PDA

View Full Version : Dindee Hibs/united centenary?

Teddy Bear
24-06-2021, 05:11 PM
Saw an interesting tweet about yur name change. Dundee Courier editorial in May 1923 'Too Many Irish in Scotland', the paper's commentary on the notorious Church of Scotland assembly report 'The Menace of the Irish Race.'

Later that year, the new board of Dundee Hibernian FC voted to change the club's name to Dundee United.

From a reply someone wrote that this newspaper refused to employ catholic’s for many years too. Not quite as long as rangers shamefully did but equally as discriminatory.

As for the name change, I read it was to open up to a wider group of people which seems like a good reason to me. Also sounds pretty cool with both Dundee and United having the same amount of letters. City just wouldnt have had the same ring to it.

I expect there will be some kind of centenary to mark the change in name next season?

GUNBOAT
24-06-2021, 06:54 PM
You are correct in your OP that Dee C Thomson's were a masonic institution allied to this city's masonic club and would not employ Irish or Scottish catholics.

ahlltanyirhide
25-06-2021, 04:16 PM
Saw an interesting tweet about yur name change. Dundee Courier editorial in May 1923 'Too Many Irish in Scotland', the paper's commentary on the notorious Church of Scotland assembly report 'The Menace of the Irish Race.'

Later that year, the new board of Dundee Hibernian FC voted to change the club's name to Dundee United.

From a reply someone wrote that this newspaper refused to employ catholic’s for many years too. Not quite as long as rangers shamefully did but equally as discriminatory.

As for the name change, I read it was to open up to a wider group of people which seems like a good reason to me. Also sounds pretty cool with both Dundee and United having the same amount of letters. City just wouldnt have had the same ring to it.

I expect there will be some kind of centenary to mark the change in name next season?

I’m sure there will be so form of recognition changing from Hibernian to United but don’t think it will be anything overboard.

Dread to think of the celebrations your set of phukkwits will throw in 92 years time to celebrate your centenary year

Shedboy1971
25-06-2021, 05:01 PM
I’m sure there will be so form of recognition changing from Hibernian to United but don’t think it will be anything overboard.

Dread to think of the celebrations your set of phukkwits will throw in 92 years time to celebrate your centenary year

XD

Whitfieldarab
25-06-2021, 05:42 PM

XDXDXD brilliant

Yeats 62
25-06-2021, 06:21 PM

Things never change :D

Teddy Bear
27-06-2021, 10:32 AM

Haha good one!

Is it just 8 years since we rebranded?

Thought it was more.

Hard to believe we are officially recognised as the old club.

In my opinion we only have the same amount of league wins as Third Lanark & Dundee United…. But that will change ;)

ahlltanyirhide
27-06-2021, 06:36 PM
Haha good one!

Thought it was more.

Hard to believe we are officially recognised as the old club.

In my opinion we only have the same amount of league wins as Third Lanark & Dundee United…. But that will change ;)

It’s not an opinion if it’s fact though is it?

You’ll know when you are supporting a big club with real history once they have won every honour in Scottish Football.

Jim_Jam
27-06-2021, 06:57 PM

REBRANDED???

No no I think if you check you went int liquidation!

Nothing to do with rebranding Teddy.

Maybe you rebranded in your dreams.