PDA

View Full Version : Tactically, it baffles me

HughieG
19-08-2021, 08:17 AM
that Bruce hasn't learned after all these years that sitting back and going all-in on defence is not the way to protect a 1-0 lead.

Never mind whether or not you are a defensive manager in style or not, tactically it is an appalling disposition to make as it basically invites the opposition, who are now in need of a goal to get anything out the match, to attack and gain confidence etc. - in our case against players like Krafth with limited defensive skills!

Certain tactics requires a certain standard of quality from players, and of course we can't play the Pep-way with the players we have and get away with it. But there's a long way from doing that to getting 10 men behind the ball each time we take the lead.

Rafa is a defensive manager in many ways, but he knew which buttons to push and when to do it in order to get the win. Sometimes his plans failed, but at least he had a plan that was more sophisticated than parking the bus and crossing his fingers.

Zippity
19-08-2021, 09:44 AM
May I refer you to my conclusion about Bruce on Andy's thread.

He's thick as mince, Hughie. Barely a plan A let alone a plan B. Plan A is to hope that one of his 'star' players can do something magical and, in the event that it does, either hope that the opposition are daft enough to fall for it again or just sit deeper and deeper if that doesn't happen.

If Plan A isn't working, Plan B is to stick with Plan A then make bizarre substitutions when it's too late.

ex_pat_magpie
19-08-2021, 10:01 AM

He's thick as mince, Hughie. Barely a plan A let alone a plan B. Plan A is to hope that one of his 'star' players can do something magical and, in the event that it does, either hope that the opposition are daft enough to fall for it again or just sit deeper and deeper if that doesn't happen.

If Plan A isn't working, Plan B is to stick with Plan A then make bizarre substitutions when it's too late.

In other words, his right-hand doesn't know what his right hand is doing, let alone the left hand.

Zippity
19-08-2021, 02:14 PM
To be fair, in his right hand there is usually something from Gregg's and his left hand is usually shoved up the arse of and controlling whichever of his media buddies is pontificating that particular week about how ungrateful we are and what a good job he's doing.

ex_pat_magpie
19-08-2021, 04:00 PM
To be fair, in his right hand there is usually something from Gregg's and his left hand is usually shoved up the arse of and controlling whichever of his media buddies is pontificating that particular week about how ungrateful we are and what a good job he's doing.

Now that just about sums up with some clarity exactly his skills and what he excels at. >;)

HughieG
19-08-2021, 08:18 PM

Hmm alright, I’ll check it out, although I’m not sure we’re on the same page…

Bruce is a clueless, ****ing moron.

This one?

Yep. We’re on the same page.

Jammy89
19-08-2021, 08:43 PM

A just sum up of the ****.

Zippity
19-08-2021, 09:07 PM
Hmm alright, I’ll check it out, although I’m not sure we’re on the same page…

This one?

Yep. We’re on the same page.

That's the fella. :D