PDA

View Full Version : Shirt Numbers

Prando
06-01-2022, 03:12 PM
Whilst I accept the extensive numbering which has become the norm…noticed Tom Fellows 41 (!) last Sunday.
Is there a protocol ? Surely shirt number 9 should be withdrawn from Zohore and given to Dike !
Much better in the older days when we knew inside left and right were 8 and 10 and the goalie had a green woollen polo neck !

boingy
06-01-2022, 03:37 PM
It did seem more straightforward didn't it. I don't think you can have a shirt number until it becomes available though Prando. I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

SwedishBaggie
06-01-2022, 04:07 PM
I think Hugill could have # 0 and Zohore # 00, no goals there to be expected… 😎😇

The Minn Junta
06-01-2022, 05:23 PM
Whilst I accept the extensive numbering which has become the norm…noticed Tom Fellows 41 (!) last Sunday.
Is there a protocol ? Surely shirt number 9 should be withdrawn from Zohore and given to Dike !
Much better in the older days when we knew inside left and right were 8 and 10 and the goalie had a green woollen polo neck !

Couldn’t agree more.

The squad numbers used on match days really grips my s**t.

One to eleven all day.

Like lots of other over convoluted things in this country, this falls in the same category as too many white lines painted all over our roads.

Some things just need to be left alone, old school please, when life was simpler, neater and tidier.

kettering_baggie
06-01-2022, 05:59 PM
I remember the numbers 1 to 11 days and the announcement of changes before kick off to the team list printed in the programme. Also, the half time scores on the big scoreboard in the Woodman corner; if you didn’t have a programme you didn’t know which match was against which letter on the scoreboard!

The shirt numbers now are ridiculous, can you imagine Jeff Astle being number other than 9, or Bobby Hope not being No 10?

Shirt numbers in cricket are even more stupid, if a player is wearing a sweater, the name and number are covered up anyway! What brainless tw@t dreams this nonsense up?

baggieal
06-01-2022, 06:07 PM

Maybe a alphabetical system. Hugill and Zohore could have the letters W and C. Johnstone and Livermore could fight over the letter U!!