PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mellon

Arabknight
11-04-2021, 12:10 PM
Doncaster interested in getting MM. Thoughts?

JUSTaway
11-04-2021, 12:23 PM
Unless he isn't happy personally or professionally I'd be surprised if after one season in Scotland he'd want to go straight back to England and in amongst those leagues again having managed down there his whole career so far.

offshore_arab83
11-04-2021, 12:26 PM
If he goes theres very little complaints from me

Was brought in to keep us up and he's done that.

Arabknight
11-04-2021, 12:27 PM
Unless he isn't happy personally or professionally I'd be surprised if after one season in Scotland he'd want to go straight back to England and in amongst those leagues again having managed down there his whole career so far.

I’d be surprised too mate. Personally wld like him to stay and get a window to see what we can achieve.

Arabdownsouth
11-04-2021, 12:29 PM
I think we need to be United behind the manager tbh and hopefully that's the clubs thinking too. He's achieved target number 1 comfortably and we still have an excellent chance of a 7th place finish and a decent cup run. I want to see how he does after having a full preseason and a chance to recruit and offload. I get that the football hasn't been pretty at times and people want to see better performances but continuity is key imo. Points make prizes.

Orjan11
11-04-2021, 12:49 PM
Definitely want to see MM stay at Tannadice; He's had an extremely difficult job this season, and he's achieved the club's objectives.
I look forward to him having a proper pre-season with United, and see where it takes us next season.

Chick A Saw
11-04-2021, 12:52 PM
I would like to see Micky getting a chance to show what he can do without the issues that Covid and Hearts brought to our door at the start of this season. We have so far exceeded my expectations, and we have a good chance of cementing 7th place.

GUNBOAT
11-04-2021, 02:10 PM
Changing the manager is a massive risk because there is every chance the new guy appointed will fail.We were forced into it due to the Bride phucking up again but we should tell Doncaster to F OFF.
Micky has managed at that level for most of his career and i'm pretty sure he will not be interested in returning to wet nights away in Crewe etc.At that level in England you virtually never get a midweek off with 46 league games and loads of wee shytie cup games to play.
I honestly think he is loving being back in Scotland and it would take a much bigger club coming in before his head was turned.

shedka
11-04-2021, 02:40 PM
I'd be surprised if he left but at the same time If he does then there are two very decent options available

McInnes and Steve Robinson

Would take either if those, even though Mcinnes had huge budget and other clubs were away giving them a free hit at second most seasons, he still knows how to get consistency, rebuild and he did a decent job at St Johnstone

So we are in a good position to have a couple guys like that available, and we would be a draw for them if MM decided to go imo

GUNBOAT
11-04-2021, 02:46 PM
I'd be surprised if he left but at the same time If he does then there are two very decent options available

McInnes and Steve Robinson

Would take either if those, even though Mcinnes had huge budget and other clubs were away giving them a free hit at second most seasons, he still knows how to get consistency, rebuild and he did a decent job at St Johnstone

So we are in a good position to have a couple guys like that available, and we would be a draw for them if MM decided to go imo

There are two major flaws in your thinking,

1,McInnes would cost far too much and i think he would turn us down.

2 Robinson although a decent manager chucked in the towel at Motherwell and his temperament to say the least is suspect.

tijuanataxi
11-04-2021, 02:52 PM
If Micky Mellon left NO way would i want Mcinnes.That beard FFS.

shedka
11-04-2021, 02:52 PM
I don't agree, would say both would through the interest in if our job came up this summer, think we'd work things out salary wise incase of del boy and Robinson still done an excellent job for a few years at Motherwell overall, and good at introducing and improving younger promising players

GUNBOAT
11-04-2021, 03:04 PM
I don't agree, would say both would through the interest in if our job came up this summer, think we'd work things out salary wise incase of del boy and Robinson still done an excellent job for a few years at Motherwell overall, and good at introducing and improving younger promising players

I will bow to your superior knowledge mate.

Arabknight
11-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Also McInnes number 2 still lives in Dundee. His kids go to same school as mine. But as I say hope MM want a proper run at Scottish premier with full pre season and transfer window.

Arabdownsouth
11-04-2021, 03:06 PM
McInnes, how many goals in that run of games again? Yeah love to have him in to make our football exciting again 😂

Mellon in!! 👍

offshore_arab83
11-04-2021, 03:22 PM

Got to remember he was interviewed before we appointed w@nknamara and reason the snake never gave him the gig was he swore to much, i swear to **** that's gospel by the way

ROMA84
11-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Good to see a bit of support for our manager instead of all the "get rid" posts that have been on social media over the last few months. He has accomplished the main job he had to do with games still to be played, and we have a reasonable chance of a wee cup run.

TangerineDream
11-04-2021, 03:46 PM
I’m hoping Mickey stays, see what he can do with the squad and campaign next season.

I think he shows great enthusiasm for Dundee United, be surprised if he felt it was time to move on.

shedka
11-04-2021, 03:47 PM
I will bow to your superior knowledge mate.

Not superior knowledge

But if MM decided to go, those two are exactly the types you want if Utd are going to become a consistent top six club pushing for top 4 and doing decent in domestic cups

To become the Utd of old, hoping MM can do it but we will see

GUNBOAT
11-04-2021, 03:56 PM
The Sheep sh@gger thread on McInnes ran to 619 pages mostly wanting him out but what do they know eh?.

arab777
11-04-2021, 04:02 PM
I would be surprised if went to Doncaster. He has a job to build on here. He has got us comfortably mid table in a season we could easily have been in a dogfight given the limited strengthening from the Championship squad.

GUNBOAT
11-04-2021, 04:03 PM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/stephen-robinson-quit-motherwell-mental-23256397

No thanks,FACT.

tijuanataxi
11-04-2021, 04:15 PM
The Sheep sh@gger thread on McInnes ran to 619 pages mostly wanting him out but what do they know eh?.

My Aberdeen supporting son in law wanted him out last season. Before.this covid.nae way would i want him at our club.safe pair of hands? prob.but no.That Beard.FFS.

cybershed
11-04-2021, 04:34 PM
I'm totally behind Micky.

It's been a difficult season for United to negotiate given the circumstances.

But we've staved off relegation with a level of comfort, and are gunning to get 7th spot with a possible cup run to come.i

I'm a bit worried that we may not be able to give Micky the budget he needs to truly turn us into a top six side. But he proved he can get more out of the players at his disposal. He's made us fitter than we have been for years, and the team fight for each other to the last minute of every game.

Micky also seems to know his stuff when it comes to game management. A quality that we've not had in the dugout for many a year.

Hopefully a bit of stability with Micky at the helm will bring about further improvement as we seek to re-establish our club as top-tier side.

Yeats 62
11-04-2021, 04:44 PM
He has done what was asked of him (maybe a wee bit more) under horrendous circumstances. Got to give him a chance at next season. Let him get rid of the players he thinks can't cut it. Maybe he will get a wee bit cash from MO or transfers. Let him have his own pre-season, and his own squad, and see how it goes.

Dodging relegation this season was a must, and we have now succeeded, might even make 7th. Not too shabby considering.

Looking forward to next season already. Hopefully with a newish team and fans in the stands. What's not to like ?

Mission accomplished this season, lets move on ....(hopefully upwards) :)

Arabdownsouth
11-04-2021, 05:00 PM
He might even win us the cup still, remote chance but we are still in it 😋

Arabknight
11-04-2021, 05:03 PM
Year left on MM contract. Cld just be his agent doing the old trick of stirring things to push a possible extension to current contract.

JJA22flup
11-04-2021, 07:21 PM
Uch surely not another managerial merry-go-round... I'm really happy with what MM has achieved this season with all the obstacles that were in his way. I hope he gets the chance to spend some money and put his own stamp on the team. I would be interested in seeing what he can achieve.

shedka
11-04-2021, 09:01 PM

To clarify I hope MM stays by the way, was just suggesting in the event he decides to go

There would have been threads wanting McLean out on here if it existed in 1978 after 7 years in charge

Fans just get fed up of the same person this day and age and get restless, Houston should never have been under pressure for example yet fans turned against him, he still would have got us top six that season Jackie took over from him for example on the back of 3rd 4th 4th. Scottish football fans and fans in general can be a pain in the backside for this, wanting change instead of letting a guy build an era while doing well for the most part, tbf Mcinnes lasted awhile and probably would have regrouped and bounced back from one disappointing season next year given the chance

I don't rate him overly high I've said that but for our needs he'd do us a turn for a 2-3 seasons as would Robinson, his record at well speaks for itself despite you trying to cast up off field stuff, they done well league wise, got two cup finals, developed good young talent in the first team

Either could help re establish us at the right end of we had to replace Micky

arab777
11-04-2021, 09:06 PM
Uch surely not another managerial merry-go-round... I'm really happy with what MM has achieved this season with all the obstacles that were in his way. I hope he gets the chance to spend some money and put his own stamp on the team. I would be interested in seeing what he can achieve.

Another aspect. Every club he has been at he has been popular with the fans. Because of COVID he has been deprived of that interaction something he enjoys doing and would probably connect very well with. I am sure that has been really frustrating for him. We definitely needs next season to see what he can really do with the club.

LSArab
11-04-2021, 09:29 PM
I am 100% behind Micky.

Hope he stays and fancy he can do well with us next season.

Also don’t fancy any other options. But that’s not the point we should back and stay loyal to a decent manager

ARAbCHNID
12-04-2021, 07:25 AM
I've just stuck this on Tek so here goes on Mad....
I can't believe we're even debating this. Some people are never happy. Think about what the last 12 months have been like. Things could have quite easily been an awful lot worse.

ARAbCHNID
12-04-2021, 07:36 AM
I should have read the posts before I commented.
Virtually everyone on here is 100% behind him :)
Some of the posts on Tek were critical.
Apologies for not doing proper research!

Arabknight
12-04-2021, 07:40 AM
I should have read the posts before I commented.
Virtually everyone on here is 100% behind him :)
Some of the posts on Tek were critical.
Apologies for not doing proper research!

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail 🤣

Steve Finan
12-04-2021, 07:45 AM
I'm totally behind Micky.

It's been a difficult season for United to negotiate given the circumstances.

But we've staved off relegation with a level of comfort, and are gunning to get 7th spot with a possible cup run to come.i

I'm a bit worried that we may not be able to give Micky the budget he needs to truly turn us into a top six side. But he proved he can get more out of the players at his disposal. He's made us fitter than we have been for years, and the team fight for each other to the last minute of every game.

Micky also seems to know his stuff when it comes to game management. A quality that we've not had in the dugout for many a year.

Hopefully a bit of stability with Micky at the helm will bring about further improvement as we seek to re-establish our club as top-tier side.

I agree. And JJA22flup's post makes a lot of sense too.
It would surely be very bad for the club to have to find yet another manager. Micky has done exactly what he was tasked to do and has therefore earned the right to the respect and loyalty of the fan base. He's brought in two players, Fuchs and Edwards, both have been successes. In the coming months and years he will add players of that type and seems committed to giving youngsters a chance.
I think we have one of the top two or three managers in Scotland. If you look around the current managers at all the Scottish clubs, who would you take that you reckon would be better than Micky?
The best periods in our club's history have been when we are all behind a manager.
Indeed, we as fans have a responsibility to our club. We have a job to do. We give loud and enthusiastic support. We take the role of "12th man" (a cliche, but the sentiment is valid). When we go a goal down we redouble support, not complain and give the team stick. There is too much sniping, minor criticisms, too many keyboard experts who appear to have forgotten we all want the same thing.
All clubs are strong when they are all pulling in the same direction.
It appears to me at the moment that Dundee United have a generous owner, an ambitious and coherent business plan, a team that is performing better than half of the others in this league (in our first season back in the top league), and a crop of exciting youngsters coming through.
It is a situation many clubs in this country would be very happy to have.
I really hope Micky stays. The fact that other clubs want him speaks volumes.
I'll be renewing my season ticket no matter what.

Steve Finan
12-04-2021, 07:46 AM
I am 100% behind Micky.

Also don’t fancy any other options. But that’s not the point we should back and stay loyal to a decent manager

Agree.

A. J
12-04-2021, 09:05 AM
Think most are all of same opinion

Like most I have been supportive of the manager and I admit in the moment of living game to game it has been a hard watch.
Do we blame him? The players? or the lack of funds and recruitment?*

I'd like to think covid and hearts put a halt on any plan A B or C for recruitment and we ended up with plan zzz
Mickey had to then start the season from a weaker than expected position.

No crowds allowed him to
a) to set the team up to play in a formation and style to get the points needed to survive and
b) get results thus inspire the players and somehow making them believe that the squad are better than what they actually are.*

Taking a step back, with the shenanigans he came into at the time, if we were told we would be safe from any relegation and in 7th with 4 to go we would have been well chuffed with that.

A good start had some of us setting higher expectations and with it ultimately a bit of frustration at not making top 6.
Truth is we have a team of players too good for the championship but not good enough for top 6 so we are where we probably should be which is safe but in bottom 6.

Personally I feel we could have still been in the fight but we have carried a bit of luck with Benji being brilliant and other teams not taking chances they should have,* though with the crap luck we had at the end of last season I think we deserved the bit of good we get.

My view is we need to put ourselves in the position where we don't need to be lucky and quality recruitment and a proper pre season is* needed. Do that and we can be optimistic whoever is in charge although I do think Mickey should stay and show us what he can do with a bit of recruitment and a good prep for season 21/22

Having said that if MM is thinking of leaving, my view is its a shame as he will never have witnessed Tannadice bouncing and singing his name and he deserves it for keeping us up.
But if he can't handle the heat with no crowds then he's better off going as whilst we are great craic during games, we are not shy in letting managers know when the performance on the pitch is not good enough

stokearab
12-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Think most are all of same opinion

Like most I have been supportive of the manager and I admit in the moment of living game to game it has been a hard watch.
Do we blame him? The players? or the lack of funds and recruitment?*

I'd like to think covid and hearts put a halt on any plan A B or C for recruitment and we ended up with plan zzz
Mickey had to then start the season from a weaker than expected position.

No crowds allowed him to
a) to set the team up to play in a formation and style to get the points needed to survive and
b) get results thus inspire the players and somehow making them believe that the squad are better than what they actually are.*

Taking a step back, with the shenanigans he came into at the time, if we were told we would be safe from any relegation and in 7th with 4 to go we would have been well chuffed with that.

A good start had some of us setting higher expectations and with it ultimately a bit of frustration at not making top 6.
Truth is we have a team of players too good for the championship but not good enough for top 6 so we are where we probably should be which is safe but in bottom 6.

Personally I feel we could have still been in the fight but we have carried a bit of luck with Benji being brilliant and other teams not taking chances they should have,* though with the crap luck we had at the end of last season I think we deserved the bit of good we get.

My view is we need to put ourselves in the position where we don't need to be lucky and quality recruitment and a proper pre season is* needed. Do that and we can be optimistic whoever is in charge although I do think Mickey should stay and show us what he can do with a bit of recruitment and a good prep for season 21/22

Having said that if MM is thinking of leaving, my view is its a shame as he will never have witnessed Tannadice bouncing and singing his name and he deserves it for keeping us up.
But if he can't handle the heat with no crowds then he's better off going as whilst we are great craic during games, we are not shy in letting managers know when the performance on the pitch is not good enough

Agree with this ^^^^^

I'd be surprised if he went to Doncaster but I don't know whether his family is still down south or relocated up to Scotland with him.

It hasn't been great to watch but taking everything into account he deserves the chance to forge his own side.

arab777
12-04-2021, 09:19 AM
Agree with this ^^^^^

I'd be surprised if he went to Doncaster but I don't know whether his family is still down south or relocated up to Scotland with him.

It hasn't been great to watch but taking everything into account he deserves the chance to forge his own side.

from interview in September.

Mellon and English wife Jane have settled quickly since he quit Tranmere for the Arabs in the summer. They live close to the club’s training base in St Andrews and so Mellon walks in every morning.

That love for the local fresh air also sees him out on his mountain bike or hitting one of the top golf courses in the area.

Mellon said: “I love being back. I’d forgotten a lot of the great things about Scotland. Now I’m the last guy anyone wants to meet if they say they’re not happy about things here!

“They get it double-barrelled from me how fantastic a country it is and how brilliant the people are. I love my football here too.

“I’m having a great time, so’s my wife. She’s from the Fylde coast. It’s the first time she’s lived away. Apart from visiting the four kids in England you’ll struggle to get her to leave Scotland now.

DUFCstokie
12-04-2021, 09:41 AM
I hope MM stays and takes us on to greater things.

January 1976 - United had just been whacked 4-1 at home to Motherwell. Near the end of the game hundreds of United supporters gathered at the Arkley Street end to shout abuse at Wee Jim calling for his head. Imagine IF the minority had had their wish that day??

Give MM his chance - we need stability after RN, Hearts and Covid.

Arabdownsouth
12-04-2021, 09:42 AM
I hope MM stays and takes us on to greater things.

January 1976 - United had just been whacked 4-1 at home to Motherwell. Near the end of the game hundreds of United supporters gathered at the Arkley Street end to shout abuse at Wee Jim calling for his head. Imagine IF the minority had had their wish that day??

Give MM his chance - we need stability after RN, Hearts and Covid.
100% this 👍

A. J
12-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Agree and to quote MM
'We are Dundee United'

If he truly means that and believes in the club as much as we do then he'll stay and show it

By and large there's the guts of a good squad there. With Ogren's backing let's make it a great one and welcome the good times back

Yeats 62
12-04-2021, 04:04 PM
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail 🤣

:D That's a classic...

To be fair, it is easy to dive in without reading back umpteeen posts. In saying that, when reading back it is great to see plenty level headed positive posts regarding our manager. Looks like the general opinion (thankfully) is to look forward to next season with MM, his own squad, his own ideas and try for top 6. (and a cup semi, and final) ;) Nae pressure Mickey... :D

Jim_Jam
12-04-2021, 10:53 PM
I am 100% behind Micky.

This ^^^^^^

Jim_Jam
12-04-2021, 11:04 PM

Mellon and English wife Jane have settled quickly since he quit Tranmere for the Arabs in the summer. They live close to the club’s training base in St Andrews and so Mellon walks in every morning.

That love for the local fresh air also sees him out on his mountain bike or hitting one of the top golf courses in the area.

Mellon said: “I love being back. I’d forgotten a lot of the great things about Scotland. Now I’m the last guy anyone wants to meet if they say they’re not happy about things here!

“They get it double-barrelled from me how fantastic a country it is and how brilliant the people are. I love my football here too.

“I’m having a great time, so’s my wife. She’s from the Fylde coast. It’s the first time she’s lived away. Apart from visiting the four kids in England you’ll struggle to get her to leave Scotland now.

and this ^^^^ pleases me.

I am enjoying the journey of improvement United are on. The manager, players, non-playing staff, academy and supporters' organisations all moving the club in the right direction. I think it's great and am looking forward to getting back in the ground to support our team.

PS. I do remember Stephen Thompson and Csaba László and the less good days.

stokearab
13-04-2021, 09:02 AM

Thanks for that. Good read. Mickey has said not interested in Doncaster.

GUNBOAT
17-04-2021, 10:04 AM
I always thought there would be a backlash after Forfar away.I only have two questions really.

We all know that the team struggles when the 3 strikers play so why play them even if it was only Forfar?.

Why are we so FN poor against lower league opposition?.

GUNBOAT
17-04-2021, 10:55 AM
If there is any chance that McNulty under the terms of his loan agreement must be played then i never want another loan signing wearing our shirt unless its an emergency.

JUSTaway
17-04-2021, 11:28 AM
I always thought there would be a backlash after Forfar away.I only have two questions really.

We all know that the team struggles when the 3 strikers play so why play them even if it was only Forfar?.

Why are we so FN poor against lower league opposition?.

Surely against opposition that quality an actual midfielder like Hoti is going to offer more than Clark in a withdrawn role, there was a point second half Clark picked it up deep in our own half from one of the centre backs like a quarter back.

shedka
17-04-2021, 12:10 PM
He picked the right team in the end as we had a comfortable away win in the cup and seemed like he is thinking ahead to having two more games in the next week, away to Killie midweek and away to Sheep/Livi next weekend

shedka
17-04-2021, 12:12 PM
If Livi win that will be 4 away games on plastic back to back

So far two 1-0 wins

Overall form very decent, 4 wins in a row, 6 unbeaten (including 0-0 with Celtic) , 1 defeat in 9 being at Ibrox

Dreamsof83
17-04-2021, 03:09 PM
Seems to me that the criticism Mellon is getting is hugely over top. Goes back to the fact many didn't want him in the first place. Unfortunately therefore any opportunity to criticise will be taken. Same goes with some of our players....Clark, Harkes and Robson get ridiculous grief regardless of the facts whilst we make excuses for Shankland's consistently poor form.

Thank goodness for this forum. At least views here tend to be balanced to a degree. Twitter is awful to read.

We need to be careful what we wish for. Pushing Mellon out leaves the door open for much much worse. For me the journey was always going to be difficult and long. We are in a better position than I could have imagined having been an utter joke for years. Yes, the football hasn't been free flowing (in patches in games it has) but that is no different to any other top flight team this season.

Think some perspective is called for. Two more games this week to try to improve in. Future remains bright

GUNBOAT
17-04-2021, 04:11 PM
IF we were in league one there is every chance we would be in a relegation battle.I base that solely on our head to head this season v teams of that calibre.
I blame most of that on the 11 on the pitch.

Orjan11
17-04-2021, 08:04 PM
I completely support MM, and we'll see where he takes us next season, though with United having debts of £7m. I don't think there will be a lot of spending in the close season, unless we release a number of players to free up wages

As far as I can see, there is so much speculation (not facts) being spouted from dee c t . They are just stirring it. eg
"MM may well be headed for Yorkshire this summer"
"Never a popular choice with fan base"
"Don't think United support will be too bothered if MM jumped ship"

That is the type of rag to avoid.

MM has done a job for us this season, and deserves support.

TerryTheTerror
17-04-2021, 10:06 PM
...hough with United having debts of £7m.

Do they? I haven't seen the accounts but I was under the impression the owners were covering the losses.

JamesMcClean
17-04-2021, 10:41 PM
I completely support MM, and we'll see where he takes us next season, though with United having debts of £7m. I don't think there will be a lot of spending in the close season, unless we release a number of players to free up wages

As far as I can see, there is so much speculation (not facts) being spouted from dee c t . They are just stirring it. eg
"MM may well be headed for Yorkshire this summer"
"Never a popular choice with fan base"
"Don't think United support will be too bothered if MM jumped ship"

That is the type of rag to avoid.

MM has done a job for us this season, and deserves support.

It’s bad enough at the best of times, but right now it’s totally off the radar. You actually feel like you’ve got to double check the leagues to confirm where the respective Clubs are and that you’ve not somehow missed something. Today’s trip to LaLaLand comes from the Callum Woodger column in today’s Tully, and I quote -

“However recently we’ve seen a new Dundee - one that, when it comes to crunch time, has ice in its veins. In their current five game Championship unbeaten run, we’ve seen that in abundance. A late Lee Ashcroft header, a man who has taken on the Michael Jordon in his Chicago Bulls prime mantle, rescued a point against Morton last weekend. However Dundee have that character right through the team now. Credit must go to boss James McPake for that and they’ll need to be clutch going into the biggest week of their campaign so far”.

What. The. Actual. Phuck. XDXDXD

japanarab
17-04-2021, 11:02 PM
It’s bad enough at the best of times, but right now it’s totally off the radar. You actually feel like you’ve got to double check the leagues to confirm where the respective Clubs are and that you’ve not somehow missed something. Today’s trip to LaLaLand comes from the Callum Woodger column in today’s Tully, and I quote -

“However recently we’ve seen a new Dundee - one that, when it comes to crunch time, has ice in its veins. In their current five game Championship unbeaten run, we’ve seen that in abundance. A late Lee Ashcroft header, a man who has taken on the Michael Jordon in his Chicago Bulls prime mantle, rescued a point against Morton last weekend. However Dundee have that character right through the team now. Credit must go to boss James McPake for that and they’ll need to be clutch going into the biggest week of their campaign so far”.

What. The. Actual. Phuck. XDXDXD
Hahahaha. Brilliant. Comparing a late equaliser against the mighty Morton to Michael Jordan's feats-- arguably the greatest sportsman in history. I hope his co-workers rip the piss out of him for that.

spikeontheright
17-04-2021, 11:17 PM
I really don't know what games most people on this thread have been watching this season.

With a very few exceptions, we have been awful. Yes, we are safe from relegation but we have paid a lot of money to have done this.

Friday night was a total embarrassment - a team that is bottom of a league 2 divisions below ours, who haven't won at home for 15 months, took the game to us and their players, who had done a full day of work beforehand, looked more comfortable and composed on the ball than ours did.

Our game plan was to pass, pass and pass again. Not once did any of our players take a man on in order to pull the opposition players out of position or to get to the byline and get a cross in. Jim McLean would have been turning in his grave.

The amount of aimless balls, under no pressure, fired up the park was soul destroying. If you guys are happy with watching this kind of crap, then good for you, but I refuse to put myself through that turgid sh!t week after week. I may be in the minority on here but I definitely am not in the minority of United fans with these opinions.

shedka
17-04-2021, 11:55 PM
looked more comfortable and composed on the ball than ours did.

They really didn't, you were watching a different game than me

Were we good? No, did Forfar do well? Yes they defended well and made it difficult, on a sticky pitch

We were though as you'd expect the better side in the things you mentioned, done enough and their keeper had some good saves first half, deniz had none, we got the goal early second half and should have wrapped it up, didn't look in any real danger

I'm not overly bothered about style over results this season, especially with the games behind closed doors it's not a huge deal, our form is very decent and we are one game away from Hampden now, albeit a tough one

Not really the time for getting on the backs or being negative, daft imo

TerryTheTerror
18-04-2021, 02:35 AM
I may be in the minority on here but I definitely am not in the minority of United fans with these opinions.

And you can't know that.

JamesMcClean
18-04-2021, 06:28 AM
Hahahaha. Brilliant. Comparing a late equaliser against the mighty Morton to Michael Jordan's feats-- arguably the greatest sportsman in history. I hope his co-workers rip the piss out of him for that.

That’s the point JA - his co-workers likely helped him put it together.XD

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 06:46 AM
I really don't know what games most people on this thread have been watching this season.

With a very few exceptions, we have been awful. Yes, we are safe from relegation but we have paid a lot of money to have done this.

Friday night was a total embarrassment - a team that is bottom of a league 2 divisions below ours, who haven't won at home for 15 months, took the game to us and their players, who had done a full day of work beforehand, looked more comfortable and composed on the ball than ours did.

Our game plan was to pass, pass and pass again. Not once did any of our players take a man on in order to pull the opposition players out of position or to get to the byline and get a cross in. Jim McLean would have been turning in his grave.

The amount of aimless balls, under no pressure, fired up the park was soul destroying. If you guys are happy with watching this kind of crap, then good for you, but I refuse to put myself through that turgid sh!t week after week. I may be in the minority on here but I definitely am not in the minority of United fans with these opinions.

Completely agree with regards Friday. It was awful. Two cup games now where I was hoping Mellon would let us play as he wants us to play against lower league opposition but no, we were stinking in both. The season has been the season. I'm happy to write it off as a one off due to all circumstances involved but f*ck me, we genuinely looked like a League One team in both these Cup ties. So disappointing.

arab777
18-04-2021, 08:00 AM

Nobody is happy watching this kind of football but there is also a realism that given the squad we have finishing middle table in the first season back in Premiership is acceptable. Everyone knows we have to improve our play but without sounding like a broken record we do not have any creative players. That is the problem. I doubt Jim Mclean would have been able to get us playing attractive football with these tools at his disposal.

The key to judge MM will be when he can bring in his own players in the summer, something he was limited with last summer. The 2 players he was able to sign Edwards and Fuchs have both made an impact in strengthening us defensively. Give him a chance to sort out the creativity side of things.

AraBrian
18-04-2021, 08:20 AM

To be fair last time we played forfar in the cup wee jum was the manager and after struggling to a draw at tannadice we just managed to beat them in the replay at station park on our march to the final guessing if social media was big at that time would have had people going nuts then too.

AraBrian
18-04-2021, 08:47 AM

Most united supporters I know would settle for for 3 more dreary 1-0 wins in the cup would you'r majority of utd supporters rather a great show from utd in a 3-3 draw at the pit followed by an exit on penaltys?Would be great if utd could play brilliant every week and win but really we are a work in progress if you don't want to watch them every week that is fair enough maybe if they get better next season or season after you will change you'r mind.

Whitfieldarab
18-04-2021, 08:50 AM
Nobody is happy watching this kind of football but there is also a realism that given the squad we have finishing middle table in the first season back in Premiership is acceptable. Everyone knows we have to improve our play but without sounding like a broken record we do not have any creative players. That is the problem. I doubt Jim Mclean would have been able to get us playing attractive football with these tools at his disposal.

The key to judge MM will be when he can bring in his own players in the summer, something he was limited with last summer. The 2 players he was able to sign Edwards and Fuchs have both made an impact in strengthening us defensively. Give him a chance to sort out the creativity side of things.

Agree with all of that but will he get the size of budget in the summer that he needs to get the players in that he wants? I think Benji will be sold for way less than he's worth and Shankland's worth is diminishing weekly so the the budget will depend on where we finish in the league, a good cup run, the insurance money getting paid out and of course the fans putting their hands in their pockets again.

The biggest overhall is the midfield, we need decent width and someone with a modicum of ability in beside Jeando.

DUFCstokie
18-04-2021, 09:33 AM

Jim McLean would have been turning in his grave .

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Wee Jim had his moments when some fans turned on him. Those fans also thought they were the majority - thank feck that wasn't the case.
Of course we are disappointed with the standard of football United are playing at the moment but MM never claimed to be a magician. Give the man a chance. If he turns out to be another managerial/coaching let down then so be it - we have been there before.

GUNBOAT
18-04-2021, 10:20 AM
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Wee Jim had his moments when some fans turned on him. Those fans also thought they were the majority - thank feck that wasn't the case.
Of course we are disappointed with the standard of football United are playing at the moment but MM never claimed to be a magician. Give the man a chance. If he turns out to be another managerial/coaching let down then so be it - we have been there before.

He cannie be regarded in the history books as a let down because he kept us up against all the odds.As for Jim McLean you are spot on.
If there was social media in the 70's we would never have won 3 trophies at Dens including the League Title.I really wish we had won up at Forfar and were all looking forward to a quarter final against a team who have failed to score against us in 3 matches.
Ach well as the Funsters have been saying for over a century,"There's always next year Granny."

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 10:21 AM
Most united supporters I know would settle for for 3 more dreary 1-0 wins in the cup would you'r majority of utd supporters rather a great show from utd in a 3-3 draw at the pit followed by an exit on penaltys?Would be great if utd could play brilliant every week and win but really we are a work in progress if you don't want to watch them every week that is fair enough maybe if they get better next season or season after you will change you'r mind.

We'd all love to win the cup, no one's denying that, but it doesn't mean we can't be disappointed at throwing in that kind of performance against Forfar. I expected more. As did Spike. As did many others. They are 25 league places below us and rock bottom of League One after all and we looked like the League One team. It wasn't even as if we threw everything at them and they defended for their lives. We threw nothing at them because we simply weren't good enough. We were set up wrong and we had players playing who should not have been on the park which has been a recurring theme since the turn of the year.

An old shed boy
18-04-2021, 11:11 AM
We'd all love to win the cup, no one's denying that, but it doesn't mean we can't be disappointed at throwing in that kind of performance against Forfar. I expected more. As did Spike. As did many others. They are 25 league places below us and rock bottom of League One after all and we looked like the League One team. It wasn't even as if we threw everything at them and they defended for their lives. We threw nothing at them because we simply weren't good enough. We were set up wrong and we had players playing who should not have been on the park which has been a recurring theme since the turn of the year.
Just replying to your post because it’s the last one.
I think the point the guy is maybe trying to make is that there are some - who knows how many - supporters who don’t rate Mellon as a manager.
The support on this forum is overwhelmingly behind him but this isn’t the only forum and some of the comments on social media do support that.
I get the point that we’re through but the performance was poor.
If we’d been playing well this season then I think the support would accept Fridays performance but we haven’t. Friday was pretty much like most other games.
I don’t think anybody is looking for Mellon to be sacked. That would be grossly unfair as he has kept us up.
But there is concern over how we’ll do next season. Hopefully we’ll be able to bring in new players.

BackRowArab
18-04-2021, 11:14 AM
Thing is 99% of managers in football are unsuccessful (only McLean, Golac and Houston have won a trophy for United for example), so its easy for fans to comes out and say a manager is **** and people who can't see it are stupid.

Then when they get sacked/resign etc then they can go back and tell everyone how smart they were to point out that said manager was going to be unsuccessful.

Damn I'm grumpy

AraBrian
18-04-2021, 11:49 AM

Yeah I would also love to see utd playing teams of the park every week but we are not good enough we are not barcelona or real madrid we are a team at the start of a rebuild after years in the lower division with some players that are not good enough to play in top league but to say they are not good enough to play against forfar is a bit much.Utd were not great on friday but had by far most of possession most attempts most corners most attempts on target and most goals.Ok the bbc team tried to do a job on utd saying forfar were so much better than us but even though we were not at our best on the plastic pitch they were not better than us.I don't know why MM keeps playing clark in midfield or mcnulty at all but really he has done a reasonable job with what he has this season so far 7th in league and last 8 in cup.I understand it is not the best football to watch and as I said if spike and any others are refusing to watch it every week is up to them.I personally would prefer he played this crap this year and kept us up and got as good a run in cup as he can than try to play some pretty game these players cant and get us out the cup and relegated.Hoping the entertainment gets better next season and spike etc start watching again.

AraBrian
18-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Thing is 99% of managers in football are unsuccessful (only McLean, Golac and Houston have won a trophy for United for example), so its easy for fans to comes out and say a manager is **** and people who can't see it are stupid.

Then when they get sacked/resign etc then they can go back and tell everyone how smart they were to point out that said manager was going to be unsuccessful.

Damn I'm grumpy

Don't think it really matters if we came second in league and runners up in cup some supporters would still be moaning I remember when we had great teams under wee jum they were still there in pubs etc moaning away just was not so much social media in those days some people glass always half empty.

GUNBOAT
18-04-2021, 01:11 PM
Don't think it really matters if we came second in league and runners up in cup some supporters would still be moaning I remember when we had great teams under wee jum they were still there in pubs etc moaning away just was not so much social media in those days some people glass always half empty.

I fully accept our performances against lower league teams this season are not acceptable but we have not played like that every week that is just not fair.
I thought we were very good v high flying Livi and we only had 10 men,i also thought we were the much better team v the Sheep when we beat them at Tannadice.
If you were to offer me Partick or Aberdeen away in the 1/4 Final of the Scottish Cup i would prefer to go their shytehole up north.Its just a pity we could not get past Forfar or that's where we would be next week.

ianharab
18-04-2021, 01:49 PM
I think the attitude of the players has a big part to play when you are up against teams from lower league's and ours has been poor

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 02:39 PM
Yeah I would also love to see utd playing teams of the park every week but we are not good enough we are not barcelona or real madrid we are a team at the start of a rebuild after years in the lower division with some players that are not good enough to play in top league but to say they are not good enough to play against forfar is a bit much.Utd were not great on friday but had by far most of possession most attempts most corners most attempts on target and most goals.Ok the bbc team tried to do a job on utd saying forfar were so much better than us but even though we were not at our best on the plastic pitch they were not better than us.I don't know why MM keeps playing clark in midfield or mcnulty at all but really he has done a reasonable job with what he has this season so far 7th in league and last 8 in cup.I understand it is not the best football to watch and as I said if spike and any others are refusing to watch it every week is up to them.I personally would prefer he played this crap this year and kept us up and got as good a run in cup as he can than try to play some pretty game these players cant and get us out the cup and relegated.Hoping the entertainment gets better next season and spike etc start watching again.

Mate, it was Forfar. I'm not asking to play Premiership teams off the park. It was the mighty Forfar Athletic!!

As for us having most of everything, here are the stats....

Possession: 45% - 55%
Goal attempts: 8 - 8
Shots on goal: 1 - 4
Shots off goal: 7 - 4
Corners: 5 - 6

So not as clear cut as you think. Possession was fairly even. Goal attempts exactly the same.

I'm trying to only speak about the Forfar game when I post. I understand why we've played the way we've played in the league but the cup was when I'd hoped for us to open up and play with a bit of freedom, however we've been rotten in that as well, not just against Forfar but Partick too. Partick could've been 4-0 up at HT ffs.

shedka
18-04-2021, 02:52 PM
I think the attitude of the players has a big part to play when you are up against teams from lower league's and ours has been poor

I'm genuinely not seeing this poor attitude, I'm seeing a good attitude in fact and current n results reflect this, I include Friday in that

County 0-2 United
United 3-0 Livi
Sevco 4-1 United (played well, score not a fair reflection)
Killie 1-1 United
United 0-0 Celtic
United 1-0 Aberdeen
United 2-1 Partick
Hamilton 0-1 United
Forfar 0-1 United

6 wins 2 draws 1 loss
6 cleansheets

GUNBOAT
18-04-2021, 02:54 PM
Mate, it was Forfar. I'm not asking to play Premiership teams off the park. It was the mighty Forfar Athletic!!

So not as clear cut as you think. Possession was fairly even. Goal attempts exactly the same.

I'm trying to only speak about the Forfar game when I post. I understand why we've played the way we've played in the league but the cup was when I'd hoped for us to open up and play with a bit of freedom, however we've been rotten in that as well, not just against Forfar but Partick too. Partick could've been 4-0 up at HT ffs.

I agree 100% about Partick mate we really should have been out the cup that day and yet there is every chance we will play in a Semi Final at Hampden.
Mellon deserves criticism but so do the players,it was not Micky who set up the Partick goal or fannied aboot in Forfar with flicks and tricks.

Whitfieldarab
18-04-2021, 03:05 PM
On the flip side of this,if you're a Farfir fan you must be wondering why they can turn up against us and play as well as they did while being utter pants in the league. I honestly thought they would tire in the last 20 minutes or so but it never happened, they just kept going.

I agree we should be doing better against the likes of Forfar and Partick but it just emphasises how poor we are in an attacking sense.

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 03:08 PM
I agree 100% about Partick mate we really should have been out the cup that day and yet there is every chance we will play in a Semi Final at Hampden.
Mellon deserves criticism but so do the players,it was not Micky who set up the Partick goal or fannied aboot in Forfar with flicks and tricks.

Absolutely. I've said for most of the season the players aren't good enough and that the manager deserves the credit for where we are. These two games however, our players are far better than the boys who lined up in front of them, one game after they'd all done a hard day's work. We should be beating these teams with or without the managers input. He didn't make things easy for us however, certainly not the way we lined up against Forfar.

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 03:13 PM
Doncaster interested in getting MM. Thoughts?
Doncaster have apparently narrowed it down to two guys, one of them being Mellon.

GUNBOAT
18-04-2021, 03:15 PM
On the flip side of this,if you're a Farfir fan you must be wondering why they can turn up against us and play as well as they did while being utter pants in the league. I honestly thought they would tire in the last 20 minutes or so but it never happened, they just kept going.

I agree we should be doing better against the likes of Forfar and Partick but it just emphasises how poor we are in an attacking sense.

There were massive moments in that game,Shankland must score and Clark's free kick.That's the fine margins with football.If they go in its a comfortable victory but they didnie and we must have went out the cup given the barrage of criticism being dished oot to Mellon.

Yeats 62
18-04-2021, 03:18 PM

Agree. I assume you are including the supply to the attackers as much as the lack of danger up front.
Doesn't help when we play 3 players, that in their opinions (IMO) :) would be out-and-out centre forwards.

We need to play 2 up front,( really up front) in whatever formation. We are defending well against most teams, in most games.

Just lets leave out striker #3 and stop fitting them in somewhere where they don't look happy and don't contribute much, at the expense of other players that can.

Beginning to wonder about someones previous comment on McNulty being guaranteed a place if fit.

GUNBOAT
18-04-2021, 03:26 PM
V Partick i honestly thought from almost the 1st minute our cup run was over.The management staff and players deserved all the criticism that they received in the aftermath.
Never once did i think we were going out on Friday yet Mellon with a job offer on the table is being overwhelmed with a tsunami,FACT.

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 03:40 PM
We need to play 2 up front,( really up front) in whatever formation. We are defending well against most teams, in most games.

Just lets leave out striker #3 and stop fitting them in somewhere where they don't look happy and don't contribute much, at the expense of other players that can.

And there ends the debate.

I really thought the whole squeezing three strikers onto the park was over too.

BudMill90
18-04-2021, 03:40 PM
Heard this morning that Mellon is away in the summer no matter what. Apparently no hard feelings on either side and his contract is a rolling one which means he could leave in the summer or get let go without any consequences. The source is fairly solid and I have no reason to not believe them. They don't often come out with anything unless it is spot on correct. Also said there is some seriously different views within the hierarchy about what 'type' of manager should take over. Interesting times ahead if this is all true.

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 03:47 PM
Heard this morning that Mellon is away in the summer no matter what. Apparently no hard feelings on either side and his contract is a rolling one which means he could leave in the summer or get let go without any consequences. The source is fairly solid and I have no reason to not believe them. They don't often come out with anything unless it is spot on correct. Also said there is some seriously different views within the hierarchy about what 'type' of manager should take over. Interesting times ahead if this is all true.

Always thought he'd signed a two year contract? That's certainly what was reported at the time.

GUNBOAT
18-04-2021, 03:50 PM

Lets bring in The Pundit or McPoke and give the masses what they crave.

BackRowArab
18-04-2021, 03:53 PM

If its a rolling contract then he still has 1 year left as of today. Rolling doesn't mean an automatic renewal every year.

JamesMcClean
18-04-2021, 03:54 PM
Lets bring in The Pundit or McPoke and give the masses what they crave.

McPoke? Jesus GB, think how much compensation would have to be doled out to make that happen. There’s no danger Funny FC have that sort of cash to hand.XD;D

Whitfieldarab
18-04-2021, 03:59 PM

I'd be gutted if he went after 1 season. It would always be a case of what could have been imo. I think on the whole that he's done a fantastic job.

Yeats 62
18-04-2021, 04:06 PM
McPoke? Jesus GB, think how much compensation would have to be doled out to make that happen. There’s no danger Funny FC have that sort of cash to hand.XD;D

GUNBOAT
18-04-2021, 04:13 PM
If he has to go i'm wanting our our customary £250,000 compensation package.Going by the season ticket thread we are gonna need it more than ever.

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 04:14 PM
I'd be gutted if he went after 1 season. It would always be a case of what could have been imo. I think on the whole that he's done a fantastic job.
I'd certainly be disappointed. Have been looking forward to seeing what he can do when given the right tools for the job. That said, extending the contracts of guys like Clark & Pawlett isn't filling me with great confidence. Does he really think these are the guys to take us forward?

GUNBOAT
18-04-2021, 04:26 PM
I'd certainly be disappointed. Have been looking forward to seeing what he can do when given the right tools for the job. That said, extending the contracts of guys like Clark & Pawlett isn't filling me with great confidence. Does he really think these are the guys to take us forward?

They were the only guys in Forfar who either scored or remotely looked like scoring which doesna say much about the rest of them to be honest.

GUNBOAT
18-04-2021, 04:38 PM
BTW if this happens we are turning into the Watford of northern Britain and that normally in the end takes you back to the Championship.
I feel really sorry for Micky that he may end up being the only manager in our history to play out a season without a fan in the stadium.Mind you looking on the bright side he never had to endure the abuse he almost certainly would have received fae The Brae/GF Stand,FACT.

AraBrian
18-04-2021, 04:47 PM

Don't know where you get these stats the stats on bbc site have possession 35%-65% shots 8-12 shots on target1-5 corners 4-5 goals 0-1.Wee jum struggled to beat forfar needing a goal near the end in replay last time we played them with a lot better team.Cup games can be dodgy and teams from lower leagues sometime raise their games while teams from higher leagues sometimes seem to lower their standards most important thing in any cup game is getting through performance is a bonus.Yeah partick could have beat us but they never as I said winning is all cups are about really what might have happened does not mean anything if we get beat in next round or semi or final then complaining about it would make more sense to me than complaining about us winning these two matchs.

AraBrian
18-04-2021, 05:02 PM
Don't know where you get these stats the stats on bbc site have possession 35%-65% shots 8-12 shots on target1-5 corners 4-5 goals 0-1.Wee jum struggled to beat forfar needing a goal near the end in replay last time we played them with a lot better team.Cup games can be dodgy and teams from lower leagues sometime raise their games while teams from higher leagues sometimes seem to lower their standards most important thing in any cup game is getting through performance is a bonus.Yeah partick could have beat us but they never as I said winning is all cups are about really what might have happened does not mean anything if we get beat in next round or semi or final then complaining about it would make more sense to me than complaining about us winning these two matchs.

Just checked stats for the rancid septic match possession 44-56 shots 9-16 shots on target 4-5 corners 3-6 goals 2-0looks like rancid were only ahead on goals their fans will be ragging against a team below them in the league and at home.

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 05:49 PM

Flashscores for my match stats. The BBC employ folk who still think the draw is to be made, so I don't pay too much attention to them.

I also dont really care what happened 30 odd years ago. It's irrelevant to what happened 2 days ago. Forfar was dire. Partick was dire. We should've been better.

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 05:51 PM
Just checked stats for the rancid septic match possession 44-56 shots 9-16 shots on target 4-5 corners 3-6 goals 2-0looks like rancid were only ahead on goals their fans will be ragging against a team below them in the league and at home.

Why would they be raging? They beat their nearest rivals and 2nd best team in the country. We were playing Forfar.

AraBrian
18-04-2021, 06:08 PM
Why would they be raging? They beat their nearest rivals and 2nd best team in the country. We were playing Forfar.

And we both moved on to last eight can only beat teams we are drawn against.Could be worse could have got beat be brora rangers rather than have beat forfar and partick.We are just not that good that we are going to play great every game I will always think winning comes before performance especially in cups will take getting played of the park if we win cup rather than playing teams of park and losing cup to be honest must admit watching these matchs has not been much fun only the result keeping me happy if we had lost either I would be moaning also.

tHeArAb
18-04-2021, 06:14 PM
And we both moved on to last eight can only beat teams we are drawn against.Could be worse could have got beat be brora rangers rather than have beat forfar and partick.We are just not that good that we are going to play great every game I will always think winning comes before performance especially in cups will take getting played of the park if we win cup rather than playing teams of park and losing cup to be honest must admit watching these matchs has not been much fun only the result keeping me happy if we had lost either I would be moaning also.

I'd take that as well mate, trust me. I just thought we'd maybe get a chance to see a better performing Utd since we were playing lower league opposition. If anything, we were worse. Both times. It was so f*cking disappointing.

JUSTaway
18-04-2021, 06:19 PM
I genuinely think we could have put out any team against Forfar and we'd have scrapped a result Friday, they are that poor (fair play they put up a decent show). Melon has done decent this season, I hope he is here next season, as we could do without disruption and he deserves the opportunity to put his stamp on the side, but don't have an issue with fans complaining about the display Friday, that was rank.

AraBrian
18-04-2021, 06:23 PM
I'd take that as well mate, trust me. I just thought we'd maybe get a chance to see a better performing Utd since we were playing lower league opposition. If anything, we were worse. Both times. It was so f*cking disappointing.

To be honest I was really pissed off watching both these games but a win few beers and a calm down and I am just glad we are still in cup.I am really happy with where we are in league and a cup run a bonus although not been a great season to watch.Hoping we are more entertaining next season but just happy with results this year.Really hoping the news about MM leaving is false and he can bring in another few like edwards and fuches get rid of mcnulty and bolton and a few others and hopefully some of young guys get more of a chance next season also.

GUNBOAT
21-04-2021, 10:21 PM
On Sunday a poster on here said he heard from a good source that Micky is away at the end of the season.I have heard today that it is down to nepotism.
To anyone wondering what i'm on about its all to do with the manager being asked to take on a coach who is a family member of someone in a powerful position at the club.
He has refused to do this and his relationship has broken down with this member of staff and he is indeed leaving.

Skolcorner
22-04-2021, 03:46 AM
If this is true then MM would be right to go. How can he (or any other Manager) tolerate a situation whereby player acquisition and coaching staff selection are taken out of his hands?
It makes me wonder if actual team selection is done in a similar way.
I wonder who actually picked last night's team against Killie.
If this was taken out of his hands then MM has been undermined.
Not only would this situation make it difficult for him to stay but would hardly be an attractive proposition for any future Manager. Unless of course there is someone already at our Club whose career progression is already outlined to take in the Manager/Head Coach role.
Against this background MM did a good job in keeping us up this season.

GUNBOAT
22-04-2021, 05:25 AM
I obviously don't know for definite that this is true but i'm not making it up it is what i have heard.What Skol above has mentioned is also something i have heard.ie our possible future manager is already at the club.
I hope this is all a load of nonsense,has anyone else heard anything about this?.

A. J
22-04-2021, 07:34 AM
Guessing it's Adam Ashgar, who's been at the club over 2 years and has the coaching badges

Jim_Jam
22-04-2021, 09:24 AM
This would be awful. Lets hope it's nonsense. How can we support a club that conducts business this way. Fan protest ahead if this is true.

BudMill90
22-04-2021, 09:28 AM
The truth is I've heard lots of different rumours about 'why' but the one consistent is that Mellon is away in the summer.

I've heard McInnes has been spoken to, I've heard Stevie Frail is taking over with TA's son moving into first team, I've heard the lad Courts is taking over. So not all of these can be true, but it might be true that these are all options that TA is thinking about should MM leave.

Of those 3, the obvious choice is McInnes. He isn't ideal but if its a toss up between him and the other two options then phuck me bring him in. I guess we'll find out come the summer. I'm 50/50 on Mellon, he has done his job, but its been horrific to watch. Would it have been a better watch with anyone else in charge? We'll never know. One thing is for sure, we need to bring in 3 or 4 players of real quality this summer, and I hope, whoever the manager is, they are given the chance to do that.

Jim_Jam
22-04-2021, 09:32 AM
I'm 100% behind Micky Mellon so I hope it is rubbish or it can be sorted.

BackRowArab
22-04-2021, 09:36 AM

Yip, we need to have a settled club for a couple of years

Shedboy1971
22-04-2021, 10:34 AM
Hope its not true i want him to stay for next season and hopefully beyond because he is successful. Until i hear stephen Pressley ruling himself out of the role i wont believe it ;)

Arabknight
22-04-2021, 11:53 AM

Hope too god some of these scenarios are rubbish. Being asked to take on family a member! Surely not. We are United? I want MM to stay get a window and hopefully off load some of the dead wood and see what he can do. He deserves that at the very least.

Shedboy1971
22-04-2021, 12:13 PM
Hope too god some of these scenarios are rubbish. Being asked to take on family a member! Surely not. We are United? I want MM to stay get a window and hopefully off load some of the dead wood and see what he can do. He deserves that at the very least.

if thats true i hope he leaves and says so. Ashgar wont last long if we all unite against that. But all heresay so unfair to think thats what happening unless anyone knows this for sure. i dont believe it but i do believe ashgar jnr has been earmarked for a step up and maybe thats where this is coming from. If so Micky has all our support here.

BackRowArab
22-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Need to remember that Ashgar isn't coming from no place, he is in charge of our Under 18s and does have a legit background himself. Its not like Tony's retarded son Blake is suddenly coming in and getting a job

Shedboy1971
22-04-2021, 12:24 PM
Need to remember that Ashgar isn't coming from no place, he is in charge of our Under 18s and does have a legit background himself. Its not like Tony's retarded son Blake is suddenly coming in and getting a job

i really hope he doesnt have a son called blake BR. fair enough Adam may be on the eve of something amazing but jesus it makes me cross if they hang MM out to dry.

BackRowArab
22-04-2021, 12:41 PM
i really hope he doesnt have a son called blake BR. fair enough Adam may be on the eve of something amazing but jesus it makes me cross if they hang MM out to dry.

I really hope he doesn't either! Just to clarify I in no way think, know or believe that Tony Ashgar has a son (or daughter) with any sort of disability. Any name used here was meant as fictitious and any correlation with anyone living or dead is purely coincidental

Shedboy1971
22-04-2021, 12:52 PM
I really hope he doesn't either! Just to clarify I in no way think, know or believe that Tony Ashgar has a son (or daughter) with any sort of disability. Any name used here was meant as fictitious and any correlation with anyone living or dead is purely coincidental

:heart:

BudMill90
22-04-2021, 02:06 PM
Adam Asghar is in his late 20's. If he is anywhere near the manager's role it will STINK. I don't doubt he has the knowledge/ability/coaching badges etc, but come on, if he was the next Mourinho he wouldna be at Utd.

I can get why MM wouldn't want him in his coaching team though (if that is true)... basically your bosses son working with you... not ideal. Leave him where he is please.

Shedboy1971
22-04-2021, 02:45 PM
Adam Asghar is in his late 20's. If he is anywhere near the manager's role it will STINK. I don't doubt he has the knowledge/ability/coaching badges etc, but come on, if he was the next Mourinho he wouldna be at Utd.

I can get why MM wouldn't want him in his coaching team though (if that is true)... basically your bosses son working with you... not ideal. Leave him where he is please.

yup agree - no chance

GUNBOAT
22-04-2021, 05:01 PM
Our no2 would become no1 and the youth guy would be no2 or 3.

offshore_arab83
23-04-2021, 12:36 PM
Wouldnt be sorry to see MM go and also wouldn't be sorry to see TA go either, his position and involvement isnt the norm and im not sure many managers would be happy working under him and him picking signings

strange set up

If McInnes did come in with Docherty then TA would need to take a big step to the side

Dreamsof83
23-04-2021, 01:02 PM
Although I understand your argument, I have the opposite opinion. Club is more like the club I recognise with a stronger identity and plan. Assets on the playing squad and in the academy. Mellon doing a decent job with hopefully more to come. TA has had a role in developing where we are now.

Hoping all the disquiet is just rumours. If not, worry we may shoot ourselves in the foot when we are actually onto a good thing.

Shedboy1971
23-04-2021, 02:44 PM
something tells me this isnt just rumours, how real and how far dunno but we will see anyway. Mellon doing a decent job with results overall. Some real bad moments and some strange signings (are they his?). Most of all some sh!te football. Id rather have some massive fvcker up front to punt the ball up to but in all seriousness cant see anyone not putting it out anyway. So realistically with the players aye he has pass marks. entertainment - nil.

shedka
23-04-2021, 03:01 PM
Would hope its not true but if its a mutual thing then we need to go for proven which is why McInnes or Robinson would be best if it does happen

However all this stuff is distracting, only matters if we are no longer in the cup come Sunday evening

GUNBOAT
23-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Would hope its not true but if its a mutual thing then we need to go for proven which is why McInnes or Robinson would be best if it does happen

However all this stuff is distracting, only matters if we are no longer in the cup come Sunday evening

The problem is if Mellon an experienced manager cannot work with Big Tony then NO other manager of his ilk will want to either and we will end up with an untested manager,youth coaches out of their depth in the first team dugout and the inevitable relegation to follow(Bookmark).

If what i have heard is true i would much rather Tony and his son were packing their bags than Micky.Unfortunately for me and the future of the club that will not happen.

cybershed
23-04-2021, 04:18 PM
I don't see where the love for McIness comes from.

His budget whilst at Aberdeen was substantial and he got them to where they should be given the size of the club. Only won one cup though. So he's competent, but no more than that.

He wouldn't get anywhere near the budget he had up there if he was our manager.

I think he's dour. And, apart from a couple of decent early years during his tenure, his teams played dour football. Just ask the sheep.

We don't know what a Mellon team looks like, because he's not had the budget or time to build it yet. But I reckon he's the man for us.

He needs backed financially though.

Also, if Micky feels that he needs TA to back off a bit, then that is exactly what should happen.

We need a happy manager that knows the club will back him in every way possible to get a good team on the park.

All this background noise and speculation is not good news for anyone who want United to get back to being a steady top six side reaching/winning cup finals in 'good years but not dropping below 6th in the league in a 'bad' year.

Arab59
23-04-2021, 05:57 PM
Guessing it's Adam Ashgar, who's been at the club over 2 years and has the coaching badges

Fans won't accept him coming in Ashgar has too much power at Utd and his son getting promoted to first team coach would be final nail for me

GUNBOAT
23-04-2021, 06:05 PM
Fans won't accept him coming in Ashgar has too much power at Utd and his son getting promoted to first team coach would be final nail for me

Its not that Tony wants his son as first team coach/manager.What i have heard is he is telling Mellon his son should move up from academy coach to the first team dugout and the manager has said he only wants his own guys he picks in there.

If this is true any manager coming in will have to accept the same terms so for anyone out there wanting McInnes you can forget it.

shedka
23-04-2021, 06:34 PM

His budget whilst at Aberdeen was substantial and he got them to where they should be given the size of the club. Only won one cup though. So he's competent, but no more than that.

I think he's dour. And, apart from a couple of decent early years during his tenure, his teams played dour football. Just ask the sheep.

We don't know what a Mellon team looks like, because he's not had the budget or time to build it yet. But I reckon he's the man for us.

Also, if Micky feels that he needs TA to back off a bit, then that is exactly what should happen.

We need a happy manager that knows the club will back him in every way possible to get a good team on the park.

All this background noise and speculation is not good news for anyone who want United to get back to being a steady top six side reaching/winning cup finals in 'good years but not dropping below 6th in the league in a 'bad' year.

There is no love, just an obvious good choice who would get us back to regular top 4-6 finishes, which is what we want, so would be a good choice for a few seasons

I agree he is overrated as had a huge budget at Aberdeen and his pick of players but he still rebuilt many times and got consistency, he managed to do a good job with St Johnstone on a wee budget and theyve never looked back ever since his time in charge

However all speculation with regards rumours etc

Whitfieldarab
23-04-2021, 07:16 PM

Good post. I'd take MM over DM any day of the week.

GUNBOAT
23-04-2021, 07:53 PM
Good post. I'd take MM over DM any day of the week.

Dinnie worry mate that is never happening IF big Tony and nepotism are calling the shots at Tannadice,FACT.

Dreamsof83
23-04-2021, 08:45 PM
Dinnie worry mate that is never happening IF big Tony and nepotism are calling the shots at Tannadice,FACT.

Still hoping it is exaggeration and rumours. Obviously don't know the strength of your source, and don't mean any offence. It is not the first time though that TA has ended up in the firing line with suspicions.

Don't get me wrong, if it is true then only one (maybe two) should be leaving and it is not MM. I am however willing to give the benefit of the doubt until there is clarity.

Whatever way it plays out, would rather something interesting were to happen....and that is not DM!

GUNBOAT
23-04-2021, 09:13 PM
Still hoping it is exaggeration and rumours. Obviously don't know the strength of your source, and don't mean any offence. It is not the first time though that TA has ended up in the firing line with suspicions.

Don't get me wrong, if it is true then only one (maybe two) should be leaving and it is not MM. I am however willing to give the benefit of the doubt until there is clarity.

Whatever way it plays out, would rather something interesting were to happen....and that is not DM!

Agree with every word mate,i sincerely hope its not true but the team for the Kilmarnock game from this source was correct from 1 to 11 which is incredible so i'm fairly sure there is something in it.

LSArab
24-04-2021, 05:26 AM
I really hope Micky stays and 100 % behind him and the team

Thought of someone like McInnes gives me the fear.

Also I’ve only just managed to finish Micky’s book so terrible if he left now !!

Shedboy1971
24-04-2021, 09:12 AM
getting MM for short term makes no sense at all. Regardless of the quality at times he is clearly building and working with what he has. if he goes because he refused to put someones son on coaching staff i hope he spills the beans. Tony wont last long. I think he may not be forced but if ashgar jnr is ready and he wants to thats fine but he cant be told surely.

tHeArAb
24-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Voiced my concerns about our set up a couple of months ago and some of these rumours are making me think I was right. What the actual f*ck is going on? If Mellon is being dictated to the point Asghar is promoting his young lad to the managers coaching staff then I wouldn't hold it against Mellon to walk out the door right now. Far too many rumours kicking about for something to not be going on.

Arabknight
24-04-2021, 04:26 PM
Pawlett to sign further 2 yr deal. Surely that means MM is going no where. He has been very vocal about wanting to keep Pawlett at United.

tHeArAb
24-04-2021, 04:32 PM
Pawlett to sign further 2 yr deal. Surely that means MM is going no where. He has been very vocal about wanting to keep Pawlett at United.

Means absolutely nothing imo. Harkes signed an extension in June when we were managerless. Connolly signed an extension in August, five weeks after MM was appointed having only watched him in training. The manager isn't the only one deciding on the signings at our club.

cybershed
24-04-2021, 04:35 PM

Interesting interpretation Arabknight. I agree it's a positive sign. But I would like to see more evidence that the club are going to give MM the support he needs and that he has a future at DUFC.

Arabknight
24-04-2021, 06:07 PM
Means absolutely nothing imo. Harkes signed an extension in June when we were managerless. Connolly signed an extension in August, five weeks after MM was appointed having only watched him in training. The manager isn't the only one deciding on the signings at our club.

I think your right in that the manager is not the only one deciding on signings. The difference here is MM has almost had a season and been vocal about his desire to keep pawlett, who if we are to believe is one of our highest earners, and has obviously had a say in this.

BackRowArab
24-04-2021, 08:41 PM
Wouldnt be sorry to see MM go and also wouldn't be sorry to see TA go either, his position and involvement isnt the norm and im not sure many managers would be happy working under him and him picking signings

strange set up

Look at world football, its not a strange set up. To say not many managers would be happy working under him, what you actually mean is no out of touch Scottish dinosaurs would be happy to work with him.

Its 2021, football has changed, its not 1981 any more. A manager saying to a sporting director/director of football "I need a left back, go get me one" while he concentrates on day to day coaching is a good thing.

cybershed
24-04-2021, 09:37 PM
I would prefer it if the manager said "I want to strengthen position x. Here's the name of three boys I reckon we could afford and that I'm confident that any one of which would upgrade our 1st team. Go get one of them."

Arabknight
25-04-2021, 08:25 AM
Look at world football, its not a strange set up. To say not many managers would be happy working under him, what you actually mean is no out of touch Scottish dinosaurs would be happy to work with him.

Its 2021, football has changed, its not 1981 any more. A manager saying to a sporting director/director of football "I need a left back, go get me one" while he concentrates on day to day coaching is a good thing.

I agree mate. Football and management has massively changed over the past 10 years or so. I remember RN when he first came to us commenting on TA position, and stating how much much he welcomed it because he could primarily concentrate on the day to day managing of the team.

darrenshedtastic
25-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Mission achieved with MM this season. He has done well to work with the issues he has had to deal with since coming in. The football hasn't been great but at the same time, Securing our place in the league was always the main aim. He does deserve next season to get the opportunity to improve on this.

however..... we all give him the benefit the of doubt regarding our style of play this season due to the tools he has to work with but given the amount of new deals we are handing out to players, next season's squad wont be too different from our current. The majority of the squad is likely to be there next season. Powers looks offski, Bolton/McNulty probably wont come back and if anyone gets sold (Benji/Shankland) look currently like the only changes. So maybe 2/3 new signings?

That doesn't give me any optimism regarding improving performances. Is he able to make these players play better? i dont know.

spikeontheright
25-04-2021, 09:29 AM

Can you tell me the qualifications Ashgar has for choosing players at a professional football club.

In fact, can you give me any reason why he should be running the show at our club other than he talks a good game.

JUSTaway
25-04-2021, 09:43 AM
I think he has done a decent job with a limited squad, my big reservations are the contract extensions we are handing out to players who are bottom 6 quality in my opinion. The football has been eye bleeding, but the priority this season was staying up, comparison might be Mixu's attempts at getting us to play like Barcelona and look where that finished.

Arabknight
25-04-2021, 09:50 AM
Can you tell me the qualifications Ashgar has for choosing players at a professional football club.

In fact, can you give me any reason why he should be running the show at our club other than he talks a good game.

I believe he has worked in the same role at other clubs and has a background as an agent which should mean he has decent contacts. However these contacts have failed to materialise this season. Next season is massive for both MM and TA If we are to see any of the progress that keeps hearing about. I think at best MM will bring in a couple of players, and any other changes will be made by the introduction of some of the academy lads. Like chalmers, Meekelson, k smith, Davidson, mochrie, Glass as well as hoti. Which on paper isn’t that bad.

ARAbCHNID
25-04-2021, 09:59 AM
After what's happened over the last 13 months the last thing we want at Tannadice is a summer of discontent. Over June/July we should be looking forward to starting to get back into the ground come August & then there's the Euros to look forward to. So the last thing we need is more nasty politics. Prefer the simple life.

Shedboy1971
25-04-2021, 10:06 AM
After what's happened over the last 13 months the last thing we want at Tannadice is a summer of discontent. Over June/July we should be looking forward to starting to get back into the ground come August & then there's the Euros to look forward to. So the last thing we need is more nasty politics. Prefer the simple life.

Anyone got any concrete evidence that mellon has no say on players? Seems weird he has been pushing the pp resign if not. Def something up though.

ARAbCHNID
25-04-2021, 10:31 AM
Anyone got any concrete evidence that mellon has no say on players? Seems weird he has been pushing the pp resign if not. Def something up though.

For the first time in many years I don't have a single confidant at Tannadice. So no concrete evidence from me I'm afraid S71. I'll deal with it by assuming there is no rift at all, it's all rumour mongering. But I must say Micky does look a bit cheesed off at times. Not that he was ever exactly laugh a minute, he does cut a dour demeanour at the best of times :( Hope he's wearing a smile the width of the Tay at 4.30 this afternoon tho :) C'mon UNITED!!!

Shedboy1971
25-04-2021, 10:51 AM
For the first time in many years I don't have a single confidant at Tannadice. So no concrete evidence from me I'm afraid S71. I'll deal with it by assuming there is no rift at all, it's all rumour mongering. But I must say Micky does look a bit cheesed off at times. Not that he was ever exactly laugh a minute, he does cut a dour demeanour at the best of times :( Hope he's wearing a smile the width of the Tay at 4.30 this afternoon tho :) C'mon UNITED!!!

Exactly be amazing what a win today would do. He does look cheesed off but then he is watching the same guff as us lol

BackRowArab
25-04-2021, 11:11 AM

What qualifications do you think he needs?

tHeArAb
25-04-2021, 11:31 AM
I think he has done a decent job with a limited squad, my big reservations are the contract extensions we are handing out to players who are bottom 6 quality in my opinion. The football has been eye bleeding, but the priority this season was staying up, comparison might be Mixu's attempts at getting us to play like Barcelona and look where that finished.
This is where I'm at. Given the squad he's been dealt with, MM has done a great job getting us where we are. My reservations are the extensions being handed out - does he seriously believe guys like Clark & Pawlett are the future? - and the bizarre tactical decisions, namely the squeezing in of 3 strikers which has proven time & time again not to work. I'd love to know just how much involvement TA has had in these extensions given that I firmly believe it was him who single handedly made the decision to extend Connolly & Harkes and had a very big say in the signing of Hoti.

tHeArAb
25-04-2021, 11:36 AM

He definitely has a say. To what extent I don't know. Edwards & Bolton were 100% MM signings. I fully believe that. Hoti, McNulty & Fuchs not so. Granted he took a look at the three mentioned once brought to the club, but I'm reckoning they were as good as done with or without the managers say so. The fact we previously tried to get Hoti & McNulty under the previous manager is what I base my assumptions on.

Jim_Jam
25-04-2021, 11:49 AM
I really hope Micky stays and 100 % behind him and the team

Thought of someone like McInnes gives me the fear.

Also I’ve only just managed to finish Micky’s book so terrible if he left now !!

Losing MM gives me the dread and he can't go yet as I need the incentive to finish reading his book!

Jim_Jam
25-04-2021, 11:53 AM
I'm sure Micky reads UnitedMad so can I say directly "Don't ferkin leave us - the journey has only started"

spikeontheright
25-04-2021, 11:54 AM
What qualifications do you think he needs?

A track record of unearthing promising players would be a good start.

spikeontheright
25-04-2021, 12:01 PM

Aye, because burying your head in the sand and ignoring what's going on always turns out well. The fact of the matter is that we have a sporting director who has no experience at a top class football club and one of his first appointments was his son, who also had no experience coaching at a top class club with elite players. Now it looks like he's trying to get his son operating at first team level.

Nothing to see here.

BackRowArab
25-04-2021, 12:07 PM
Aye, because burying your head in the sand and ignoring what's going on always turns out well. The fact of the matter is that we have a sporting director who has no experience at a top class football club and one of his first appointments was his son, who also had no experience coaching at a top class club with elite players. Now it looks like he's trying to get his son operating at first team level.

Nothing to see here.

Everyone has to start someplace, sorry we couldn't being in Ralph Rangnick or Txiki Begiristain, but you know we aren't a top class football club

Shedboy1971
25-04-2021, 12:49 PM
I'm sure Micky reads UnitedMad so can I say directly "Don't ferkin leave us - the journey has only started"

If he does Mickey the front 3 thing doesnt work what about Shanks and one other please? and clark is not a midfielder. (hope he proves me wrong at 14:30)

LSArab
25-04-2021, 03:31 PM
I think Micky has shown what he can do today.

MELLON MUST STAY

Come on United !!!

tHeArAb
25-04-2021, 03:35 PM
I think Micky has shown what he can do today.

MELLON MUST STAY

Come on United !!!

He has a very good cup record right throughout his career. It was one of the things that excited me most about his appointment.

Shedboy1971
25-04-2021, 03:48 PM
Didnt expect that performance. Ssbs are furious. Which is nice

Shedboy1971
25-04-2021, 03:48 PM
If he does Mickey the front 3 thing doesnt work what about Shanks and one other please? and clark is not a midfielder. (hope he proves me wrong at 14:30)

Well i look stupid eh lol ����������

GUNBOAT
26-04-2021, 06:03 PM
I hope the powers that be at Tannadice and in America noticed yesterday how a team at home with a much bigger budget than us were hammered with their new rookie manager both on and off the field by Mr Micky Mellon,FACT.

GUNBOAT
24-05-2021, 06:39 PM
On Sunday a poster on here said he heard from a good source that Micky is away at the end of the season.I have heard today that it is down to nepotism.
To anyone wondering what i'm on about its all to do with the manager being asked to take on a coach who is a family member of someone in a powerful position at the club.
He has refused to do this and his relationship has broken down with this member of staff and he is indeed leaving.

Found it and right enough its over a month ago.

tHeArAb
24-05-2021, 06:40 PM
Found it and right enough its over a month ago.

Was about to link you to this. 😂

GUNBOAT
24-05-2021, 06:43 PM
Was about to link you to this. ��

Cheers mate,i did think it was a good while ago though.Affshore must have been......Affshore or in Kenya.

offshore_arab83
24-05-2021, 06:52 PM
Cheers mate,i did think it was a good while ago though.Affshore must have been......Affshore or in Kenya.

Correct mate wasn’t here was oot the loop

GUNBOAT
25-05-2021, 02:20 PM
Its not that Tony wants his son as first team coach/manager.What i have heard is he is telling Mellon his son should move up from academy coach to the first team dugout and the manager has said he only wants his own guys he picks in there.

If this is true any manager coming in will have to accept the same terms so for anyone out there wanting McInnes you can forget it.

I never knew that i knew so much to be honest.

GUNBOAT
25-05-2021, 02:24 PM
I obviously don't know for definite that this is true but i'm not making it up it is what i have heard.What Skol above has mentioned is also something i have heard.ie our possible future manager is already at the club.
I hope this is all a load of nonsense,has anyone else heard anything about this?.

I posted the above on the 22nd of April and it seems pretty accurate now.

GUNBOAT
10-07-2021, 04:23 PM
Congratulations Micky well done.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7381914/tranmere-1-rangers-0-steven-gerrard-unhappy-homecoming-lose/

ahlltanyirhide
10-07-2021, 07:07 PM
Congratulations Micky well done.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7381914/tranmere-1-rangers-0-steven-gerrard-unhappy-homecoming-lose/

Fingers crossed it’s kunts one and only success, phukkin turncoat lying purrrick

Yeats 62
10-07-2021, 07:24 PM
Fingers crossed it’s kunts one and only success, phukkin turncoat lying purrrick

"We are Dindee Unitit" :D

Whitfieldarab
10-07-2021, 07:48 PM

You know something naebody else does?

ahlltanyirhide
10-07-2021, 07:58 PM
You know something naebody else does? No whitters, Just the utterance of the kunts name gets my phukkin back up, he’s a maggot spouting all his pish then turning his back on the club, nae time for kunts like that.

ahlltanyirhide
10-07-2021, 07:58 PM
"We are Dindee Unitit" :D

😡😡😡😡😡

Whitfieldarab
10-07-2021, 08:02 PM
No whitters, Just the utterance of the kunts name gets my phukkin back up, he’s a maggot spouting all his pish then turning his back on the club, nae time for kunts like that.

He turned his back on the club?

Yeats 62
10-07-2021, 08:08 PM
😡😡😡😡😡

At me, or at him??? :D

FTFun
10-07-2021, 08:10 PM
No whitters, Just the utterance of the kunts name gets my phukkin back up, he’s a maggot spouting all his pish then turning his back on the club, nae time for kunts like that.nothing to do with the baldy snake mk2 wanting him out to promote Tam and his laptop jockeys then?

ahlltanyirhide
10-07-2021, 09:48 PM
At me, or at him??? :D

The fruit mate defo not you 😂

ahlltanyirhide
10-07-2021, 09:52 PM
He turned his back on the club?

Yes he did, he lied to the support 5 days before he walked straight into another job, you think that was by chance?

JamesMcClean
10-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Yes he did, he lied to the support 5 days before he walked straight into another job, you think that was by chance?

We can’t possibly know that at this stage. Hopefully he will proved to be very wrong. Or he could prove to be very, very right a la Pedro’s infamous last press conference

Chick A Saw
10-07-2021, 10:12 PM
We can’t possibly know that at this stage. Hopefully he will proved to be very wrong. Or he could prove to be very, very right a la Pedro’s infamous last press conference

Did we actually get a last interview with MM where he could warn us of what was to come?

ahlltanyirhide
10-07-2021, 10:12 PM
nothing to do with the baldy snake mk2 wanting him out to promote Tam and his laptop jockeys then?

Listen to yirsel ‘baldy snake’ ‘laptop jockeys’

Ogren didn’t want to change the management team, he was forced to re visit the business plan because the pandemic severely phukked up the cash flow to see the original plan through. The new plan was put to the fruit and he asked for time to consider, then goes on tv giving it the big ‘I’m going nowhere’ yet a week later he’s at Tranmere.

Now the revisited plan sees the ramping up of bringing through young lads in an effort to hopefully sell some on to help balance the books, and god forbid mibbee even make a small profit.

This is what will help keep our club alive, yes there are risks, but the Ogrens, Asghar and the coaches have succeeded in getting us promoted then keeping us up, that’s the first two years of the plan ticked off and now we move into the third year where we will hopefully see a consolidation in the league and decent runs in the cups. So far, we’ve played one competitive game and won it so that’s a perfect start, and yet here we are with supporters chucking spears at the very people who are in a position to keep driving the club forward, it’s phukkin incredible.

Chick A Saw
10-07-2021, 10:26 PM

Ogren didn’t want to change the management team, he was forced to re visit the business plan because the pandemic severely phukked up the cash flow to see the original plan through. The new plan was put to the fruit and he asked for time to consider, then goes on tv giving it the big ‘I’m going nowhere’ yet a week later he’s at Tranmere.

Now the revisited plan sees the ramping up of bringing through young lads in an effort to hopefully sell some on to help balance the books, and god forbid mibbee even make a small profit.

This is what will help keep our club alive, yes there are risks, but the Ogrens, Asghar and the coaches have succeeded in getting us promoted then keeping us up, that’s the first two years of the plan ticked off and now we move into the third year where we will hopefully see a consolidation in the league and decent runs in the cups. So far, we’ve played one competitive game and won it so that’s a perfect start, and yet here we are with supporters chucking spears at the very people who are in a position to keep driving the club forward, it’s phukkin incredible.

Find it strange that i have only seen one person come out with this MM is the dunt in all of this line. Please remind me of who else has said the same, but that is 2 managers who have met the targets made of them with basically the same squad, and they are no longer here for whatever reason.

shedka
10-07-2021, 10:41 PM

Excellent post, best on the board in ages

Especially the bit about Ogren and the plans changing due to covid, things would be very different and better for us in different circumstances

Chick A Saw
10-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Excellent post, best on the board in ages

Especially the bit about Ogren and the plans changing due to covid, things would be very different and better for us in different circumstances

How much truth is there in that post you are replying to though? Ive only seen Altans narrative written here, but i have been told the same as GB brought to us from several other sources.

Arabdownsouth
11-07-2021, 12:07 AM
How much truth is there in that post you are replying to though? Ive only seen Altans narrative written here, but i have been told the same as GB brought to us from several other sources.

Sometimes the truth is only what someone wants it to be. I do however think that writing FACT after it does make it far more trustworthy 😂

A. J
11-07-2021, 05:48 AM

I hope we do consolidate and hope TC works out but I disagree with the majority of your post.
We are not the only club affected by covid but whilst our rivals are recruiting tried and tested, we're bringing through untested potential.

We went up cos of shanklands goals, his goals dried up due to the lack of service from Mellon's set up and style of play but luckily we stayed up partially due to that set up, partially because other teams couldn't finish us off in games but mostly due to Benji's saves, one or both of Shanks and Benji may not be here for this season.
We will probably never know the real reason Mellon went other than he wasn't a fit for future plans, tbh his style of football want a good fit for us but the results for our 1st season back were.

We're now in the position where we have big financial problems, it can't help that we extended contracts of injury prone and/or players who perform every 1 in 5 games, or signing oap's, authorised by MO & the big man.
I don't see this being offset by cashing in on our 2 biggest assets as they will likely move on for a lot less than they should.
We are facing a new season with untested, unproven young players, assisted by injury prone/ aging/unreliable players.
There's already arguments between senior players and our rookie coach.

Personally I'm looking forward to going back every week, it's just the leaving after getting humped I'm dreading.

But hey we won a game against a team 3 tiers below us who were newly promoted to the league, onwards we march !!

TerryTheTerror
11-07-2021, 07:11 AM
Find it strange that i have only seen one person come out with this MM is the dunt in all of this line. Please remind me of who else has said the same, but that is 2 managers who have met the targets made of them with basically the same squad, and they are no longer here for whatever reason.

I find it pretty difficult to believe when MM left he never knew he was going back to Tranmere. It was a few days later he did his first press interview with them.

ARAbCHNID
11-07-2021, 07:58 AM
FWIW here's my handle...Every new season is a fascination & never moreso than this one. It was a joy being at a game for the first time in 16 months, it felt almost surreal & I can't wait for the coming week & months. Yes, we've gone left field in the management appointments but how successful have the recent conventional appointments been? We avoided a massive banana skin on Friday, the pressure on us winning that game was intense, had we lost the forums would have crashed with toxicity, it doesn't bear thinking about. So I remain positive, why be anything else? If things don't go according to plan I'll put my hand up but I find it a much more enjoyable approach. The majority on the forums are spewing but I'm not & can enjoy my porage this morning.

GUNBOAT
11-07-2021, 08:19 AM
FWIW here's my handle...Every new season is a fascination & never moreso than this one. It was a joy being at a game for the first time in 16 months, it felt almost surreal & I can't wait for the coming week & months. Yes, we've gone left field in the management appointments but how successful have the recent conventional appointments been? We avoided a massive banana skin on Friday, the pressure on us winning that game was intense, had we lost the forums would have crashed with toxicity, it doesn't bear thinking about. So I remain positive, why be anything else? If things don't go according to plan I'll put my hand up but I find it a much more enjoyable approach. The majority on the forums are spewing but I'm not & can enjoy my porage this morning.

What do you mean by the majority on the forums are spewing?.If you have read the Kelty thread before during and after the match i cannie remember one poster on THIS board who was spewing because United had won.

Whitfieldarab
11-07-2021, 08:39 AM

I was told by a club sponsor that the main reason Mellon left was because TA told MM that he wouldn't be bringing his own players in and this was the straw that broke the camel's back,it made his position untenable so they parted ways. I don't blame him for leaving one bit and going back to club where he can run things on the playing side on his terms.

Who actually gets blame if things go wrong on the park at a club that ls being run like ours? The guy that brings in the players or the guy that can't coach these players?

GUNBOAT
11-07-2021, 08:42 AM
Who actually gets blame if things go wrong on the park at a club that ls being run like ours? The guy that brings in the players or the guy that can't coach these players?

Anybody bar The Big Man seems to be the general consensus.

AraBrian
11-07-2021, 09:20 AM
I was told by a club sponsor that the main reason Mellon left was because TA told MM that he wouldn't be bringing his own players in and this was the straw that broke the camel's back,it made his position untenable so they parted ways. I don't blame him for leaving one bit and going back to club where he can run things on the playing side on his terms.

By what I have read on here over the last while think TA gets the blame for everything if it goes wrong or not by majority of posters on here. Don't know if that goes for majority of utd fans though might or might not.If turns out tam can't do his job think the blame will be spread over board who appointed him TA MO for trying it out and failing it either works or fails lot of people had it as failing before tam was even appointed lets just hope they were wrong and tam is a success then we are all winners.:)

ARAbCHNID
11-07-2021, 09:31 AM
What do you mean by the majority on the forums are spewing?.If you have read the Kelty thread before during and after the match i cannie remember one poster on THIS board who was spewing because United had won.

Not spewing cos we won (tho a few on EF maybe) spewing in general I meant. Tho there were still derogatory comments about us not winning 5-0 with six new signings debuting on the night.
There is no denying that there is a large majority on the forums who have thrown in the towel before a ball being kicked in anger.

shed-buoy
11-07-2021, 09:44 AM
Not spewing cos we won (tho a few on EF maybe) spewing in general I meant. Tho there were still derogatory comments about us not winning 5-0 with six new signings debuting on the night.
There is no denying that there is a large majority on the forums who have thrown in the towel before a ball being kicked in anger.

Possibly a large majority on the boards who are unhappy, the majority of season ticket holders I know are looking forward to another season with derbies and a return to live matches.

TerryTheTerror
11-07-2021, 09:54 AM

What your need to remember is you get all the nutters online (I mean look at me 🙂). Things get said that would never be uttered in a face to face conversion.

AraBrian
11-07-2021, 09:54 AM
Possibly a large majority on the boards who are unhappy, the majority of season ticket holders I know are looking forward to another season with derbies and a return to live matches.

Agree with this utd supporters I know are all looking forward to new season like usual hoping it is a success but worried it is not like any other season.Don't go on other boards so not sure what they are like but just seems there are some who worry more about next season on here which probably takes away from their enjoyment but everyone is different and some people just enjoy a good moan.

TerryTheTerror
11-07-2021, 09:55 AM
Spot on Brian.

Arabdownsouth
11-07-2021, 10:02 AM
Agree with this utd supporters I know are all looking forward to new season like usual hoping it is a success but worried it is not like any other season.Don't go on other boards so not sure what they are like but just seems there are some who worry more about next season on here which probably takes away from their enjoyment but everyone is different and some people just enjoy a good moan.

One poster on EF, the appropriately named Arabinblack is a truly sombre soul, I have to wonder how he manages to drag his arse out of bed in the morning 😂

Chick A Saw
11-07-2021, 10:33 AM
I find it pretty difficult to believe when MM left he never knew he was going back to Tranmere. It was a few days later he did his first press interview with them.

Although i am minded the same, i can also see its hardly a convoluted recruitment process for either side when MM is a fans favourite and shares the vision that the owner has for the club. I highly doubt that the owner is telling MM that player 18, 19, 20 has to be in the squad because we need an extra 50 quid in the bank!

Chick A Saw
11-07-2021, 10:35 AM
Sometimes the truth is only what someone wants it to be. I do however think that writing FACT after it does make it far more trustworthy 😂

Next you will be wanting me to believe you are not an argumentative dunt at times! Meant in the best possible taste!

AraBrian
11-07-2021, 11:01 AM
One poster on EF, the appropriately named Arabinblack is a truly sombre soul, I have to wonder how he manages to drag his arse out of bed in the morning ��

Yeah we are all different mate some people in life just aint happy.Others are happy enough usually but just go to the football for a good moan takes all sorts. :)

ahlltanyirhide
11-07-2021, 12:49 PM

Not sure what you mean by ‘how much truth is there in that post’

Are you disputing the pandemic happened and phukked up the business plan?
Do you think I’ve made up the fact that the club have been forced into a change of business plan as there is precious little cash flow coming into the club?
Am I lying that the fruit went on tv and said ‘ah’ll no be going anywhere’ then gets announced as Tranmere’s manager days later?
Do you not think the the fruit’s behaviour should not be classed as a turncoat?
Did I just dream that TWFDUFC are undefeated in competitive football this season?

shedka
11-07-2021, 02:38 PM

Do you think I’ve made up the fact that the club have been forced into a change of business plan as there is precious little cash flow coming into the club?
Am I lying that the fruit went on tv and said ‘ah’ll no be going anywhere’ then gets announced as Tranmere’s manager days later?
Did I just dream that TWFDUFC are undefeated in competitive football this season?

You are spot on, not only that, every club was affected different, some clubs have come out of it better as some were struggling at the time and had a chance to reset, our circumstance at the time of covid was a club on the up, good vibe, ready for promotion which would have saw record breaking season tickets sales and maybe biggest average since the late 80s or maybe mid 90s, would have saw a big increase in income, no manager change and strengthening more than we did for our first season back

Instead we had to go through legal battles, lost or manager, had to replace with little time to prepare, only finding out late on we would definitely be in the prem

Despite this the new unknown manager guided us to comfortable finish albeit playing turgid style

It's almost like all of this is forgotten and football fans have short memories, we've had two positive seasons in a row despite the pandemic but the strategy for us was really affected by unforeseen circumstances that could never have been predicted

BudMill90
11-07-2021, 02:41 PM
The thing I hate most about MM is that his name is spelt wrong on the thread title!

Chick A Saw
11-07-2021, 05:40 PM

Are you sure of your timeline of events? Do you have it as gospel the Ogrens/TA came up with a new plan?

My opinion is that things turned bad between Ogrens/TA and Neilson before his departure, then started turning bad for MM when he started setting up the team to meet the no1 objective which was staying up. For that reason, i dont think the Ogrens/TA have re-assessed a plan for the reason of Covid, i just think they reinforced their desire that the plan should be followed no matter what, where MM raised his concerns and the only thing they agreed on was a parting of the ways was the best course of action.

You really do seem to be hung up on MM jumping into the old job so quickly, but he made no secret of the relationship between himself and the Tranmere owner, and im sure they have kept in touch over the last year. If MM had any suspicions whatsoever that the end was in sight, im sure he would have told the Tranmere owner this, and im sure MM was fully aware of the direction his old boss was taking their beloved Tranmere!

You seem to have totally ignored the manager/head coach contribution to our recent success in your last bit, and while Ogrens put up the money and TA does his bit, its the manager/head coach that day to day has to prepare the team to meet the demands of so many.

stokearab
11-07-2021, 05:46 PM
Are you sure of your timeline of events? Do you have it as gospel the Ogrens/TA came up with a new plan?

My opinion is that things turned bad between Ogrens/TA and Neilson before his departure, then started turning bad for MM when he started setting up the team to meet the no1 objective which was staying up. For that reason, i dont think the Ogrens/TA have re-assessed a plan for the reason of Covid, i just think they reinforced their desire that the plan should be followed no matter what, where MM raised his concerns and the only thing they agreed on was a parting of the ways was the best course of action.

You really do seem to be hung up on MM jumping into the old job so quickly, but he made no secret of the relationship between himself and the Tranmere owner, and im sure they have kept in touch over the last year. If MM had any suspicions whatsoever that the end was in sight, im sure he would have told the Tranmere owner this, and im sure MM was fully aware of the direction his old boss was taking their beloved Tranmere!

You seem to have totally ignored the manager/head coach contribution to our recent success in your last bit, and while Ogrens put up the money and TA does his bit, its the manager/head coach that day to day has to prepare the team to meet the demands of so many.

Don't know all that went on but I do know from a decent source that MM had an open offer to return to Tranmere. It wasn't an overnight offer like RN

My guess and it's only a guess, is that M was being asked questions he didn't like despite the results, beginning to fall out with TA (Hoti and more, eg playing youth he felt weren't ready) and it came to it's natural conclusion when MM stuck to fingers up.

Chick A Saw
11-07-2021, 05:53 PM

So further to the other reply,

By feck the pandemic did happen,
Do you have it as gospel there has been a change of plan, or forceful reminder of what the ORIGINAL plan is?
Yes he was on TV, and yes he did go BACK to his old boss and friend, but i dont think its as cut and dried or filled with conspiracies as you think.
Not turncoat, just a family man looking after his financial future.

1 game in a cup that some still consider as pre-season, against Kelty Hearts that we scraped a 1-0 win, and its a reason to be cheerful! Next you will be asking to judge our success at Christmas!

Chick A Saw
11-07-2021, 06:02 PM
Don't know all that went on but I do know from a decent source that MM had an open offer to return to Tranmere. It wasn't an overnight offer like RN

My guess and it's only a guess, is that M was being asked questions he didn't like despite the results, beginning to fall out with TA (Hoti and more, eg playing youth he felt weren't ready) and it came to it's natural conclusion when MM stuck to fingers up.

Thats really the whole point though stoke, but as not one of us were there, we really do not know what the hell did happen! Think it was widely known when MM arrived that he had the open Tranmere offer, and i wasnt surprised he went back for his 3rd(?) spell as manager!

In both cases, i think Neilson and MM had similar issues which previous employers were aware of, which took the pressure out of the decisions to be made when the time came.

ahlltanyirhide
11-07-2021, 06:09 PM

Erm, which bit of the Ogrens, TA and the COACHES did you not read?

Chick A Saw
11-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Erm, which bit of the Ogrens, TA and the COACHES did you not read?

I do apologize, but i have this romantic idea that Managers and Head Coaches deserve a specific mention as recognition of their position, not just another coach!>;)

Arabdownsouth
11-07-2021, 06:54 PM
Next you will be wanting me to believe you are not an argumentative dunt at times! Meant in the best possible taste!

I'm actually an amazing and wonderful guy to be around, honest! 😂😂

Arabdownsouth
11-07-2021, 06:56 PM
Yeah we are all different mate some people in life just aint happy.Others are happy enough usually but just go to the football for a good moan takes all sorts. :)

I'm sure he's probably not as miserable as I suggested but his outlook as far as United are concerned does give off a whiff of depression 😂

ahlltanyirhide
11-07-2021, 07:59 PM
I do apologize, but i have this romantic idea that Managers and Head Coaches deserve a specific mention as recognition of their position, not just another coach!>;)

A manager probably would, but the fruit was anything but

Re the plan, if it wasn’t changed then why did the fruit decide he couldn’t go along with it? It was a good enough when he took the job on, or did his thinking change when his mate at Tranmere gave him a call, either way in my book he’s a kunt

FTFun
11-07-2021, 08:19 PM
A manager probably would, but the fruit was anything but

Re the plan, if it wasn’t changed then why did the fruit decide he couldn’t go along with it? It was a good enough when he took the job on, or did his thinking change when his mate at Tranmere gave him a call, either way in my book he’s a kunt Listen to yirsel "the fruit"

ahlltanyirhide
12-07-2021, 05:02 PM
Listen to yirsel "the fruit"

Get yir ain gags matey 🖕

BudMill90
12-07-2021, 05:21 PM
I'm sure he's probably not as miserable as I suggested but his outlook as far as United are concerned does give off a whiff of depression 😂

Mate I mean this in the nicest possible way, you need to stop with those kind of statements.