View Full Version : Burnley v Everton Match Preview

outwoodclaret
23-12-2021, 09:26 AM
This will be (if it goes ahead!) our first match in a fortnight since a 0-0 draw against West Ham on December 12, and that match break due not to the vagaries of winter but the postponement just hours before kick off of our scheduled games against Watford and Aston Villa. It is devoutly to be hoped that fans travelling to Turf Moor on Boxing Day will be able to take their seats and enjoy a Lancashire Derby.

When these two teams met in September at Goodison Park Ben Mee gave Burnley the lead early in the second half. However rapid fire goals from ex-Claret Michael Keane, Andres Townsend and Demarai Gray saw Everton run out convincing 3-1 winners. Everton were at this early stage of the season enjoying a successful run under new manager Rafa Benitez. Their league form since the end of September has however slumped with only one win in their last 11 PL games. A lengthy injury list meant Gray, Rondon, Delph, Richarlison and Townsend all missed their last match at Chelsea on December 16 joining long term absentees Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Tom Davies and Yerry Mina. A number of these players including Calvert-Lewin will however now have had additional time to recover from injury and be fit to play at Turf Moor. For their part Burnley could welcome back to their attack Clarets fans Player of the Year Maxwel Cornet. Cornet’s availability could well be key to Burnley’s hopes over the festive period when they also have away trips to Manchester United (December 30) and then Leeds United (January 2nd). The Ivory Coast international is due to depart after the Everton game to play for his country in the Africa Cup of Nations but his release date could be delayed until January 3rd. Otherwise, barring the intervention of Covid, there are likely to be few changes to the team Sean Dyche sent out to face West Ham.

Boxing Day clashes between these two clubs are not uncommon. They have previously met 5 times on this date with Everton winning 4 and drawing one of these fixtures. On 26/12/2018 Burnley capitulated 5-1 at Turf Moor while exactly one year later Everton triumphed on home turf with a single Dominic Calvert-Lewis goal. The match referee on that occasion at Goodison in 2019 was Anthony Taylor who will again be taking charge of Sunday’s game assisted on VAR by John Brooks. The weather forecast is good with sunny intervals and a moderate breeze. I apologise for the somewhat premature delivery of this match preview but they keep sending me reminders to post early for Christmas! Wishing Clarets everywhere a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and hoping Burnley will give us the precious gift of three points. COYC!

The Bedlington Terrier
23-12-2021, 09:49 AM
Superb stuff outwood. Merry Christmas to you and yours - hope to meet up with you and sinky sometime in January.

outwoodclaret
23-12-2021, 10:39 AM
Superb stuff outwood. Merry Christmas to you and yours - hope to meet up with you and sinky sometime in January.

I will hold you to that BT! Merry Christmas! Outwood.

kritichris
23-12-2021, 11:11 AM
Cheers for the preview Outwood and Merry Christmas to you and yours and a happy New Year for all.

sinkov
23-12-2021, 10:31 PM
I didn't realise Everton were in such a bad way, the bookies have us strong favourites to WIN this game. :O

The Bedlington Terrier
24-12-2021, 03:45 AM
I didn't realise Everton were in such a bad way, the bookies have us strong favourites to WIN this game. :O

That's why the EPL will allow a postponement request from Everton mon ami.

Supersub6
24-12-2021, 11:48 AM
Quelle surprise ---it is off! Our last fixture that we played was Sunday 12 December and there is no guarantee that we will play again this year. Never mind, they can fixture us to play 4 games per week towards the end of the season!

The Bedlington Terrier
24-12-2021, 01:57 PM
Quelle surprise ---it is off! Our last fixture that we played was Sunday 12 December and there is no guarantee that we will play again this year. Never mind, they can fixture us to play 4 games per week towards the end of the season!

Might or might not work to our advantage Supersub6. I'm not bothered either way, because the EPL hierarchy constantly compromises the integrity of the English Premier League, I'm ready for a season or two of Championship football. B)

sinkov
27-12-2021, 01:18 AM
This postponement is a massive bonus for us, we will now have three extra games to play after the January window, when the 3/4 quality signings that are coming will have bedded in. It will be a doddle now for our strengthened squad to sail out of the bottom three and up to mid table security.

It could not have worked out better had we planned it. O:)

outwoodclaret
27-12-2021, 02:29 AM
I am reasonably sure that when they talked about the next wave of Covid cases they hadn’t reckoned with it being

Watford
Aston
Villa
Everton

We can probably wave goodbye to a slice of the points we would have surely have garnered from those three games had they taken place on the original dates.

Just hope the current crop running the PL get their comeuppance somewhere along the line as it sure seems they have been stitching up Burnley.

Balanbam00
27-12-2021, 04:28 AM
In short .''we are walking the gang plank.''

kritichris
28-12-2021, 11:45 AM
I am reasonably sure that when they talked about the next wave of Covid cases they hadn’t reckoned with it being

Watford
Aston
Villa
Everton

We can probably wave goodbye to a slice of the points we would have surely have garnered from those three games had they taken place on the original dates.

Just hope the current crop running the PL get their comeuppance somewhere along the line as it sure seems they have been stitching up Burnley.

That's how I tend to see it, with a lot of results going our way we could have been out of the mire if those games were played. C'est la vie.