PDA

View Full Version : Prescriptions

WBA1955
06-01-2022, 09:59 AM
From April over 60's will have to pay for their prescription. This means that my wife will have to pay for six months until she becomes 66.
She has a long term illness being asthmatic but while diabetics don't have to pay astmatics do.
It's paying for the privilege of being ill.
Will the Welsh and Scots have to pay this time or will they get theirs free as usual?
Also to see a doctor now you first have to phone the surgery and whoever is there, be it a nurse or a cleaner will ask you questions to see if you are ill enough to see one.
Whatever your opinions on Covid you can't deny that these things have been pushed through while people have become submissive.
Compared to the French the English are very apathetic.
The only time they get really angry is when Corrie is taken off or someone cheats on strictly.
Paying to see a GP and cashless society next guy's, but don't worry about it, Corrie and Emmerdale haven't been taken off this week.🙂

TipperaryBaggie
06-01-2022, 10:15 AM
According to reports, people who receive free prescriptions now will continue to do so until they reach 66 so I assume your wife will be in this category.

WBA1955
06-01-2022, 10:30 AM
According to reports, people who receive free prescriptions now will continue to do so until they reach 66 so I assume your wife will be in this category.

Thanks Tip, I hope so. I was told about it in the pub last night.

baggieal
06-01-2022, 10:32 AM
From April over 60's will have to pay for their prescription. This means that my wife will have to pay for six months until she becomes 66.
She has a long term illness being asthmatic but while diabetics don't have to pay astmatics do.
It's paying for the privilege of being ill.
Will the Welsh and Scots have to pay this time or will they get theirs free as usual?
Also to see a doctor now you first have to phone the surgery and whoever is there, be it a nurse or a cleaner will ask you questions to see if you are ill enough to see one.
Whatever your opinions on Covid you can't deny that these things have been pushed through while people have become submissive.
Compared to the French the English are very apathetic.
The only time they get really angry is when Corrie is taken off or someone cheats on strictly.
Paying to see a GP and cashless society next guy's, but don't worry about it, Corrie and Emmerdale haven't been taken off this week.🙂

No real surprise Des to me as retirement age will soon be 67 so the thought process rightly or wrongly will be - why should anybody get something for nothing if they are still working!
There will be no change though for medical ie cancer etc or those on low incomes as they would not be allowed to get away with that so will still get free prescriptions.

The state pension will get pushed back and back and wouldn’t surprise me if it eventually goes to 75 and there’s a cap on income/assets. Some take the p iss ie millionaire lottery winner still claiming state pension or somebody leaving work on a huge pension and still being able to claim. For sure this will change as those who are loaded will have to use their assets or private pensions.

In years to come I can also see the NHS being free for the needy and those on low incomes. I can’t see why those lucky enough to have huge salaries don’t go private anyway but then again it comes down to principles and tightness. Most decent employers now include free private healthcare and I can see this being more wide spread.

Private medical centres should be allowed to pop up like the USA and Spain. If it was a case of paying around £100 for immediate access for a child’s minor injury or going to A and E and paying the hospital car parking - waiting around and sitting with drunks/druggies - I certainly know which option I would choose. A lot of parents would do the same too if the price was reasonable as they do with dentists.

Boris needs to ensure there’s a cap on energy prices for those on low incomes or for pensioners who can prove they can’t afford the cost increases. There’s enough hardship for those who are on the bread line already.

WBA1955
06-01-2022, 10:40 AM
A friend in the pub last night said that everyone in work should pay into a private health fund so they would be guaranteed good care if they became il.
I pointed out that we already had that, it was called the NHS and we paid NI for it.
The trouble was it was thrown open to everyone and now people come from the other side of the world to use it.
I can understand where the bloke was coming from, but wouldn't a simpler solution have been to make people coming into the UK pay to use it?

baggieal
06-01-2022, 10:51 AM
A friend in the pub last night said that everyone in work should pay into a private health fund so they would be guaranteed good care if they became il.
I pointed out that we already had that, it was called the NHS and we paid NI for it.
The trouble was it was thrown open to everyone and now people come from the other side of the world to use it.
I can understand where the bloke was coming from, but wouldn't a simpler solution have been to make people coming into the UK pay to use it?

Totally 100% agree. If you travel to the USA and are hospitalised then your insurance cover picks up the cost and not the state. Any non U.K. citizens should not receive any free treatment and should have travel insurance. Illegal immigrants too should receive nothing free!! The key word being - illegal!!!

Still think pop up medical centres should be allowed to open. I would pay let’s say £100 ( like a CVS or Walgreen ) for immediate attention than waiting in A and E with some morons especially if it’s a child needing that attention - many would!! Bit like private schools - pressure is being taken off the state schools but those parents don’t get or ask for rebates because they are not using the state system. People are simply choosing the best option even if it comes at a cost.