PDA

View Full Version : England v Italy Euro 2020 Final

outwoodclaret
09-07-2021, 06:51 AM
Well you’ve had a fabulous holiday. The bags are packed, you’ve waved goodbye and the taxi is booked. All that remains is that final journey home. It is coming home isn’t it? There is nothing to stop you on the way to the airport except for a road block manned by Captain Chiellini and his boys in blue. Just put on “Sweet Caroline” and relax. What can possibly go wrong?

Well let’s consider Italy first. They are on an unbeaten run of 33 games with a current winning streak of 14 matches. Roberto Mancini and his orchestra won all their group fixtures before disposing of Austria, Belgium and Spain in the knockout stages. They have Donnarumma in the nets. Chiellini and his sparring partner Bonucci in defence -a partnership that reminds me of Gentile and Scirea in the 1982 World Cup Final. A midfield bristling with the talent of Locatelli, Jorginho and Verratti. Up front the more than mobile Immobile, the diminutive Insigne and the predatory Chiesa. Can they be beaten? Spain as to be expected pushed them all the way in a thrilling semi-final but Austria also took them to extra time losing narrowly 2-1.

Can England now do in front of a raucous Wembley what both Spain and Belgium failed to do? I think we can all but name the England line-up now. Ten places are certain just as it was for our opening group game v Croatia. Who gets that final shirt? Saka? Sancho? England expects that every man will do his duty. Italy will be favourites and rightly so. This is by no means England’s greatest team but they have battled their way to the final without ever reaching the heights.

Will this be 1966 again or 1066? A nation awaits.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2021, 07:05 AM
Super pre-match appraisal outwood.

Buckle in, tighten your belts, because this promises to be one heck of a roller coaster ride. :O

outwoodclaret
09-07-2021, 07:22 AM
Tbh BT as if the Italians aren’t going to be hard enough to beat (and I was thinking Boudicca and a few of her wheeled chariots wouldn’t come amiss) when I wrote the original article I typed road block as a single word. This is what appeared ro*******. FFS.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2021, 07:43 AM
Some of these banned words mystify me outwood.

Why a-d-b-lock? :confused:

ClaretinBudapest
09-07-2021, 08:56 AM
England 1 Italy 3

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2021, 09:18 AM
England 1 Italy 3

England 3 v Italy 0.

sinkov
09-07-2021, 09:24 AM
Cracking preview Outwood, worthy of the final. You said Italy would be favourites, I would have thought so too, but they're not. To win the thing England are 4/5, Italy 1/1. At those prices my money would be going on Italy, but as it's already on Italy @ 11/1, I'm having a small bet on England just to cover my stake and make it a free bet on Italy.

outwoodclaret
09-07-2021, 10:54 AM
Cracking preview Outwood, worthy of the final. You said Italy would be favourites, I would have thought so too, but they're not. To win the thing England are 4/5, Italy 1/1. At those prices my money would be going on Italy, but as it's already on Italy @ 11/1, I'm having a small bet on England just to cover my stake and make it a free bet on Italy.

On their form in this tournament Italy would be odds on in my book sinkov but I am no betting man. I am English though through and through and could almost wish for Henry V to be in that changing room before battle commences crying “God for Harry, England and St George!”.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2021, 11:01 AM
I'm going with, "“God for Harry Slabhead, England and St George!”.

outwoodclaret
09-07-2021, 12:15 PM
I'm going with, "“God for Harry Slabhead, England and St George!”.

I was thinking Captain Harry Kane BT but any Harry scoring will do. If only we had a Tom or Dick to call on as well, eh what?

Supersub6
09-07-2021, 01:04 PM
Usual great preview outwood.
I just hope that the three teams involved perform to their capabilities no matter what the result ---as long as England win!

Referee: Björn Kuipers (NED)
Assistant Referee 1: Sander van Roekel (NED)
Assistant Referee 2: Erwin Zeinstra (NED)
Fourth Official: Carlos del Cerro Grande (ESP)
Fifth Official: Juan Carlos Yuste Jiménez (ESP)
Video Assistant Referee: Bastian Dankert (GER)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee 1:Pol van Boekel (NED)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee 2: Christian Gittelmann (GER)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee 3: Marco Fritz (GER)

The Bedlington Terrier
09-07-2021, 03:05 PM
I just hope that the three teams involved perform to their capabilities no matter what the result ---as long as England win!

F*cking hell Supersub6 I can still remember when one guy equipped with a whistle and aided by two linesmen managed to referee a game. :blue:

Supersub6
09-07-2021, 03:09 PM
F*cking hell Supersub6 I can still remember when one guy equipped with a whistle and aided by two linesmen managed to referee a game. :blue:

Oh yes BT and the above doesn't even include the UEFA observer and his boss!
A total of 11 officials have been involved in every match at the Euros Tournament ---unbelievable!

sinkov
09-07-2021, 09:01 PM

All that crew and they still get plenty wrong. I watch non league with just a ref and his two liners, rarely any controversy, they manage quite well just the three of them.

Incidentally Sub, Hurst Green v Clitheroe last night and there were two girlies running the line, first time I've seen that. The eldest one was OK, but the youngest one looked terrified, I suspect it was her first game .

army88
10-07-2021, 05:02 AM
Well you’ve had a fabulous holiday. The bags are packed, you’ve waved goodbye and the taxi is booked. All that remains is that final journey home. It is coming home isn’t it? There is nothing to stop you on the way to the airport except for a road block manned by Captain Chiellini and his boys in blue. Just put on “Sweet Caroline” and relax. What can possibly go wrong?

Well let’s consider Italy first. They are on an unbeaten run of 33 games with a current winning streak of 14 matches. Roberto Mancini and his orchestra won all their group fixtures before disposing of Austria, Belgium and Spain in the knockout stages. They have Donnarumma in the nets. Chiellini and his sparring partner Bonucci in defence -a partnership that reminds me of Gentile and Scirea in the 1982 World Cup Final. A midfield bristling with the talent of Locatelli, Jorginho and Verratti. Up front the more than mobile Immobile, the diminutive Insigne and the predatory Chiesa. Can they be beaten? Spain as to be expected pushed them all the way in a thrilling semi-final but Austria also took them to extra time losing narrowly 2-1.

Can England now do in front of a raucous Wembley what both Spain and Belgium failed to do? I think we can all but name the England line-up now. Ten places are certain just as it was for our opening group game v Croatia. Who gets that final shirt? Saka? Sancho? England expects that every man will do his duty. Italy will be favourites and rightly so. This is by no means England’s greatest team but they have battled their way to the final without ever reaching the heights.

Will this be 1966 again or 1066? A nation awaits.

I have a sneaky suspicion that England will come of age in this game , yes the Italians are fluent and a decent side , but so are we and we have a lot of weapons to hurt a very ageing back line , I think
This will be a good game and it’s really hard to call based on previous games etc , the difference is this is a final and anything can happen, you don’t need to go back too far just ask the Greeks .

One of the best things to happen to our country in some time if we can win , we can be kings of Europe whilst really I mean really upsetting merkel and the French in one foul swoop - Brilliant

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2021, 06:39 AM
Brexit exonerated. Merkel and Macron put back in their boxes. Come on England! O:)

sinkov
10-07-2021, 09:03 AM
I thank the Premier League and the SKY TV money for getting us to this final. In the past we've been frightened to death of the Brazilians, the Spanish, the Italians, they were just better footballers than us, and our lads knew it. Not any more, most of this England team have now been playing with and against the best players in the world on a regular basis for most of their careers, they know them, they know they're as good as them, the Italians hold no fear for Maguire, Kane, Sterling, Shaw, Walker, Stones, Foden, Saka etc, they play as good and better every week in the PL. Italy at Wembley ? Bring it on. Thank you SKY. O:)

The Bedlington Terrier
10-07-2021, 09:46 AM
I thank the Premier League and the SKY TV money for getting us to this final. In the past we've been frightened to death of the Brazilians, the Spanish, the Italians, they were just better footballers than us, and our lads knew it. Not any more, most of this England team have now been playing with and against the best players in the world on a regular basis for most of their careers, they know them, they know they're as good as them, the Italians hold no fear for Maguire, Kane, Sterling, Shaw, Walker, Stones, Foden, Saka etc, they play as good and better every week in the PL. Italy at Wembley ? Bring it on. Thank you SKY. O:)

Weighing this game up in the cold light of day, Italy have five potential match winners, England have seven, plus a huge home advantage.

The injury to Spinazzola may have ruined the Italians chances, let's hope so. ;D

Supersub6
10-07-2021, 01:35 PM
All that crew and they still get plenty wrong. I watch non league with just a ref and his two liners, rarely any controversy, they manage quite well just the three of them.

Incidentally Sub, Hurst Green v Clitheroe last night and there were two girlies running the line, first time I've seen that. The eldest one was OK, but the youngest one looked terrified, I suspect it was her first game .

That is good to see, provided that they are allowed to get on with the job and are not subject to idiotic comments ---sadly, this may well not happen!
We have several young ladies involved in the Northern League and they are quite good and certainly manage to handle everything thrown at them, in fact, they need to be encouraged because many lads and lasses are recruited but many do not stand the pace and pack it in very quickly and we experience a lot of shortages.

sinkov
10-07-2021, 08:40 PM
That is good to see, provided that they are allowed to get on with the job and are not subject to idiotic comments ---sadly, this may well not happen!
We have several young ladies involved in the Northern League and they are quite good and certainly manage to handle everything thrown at them, in fact, they need to be encouraged because many lads and lasses are recruited but many do not stand the pace and pack it in very quickly and we experience a lot of shortages.

They should be OK at this level round here Sub, refs and liners get told in no uncertain terms when the fans think they've made a mistake, but it doesn't descend to personal abuse, just the usual polite suggestions that they might benefit from a visit to Specsavers etc. We occasionally get a female ref, although it must be a couple of years since the last one, and no one bats an eyelid, players or fans, the players moderate their language a bit, but that's all.

Supersub6
10-07-2021, 09:26 PM
They should be OK at this level round here Sub, refs and liners get told in no uncertain terms when the fans think they've made a mistake, but it doesn't descend to personal abuse, just the usual polite suggestions that they might benefit from a visit to Specsavers etc. We occasionally get a female ref, although it must be a couple of years since the last one, and no one bats an eyelid, players or fans, the players moderate their language a bit, but that's all.

Great stuff! Up here, I reckon it's the female ref or assistant ref that moderate their language just to be on the safe side!

warminsterclaret
10-07-2021, 10:39 PM
Normally following England means "here we go again", and not in a good way. This time I'm feeling quite relaxed. We've finally beaten (West) Germany in a KO game when I thought a defeat on penalties was coming our way. Soft pen against Denmark? Who gives a sh!t? Thierry Henri was quite happy to cheat and we just got a break. Which is worse? They have given us pizza, I'd rather have steak and kidney pudding.

Norder
11-07-2021, 12:47 AM

Here's hoping for a Clean Match.....no dogdy decisions or sneaky shenanigans - cos if there is, going the Italy way....then there's many that won't have place to complain.

https://media.tenor.com/images/a0cf0cd11f5bcd9e4f41980f4a249f76/tenor.gif

XD

sinkov
11-07-2021, 08:29 AM
All this whining about dodgy pens for England. Remember this,

(b)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5rbyzBP2g&ab_channel=FootballCult(/b)

I don't recall any great wave of sympathy from our friends in Europe back then, so man up you moaning Danish tosspots and live with it.

Supersub6
11-07-2021, 10:03 AM
All this whining about dodgy pens for England. Remember this,

(b)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5rbyzBP2g&ab_channel=FootballCult(/b)

I don't recall any great wave of sympathy from our friends in Europe back then, so man up you moaning Danish tosspots and live with it.

Bloody hell sinkov, you are digging things up there, that is old history, eleven years ago. It was a good job that we didn't win because someone, somewhere would have brought up the fact that we may well have still been engaged in the slave trade and should be thrown out of the Tournament!

alfinyalcabo
11-07-2021, 10:01 PM
Two subs missed penalties..Well done Southgate.

ClaretinBudapest
11-07-2021, 10:05 PM
Mancini played to win and Southgate as expected played not to lose.One shot on target all match with the talent he has at his disposal Sack the tool.

sinkov
11-07-2021, 10:28 PM
Gareth said they'd been practicing penalties, I think there may be a vacancy for a penalty coach soon then. I assume those clowns have never seen Alan Shearer or Graham Alexander take a penalty, in fact they've probably never even heard of Graham Alexander.

outwoodclaret
11-07-2021, 10:59 PM
My preview for the semi-final with Denmark ended with the following thought concerning Gareth’s game management.
“ His previous semi-final in the World Cup of 2018 started so brightly but Croatia took control as England faded and Southgate seemed unable to change things around. Has he learned from that chastening defeat?”

In many ways the final with Italy was a re-run of that Croatian semi-final. England again started brightly, grabbed that early goal but failed to capitalise on their dominance allowing Italy to first settle and then prise the initiative away from their opponents. After Italy equalised, if not before, Southgate needed to change things. I could understand taking Trippier off in order to switch to a back four but that should have been accompanied by Grealish coming on as well. Instead we had Henderson for Rice. The game needed to be won in normal time or extra time. Penalties were likely to spell doom and his late subs brought on as penalty takers carried on a long tradition of shoot out failures for the Three Lions. If only they had had Pope to practise against in training!

ClaretinBudapest
11-07-2021, 11:05 PM
My preview for the semi-final with Denmark ended with the following thought concerning Gareth’s game management.
“ His previous semi-final in the World Cup of 2018 started so brightly but Croatia took control as England faded and Southgate seemed unable to change things around. Has he learned from that chastening defeat?”

In many ways the final with Italy was a re-run of that Croatian semi-final. England again started brightly, grabbed that early goal but failed to capitalise on their dominance allowing Italy to first settle and then prise the initiative away from their opponents. After Italy equalised, if not before, Southgate needed to change things. I could understand taking Trippier off in order to switch to a back four but that should have been accompanied by Grealish coming on as well. Instead we had Henderson for Rice. The game needed to be won in normal time or extra time. Penalties were likely to spell doom and his late subs brought on as penalty takers carried on a long tradition of shoot out failures for the Three Lions. If only they had had Pope to practise against in training!

Problem is Outwood as I have said before we had lions led by a bottler whose predominant memory so far in his life is missing a penalty which saw England lose a WC semi-final in 1996 thus shows in his negative tactics.He will never change as you stated he learned nothing from the Croatia game.

wanderlust
11-07-2021, 11:17 PM
Expected Italy to win easily but that early goal shocked the s*** out of them and it took another half an hour before they got into their stride. After that brief flirtation with footballing excellence we just couldn't replicate it as they took control - maybe if we'd switched things around and pushed for a second goal it could have been different. What struck me was that Mount was having a stinker and the tactics weren't working but nothing changed so I was screaming at the telly for a substitution before half time but that's not Southgate's way and we paid the price.
Choice of penalty takers was equally baffling.

outwoodclaret
11-07-2021, 11:49 PM
I have to admit I did not even watch the penalties. I turned the TV off at the end of extra time as I knew the jig was up. I was hoping against hope that I was wrong and that after ten minutes looking out of the window I would see rockets shooting up into the night sky or the excited beeping of car horns as they passed my house but no.

The Bedlington Terrier
12-07-2021, 05:20 AM
Southgate had a once in a lifetime opportunity to show the nation he had grown a pair.

He needed to grasp the nettle, be brave and take the game to the Italians.

Sadly his cowardice and lack of nous, cost the English nation a much needed boost in the arm.

I hope the sense of regret overwhelms him and he shuffles off to sell pizzas. :s

sinkov
12-07-2021, 08:07 AM
"After the penalties were over, the Italian fans began singing in a manner you suspect will go on long into the night. They had entered the stadium early, their section of Wembley filling up long before the home fans took up their position. The England supporters were apparently otherwise engaged, gathering outside for hours, having the party of their lives."

Of course they were, it's part of our culture, it's in our DNA, party before the big game, because we know we're not very likely to be partying after it. :blue:

ClaretinBudapest
12-07-2021, 12:26 PM
"after the penalties were over, the italian fans began singing in a manner you suspect will go on long into the night. They had entered the stadium early, their section of wembley filling up long before the home fans took up their position. The england supporters were apparently otherwise engaged, gathering outside for hours, having the party of their lives."

of course they were, it's part of our culture, it's in our dna, party before the big game, because we know we're not very likely to be partying after it. :blue:

lol!!!