PDA

View Full Version : Kewell and Searle sacked

SwalePie
20-09-2021, 10:59 AM
Barnet have become the latest club to sack former Nottingham County manager Harold the Cool. He's lasted 7 games this time.

https://barnetfc.com/club-statement-harry-kewell (https://barnetfc.com/club-statement-harry-kewell)

Aldershot have also relieved Danny Searle of his duties after a poor start t the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58622611 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58622611)

ncfcog
20-09-2021, 11:05 AM
I think the Danny Searle decision was a difficult one for the Aldershot board. I know there was a split on opinion for them when the decision was made. I'd imagine Kewell didn't endear himself to anyone at Barnet!

upthemaggies
20-09-2021, 11:07 AM
Kewell is not a surprise but Barnet weren't exactly a club on the up.

countygump
20-09-2021, 11:21 AM

Well this ^^^. I'm not trying to defend Kewellio but given the ''base'' he was starting from, what exactly were they expecting? Overnight miracles?

laddo
20-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Maybe we dodged a bullet after all, and Hardy was right to sack him so quickly. Well done Al.

Or more likely maybe we were even more foolish than everyone else that we actually paid compensation to take him from Crawley!

Either way as the saying goes "it's better to laugh than cry".

laddo
20-09-2021, 12:30 PM

Neither were Oldham or Notts.

countygump
20-09-2021, 12:36 PM
Maybe we dodged a bullet after all, and Hardy was right to sack him so quickly. Well done Al.

Or more likely maybe we were even more foolish than everyone else that we actually paid compensation to take him from Crawley!

Either way as the saying goes "it's better to laugh than cry".

I'm all for sacking managers who given a reasonable amount of time don't appear to be up to the job but 7 games to turn around a team who finished rank bottom, (I'm not including Dover), last season? Most prob on a smallish budget as well, that's a joke.

upthemaggies
20-09-2021, 12:37 PM
Neither were Oldham or Notts.

Left both in a higher position than he found them if my memory is still functioning (I stand to be corrected on Oldham), but it wouldn't be a shock if it came out that he'd upset one too many people down at Barnet, rather than it purely being a results decision.

It'll take a brave chairman for him to get another job in this country again.

the_anticlough
20-09-2021, 12:48 PM
Feel sorry for him, he's had some bad breaks, would Crawley take him back at any point?
Couldn't he be assistant coach somewhere for a while? Does managing in Australia pay or is he basically UK-based now?
Hmm, this is turning out to be an interview down the job centre, better leave it there

jacobncfc
20-09-2021, 12:55 PM
Feel sorry for him, he's had some bad breaks, would Crawley take him back at any point?
Couldn't he be assistant coach somewhere for a while? Does managing in Australia pay or is he basically UK-based now?
Hmm, this is turning out to be an interview down the job centre, better leave it there

Part of the problem with him is that he comes across so badly every time he speaks, though. No one is going to give time and support to someone who comes across as so aloof and disinterested in their job.

the_anticlough
20-09-2021, 12:59 PM
I wonder how he feels about his Notts experience...

I bet he believes we wouldn't be non-league if he'd been allowed to call the shots...
At that time, his sacking was still based on us being right down there rather than a 'let's survive this, 22nd place and up, that's all' because look what happened next....
My guess is that he feels more bitter about Notts than Oldham/Barnet.

drillerpie
20-09-2021, 01:51 PM
I'm all for sacking managers who given a reasonable amount of time don't appear to be up to the job but 7 games to turn around a team who finished rank bottom, (I'm not including Dover), last season? Most prob on a smallish budget as well, that's a joke.

Agree with you on that.

Notts78
20-09-2021, 01:57 PM
The rumours are that Kewell very quickly alienated some of the senior players at Notts which led to a changing room divide. If he has done something similar at Barnet, it could be a case of we can’t afford to bring in a number of new players so the cheaper option is Kewell goes.
I think he is typically Australian in that he can be quite brash.

laddo
20-09-2021, 02:14 PM

And I thought the amount of games he had at Notts was laughably short. 7?!?

Whoever comes in needs to sort them out defensively, Clean Harry's team was letting in almost 3 a game average! Ouch.

crazyfists
20-09-2021, 02:46 PM

This. Feel abit sorry for him really, he's always at clubs doing crap and I thought was unlucky at Notts as I think he might have kept us up. I think an assistant role and let his reputation come up abit might be a good idea. He was a good player and probably ends up getting mad at the rubbish he sees from some players at these clubs, calls them out and the players kick off. Easier to sack the manager obviously so off he goes again.

ncfcog
20-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Ex Shots player Mark Molesely taken over from Danny Searle … quick work!

PedroTheFisherman66
20-09-2021, 04:27 PM
Is Kewell the unluckiest manager going or does he have a knack of upsetting people, winding them up and going out of his way to find an argument.
A personality defect if you will, I here his nickname around the football circuit was laddo...xx

Notts78
20-09-2021, 05:05 PM
Is Kewell the unluckiest manager going or does he have a knack of upsetting people, winding them up and going out of his way to find an argument.
A personality defect if you will, I here his nickname around the football circuit was laddo...xx

😂

Very good.

jackal2
20-09-2021, 07:56 PM
The rumours are that Kewell very quickly alienated some of the senior players at Notts which led to a changing room divide. If he has done something similar at Barnet, it could be a case of we can’t afford to bring in a number of new players so the cheaper option is Kewell goes. I think he is typically Australian in that he can be quite brash.

I always wondered whether the narrative around his departure from Notts was fair or whether player power had won out because Alan Hardy was in such a weak position by then. We gathered that he had upset at least some in the dressing room, but you could say he had just cause to do so, and that somebody needed to shake things up.

His subsequent departures from Oldham and Barnet maybe suggest that there is something more fundamentally wrong with his approach, because you surely can't be unlucky everywhere. Whatever the truth, it would seem unlikely he'll get back into a football management role at any decent level soon, because his 'stock' is now seriously devalued.

queenslandpie
20-09-2021, 08:31 PM

It's the close season now here and it's only a small one division league with 12 teams. I am sure he'd be welcome with open arms over here. Most of the sports management in this country smacks of arrogance often well placed sometimes not. Perhaps he can get a job working for Alan as a Caddie?

Glad2BeAPie
20-09-2021, 08:44 PM
When Kewell was at Notts he had the "do you know who I am attitude" don't suppose he's changed

magpie_mania
20-09-2021, 08:54 PM
When Kewell was at Notts he had the "do you know who I am attitude" don't suppose he's changed

I am convinced that Hardy wanted Kewell because he was an ex-Liverpool player.

laddo
20-09-2021, 08:58 PM
I am convinced that Hardy wanted Kewell because he was an ex-Liverpool player.

Don't! Just don't m_m , reading your words and believing that you could very well be right hurts.

LaxtonLad
21-09-2021, 06:08 AM
This. Feel abit sorry for him really, he's always at clubs doing crap and I thought was unlucky at Notts as I think he might have kept us up. I think an assistant role and let his reputation come up abit might be a good idea. He was a good player and probably ends up getting mad at the rubbish he sees from some players at these clubs, calls them out and the players kick off. Easier to sack the manager obviously so off he goes again.

Well he takes the jobs at these clubs doing crap but perhaps that's his standard nowadays. If he's trying to improve a crap club but can't do it without getting the elbow after alienating players and owners, then perhaps football management isn't the job for him. As you say he might fit into the role of assistant and learn a bit of man management - if his supposed Aussie temperament can stand it.

crazyfists
21-09-2021, 08:30 AM
True Laxton he might just be a crap manager. I bet that's what his wife thinks when he comes back sacked again and probably thinks it's time to go for a different job.

forwardmagpie
21-09-2021, 08:44 AM
I wish he had stayed with us for the rest of the season.

Elite_Pie
21-09-2021, 08:50 AM
I wish he had stayed with us for the rest of the season.

So do I. The outcome wouldn't have been any worse.

KintoreMagpie
21-09-2021, 01:33 PM
Feel more sorry for Danny Searle as Aldershot seemed to have turned a corner taking 4 points from their last 2 games which were both away. Previous 5 games were all narrow defeats including the one at Notts which, judging by the commentary, could have easily resulted in a draw.
HK seemed to do an ok job at Oldham and, let’s face it, was not given sufficient time at Notts (14 fixtures). To only then get half the number of games at Barnet suggests to me the problem may lie with his personality.

forwardmagpie
21-09-2021, 02:03 PM
Feel more sorry for Danny Searle as Aldershot seemed to have turned a corner taking 4 points from their last 2 games which were both away. Previous 5 games were all narrow defeats including the one at Notts which, judging by the commentary, could have easily resulted in a draw.
HK seemed to do an ok job at Oldham and, let’s face it, was not given sufficient time at Notts (14 fixtures). To only then get half the number of games at Barnet suggests to me the problem may lie with his personality.

I don’t really care about his personality most of the players at Notts when he joined needed their arses kicked constantly until they improved or were shipped out, they were like sulking schoolboys but al least they did better with nice Mr Ardley.

Carlton_Pie
21-09-2021, 02:24 PM
I don’t really care about his personality most of the players at Notts when he joined needed their arses kicked constantly until they improved or were shipped out, they were like sulking schoolboys but al least they did better with nice Mr Ardley.

I though HK was doing a reasonable job in isolating the bad attitude players whilst also picking up a few results along the way.

A few of the "big" name players went crying to AH and he sided with the players, which ironically came back to bite him as these players and HK replacement got us relegated!

laddo
21-09-2021, 02:32 PM
They certainly did none of the 3 managers that season got very much out of that squad. Too many rotten apples and prima donnas?

The thing is with Kewell you can upset people, be blunt, act like the big man, bully a little etc all that is fine if you are getting results and doing well. He didn't at Barnet, he didn't at Notts and from a far at Oldham you could say he did ok/average at best.

You need to better than this to act that way (if the rumours are to be believed). How good you were as a players no matter who you've played for or what you won doesn't translate or mean a jot when you become a manager. Roy Keane could do with remembering that when he's criticising other managers.