PDA

View Full Version : 06 squad Vs 21 Squad

KCNotts
16-10-2021, 08:21 PM
I said earlier that Thompson's 06 team was the worst I thought I'd see at Notts, but that I believe even they would beat our current team. So I thought I'd do a direct comparison...

GK Pilkington/Deeny v Slocombe: winner Pilks
RB Silk v Brindley: winner DRAW
RWB Pipe v DKE: winner Pipe (no contest)
LB Mayo v Chicksen: DRAW
LWB McCann v Taylor: winner McCann
CB Edwards v Cameron: winner Edwards
CB Hunt v Lacey: winner Lacey
CB Somner v Rawlinson: DRAW
W Parkinson v Roberts: winner Parkinson (on current form)
CM Ross v Palmer: winner Palmer
CM Smith v JOB/Francis: DRAW
W NToya v Rodders winner: Rodders
CF Lee v Wootton: Winner Lee (crazy but true)
CF Dudfield v Mitchell: winner Dudfield
F Hector Sam v Nemane: DRAW

Pretty even on paper, BUT the 06 team knew how to battle and go to war. I think they would beat this current team quote easily.

Elite_Pie
16-10-2021, 08:41 PM
Completely different styles, and I think the squad we have now should beat Thomo’s lot.

The fear I have is that the lesser team would win simply because they wanted it more.

laddo
16-10-2021, 08:41 PM
I don't quote agree.

I know the 06 were in a higher league obviously so you would expect them to be better but ugly. I mean UGLY! Horrible. Yuk. No thanks, not again.

KCNotts
16-10-2021, 08:42 PM
Completely different styles, and I think the squad we have now should beat Thomo’s lot.

The fear I have is that the lesser team would win simply because they wanted it more.

Just like Woking, Altrincham and Halifax then...

Elite_Pie
16-10-2021, 08:46 PM
I don't quote agree.

I know the 06 were in a higher league obviously so you would expect them to be better but ugly. I mean UGLY! Horrible. Yuk. No thanks, not again.

Give me an ugly winner over a pretty loser any day of the week. Ugly winners get 3 points, pretty losers get f*ck all.

It’s a football match, not a beauty contest.

magpie_mania
16-10-2021, 08:54 PM
Any excuse really to have a go at DKE. Regular Saturday night reading from KCNotts.

Selective comparison, comparing him to Pipe as a RWB which Pipe wasn't!

KCNotts
16-10-2021, 08:57 PM
Give me an ugly winner over a pretty loser any day of the week. Ugly winners get 3 points, pretty losers get f*ck all.

I'm inclined to agree. Even though that side was awful though, there were chinks of light. Jason Lee was an old campaigner and actually a pretty decent player. Parky was dangerous on his day, Eddy and Pills were steady and Pipe was one of the best right sided players we've had since Finnan. The rest were truly awful though.

KCNotts
16-10-2021, 08:58 PM
Any excuse really to have a go at DKE. Regular Saturday night reading from KCNotts.

Selective comparison, comparing him to Pipe as a RWB which Pipe wasn't!

Regular viewing seeing you taking exception to it too. Well DKE isn't a RWB either so that's even.

magpie_mania
16-10-2021, 09:03 PM
Regular viewing seeing you taking exception to it too. Well DKE isn't a RWB either so that's even.
So why not compare Silk with DKE and imo DKE wins easily.

laddo
16-10-2021, 09:05 PM

No sh!t Sherlock. We all prefer winning to losing.

But there is nothing worse when you play ugly and lose. You leave the ground thinking I barely saw any football today.

We can all remember those games. Yuk

KCNotts
16-10-2021, 09:07 PM
So why not compare Silk with DKE and imo DKE wins easily.

Because I compared Brindley to Silk?! You're entitled to your view, thanks for contributing.

DKE is rubbish though. You'll realise one day.

Big Bob
16-10-2021, 09:11 PM
This team now is the worst as we can't even compete in the national league. We look a below average to relegation fodder...yet again

laddo
16-10-2021, 09:20 PM
This team now is the worst as we can't even compete in the national league. We look a below average to relegation fodder...yet again

Relegation fodder again? I heard the comment about relegation last season too , we finished 5th. Also heard it on here the season before we finished 3rd. Absolutely no sign of anything other than play offs and he last two season regardless how the pitchfork ers try to rewrite history. It just didn't happen or get anywhere close to happening. If you are going to make big wild statements Bob at least back it up with some facts.

Unless of course you are talking about the Hardy season in L2 when we had three managers in one season after starting off as one of the title favourites and did actually get relegated. If that's the case then I'll let you off#toxiccircus

magpie_mania
16-10-2021, 10:17 PM
Because I compared Brindley to Silk?! You're entitled to your view, thanks for contributing.

DKE is rubbish though. You'll realise one day.

In your opinion.

Why didn't you compare Brindley with Pipe?

KCNotts
17-10-2021, 05:16 AM
In your opinion.

Why didn't you compare Brindley with Pipe?

Okay Mania, just for you:

Pipe v Brindley: winner PIPE
Silk v DKE: winner SILK

I'll go even further for you: i predict that we shall sign a new RB/RWB before the end of the season. DKE will not get a new deal, he will be released and end up at Basford or somewhere similar.

kill_the_drum
17-10-2021, 06:21 AM

We don’t now, and we didn’t then!

Notts78
17-10-2021, 06:25 AM

I would also like to add that the 06 squad was vastly experienced. Not just in age, but also the levels played. The 06 squad were never asked to pass the ball the way the current crop do.

The reality is that we have a young squad, many on here were beating the drum for that to happen. Many didn’t want any players towards the end of their careers looking for a final pay day. Ironically, IMO it’s a couple of older heads we need. The 06 squad was the other way. But boy, to have an Edwards, Smith or Lee in the squad would make a huge difference.

queenslandpie
17-10-2021, 07:48 AM
I dont agree with all of the OP's assesment and really I am not in a position to comment but I did see the 06 team a bit as I was in the UK for an extended period at the time and whilst they were poo they knew how to battle and had heart. if you played 10 games it would be easy for the 06 team to win 3 the current team to win 3 by a big margin and 4 to be 0-0 draws.

crazyfists
17-10-2021, 08:00 AM
I'm not sure about the whole comparison thing but there's no way Mayo is near Chicksens level, Mayo was one of my all time useless players and Chicksen is actually decent. I think our current team fully fit beats the 06 one but they are two different teams and times so would be interesting to see.

KCNotts
17-10-2021, 08:52 AM
Seems I forgot a few regulars from 06, we also had experienced CB Alan White and Junior Mendes.

I remember us doing most of our shopping from Grimsby and Boston that season. Yikes.

KCNotts
17-10-2021, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure about the whole comparison thing but there's no way Mayo is near Chicksens level, Mayo was one of my all time useless players and Chicksen is actually decent. I think our current team fully fit beats the 06 one but they are two different teams and times so would be interesting to see.

Yeah I hear you. Mayo was pretty poor and his career dropped off after leaving us. But...Chicksen was given the opportunity to leave last season and nobody was that interested. You have to ask yourself, why is he at our level?

IMO he's a poor LB and just an okay CB. But really why would you have somebody so physically underwhelming at CB in the National League? very replaceable.

Carlton_Pie
17-10-2021, 09:29 AM
Yeah I hear you. Mayo was pretty poor and his career dropped off after leaving us. But...Chicksen was given the opportunity to leave last season and nobody was that interested. You have to ask yourself, why is he at our level?

IMO he's a poor LB and just an okay CB. But really why would you have somebody so physically underwhelming at CB in the National League? very replaceable.

KC do you actually watch the games?

Chicksen is not a poor left back.

I do agree DKE is pretty terrible though

laddo
17-10-2021, 09:30 AM
Seems I forgot a few regulars from 06, we also had experienced CB Alan White and Junior Mendes.

I remember us doing most of our shopping from Grimsby and Boston that season. Yikes.

The manager probably knew that small footballing hotbed better than most thanks to all his extensive local radio work in the area XD

KCNotts
17-10-2021, 09:34 AM
KC do you actually watch the games?

Chicksen is not a poor left back.

I do agree DKE is pretty terrible though

I go to the majority of the home games Carlton. But I like to think I can spot a player after the last 25 years of largely dross.

I'm just a realist pal.

i961pie
17-10-2021, 09:47 AM
It is difficult to make a comparison because the 06 team were playing in a higher league against better teams and players than our present side are facing. How many of this team would you keep if by some miracle we get promoted?

KCNotts
17-10-2021, 09:55 AM
Good question.

A lot of our squad were presumably let go from that level as they were deemed not good enough (Rawlinson, Lacey, Chicksen, Francis etc)

I'd probably keep Cameron, Lacey (maybe), Palmer, Wootton, Rodders and Roberts (if he can sort out his form). The rest can go.

Russ_OTF
17-10-2021, 09:56 AM
You lost me by thinking Parkinson is better than Roberts.

Joke thread from a clown.

KCNotts
17-10-2021, 10:08 AM

Oh right. How many games has Roberts played in the Football League? How many had Parkinson played prior to joining us?

Disagree by all means, but save your insults please. Or perhaps, make your own thread? Try contributing something else other than put downs? You may like it.

Elite_Pie
17-10-2021, 10:10 AM

Really? Andy Parkinson played a fair bit in the Championship and League 1, and also in a League Cup final. Cal Roberts is currently struggling to merit a place in a mid-table National League side. Roberts still has an awful lot to do to live up to his reputation.

keldsyke
17-10-2021, 10:21 AM

The difference is that Parkinson performed consistently enough over his career to warrant playing in higher leagues, unfortunately Roberts hasn’t hence why he’s struggling in a National League team. I hope you go to matches and based your opinion on that and was not drawn into the hysterics whipped up by the non attendees on here.

upthemaggies
17-10-2021, 11:05 AM
The most objective way to compare would be by clubs they next played for, but we can't do that until this squad have all moved on. I think the majority of the 2006/07 team did move on to other league clubs or ex-league clubs waiting to return (like Parkinson to Cambridge). Pipe went to Bristol Rovers who must have been tier 3 at the time, a fair few others went to Mansfield (Martin, Silk, Somner, Lee).