PDA

View Full Version : We need a defensive coach urgently

Kelton
18-07-2021, 09:09 PM
We do not have a defensive coach. IB and MD are not going to put right the glaring problems we have in conceding from set pieces, corners or crosses. We need to address this now. If we dont we will carry on with a problem that simply wont go away and it will hold us back. It will be folly to start a new season with the same problems.
Im waiting for people to say we have Cameron who will put things right but thats wishful thinking. Ellis couldnt last season and it will be worse IMO this season if we have Rawlinson playing in the centre of a 3. Cameron will play on the left.
Unless we bring in an experienced defensive coach we will not stop the soft goals and fail

KCNotts
18-07-2021, 10:06 PM
We do not have a defensive coach. IB and MD are not going to put right the glaring problems we have in conceding from set pieces, corners or crosses. We need to address this now. If we dont we will carry on with a problem that simply wont go away and it will hold us back. It will be folly to start a new season with the same problems.
Im waiting for people to say we have Cameron who will put things right but thats wishful thinking. Ellis couldnt last season and it will be worse IMO this season if we have Rawlinson playing in the centre of a 3. Cameron will play on the left.
Unless we bring in an experienced defensive coach we will not stop the soft goals and fail

It's not rocket science is it? Stop the crosses, tackle the players and head the ball away.

Job done.

TSANHO
18-07-2021, 10:21 PM

Jesus....could have let me know before I bought a season ticket. Thanks a bunch.

queenslandpie
18-07-2021, 10:21 PM
How much practical day to day football management experience do you have kelton?

Notsohumblepie
18-07-2021, 10:46 PM

Looks like the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse didn't get the weekend off after all.

nw6pie
19-07-2021, 06:12 AM
It would be interesting to hear IB’s thoughts on how we stop being a soft touch at set plays, which has been an ongoing problem since, I would say, Shola Ameobi left. We need some height and muscle in the middle of the park too, to help out in these situations, so let’s see who we (hopefully) bring in this week.

Logic says we’re not going to get promoted if we’re conceding two goals a game, as we did too often last season. It’s only “acceptable” to be involved in high-scoring games if you’re winning most of them.

BadPie
19-07-2021, 06:15 AM
Ben Turners agent is back 🙄

MAD_MAGPIE
19-07-2021, 07:46 AM

I appreciate the sentiments of your post and of course defending set pieces, corners and crosses is a fundamental part of the game. Too many times in the past Notts have conceded two goals a game and when you do that it becomes difficult to win football matches. The Moniz attacking style of if they score three we will score four is fine, you just need to make sure you have the potency to score such an amount of goals at the other end.

I do think that its more a case of fine tuning in defence and is not a crisis of sorts. In season one we had the second best defence in this league conceding 38 goals. That was one goal a game. In season two we conceded 41 goals which was the 5th best in this league. Again that was effectively one goal a game.

Likewise one advantage we have compared to past seasons we still have the core of the defence of the past two years with the likes of Slocombe, Rawlinson, Lacey at the heart of it.

To put it into context if we can concede five goals less than we did last season that is a title winning defence. We are not far off in my opinion.

the_anticlough
19-07-2021, 07:48 AM
Coming from Scandinavian football isn't like coming from South America, defending set pieces has to be a big feature of play in Norway/Sweden.
Then again a Head Coach might want to delegate that area...but wouldn't Doyle have enough experience to do it?

I think Cameron, Rawlinson, Lacey, Wootton, plus an experienced keeper in Slocombe is more than a good start..
What we need then is the likes of Brindley, Chicksen to toughen up (necessary if they're going to be in 3 a lot of the time), make life as hard for the attackers as possible, never flinch and expect and accept a nut to the face as part of the job ;) I'm not sure they really embraced that part of the job last season and that has to change

Also, with Reeves and Doyle gone - we will be a taller team overall most probably.
I don't think this has to be an Achilles heel, so no need for IB to call in the cavalry before he even has his squad!

Notts78
19-07-2021, 08:19 AM
Hang on a minute. Ardley was vilified for being a ‘defensive’ coach.
We have a coach now who wants us on the front foot and attacking teams. That might leave us exposed at times but thats how IB wants us to play.
In terms of defending from set plays, it’s a relatively simple concept. Mark your man or zone. And win your header. The problems Notts have had is that we don’t or haven’t had enough height in the team and so it’s easier to expose that and blame it on poor defending. Teams look for a mismatch. If you put a ball into an area where we have 2 players over 6ft but the opposition have 4, then statistically speaking they will win some of those headers.
As some have already said, conceding hasn’t been a massive issue. No real concerns for me.

Carlton_Pie
19-07-2021, 08:22 AM
Coming from Scandinavian football isn't like coming from South America, defending set pieces has to be a big feature of play in Norway/Sweden.
Then again a Head Coach might want to delegate that area...but wouldn't Doyle have enough experience to do it?

I think Cameron, Rawlinson, Lacey, Wootton, plus an experienced keeper in Slocombe is more than a good start..
What we need then is the likes of Brindley, Chicksen to toughen up (necessary if they're going to be in 3 a lot of the time), make life as hard for the attackers as possible, never flinch and expect and accept a nut to the face as part of the job ;) I'm not sure they really embraced that part of the job last season and that has to change

Also, with Reeves and Doyle gone - we will be a taller team overall most probably.
I don't think this has to be an Achilles heel, so no need for IB to call in the cavalry before he even has his squad!

Cameron is a huge improvement in this area. Also if Lacey is back, that's 3 centre halves that can head a ball playing rather than just the 2 you get in a back 4.

Brindley playing RWB adds height over DKE and Miller was next to useless in the air, so hopefully Taylor is an improvement in this area.

Add a physical centre mid and we should be ok

crazyfists
19-07-2021, 08:45 AM
You worry too much Kelton, a good manager and AM don't need a defensive coach as well at our level, the plays they face aren't complicated enough, as others have said stop the cross or win the ball once in the area. We have had problems in first cutting out the cross and then faffing about with it comically until they score when it drops in the box but I think IB won't stand for this and will have the tactical knowledge to cut it out in the main although when alot of the teams you play, that's their was of playing and having big lumps in the box so you are going to let in one or two that way naturally.

laddo
19-07-2021, 09:00 AM
Kelton continues to make a good point and highlight the main issue under IB. We do need to tighten up if we want to get promoted. I completely agree with CFs point about stopping so many crosses , which is the main issue for me.

However he is only focusing on one side of the coin which I find strange. I don't hear his praise of the attacking side of things under IB? Let's be honest there has been plenty of opportunities.

Kelton where were the similar complaints when we weren't scoring enough under NA? Or do you only focus on the defensive side of the game?

Glad2BeAPie
19-07-2021, 09:16 AM
No we don't want a defensive coach, just need players doing their jobs in each part of the pitch

queenslandpie
19-07-2021, 09:19 AM
We have a coach now who wants us on the front foot and attacking teams. That might leave us exposed at times but thats how IB wants us to play.
In terms of defending from set plays, it’s a relatively simple concept. Mark your man or zone. And win your header. The problems Notts have had is that we don’t or haven’t had enough height in the team and so it’s easier to expose that and blame it on poor defending. Teams look for a mismatch. If you put a ball into an area where we have 2 players over 6ft but the opposition have 4, then statistically speaking they will win some of those headers.
As some have already said, conceding hasn’t been a massive issue. No real concerns for me.

I'd have thought you would have worked out by now that Kelton is actually Ardley.

laddo
19-07-2021, 10:01 AM
I'd have thought you would have worked out by now that Kelton is actually Ardley.

QLD don't start that game again! lol.

If Kelton is then Neal has multiple accounts cos I'm one of a few who have been identified by amateur detectives as our former manager on here.

SwalePie
19-07-2021, 11:11 AM
I'm Neal Ardley and so is my wife.

laddo
19-07-2021, 11:31 AM

XD

Notts78
19-07-2021, 11:59 AM

Your children must look interesting 😂

Kelton
19-07-2021, 12:06 PM

We conceded 6 goals in two play off games!!!!!!
No problem that?????

laddo
19-07-2021, 12:22 PM
Where was your criticism of the previous manager when we were struggling to score goals or create too many chances?

Where is your praise for IB increasing the number of goals scored and chances created?

Don't tell us you only concentrate on the negative side of things?

laddo
19-07-2021, 12:23 PM
Your children must look interesting 😂

Whatever they look like I bet they are really nice.

the_anticlough
19-07-2021, 12:39 PM

Respect the post

Notts78
19-07-2021, 01:38 PM
No problem that?????

No need to get angry Neal.

Out of the 6 goals, how many were set pieces? How about, how many of the goals scored were offside or a dodgy penalty?

The problem with folk like you Neal is that when goals are conceded everyone always blames the defenders. The reality is that players further up the pitch don’t do their jobs well enough but because they score a few no one gives a ****.

Good luck at Solihull. Except when you play us. 😜

Bridg4d_Pie_
19-07-2021, 01:47 PM
No problem that?????

💤💤💤💤💤
🙏🙏🙏 you find a New Hobby.

BigFatPie
19-07-2021, 03:34 PM
The funny thing is that the possibility that Kelton is Ardley is the least weird explanation for his posts.

laddo
19-07-2021, 03:43 PM
His one sided 'negative only' postings remind me of someone who used to post regularly on here but has gone very quiet in recent times. In fact about the same time Kelton has been on a roll.

I just can't quite put my finger on who????

Hmmmmmmm

laddo
19-07-2021, 03:44 PM
The funny thing is that the possibility that Kelton is Ardley is the least weird explanation for his posts.

He's got a point.

upthemaggies
19-07-2021, 03:53 PM
Last eight league games we conceded an average of 0.88 a game.
Over the course of the whole of last season that would have been the 3rd best in the league.

We shouldn't get too fixated on the play off games. We won't play against that calibre of opposition every week and in normal time (League games don't go to extra time remember) we scored more than we conceded in those two games.

Kelton
19-07-2021, 05:49 PM
Ben Turners agent is back 🙄

Grow up

Kelton
19-07-2021, 05:52 PM
Last eight league games we conceded an average of 0.88 a game.
Over the course of the whole of last season that would have been the 3rd best in the league.

We shouldn't get too fixated on the play off games. We won't play against that calibre of opposition every week and in normal time (League games don't go to extra time remember) we scored more than we conceded in those two games.

So as long as we dont make the play offs we will be ok? Yes that shud work….

Mapperleypie
19-07-2021, 05:53 PM

Ok Neal.

countygump
19-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Ouch!

https://youtu.be/FnBlfAxMcUg

upthemaggies
19-07-2021, 06:28 PM

Hindsight shows that IB got it wrong at Torquay. The strong finish to the regular league campaign however shows that it should be the right approach in terms of going for auto and if that fails, we should still be in the play offs having entertained the spectators paying to turn up.

Seeing that we haven't yet once managed to move into 2nd spot since being relegated - Being cautious clearly isn't the way to go if we're serious about challenging for top spot.

Having yet another season where we're just talking about games in hand to be in with an outside chance of making auto but realistically just doing enough to secure a top 7 finish, can't be acceptable anymore.

OK, we can't and shouldn't expect us to win the league, but for god's sake, a third season in it's about time we gave it a serious go and you can only do that by scoring a fair amount more than you concede and winning lots of games. We've got to go for it at this level, we just have to.

Kelton
19-07-2021, 07:04 PM
Hindsight shows that IB got it wrong at Torquay. The strong finish to the regular league campaign however shows that it should be the right approach in terms of going for auto and if that fails, we should still be in the play offs having entertained the spectators paying to turn up.

Seeing that we haven't yet once managed to move into 2nd spot since being relegated - Being cautious clearly isn't the way to go if we're serious about challenging for top spot.

Having yet another season where we're just talking about games in hand to be in with an outside chance of making auto but realistically just doing enough to secure a top 7 finish, can't be acceptable anymore.

OK, we can't and shouldn't expect us to win the league, but for god's sake, a third season in it's about time we gave it a serious go and you can only do that by scoring a fair amount more than you concede and winning lots of games. We've got to go for it at this level, we just have to.

Im sure we will give it a right go of course we will but as has been said by a few on hear. We cannot expect to win games if we concede 2 and there were too many Solihull moors away moments for my liking so..,,
As i said when i started the thread we need some good coaching to defend our own goal. Trouble is some fans on hear are in denial or just a little stubborn to see an obvious weakness and prefer to be sarcastic insulting or just plain daft but i put it out there to provoke meaningful debate…. At least we got some for those inputs i thank you

laddo
19-07-2021, 07:36 PM
Tbf it's been 100% Notts related debate as far as Kelton is concerned , even if it appears glass a third full and one side of the coin only. I'll take it. Good stuff :)

Notts78
19-07-2021, 07:49 PM
Ouch!

https://youtu.be/FnBlfAxMcUg

Torquay won’t finish in the top 7 let alone top. You can never dismiss teams relegated tho history suggests they struggle for an immediate return.
I think he has us about right as things stand. Stockport would be my favourites as it stands but a lot can change in the next 4 weeks with signings etc..

upthemaggies
19-07-2021, 07:53 PM
Tbf it's been 100% Notts related debate as far as Kelton is concerned , even if it appears glass a third full and one side of the coin only. I'll take it. Good stuff :)

We're all banking on them showing the post-Mo Ross form in the new season rather than the pre-Ross incident form. We did have a run where we conceded two goals in six out of eight games (conceding one in the other two games, 14 against in 8 overall). Hopefully that was just a case of time being needed for IB to get his ideas across and Ross being something of an obstacle to that process. If not and the run-in was merely a case of a momentum that's now been lost, then Kelton may well be proved right.

It's still early days for IB. So far he's done the minimum of what was required in terms of results. Going from the day he took over (25th March) we'd be a lowly 12th in the PPG table averaging 1.50 per game with 7 wins 3 draws and 6 defeats.

laddo
19-07-2021, 08:08 PM
As we all know the schedule was crazy, in the initial period he almost had more games than training sessions. That should be factored in to things as it's misleading

Once the fixture list slowed a little and he could properly prepare for games and get time on the training pitch we saw a marked improvement. I believe it was the Torquay away game.

Next season I pray he manages all of the games and it will fairly show where we are what we have with IB as head coach.

Elite_Pie
19-07-2021, 08:11 PM
Torquay won’t finish in the top 7 let alone top. You can never dismiss teams relegated tho history suggests they struggle for an immediate return.
I think he has us about right as things stand. Stockport would be my favourites as it stands but a lot can change in the next 4 weeks with signings etc..

I think that among the favourites,Torquay are the team I'd lay, but at the moment third place for us is a bit higher than I'd predict.

Notts78
19-07-2021, 08:36 PM
I think that among the favourites,Torquay are the team I'd lay, but at the moment third place for us is a bit higher than I'd predict.

I agree that at the moment their are too many unknowns. How fit will Lacey and Roberts be. Will Rodrigues continue his late season form.
The obvious one is of the 4-5 signings IB wants to make, how many are to strengthen the starting 11 compared to squad players.
I also look at our first 8 fixtures or so and other than Torquay and Wrexham who will both be tough, the rest if those fixtures present a genuine opportunity to gain real momentum.
Time will tell of course.

queenslandpie
19-07-2021, 08:37 PM
I agree that at the moment their are too many unknowns. How fit will Lacey and Roberts be. Will Rodrigues continue his late season form.
The obvious one is of the 4-5 signings IB wants to make, how many are to strengthen the starting 11 compared to squad players.
I also look at our first 8 fixtures or so and other than Torquay and Wrexham who will both be tough, the rest if those fixtures present a genuine opportunity to gain real momentum.
Time will tell of course.

Why will Wrexham be tough. Their current recruitment is at best average. Now Stockport on the other hand....

Notts78
19-07-2021, 08:48 PM
Why will Wrexham be tough. Their current recruitment is at best average. Now Stockport on the other hand....

An away game against a side that did well last season, 48 hours after playing on the Saturday against the play off finalists we lost to. Oh, when was the last time we won away whilst on TV?

queenslandpie
19-07-2021, 09:49 PM
An away game against a side that did well last season, 48 hours after playing on the Saturday against the play off finalists we lost to. Oh, when was the last time we won away whilst on TV?

Based on their recruitment so far I would say that every dog has its day!

We might have to respect the point in this one though.

uysapie
19-07-2021, 11:28 PM
Im sure we will give it a right go of course we will but as has been said by a few on hear. We cannot expect to win games if we concede 2 and there were too many Solihull moors away moments for my liking so..,,
As i said when i started the thread we need some good coaching to defend our own goal. Trouble is some fans on hear are in denial or just a little stubborn to see an obvious weakness and prefer to be sarcastic insulting or just plain daft but i put it out there to provoke meaningful debate…. At least we got some for those inputs i thank you

Tend to agree, stop the errors at the back, so the need to score 2 or 3 goals per game can be reduced.

kill_the_drum
20-07-2021, 02:53 PM
Only 3 teams conceded less and 8 teams scored more.
Our issue last season wasn’t conceding goals.

Kelton
20-07-2021, 04:14 PM

Apart from the playoffs of course or dont they count……

bule1
20-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Apart from the playoffs of course or dont they count……

To be honest playoffs are effectively cup games rather than league, so whilst they do obviously count they are not the same.

laddo
20-07-2021, 04:39 PM
Surely in one off play off games only the result counts? I wouldn't care if we won 1-0 or 5-4, as long as we won.

You have to judge GF and GA over a whole season or entire tenure of a manager if applicable. It's also important to not focus entirely on one and never mention the other a la Kelton

Kelton
20-07-2021, 05:15 PM
Surely in one off play off games only the result counts? I wouldn't care if we won 1-0 or 5-4, as long as we won.

You have to judge GF and GA over a whole season or entire tenure of a manager if applicable. It's also important to not focus entirely on one and never mention the other a la Kelton

Not sure what you are suggesting but if it is my supposed greater admiration for NA, you are wrong Laddo. NA made mistakes which cost us dearly but he did get us to the playoff final having started that season with the club in admin and without a sqaud. He left us in 5th place which is where we finished season end. IB now has a full season ahead to prove himself and I like everyone wants sucess for the club.

laddo
20-07-2021, 06:23 PM
How are you confused??? I've asked you straight or heavily hinted at least 3 or 4 times now but thanks for responding.

I know the state of the club when he came in, and I know where he left us, it's the big bit in between which gets people all hot and bothered on here XD

I assume you rightly praised NA defensively but correctly criticised him for a lack of attacking threat?

If that assumption is correct, then IB should get the reverse shouldn't he? Some criticism for his side's defensive displays but plenty of praise for getting a team to create so much and score so many?

Surely we all want success for our beloved Stylish Magpies , in fact there is already a well established Burchnall Bandwagon that's been very nicely chugging along after an understandably sticky slow start.

jacobncfc
20-07-2021, 06:36 PM
Melton - “We need a defensive coach”

Burchnall - “I’m going to sign one of the league’s highest rated speedy wingers to play at wing back”

Kelton
26-07-2021, 04:10 PM
Looks like we are going to employ a defensive coach arent we ?
I accept the apologise from the posters who ridiculed the very idea when i put this thread out there last week. Some on here will try to split hairs by saying it is not a defensive coach but a coach dealing with corners set pieces and free kicks etc and claim it involves both ends of the pitch. Yea ok ……… i think most on hear will accept where the main role will concentrate its efforts on dont we.

CamPie
26-07-2021, 04:12 PM
I accept the apologise from the posters who ridiculed the very idea when i put this thread out there last week. Some on here will try to split hairs by saying it is not a defensive coach but a coach dealing with corners set pieces and free kicks etc and claim it involves both ends of the pitch. Yea ok ……… i think most on hear will accept where the main role will concentrate its efforts on dont we.

Are you Laddo’s brother? #mission2

Kelton
26-07-2021, 04:23 PM
It's not rocket science is it? Stop the crosses, tackle the players and head the ball away.

Job done.

Oops…….. difficult enough to employ a coach like i said

Kelton
26-07-2021, 04:24 PM
How much practical day to day football management experience do you have kelton?

Enough to know we need a defensive coach obviously…..

Kelton
26-07-2021, 04:24 PM
No we don't want a defensive coach, just need players doing their jobs in each part of the pitch

Oops!!

laddo
26-07-2021, 04:25 PM
Trust me he isn't XD

Kelton can I suggest you actually read the detailed job description before you ask for any apologies buddy.

I can't see the word defensive or defence mentioned once maybe I've missed it. Whoever we hire I definitely want them to cover attacking set plays as well not just defensively.

#balancenotbias

Kelton
26-07-2021, 04:26 PM
You worry too much Kelton, a good manager and AM don't need a defensive coach as well at our level, the plays they face aren't complicated enough, as others have said stop the cross or win the ball once in the area. We have had problems in first cutting out the cross and then faffing about with it comically until they score when it drops in the box but I think IB won't stand for this and will have the tactical knowledge to cut it out in the main although when alot of the teams you play, that's their was of playing and having big lumps in the box so you are going to let in one or two that way naturally.

Oops!!

Kelton
26-07-2021, 04:27 PM
No need to get angry Neal.

Out of the 6 goals, how many were set pieces? How about, how many of the goals scored were offside or a dodgy penalty?

The problem with folk like you Neal is that when goals are conceded everyone always blames the defenders. The reality is that players further up the pitch don’t do their jobs well enough but because they score a few no one gives a ****.

Good luck at Solihull. Except when you play us. 😜

Oops!!

SwalePie
26-07-2021, 04:28 PM
You never know Kelton, once they've hired this set piece coach a defensive coach may be next. You could still end up being right! Notts are very good at keeping things under wraps lately.

Kelton
26-07-2021, 04:29 PM
Tend to agree, stop the errors at the back, so the need to score 2 or 3 goals per game can be reduced.

Your right and the club are about to address it with a coach

Kelton
26-07-2021, 04:30 PM

Oops

jacobncfc
26-07-2021, 04:35 PM

I’ve had a look at the job description and there’s one word that is definitely notable by its absence.

bule1
26-07-2021, 04:35 PM
Kelton that's not a oops it's a fact, regardless of what coach we go for. We conceded more because of the change in style of play, Ardley went for 1-0 style, IB for 5-4 but with NA's squad. Both get 3 points but I know which is better to watch. From the description it will be from both attack and defence perspectives

Elite_Pie
26-07-2021, 06:56 PM
Fair play to Kelton on this one.

Despite the ridicule, at the very least he was proved half right.

laddo
26-07-2021, 07:14 PM
Would that be the 'defensive' half by any chance?

Elite_Pie
26-07-2021, 07:32 PM
Would that be the 'defensive' half by any chance?

The defensive bit, allied to the 'new coach needed' bit.

To me that makes Kelton 'half right' as a minimum.

Glad2BeAPie
26-07-2021, 07:35 PM
We had Dean Yates as a defensive coach a few seasons ago

laddo
26-07-2021, 07:43 PM
The defensive bit, allied to the 'new coach needed' bit.

To me that makes Kelton 'half right' as a minimum.

He nailed half of it for sure.

In fact as he clearly doesn't recognise or even acknowledge anything in the attacking half during football matches, I'd go as far as saying he's 100% right ;)

Credit where credits due.

Magpies1959
26-07-2021, 09:27 PM
After recents happenings in my life, I have tried not to judge people, but Kelton sure sets a challenge. We are definitely not seeking a defensive coach, as the job description clearly states, so the need to call out so many people joyfully and wrongly, is mystifying.
I agree we do need to cut down our goals conceded, regardless of our more attacking style of play, but I am sure, like many others, IB and MD are more than capable of doing that.

Davy500
27-07-2021, 03:56 AM

Thanks for clearing up - what i always suspected ....

SwalePie
27-07-2021, 10:28 AM
Thanks for clearing up - what i always suspected ....

:)

Woodypie
27-07-2021, 11:38 AM
Fair play to Kelton on this one.

Despite the ridicule, at the very least he was proved half right. Yes, anyone that paid any interest in Notts performances all of last season would, like Kelton, recognise that defensive fragility was a problem. No need for Kelton to be ridiculed. Of he course, if he bites and gets dragged into another ill-tempered spat, Kelton will end up banned. Hilarious. Only on NCM.

Magpies1959
27-07-2021, 11:44 AM
So it is ok for Kelton to wrongly ridicule other people.

Woodypie
27-07-2021, 12:12 PM
So it is ok for Kelton to wrongly ridicule other people. Absolutely not.

laddo
27-07-2021, 12:38 PM
Yes, anyone that paid any interest in Notts performances all of last season would, like Kelton, recognise that defensive fragility was a problem. No need for Kelton to be ridiculed. Of he course, if he bites and gets dragged into another ill-tempered spat, Kelton will end up banned. Hilarious. Only on NCM.

Not trying to stir anything up with that post Woody XD

I've not seen anything ill-tempered involving Kelton, in fact I've not seen any ill-tempered spats on NCM for about a month. It's great :)