PDA

View Full Version : Do we want VAR in the Championship?

Leicesterbaggie
03-01-2022, 12:05 PM
Yes or No? If VAR had been used in yesterday's game our goal would probably have been disallowed and we'd have most probably have been awarded a penalty in the last minute. Both decisions were, in my opinion, incorrect. I realise that if our goal hadn't been given the course of the game would have been different but I'm just using these incidents as examples as to whether or not we want VAR. I'm undecided.

phild
03-01-2022, 02:28 PM
VAR is fine if used correctly. I don't think it should be used for offsides. If VAR is to be used for most incidents then why not do away with the ref and linesmen and govern a game with VAR from a box somewhere in the stand.

Prando
03-01-2022, 02:46 PM
Not for me. I prefer to accept that ref’s decisions will occasionally be incorrect. (I consider the same for cricket incidentally…I remember from my cricketing days the maxim…if in doubt, the benefit of the doubt goes to the batsmen)
The key for me is for the referees, whom video replays show made a mistake, admit it ! Too many mistakes and they drop down the packing order !

WBA1955
03-01-2022, 03:22 PM
It's a no for me, though I am in favour of goal line technology, if we had had it in 2002 against Rotherham we would have been promoted before the last game of the season.

Leicesterbaggie
03-01-2022, 03:35 PM
There's no doubt that goal line technology is a success. I know that it failed in the Villa v. Sheffield Utd. game but that was a one off, otherwise it has been an excellent innovation.

baggieal
03-01-2022, 05:06 PM
Not for me. I prefer to accept that ref’s decisions will occasionally be incorrect. (I consider the same for cricket incidentally…I remember from my cricketing days the maxim…if in doubt, the benefit of the doubt goes to the batsmen)
The key for me is for the referees, whom video replays show made a mistake, admit it ! Too many mistakes and they drop down the packing order !

Come on Prando - bet you were calling the ref a w anker yesterday after not giving that penalty - of course without the Mrs hearing!

DaveP67 is back!
03-01-2022, 07:41 PM
No no no!!!

boingy
03-01-2022, 08:35 PM
NO!

Dubbag
04-01-2022, 08:33 AM
No.
Should baggies ever get back to premier...would hope it's gone. It has been another dagger in the heart of the game....
But I do believe that refs should up there game...and also players and managers should act more responsible on the pitch.
The drift to cheating the rules is horrible to watch, if you like fairness.
I watched a player the other day get tripped but tried to stay up on his feet. Think one of his team mates was none to happy with that.
Felt sad for the poor lad...☹️

Johnny on the spot 1
04-01-2022, 09:34 AM
Don't want it at all , still favours the big boys over the smaller teams never done us an favours , & deveating off this subject a little watched sky sports yesterday Ref watch with Dermot Gallagher looks back at the action over weekend to see if the decisions made by the Refs were right or wrong our game with Cardiff never got a mention disgraceful, sky wan kers !

Yarmbaggie
04-01-2022, 09:45 AM
I am probably in the No camp but only just.

I do think the problem isn’t the system as such but for me it is because there is so much focus on the decisions which at the end of the day are usually subjective. Get 5 people in a room to discuss it and not often are all 5 in agreement for the most contentious ones.

The problems are many

1. The players have for sometime increasingly tried to cheat and con referees to get decisions, in what is a fast moving sport

2. Managers only make the situation worse. They only see what they want to see and use any decision as an excuse why they didn’t get what they should have

3. TV pundits have become too much part of the game and spend hours dissecting incidents to fill programmes

4. The press fill page after page about the VAR decisions. Little coverage of Championship or Football league incidents as no VAR to dissect.

5. There is so much confusion about what VAR is suppose to achieve. I thought now it is only supposed to highlight to referees when they have made clear and obvious mistake.

VAR is not there instead of the referee and is not there to make sure all decisions are correct. There is no such thing as all decisions correct as so many are subjective. However, Managers, players. Press, tv etc all abuse VAR for their own gains so it is hardly surprising that the fan has no idea what should or shouldn’t be happening.

Overall good system but as the various interested parties want to use it for their own needs rather than the needs of the game then it will never succeed.

Compare it to the system in other sports such as Rugby (both codes), cricket, where systems are used and help the sport because the relevant parties want it to work and accept that it can never be 100% accurate.

Johnny on the spot 1
04-01-2022, 09:52 AM
I am probably in the No camp but only just.

I do think the problem isn’t the system as such but for me it is because there is so much focus on the decisions which at the end of the day are usually subjective. Get 5 people in a room to discuss it and not often are all 5 in agreement for the most contentious ones.

The problems are many

1. The players have for sometime increasingly tried to cheat and con referees to get decisions, in what is a fast moving sport

2. Managers only make the situation worse. They only see what they want to see and use any decision as an excuse why they didn’t get what they should have

3. TV pundits have become too much part of the game and spend hours dissecting incidents to fill programmes

4. The press fill page after page about the VAR decisions. Little coverage of Championship or Football league incidents as no VAR to dissect.

5. There is so much confusion about what VAR is suppose to achieve. I thought now it is only supposed to highlight to referees when they have made clear and obvious mistake.

VAR is not there instead of the referee and is not there to make sure all decisions are correct. There is no such thing as all decisions correct as so many are subjective. However, Managers, players. Press, tv etc all abuse VAR for their own gains so it is hardly surprising that the fan has no idea what should or shouldn’t be happening.

Overall good system but as the various interested parties want to use it for their own needs rather than the needs of the game then it will never succeed.

Compare it to the system in other sports such as Rugby (both codes), cricket, where systems are used and help the sport because the relevant parties want it to work and accept that it can never be 100% accurate.

Good post Yarm ,

Leicesterbaggie
04-01-2022, 10:00 AM
'Ref. Watch' only ever deals with the Premier League Jots. They look at virtually every single incident, no matter how trivial. V ital incidents in the EFL, for example ours v. Derby, are not deemed important enough!

Leicesterbaggie
04-01-2022, 10:05 AM
Can somebody please enlighten me as to why the word ' v ital' is censored on this board.

DaveP67 is back!
04-01-2022, 10:54 AM
For me regardless of whether VAR ensures more decisions are correct it fundamentally takes away from the game more than it gives, players and fans can no longer spontaneously celebrate a goal, the delay in coming to a decision breaks up play and momentum, ultimately the human element is what makes the game, makes its taking points and excites a crowd.

Prando
04-01-2022, 12:02 PM
Come on Prando - bet you were calling the ref a w anker yesterday after not giving that penalty - of course without the Mrs hearing!
Not at all baggieal buddy…(Just to name drop, it’s all about who you know!) I watched the game with ‘she who must be obeyed’ as guests in the Former Players’ Box. Best behaviour of course !

baggieal
04-01-2022, 12:31 PM
Not at all baggieal buddy…(Just to name drop, it’s all about who you know!) I watched the game with ‘she who must be obeyed’ as guests in the Former Players’ Box. Best behaviour of course !

Of course Prando but what you say under your breathe stays within - ha! We do have to accept refs make mistakes as human error can be made also on the operating table and sadly it does! Fact of life.

I would rather have no VAR as it’s spoiling football and how can supporters wait minutes until whether they know if a goal stands? Crazy and spoils the occasion in my view.