PDA

View Full Version : Cauley Woodrow

animallittle3
19-12-2021, 10:43 AM
According to The Athletic he's on his way to Albion next month .

Barrera
19-12-2021, 10:48 AM
If true that’s good news ..... rated thus guy for years ..... always used to score against us ....

mickd1961
19-12-2021, 11:01 AM
I’ve mentioned Woodrow many times on here as someone Albion should buy.

I’ll believe it when I see it though as it’ll involve something called “money”.

WBA1955
19-12-2021, 11:04 AM
He was great in Lonesome Dove.

baggiematt
19-12-2021, 11:58 AM
A quick google says his contracts up in the summer and £1million is being touted.

Was it him who scored a couple of cracking goals against us a couple of seasons ago?

Still concerned about his goal record, but I gather he’s featured slightly behind strikers for some of his Barnsley tenure. Hopefully he would be one of two strikers bought

baggiematt
19-12-2021, 12:10 PM
A quick google says his contracts up in the summer and £1million is being touted.

Was it him who scored a couple of cracking goals against us a couple of seasons ago?

Still concerned about his goal record, but I gather he’s featured slightly behind strikers for some of his Barnsley tenure. Hopefully he would be one of two strikers bought

Scratch that, a more reliable site says his contract runs to 2023.

animallittle3
19-12-2021, 01:12 PM

He's not played in his best position since we were promoted from league one baggie .

His best time here was up top in a two when he played alongside Kieffer Moore .

He has to play that floating just behind the strikers role which in all honesty I've never got because he's a good finisher is Cauley and it's ruined him in my opinion .

He could be a very smart buy for Albion if he's played right .

BaggieBlood
19-12-2021, 03:16 PM
He's not played in his best position since we were promoted from league one baggie .

His best time here was up top in a two when he played alongside Kieffer Moore .

He has to play that floating just behind the strikers role which in all honesty I've never got because he's a good finisher is Cauley and it's ruined him in my opinion .

He could be a very smart buy for Albion if he's played right .

Where did he play for you under Val then Animal?

Alongside Dike or just behind him?

From your reference to Moore, does he prefer feeding off the knockdown of a big man because we haven't got one?

animallittle3
19-12-2021, 04:23 PM
Where did he play for you under Val then Animal?

Alongside Dike or just behind him?

From your reference to Moore, does he prefer feeding off the knockdown of a big man because we haven't got one?

We played with three up top under Val but Cauley was always the one who dropped off looking to pick the ball up off the midfield .

Under Struber the year when we stayed up at Brentford in the last minute of the season he played even deeper .

We've always said that Cauley's never quite been the same since big Kieffer was sold and it's a travesty for us they never played together in the championship .

Alright it was League one but they were sensational together .

Cardiff tried reuniting them last season but we turned their offer of £2m for Cauley down .

DaveP67 is back!
19-12-2021, 06:54 PM
Don’t think he will work for us, we need an out and out striker..

Yarmbaggie
19-12-2021, 07:15 PM

You never know, worked well alongside one donkey in Keifer Moore, now who could fit that bill any better than Hugill?

You’ve got to keep a sense of realism as well as sarcasm to follow us nowadays.

baggieal
19-12-2021, 07:17 PM

I agree and a creative midfielder as the only thing creative about Livermore is delegging an opponent as he can't pass - can't tackle - can't be mobile and can't read a ball. We need a Pereira or Krov to produce some magic and give some service to any striker.

Acido
19-12-2021, 07:30 PM
You can have him, he hasn't been the same and hasn't been funny since the beeb kicked him off Mock the week (yes Im saying I think he looks like Russell Howard) lol.

All he does these days is stand around gesturing and pointing the finger at people, ohh and he also likes to fiddle with his shorts a lot. 😃

wbaliquidator
22-12-2021, 03:15 PM
More intense speculation on this guy no doubt he can finish but I’m not sure he is answer if he needs to play as a two.

That’s our problem no proper centre forward. I wonder how many more Grant and Robinson would have scored if they had been fed knockdowns and flick on’s as one would expect. Hugill one goal and NO assists.

We really need two orthodox centre forwards in my opinion, one as a backup.
Woodrow would probably improve the stats but a genuine centre forward would perhaps open the floodgates. At the very least the opposition would have someone to mark and our other forwards would get less attention.

DaveP67 is back!
22-12-2021, 03:30 PM
Bit sad really, we used to scour the international market for firepower, now we just scour Barnsley’s bins… FOL

baggiematt
22-12-2021, 03:31 PM
I've never seen a player like Hugill. He loses nearly all individual battles against the defender. He ends up fouling them more often than not.

You can tolerate a striker not scoring if they were playing well and providing chances but Hugill is the worst I've seen at our club for years. Some strikers just need a goal and they improve. He got one at Bristol and has got even worse since then!

Woodrow would at least be a step up but it's a shame that we're now a club chasing average championship strikers rather than getting quality - I mean we're chasing a bloke who's only scored 4 goals this term.

I agree, we need two strikers to allow for proper competition - Hugill can go back or just sit in the under 23's.

Leicesterbaggie
22-12-2021, 04:15 PM
The comments from Barnsley fans don't exactly fill me with confidence.

mickd1961
22-12-2021, 04:52 PM
I think Woodrow is more than an “average” Championship centre forward, then again, it could just be that he’s always seemed to play well or score against.

Maybe we should take heed of history and not fall into “Grimsby” mode again.

In the early to mid 90’s we constantly had our a r s e s handed to us by Buckley’s Grimsby and thus took him in as manager and then signed Groves, Rees, Gilbert and I think a couple of others and they were all dire for us.

Could perform at a nonentity club under no pressure and then wilted at the big club with expectations.

Woodrow could be the same all over again I guess.

soulman101
22-12-2021, 06:25 PM
Some of his goals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMPCZQFDIEk

saltnshake
23-12-2021, 02:13 AM
At least we seem to be doing something for the start of the window and Woodrow will be ready to play rather than waiting until the end of the window and needing the player to get fit.

9goals2hattricks3pen
23-12-2021, 01:47 PM
We must have been linked with a dozen or so different strikers. Question is who has any confidence in us getting the right one?

boingy
23-12-2021, 02:18 PM
It seems that getting an out and out number 9 must be like finding a needle in a hay stack. We must be missing something here. Our club doesn't buy a number 9. It puts players who don't play there in that position.