PDA

View Full Version : ot what is going off on tv.

crashbang
10-09-2021, 08:38 PM
goggle box tonight. 11 families reviewing tv.
Not one white face.
sponsored by 3. with 2 gay black men in bed

crashbang
10-09-2021, 08:39 PM
on now if you don't believe me channel 104

Grumpy King of the West
10-09-2021, 08:43 PM
Ch4 is all black this evening. Seriously.

crashbang
10-09-2021, 08:48 PM
I know even the adds. fkn winds me up

Grist_To_The_Mill
10-09-2021, 08:57 PM
Ch4 is all black this evening. Seriously.

A publically owned broadcaster like the BBC so yet more brainwashing of the masses

crashbang
10-09-2021, 09:00 PM
A publically owned broadcaster like the BBC so yet more brainwashing of the masses

fanning the flames to me

Grist_To_The_Mill
10-09-2021, 09:03 PM
fanning the flames to me

Flattens the batteries on the tv remote control

clarkey1974
10-09-2021, 09:35 PM
The only surprise about this is that anyone is surprised…

mygiddypant
10-09-2021, 10:10 PM
So what? Get a grip!

Grist_To_The_Mill
10-09-2021, 10:15 PM
Yes, not a bad idea really. We could have it as a permanent thing, a channel ( or more) dedicated to black only programming.

Like on the radio Classic FM will be classical music, no surprises.

So if channel 4 was permanently black presenters, black contestants, black programming etc folks would know and tune in or avoid it as necessary

avondalemiller
10-09-2021, 10:44 PM
....brainwashing at it's best................

...and people moan about places like China.......................

avondalemiller
10-09-2021, 11:02 PM
Yes, not a bad idea really. We could have it as a permanent thing, a channel ( or more) dedicated to black only programming.

Like on the radio Classic FM will be classical music, no surprises.

So if channel 4 was permanently black presenters, black contestants, black programming etc folks would know and tune in or avoid it as necessary

...great idea, all in 1 place.......................

John2
10-09-2021, 11:26 PM
I wasn't sure I saw the point of doing things like this until I see threads like these.

The evidence shows that historically minorities have been under represented proportionately on our screens and with opportunities in the industry.

Maybe those spending just one evening feeling under represented on TV can now understand why people feel representation is an important to issue?

great_fire
10-09-2021, 11:27 PM
I wasn't sure I saw the point of doing things like this until I see threads like these.

The evidence shows that, despite increasing efforts and some people thinking they are over represented, minorities have been hugely under represented proportionately on our screens and with opportunities in the industry.

Maybe those spending just one evening feeling under represented on TV can now understand why people feel representation is an important to issue?

Been all day actually.

Now imagine Channel 4 only having white people on all day.

John2
10-09-2021, 11:33 PM
Been all day actually.

Now imagine Channel 4 only having white people on all day.

We've come a long way fortunately, it used to be pretty much that with the occasional offensive stereotype added to a sitcom as far as I can tell from the older shows I've seen.

Grumpy King of the West
11-09-2021, 06:15 AM

The evidence shows that historically minorities have been under represented proportionately on our screens and with opportunities in the industry.

No. The evidence actually shows that gay and ethnic minorities are actually over represented on UK TV in comparison to their demographic. But that doesn't suit what appears to be your narrative does it.

Few would argue about historical injustice and prejudice but we are talking about the here and now. The vast majority of people are live and let live. Have you ever sat down, had a moment of reflection, and thought that perhaps, just perhaps, it's you that has the issue John?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gays-and-ethnic-minorities-over-represented-on-tv-n7xcqftgz

great_fire
11-09-2021, 06:55 AM
We've come a long way fortunately, it used to be pretty much that with the occasional offensive stereotype added to a sitcom as far as I can tell from the older shows I've seen.

So having all black people is "progress" from having all white people?

That's not really "diversity" though is it?

Isn't that what people like you ae allegedly in favour of?

Grist_To_The_Mill
11-09-2021, 08:09 AM
So having all black people is "progress" from having all white people?

That's not really "diversity" though is it?

Isn't that what people like you ae allegedly in favour of?

As a nation we are more divided than ever.

As taking the knee shows

John2
11-09-2021, 08:34 AM
No. The evidence actually shows that gay and ethnic minorities are actually over represented on UK TV in comparison to their demographic. But that doesn't suit what appears to be your narrative does it.

Few would argue about historical injustice and prejudice but we are talking about the here and now. The vast majority of people are live and let live. Have you ever sat down, had a moment of reflection, and thought that perhaps, just perhaps, it's you that has the issue John?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gays-and-ethnic-minorities-over-represented-on-tv-n7xcqftgz

To be honest, I didn't know the motivations for what channel 4 is doing, nor do I have any strong opinion on the matter, I just find it funny that some boomers who love to call the younger generation snowflakes, are themselves the ones who get themselves so triggered and worked up over the smallest things, as this thread and the other one about the nationality of someone who came to this country age 2 show.

The Times article is behind a paywall, The Daily Mail article reporting on that story says that there are huge under representation issues in certain areas behind the camera. If channel 4 wanted to get us talking and realising these things, they've done a good job.

It's one evening, maybe don't be such snowflakes?

John2
11-09-2021, 08:36 AM
As a nation we are more divided than ever.

As taking the knee shows

Honestly, it seems to be divided between young and old in a way I'd be interested to know if its been that bad historically.

Younger people seem to be much better connected with diverse peers than the older generation does, thankfully.

great_fire
11-09-2021, 08:47 AM
Honestly, it seems to be divided between young and old in a way I'd be interested to know if its been that bad historically.

Younger people seem to be much better connected with diverse peers than the older generation does, thankfully.

You just repeat stuff you read in he Guardian don't you?

WTF is a "diverse peer"?

How come black and brown people are "diverse" but white people aren't?

You mangle the language.

great_fire
11-09-2021, 08:51 AM
To be honest, I didn't know the motivations for what channel 4 is doing, nor do I have any strong opinion on the matter, I just find it funny that some boomers who love to call the younger generation snowflakes, are themselves the ones who get themselves so triggered and worked up over the smallest things, as this thread and the other one about the nationality of someone who came to this country age 2 show.

The Times article is behind a paywall, The Daily Mail article reporting on that story says that there are huge under representation issues in certain areas behind the camera. If channel 4 wanted to get us talking and realising these things, they've done a good job.

It's one evening, maybe don't be such snowflakes?

The Times article says:

"Black and ethnic minority (BAME) people account for about 13 per cent of the national workforce but secure 23 per cent of on-screen roles, the statistics show.

Over-representation is particularly stark on drama programmes, where ethnic minority actors win more than a quarter (26.4 per cent) of parts, as well as children’s TV (30.3 per cent) and comedies (24.9 per cent).

Lesbian, gay and bi***ual people are nearly twice as likely to appear on television — where they take 11.9 per cent of roles — than would be expected by their estimated 6.4 per cent share of the national population."

MillersTime
11-09-2021, 08:53 AM

It's not even old and young. The majority of older people are just like the majority of younger people, reasonable and level headed. It is just the minority who get excited by events such as this. The same minority who get excited by the other thread as you mentioned. Thankfully the minority are pretty irrelevant and that's what probably hurts them. No matter how much they show exasperation at seeing black people on TV it won't be stopping anytime soon. Let them work themselves up and blow a gasket. The world is changing for the better, keep up or get left behind. Either way, it won't be halting because they don't like it.

Always the same names frothing at the mouth.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. I don't like SSN much now because it is too focussed on social issues and not sport, therefore I don't really watch it. Not because I'm against it but because that's not what I'm watching for. If you have an issue with people who are black on TV then turn it over and pretend they don't exist. If that's what helps you sleep at night.

great_fire
11-09-2021, 08:57 AM
It's not even old and young. The majority of older people are just like the majority of younger people, reasonable and level headed. It is just the minority who get excited by events such as this. The same minority who get excited by the other thread as you mentioned. Thankfully the minority are pretty irrelevant and that's what probably hurts them. No matter how much they show exasperation at seeing black people on TV it won't be stopping anytime soon. Let them work themselves up and blow a gasket. The world is changing for the better, keep up or get left behind. Either way, it won't be halting because they don't like it.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. I don't like SSN much now because it is too focussed on social issues and not sport, therefore I don't really watch it. Not because I'm against it but because that's not what I'm watching for. If you have an issue with people who are black on TV then turn it over and pretend they don't exist. If that's what helps you sleep at night.

I think you're confusing who the minority is, seems to be happening a lot these days.

Also, you're being disingenuous, people weren't complaining about black people being on TV, people were complaining about only black people being on TV.

They're not even the biggest minority in the UK, which kind of proves that it's really about the cultural cringe, copying the USA.

MillersTime
11-09-2021, 08:58 AM
You just repeat stuff you read in he Guardian don't you?

WTF is a "diverse peer"?

How come black and brown people are "diverse" but white people aren't?

You mangle the language.

You're presuming 'younger people' are white. Some younger people are BAME. They can have a white friend who also counts as diverse, just like it would the other way around. He didn't say BAME are the diverse peers, although they can be.

MillersTime
11-09-2021, 09:02 AM
I think you're confusing who the minority is, seems to be happening a lot these days.

Who is the minority then? What is happening a lot? If you talk into an echo chamber with the same handful of people about the same issues then I imagine it would become exaggerated in your mind.

great_fire
11-09-2021, 09:04 AM
You're presuming 'younger people' are white. Some younger people are BAME. They can have a white friend who also counts as diverse, just like it would the other way around. He didn't say BAME are the diverse peers, although they can be.

That's not what he meant though.

Brown skin, brown eyes, black hair = diverse.
White skin, blond/ brown/ red/ black hair, blue/ green/ brown/ grey/ hazel eyes = not diverse.

As I said, you mangle the language.

MillersTime
11-09-2021, 09:07 AM

White skin, blond/ brown/ red/ black hair, blue/ green/ brown/ grey/ hazel eyes = not diverse.

If you're black is another black person diverse? No. Is a white person? Yes.

If you're white is another white person diverse? No. Is a black person? Yes.

No mangled language. Simple language for a simple distinction.

Grist_To_The_Mill
11-09-2021, 09:20 AM

The brainwashing runs deep in some GF. They've had it through school and for some of them in University or college.

add to that the slow drip, drip, drip via tv and media and they are preprogrammed to think in a certain way.

They lose the ability to step back and think "just a minute, what's happening here"

MillersTime
11-09-2021, 09:22 AM
The brainwashing runs deep in some GF. They've had it through school and for some of them in University or college.

add to that the slow drip, drip, drip via tv and media and they are preprogrammed to think in a certain way.

They lose the ability to step back and think "just a minute, what's happening here"

Programmed to think that being black is not an issue? Radical stuff.

Grist_To_The_Mill
11-09-2021, 09:23 AM
Four legs good, two legs bad

millertop
11-09-2021, 09:27 AM
Watch at 9pm tonight and enjoy

MillersTime
11-09-2021, 09:28 AM

Nice soundbite but about as deep as a puddle on this topic. It's almost as if your argument has no weight and is purely fuelled by hate and prejudice, rather than actual facts. That would be a shame.

Grumpy King of the West
11-09-2021, 09:32 AM

I genuinely have never met any single one person who has complained about black people on TV. Have you? The issue, which you either don't yet see or deliberately choose to ignore, is an attempt by those in a position to do so to create a narrative which no longer exists in any meaningful way and to attempt to socially engineer a populous. A populous which I honestly believe, if left to its own devices, wishes to live in peace and harmony with one another.

There are people out there with a public voice, David Lammy being one example, who actively seek to create division by seeing race and colour in absolutely everything that happens. There are nasty white people and there are nasty black people. We rightly have laws in place to deal with racism and discrimination. In my opinion we don't need a condescending, belittling, social engineering stunt to seek to tell us how wrong we are getting things.

Ps, you've more about you MillerTime (I enjoy your Millers posts) than to resort to the "if you don't like it go elsewhere" school of arguing. That's the last resort of a lost argument. Put your view across without such condescension. I genuinely try to see things from the other perspective. Do you?

@John2 - do you only post on here when matters of social discourse are discussed? If so, it seems a strange forum to scour for such topics. Put some views up about the Millers man. That's a topic which unites us 😉

Grist_To_The_Mill
11-09-2021, 09:34 AM
Nice soundbite but about as deep as a puddle on this topic. It's almost as if your argument has no weight and is purely fuelled by hate and prejudice, rather than actual facts. That would be a shame.

Not if you read the book

clarkey1974
11-09-2021, 09:55 AM
More reversing down a cul de sac…

Same as taking in the knee,no exit strategy and seamt like a good idea the time but no way out without upsetting people either way…

MillersTime
11-09-2021, 10:04 AM
I genuinely have never met any single one person who has complained about black people on TV. Have you? The issue, which you either don't yet see or deliberately choose to ignore, is an attempt by those in a position to do so to create a narrative which no longer exists in any meaningful way and to attempt to socially engineer a populous. A populous which I honestly believe, if left to its own devices, wishes to live in peace and harmony with one another.

There are people out there with a public voice, David Lammy being one example, who actively seek to create division by seeing race and colour in absolutely everything that happens. There are nasty white people and there are nasty black people. We rightly have laws in place to deal with racism and discrimination. In my opinion we don't need a condescending, belittling, social engineering stunt to seek to tell us how wrong we are getting things.

Ps, you've more about you MillerTime (I enjoy your Millers posts) than to resort to the "if you don't like it go elsewhere" school of arguing. That's the last resort of a lost argument. Put your view across without such condescension. I genuinely try to see things from the other perspective. Do you?

@John2 - do you only post on here when matters of social discourse are discussed? If so, it seems a strange forum to scour for such topics. Put some views up about the Millers man. That's a topic which unites us 😉

To the best of my knowledge I haven't met someone who has complained about black people on TV. Evidently they exist though, whether you read posts on here or see things on Twitter (I don't usually look at Twitter as it isn't a healthy place IMO. That's due to extremes on both sides of things). What I don't understand, what I think you and Grist have both tried to say, is about this social engineering / brainwashing take on things. What do you think they are trying to do? Which narrative no longer exists? I genuinely don't get what you're trying to say. Of course most people want to live in harmony. Media companies (TV or print), marketing etc are fearful if you ask me. Fearful that if they don't include someone BAME, someone disabled, someone in a same *** relationship etc they will be accused of discriminating. That is why they are choosing to employ more of said people for whatever they're doing. News in particular, I don't buy that they particularly care about such groups, they just want to be seen to be good.

I'm not a David Lammy fan, nor am I a Diane Abbott fan for example. Those who see race in everything aren't helpful, I agree. But then there are people here who just see race, seemingly, that isn't helpful either. You can try and raise issues and debate matters but you can tell when there is an underlying and consistent tone towards a certain section of society. Sometimes there is on here. That isn't right.

I don't think it is condescending. Sorry if you or others feel that way. I tried to qualify what I meant by that in terms of Sky Sports News now, for me. I simply mean if you aren't going to like it then don't watch it. Is that condescending? I'm glad you enjoy my Millers posts, someone has to XD

Of course I try and see from other people's perspectives but it is hard when you ask what people mean and they don't answer but just keep repeating the same old lines. I like to think I try and explain where I'm coming from and why but others don't always make it clear. Either that or I'm slow, always a possibility.

Grist_To_The_Mill
11-09-2021, 10:04 AM

Same as taking in the knee,no exit strategy and seamt like a good idea the time but no way out without upsetting people either way…

Yep, backed themselves into a corner.

At least the booing has been partly replaced with laughing.

MillersTime
11-09-2021, 10:15 AM

Same as always, they have no idea of what tangible long term measures they can put in place. So they're stuck with this now and clinging to it to save face as much as anything.

sota
12-09-2021, 03:53 AM

Well, you will cross the line to the older side before you know it's even happened. Let's hope you achieve something before you get there. Time is running out.

Ronners
12-09-2021, 05:31 AM

The four legs I backed at Doncaster on friday was bad😫.