PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain That F1 Shambles To Me?

mickd1961
12-12-2021, 08:42 PM
Regardless of personal opinion on Lewis Hamilton ( I'm not a fan due to his "virtue signalling" b o l l o x ) I just cannot get my head around the way he was robbed at the end of today's race.

For the race director ( Masi ) to change the rules during a race I the way that he did that then left Hamilton as a sitting duck absolutely stinks.

Something isn't right here, there's a massive stench hanging over this.

I don't think there's any integrity in F1 at all, it's as corrupt as boxing, how on earth can the rule be the rule up until the last lap of a season and then be changed on the hoof like that?

Like I said, I'm no Hamilton fan but this was an absolute disgrace.

BaggieBlood
12-12-2021, 09:20 PM
F ucking farce. I never liked the sport and only ever watched when a British could win it on the last day.

He was about 11 seconds ahead when someone crashed so the same rule should apply as the virtual car but everyone reduces to by 95 % speed or whatever is safest.

This is why a s hitty minority sports stays where it belongs.

Changing the rules as you go along. Ffs.
Horner put the pressure on a the pri ck caved. I hope they take it to cas and win.

Omegstrat6
12-12-2021, 09:25 PM
Agree! I guess that "technically" the decision could be deemed correct as Masi was allowed to use his discretion but the problem is in how that discretion seems to go against other rules that have been consistently applied in the past. As for LH, like yourself, have not been much of a fan of his behaviour over recent years but must say he acted with some graciousness in this particular situation.

kettering_baggie
12-12-2021, 10:13 PM
You could argue that the rules are too complex. I don’t know, I stopped being interested in F1 many years ago when it became, to my mind, a glorified Formula Ford. I certainly don’t consider F1 to be Grands Prix racing; many of the circuits are horrible flat boring affairs, effectively giant Scalextric creations set in horrible countries, like today’s ‘race’ was. The cars look and sound too much alike and in my opinion, the drivers aren’t in the same league as Grands Prix drivers of old. As for Lewis Hamilton, yes he’s obviously a good driver but hasn’t had any real competition for most of his career and his Mercedes has been far and away the best car for years now. I don’t think that Lewis races anything else, does he? The late, great Jim Clark raced all sorts, F1, F2, Indianapolis, saloon cars and sports cars, sometimes racing two or three classes on the same day, usually winning all of them. There hasn’t been a proper Grand Prix for very many years.

mickd1961
12-12-2021, 10:30 PM
I can't think of another sport where someone running miles behind like Latifi was, is allowed to effect the final result in such a way.

It is such an easy sport to corrupt, all you need is is a lowly ranked nomark like Latifi who is willing to take a bung ( not that I'm suggesting he did ) and that bribe could be paid off years in the future in a multitude of ways.

At the point the race had reached there was three simple and fair ways to conclude matters,

1/ Everyone retains their track position and no tyre changes are allowed for anyone,

2/ The race finishes under safety car rules.

F1 "needed" a new champion today and it ensured that it got it.........end of!

Barrera
13-12-2021, 12:56 AM
Totally agree with all the above. An absolute farce. Hamilton dominated that race from start to the final lap. And then to lose not only the race but the championship on the whim of this faceless Masi guy was a disgrace. As a viewer I couldn’t even follow what was happening. One minute Brundle was saying “there are five cars between Verstappen and Hamilton so effectively race over”. Next minute Verstappen is right up his A*** on a second fresh pair of tyres and as you say Hamilton was a sitting duck.

Makes you wonder whether the whole thing is contrived like WWE.

Omegstrat6
13-12-2021, 02:15 AM
You could argue that the rules are too complex. I don’t know, I stopped being interested in F1 many years ago when it became, to my mind, a glorified Formula Ford. I certainly don’t consider F1 to be Grands Prix racing; many of the circuits are horrible flat boring affairs, effectively giant Scalextric creations set in horrible countries, like today’s ‘race’ was. The cars look and sound too much alike and in my opinion, the drivers aren’t in the same league as Grands Prix drivers of old. As for Lewis Hamilton, yes he’s obviously a good driver but hasn’t had any real competition for most of his career and his Mercedes has been far and away the best car for years now. I don’t think that Lewis races anything else, does he? The late, great Jim Clark raced all sorts, F1, F2, Indianapolis, saloon cars and sports cars, sometimes racing two or three classes on the same day, usually winning all of them. There hasn’t been a proper Grand Prix for very many years.

Sadly agree with much of this. The sport has changed so much over the years -and not for the better! Maybe those of us brought up with the likes of Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart and Graham Hill and then James Hunt and Niki Lauda are all looking back with rose tinted glasses?🙄

WBA1955
13-12-2021, 10:14 AM
I have gone off Hamilton since he made those racist remarks, the same with Joshua, they are a pair of d icks. Love to see the t ossers get beat.
People are very forgiving in this country, I see Boris is still running it.

soulman101
13-12-2021, 11:49 AM
The tax avoider is being knighted on Wednesday.

mickd1961
13-12-2021, 12:48 PM
The tax avoider is being knighted on Wednesday.

BaggieAl is getting a knighthood?

phild
13-12-2021, 02:30 PM
I have gone off Hamilton since he made those racist remarks, the same with Joshua, they are a pair of d icks. Love to see the t ossers get beat.
People are very forgiving in this country, I see Boris is still running it.

Seconded, I'm pleased Verstappen gets the title no matter how he was awarded it.

SCOOP115
13-12-2021, 02:35 PM
Went to my first Grand Prix (as a spectator) in 1971. Went to my last Grand Prix (as a Marshal) in 2005 Over that time I have seen Formula 1 change from being a sporting event, to a business, and now a TV entertainment Show with big bucks at stake.
I've been involved in British Motorsprt for about 45 years now and it's obvious the further up the ladder the event status, the more "political" it becomes Mainly due to the amount of money invoved. It is however still possible to get a simple One day Club event where the guys racing are pure amateurs in self prepared cars, racing for the fun of it. Guess where I prefer to spend my time now .

BaggieBlood
13-12-2021, 05:08 PM
Went to my first Grand Prix (as a spectator) in 1971. Went to my last Grand Prix (as a Marshal) in 2005 Over that time I have seen Formula 1 change from being a sporting event, to a business, and now a TV entertainment Show with big bucks at stake.
I've been involved in British Motorsprt for about 45 years now and it's obvious the further up the ladder the event status, the more "political" it becomes Mainly due to the amount of money invoved. It is however still possible to get a simple One day Club event where the guys racing are pure amateurs in self prepared cars, racing for the fun of it. Guess where I prefer to spend my time now .

At the Hawthorns.