public. Prince Philip would probably have been embarrassed if not annoyed by such saturation coverage, because he was a pragmatic, unassuming man who did not crave excessive limelight.

drillerpie
10-04-2021, 06:09 AM
It is. There's no logic to it whatsoever and it serves no useful purpose. In fact it could be directly counter-productive to honouring the Duke's memory. Yes it's a major news story and certainly worthy of some special programming, and maybe an evening of extensive coverage on one channel with further retrospective programmes in the next couple of days, but isn't that why we have several 24-hour news channels anyway?

I get the impression that this is more about the news media having their 'moment' and justifying their existence than it is about the interests of the Royal family or the general public. Prince Philip would probably have been embarrassed if not annoyed by such saturation coverage, because he was a pragmatic, unassuming man who did not crave excessive limelight.

https://youtu.be/5RRmE0_n0K4

https://youtu.be/x6T9wg5-2u0

I like news, but with the advent of rolling news I genuinely think there's too much of it. Or rather, it would be ok if it was detailed analysis that gave you genuine insight, but it tends to just be banal, repetitive, speculative and emotive.

Charlie Brooker pretty much nails it in the links I've posted here, but I also recommend looking up Matt Taibbi; he does a very interesting analysis on the way journalism has evolved (or perhaps regressed).

sidders
10-04-2021, 08:03 AM
https://youtu.be/5RRmE0_n0K4

https://youtu.be/x6T9wg5-2u0

I like news, but with the advent of rolling news I genuinely think there's too much of it. Or rather, it would be ok if it was detailed analysis that gave you genuine insight, but it tends to just be banal, repetitive, speculative and emotive.

Charlie Brooker pretty much nails it in the links I've posted here, but I also recommend looking up Matt Taibbi; he does a very interesting analysis on the way journalism has evolved (or perhaps regressed).

Think you are conflating two problems as one here, Drills. I think quality analysis of news issues is available if you look in the right places - Guardian, Times, Bellylaugh, Channel 4.
However, the other issue is the ridiculous overkill of certain issues - in this case. the Royal family. But then you see how people like Banjo react, having a love affair with the Crown, and that is just the attitude that the BBC addresses. I am sick of being told that I am a member of the British public who is devastated by 'my loss'. I'm not. He's 99; would that we could all live so long. Lost my dad at 48 - now that did devastate me.
No one gets out of here alive. And btw I am not an anti-monarchist.

Wedgie_pie
10-04-2021, 08:07 AM

Mr Banjo, sorry I didn't respond yesterday, Good for you and your stand on the Royal Family, but I would like a choice ( not that our two main political parties would dare to put that in their manifestos) and don't get me started on the House of Lords shower...

I see BBC radio have changed today programs in reflection and memory of the Duke way way over the top....

Yours in friendship and fellow Pie Wodgi_ Pie :s

TSANHO
10-04-2021, 08:57 AM
As you say, two different reactions. BanjoPie "would die for this family" whereas I wouldn't give them the steam off my piss, because I'm already forced to give them more than I would choose to give due to enforced taxation. If Banjo and others of a like mind want to mourn for a week or two that is their right, just don't try and make us all do it. The loss of someone is always hard to take for those close to the deceased, but I wasn't close in this instance. Just do what you feel is right, and let others do the same.

Probably the best post that also sums my thoughts on the matter, and the royal family!

Bridg4d_Pie_
10-04-2021, 09:00 AM

Yes sidders, that was a real Golden Oldie still a good one though.

R I P Prince Phillip, You helped the Queen to make our Country A Well Respected World Wide Treasure.
Thank you for a great innings.

drillerpie
10-04-2021, 12:51 PM
Think you are conflating two problems as one here, Drills. I think quality analysis of news issues is available if you look in the right places - Guardian, Times, Bellylaugh, Channel 4.

I agree that quality analysis is available, although I personally wouldn't look for it in any of the places you mentioned. Certainly not the Guardian, which, unsurprisingly, since they started being bankrolled by activist groups (philanthropic partnerships is how they describe it, if they describe it, which they usually don't in their little paragraph at the end of each article about how editorially independent they are) has been reduced to activism rather than journalism.

My point was that rolling news channels have 24 hours per day dedicated to news and they could use that to show interesting in-depth analysis of issues, but they prefer what you neatly described as 'overkill' - a mixture of grief-**** and journalists standing in random places telling you absolutely nothing new for the nth time.

TheBlackHorse
10-04-2021, 01:29 PM
... on a lighter note, we could claim a connection - Phil being part Danish and Captain of HMS Magpie - not that it has any significance; perhaps a faint smile ...