PDA

View Full Version : Jesus

WBA1955
22-12-2021, 06:07 AM
He's a bit like Robin Hood, the stories about him weren't told until years after his death, there is no historical or archilogical evidence that either ever existed.
Both legend's were born in a time of oppression by a conquering people. Folk's looked for a hero or saviour to give them back their freedom.
Both stories were probably based on some distant forgotten figure and storytelling and legend did the rest.
Robin Hood was a mixture of a memory of a cut throat robber mixed with the legends of the spirit of the woods, or the Green Man. The Robin Hood stories we remember today, were not written until a few centuries later, and most of the figures were invented for traditional days like May Day events.
The story of the Christ was probably a memory of a local rabble rouser who upset the authorities and was crucified. Later people under the Roman yolk would take him as a dead leader, and the stories would grow over the years.
Almost nothing is said to be known about the life of Jesus until he was crucified around 33 years of age. But now we know where he was born, under what circumstances, who called to see him and even what they brought him.
Absolute rubbish.😂😂😂

Omegstrat6
22-12-2021, 07:44 AM
He's a bit like Robin Hood, the stories about him weren't told until years after his death, there is no historical or archilogical evidence that either ever existed.
Both legend's were born in a time of oppression by a conquering people. Folk's looked for a hero or saviour to give them back their freedom.
Both stories were probably based on some distant forgotten figure and storytelling and legend did the rest.
Robin Hood was a mixture of a memory of a cut throat robber mixed with the legends of the spirit of the woods, or the Green Man. The Robin Hood stories we remember today, were not written until a few centuries later, and most of the figures were invented for traditional days like May Day events.
The story of the Christ was probably a memory of a local rabble rouser who upset the authorities and was crucified. Later people under the Roman yolk would take him as a dead leader, and the stories would grow over the years.
Almost nothing is said to be known about the life of Jesus until he was crucified around 33 years of age. But now we know where he was born, under what circumstances, who called to see him and even what they brought him.
Absolute rubbish.😂😂😂

Jesus indeed! Discussions around politics can be bad enough and now you want to bring religion into it 😃😃😃

Exiledvillan
22-12-2021, 07:52 AM
Good auld 'King Arthur' could be added to that list 55.

Myths and Legends, all of them. With Messers Hood and Arthur being more believable, imo.

WBA1955
22-12-2021, 07:55 AM
Jesus indeed! Discussions around politics can be bad enough and now you want to bring religion into it 😃😃😃

Think of all the people who have wasted every Sunday going to church talking to an imaginary friend.😃
Life was created by chemical reactions not by divine intervention.

Omegstrat6
22-12-2021, 08:03 AM
Think of all the people who have wasted every Sunday going to church talking to an imaginary friend.😃

Lots of unanswerable questions about the creation of the universe/infinity etc and guess the various forms of religion over the years have been a way of them trying to explain such things. For myself, I'm more in the Dawkins camp as religion -especially organized religion- seems more about power and enabling the few to control the many and the root of numerous wars/hatred. You do not need religion to have a moral compass either.

kettering_baggie
22-12-2021, 08:40 AM
Maybe this gives y’all a clearer picture……….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suoJ6mLVBlU

TipperaryBaggie
22-12-2021, 09:30 AM
For one minute I thought that we had been linked to the Man City striker in the January transfer window!

WBA1955
22-12-2021, 09:55 AM
For one minute I thought that we had been linked to the Man City striker in the January transfer window!

😂😂😂😂
Their Jesus is also good at getting on the end of a cross.

Joy_Division
22-12-2021, 10:01 AM

I attend Church every Sunday and I certainly do not feel like I am wasting my time. I could say the same thing about about someone who attends every Albion game. Are they wasting their time? If you get something out of it then its not a waste of time. I feel de-stressed and happy when I have been to Church and my Faith has helped me no end of times to handle bad times and unhappy times. I do not know why people need to mock a people of Faith. Get on with your own lives and leave us to ours

wba13
22-12-2021, 10:14 AM
I never go to church except for the usual weddings and funerals, but to knock those who do is totally out of order and disrespectful.
I am sorry some posters act like this Joy, each to there own I say and I have the utmost respect for those who keep the faith. It’s not for me but if that’s what you enjoy good on you I say.

Baggies_Boy_Tony
22-12-2021, 11:00 AM
I attend Church every Sunday and I certainly do not feel like I am wasting my time. I could say the same thing about about someone who attends every Albion game. Are they wasting their time? If you get something out of it then its not a waste of time. I feel de-stressed and happy when I have been to Church and my Faith has helped me no end of times to handle bad times and unhappy times. I do not know why people need to mock a people of Faith. Get on with your own lives and leave us to ours

My views exactly Paul, I also attend church every weekend and have done for over 70 odd years, it brings me comfort in difficult times. I've had disagreements with Des in the past concerning people's faiths and beliefs, I won't change his mind and he certainly won't change mine

WBA1955
22-12-2021, 11:04 AM
People are brought up to believe things without questioning them. That is happening now.
I like to get information on things and make my own mind up. I have never had a closed mind or read only one book.
I can't believe after all the technology and evidence we have at our disposal today people still believe this stuff.
Having faith in what you believe in is one thing but torturing and killing non believers in fairy tales is insane.
We are just another species of animal, when we die that's it, kaput. Some people can't wait to get into the next life. There isn't one, this is as good as it gets.
Enjoy it.

boingy
22-12-2021, 11:17 AM
Evolution is the most ridiculous belief ever. Design requires a designer. Can you imagine an art exhibition coming about by an explosion in a paint factory? I agree each to his own but I knew life was created before I was 5. It doesn’t take rocket science to work it out. Just a pair of eyes.

Omegstrat6
22-12-2021, 11:39 AM
Maybe this gives y’all a clearer picture……….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suoJ6mLVBlU

Thanks for posting! Only fairly recently discovered John Prine and that was through Swamp Dog's quite moving version of Sam Stone (worth checking out if you don't already know it).

As regards religions, like I posted earlier, I'm not a great fan as they have been the cause of much conflict in the past and even today but I do accept that for many still their faith is important to them and gives them both strength and solace so I wouldn't knock that side of it. Each to their own as long as it doesn't harm others.

westcountryvillain
22-12-2021, 06:26 PM
Evolution is the most ridiculous belief ever. Design requires a designer. Can you imagine an art exhibition coming about by an explosion in a paint factory? I agree each to his own but I knew life was created before I was 5. It doesn’t take rocket science to work it out. Just a pair of eyes.

Agreed, religion is a manmade concept, faith is much more than that.

Exiledvillan
22-12-2021, 07:40 PM
Evolution took millions of years, way longer than God’s supposed 6 day week. According to the rules of God, set out in the Bible, the World is only around 6000 years old.

Mmmmmm? ‘Radiocarbon dating’ may beg to differ, but hey, why ruin a good story.

Religion and faith are 2 different entities. Faith is hope and trust. Religion is lies and control. It is possible to have faith, but not be into an Organised Religion.

astle71
25-12-2021, 10:33 AM
Jesus died on the cross for our sins.Jesus will return to take those that have faith and love for the lord Jesus and who repent their sins and allow Jesus into their lives it’s called the rapture.People think that when they die they go to heaven just because someone has led a good life or so think they go to heaven think again those who have faith in the lord Jesus go heaven.
The truth hurts
The lord is coming to collect his people
The lord thy Shepard

mickd1961
25-12-2021, 11:03 AM
Jesus died on the cross for our sins.Jesus will return to take those that have faith and love for the lord Jesus and who repent their sins and allow Jesus into their lives it’s called the rapture.People think that when they die they go to heaven just because someone has led a good life or so think they go to heaven think again those who have faith in the lord Jesus go heaven.
The truth hurts
The lord is coming to collect his people
The lord thy Shepard

Hughill should be safe cometh the hour of reckoning then........he dies on every cross we put in the f e c k I n box!

phild
25-12-2021, 11:03 AM

:star:

Prando
25-12-2021, 02:47 PM
We were both brought up as Catholics and have maintained our beliefs. We consider we gave both our children a similar upbringing. As adults, they have made their own religious decisions for themselves and their families of which we are supportive. For us, it is very much a personal decision and a life choice to try and treat people as we would wish to be treated ourselves.
Difficult sometimes !

SwedishBaggie
25-12-2021, 07:00 PM

”Can you imagine an art exhibition coming about by an explosion in a paint factory?”

Looking at some, so called, art exhibitions, yes.

WBA1955
26-12-2021, 08:23 AM
It's all about self interest and fear. People only believe in Jesus because they think they will have another throw of the dice.
So if you are Hitler, Jimmy Saville or the Yorkshire Ripper or Myra Hindley and believe in Jesus and repent your sins you will go to heaven, but if you don't believe you won't no matter how much of a good life you have led?
The old testament God wasn't forgiving, he used to turn people into pillars of salt, raze cities and cause flood's. The new bloke is a p ussy.
Is there anything more frightening than the prospect of living forever?

Albionic68
26-12-2021, 12:53 PM
It's all about......

....... fishing. I swear you could have fed the 5,000 single handedly without need for celestial intervention Des'. Bad lad 😊 .

WBA1955
26-12-2021, 01:20 PM
....... fishing. I swear you could have fed the 5,000 single handedly without need for celestial intervention Des'. Bad lad 😊 .

😮😂😂😂
I put a post on a Baggies FB site about womens football saying that if they have nothing to do in the kitchen they should stick to things they are good at, like netball, rounders and other American games.
I had over four hundred replies asking for me to be banned, instead they sent me a badge saying that I cause interest and discussion.
They did delete the post a couple of weeks later, but not me.😁

mickd1961
26-12-2021, 01:52 PM
It's all about self interest and fear. People only believe in Jesus because they think they will have another throw of the dice.
So if you are Hitler, Jimmy Saville or the Yorkshire Ripper or Myra Hindley and believe in Jesus and repent your sins you will go to heaven, but if you don't believe you won't no matter how much of a good life you have led?
The old testament God wasn't forgiving, he used to turn people into pillars of salt, raze cities and cause flood's. The new bloke is a p ussy.
Is there anything more frightening than the prospect of living forever?

Your first paragraph hits the nail on the head Des.

My in-laws were Christadelphions, along the same path as Jeahovah’s apart from they celebrate Xmas.

Father in law preached at the Lye church three times a day on a Sunday and my wife and her siblings were forced to attend.

In May 81 my wife’s soon to be 18 year old brother was driving his mini van up be Old Halesonian’s rugby club on Wynall Lane near Stourbridge when he had a devastating crash and suffered a fatal head injury.

He was on life support for a few hours before they were told he was brain dead and the machine was turned off.

Father in law was so angry that his prayers were not answered that he never attended the church again, he felt he was “owed one” in effect, he just didn’t get what religion was about, it was all about HIM in his own head....you pay in and at some point you cash a chip when you need to.

The church elders upset mother in law by not being upset for their loss but reminding the family he’d been called by his maker and was going to “a better place”.

This of course was what they should’ve been thinking IF they truly understood the meaning of the teachings at their church and the teachings father in law himself espoused three times every Sunday.

He could still be an overly pious and pompous man from 86 when I met my wife and for the rest of his healthy days when dementia set in, he was 92 a couple of days before Xmas.

The strange thing was that me and him never really got on, I was the only person in the family “brave enough” to challenge him and to argue his nonsense with him.

Yet, when he was p I s s e d and he was relaxed with his defences down he was wonderful company and very funny.

Religion turned him into a bully and a tyrant towards his own family.