PDA

View Full Version : So, everyone's fit, you're Steve Bruce...

Stanleymag
22-08-2021, 01:06 PM
Me.

Not me in goal, too short. 4/4/2

Dubraka. Kraft (I know, couldn't think of anybody else), Fernandez, Fab, Dummett.

Murphy, Hayden, Willock, Ritchie.

ASM, Wilson

Zippity
22-08-2021, 01:32 PM
Funny you should hoy this up, Stan...I was thinking exactly the same. Nice one.

I'd go for 4 at the back too but I'd have-from our limited resources- Manquillo, Schar, Fernandez, Lewis (Schar isn't the strongest in a '4' but better than the alternatives)

I'd have Hayden, Shelvey and Willock in midfield and a front 3 of Miggy, Wilson and ASM.

It's not the strongest team but, then, we don't have the strongest squad.

Zippity
22-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Looking at that again, maybe it's too flaky but, short of putting Murphy in on the right and moving ASM onto the left and having Willock play behind Wilson (so Miggy out and 4-4-2) I don't know...

Willock is great at breaking into the box at the right time but putting ASM up with Wilson and dropping Willock into a 4 in midfield would leave us too narrow on the left and put a lot onto Lewis' shoulders if the other 3 were Hayden, Shelvey and Murphy?

And let's not pretend Murphy is the answer, either. He works hard and can cross more accurately than Ritchie but that's damning him with faint praise.

MidsMagpie
22-08-2021, 05:20 PM
Darlow Manquillo Schar Fernandez Lewis Hayden Willock Almiron Fraser Wilson and the Saint

Scott Kirkland
22-08-2021, 05:26 PM
If everyone is fit, I am Bruce.
I phone Rafa and ask him how to play to the teams strengths and weaknesses.

Andy1981_2
23-08-2021, 06:24 AM
I'd go 4-3-3, bit of fluidity to the way the front 5 (i.e. excluding CDM) play positionally, ask our side to press from the front and use their pace to break quickly whenever possession is won. Stack the team with the fastest and fittest players we have, pick 2 CBs based on their reading of the game and ability to pass the ball, and a midfield who can perform in that box-to-box role (tackle, create, be a goal threat), so:

Dubravka
Murphy, Schar, Fernandez, Lewis
Willock, Hayden, Ritchie
Almiron, Wilson, St. Maximin

At some point, St. Max is likely to need subbing for Fraser due to lack of fitness, but the rest have the legs for 90 mins. Longstaff (M or S) can come in for Ritchie if he's struggling in a more central position. Lascelles in for Schar if we're playing against a striker like Lukaku, just to minimise how many we concede.