PDA

View Full Version : At home to Tayside Agricultural College

57vintage
29-01-2022, 11:31 AM
Postponed. A tad stormy I believe.

Further evidence:

- The whole Highland League wiped out.

- My three bins wedged against Steve Next Door’s jeep thing.

“Armageddon”, we were warned. This may be it.

donsdaft
29-01-2022, 12:00 PM
Postponed????

F’uckin wimps

Shetland Don
29-01-2022, 12:13 PM
Breezy in Aberdeen (force 7, gusting to 9), windy in Shetland (force 9, gusting to 11) - my house is shaking and a ball in the air would end up in Orkney!

sonofrgmsdad
29-01-2022, 12:17 PM
Bloody freezing but the wind is extraordinarily bad. Roof next door flying around. Bins and garden furniture doing a dance in the garden. Right decision to put game off. Any high ball would end up near Norway.

donsdaft
29-01-2022, 12:23 PM
Keep it on the ground then.

It's nae bloody University Strollers they're playing.

It could get a tad breezy at Hillhead.

donsdaft
29-01-2022, 01:28 PM
....and as forecast, that's the wind dropped.

sonofrgmsdad
29-01-2022, 03:30 PM
But not enough. Re the play it on the ground, you must have missed the bit above about "bins and garden furniture dancing in the garden".

I've never seen a good game with wind as bad as this.

57vintage
29-01-2022, 03:50 PM
But not enough. Re the play it on the ground, you must have missed the bit above about "bins and garden furniture dancing in the garden".

I've never seen a good game with wind as bad as this.

It wasn’t a great game, but we beat the tims 2-0 at Pittodrie in 1977 in affa conditions. The wind was so strong that the reserve team strip that Teddy had washed and hung out to dry after a midweek game blew into the sea, and Dick Donald borrowed a rowing boat to try to retrieve it. Bumper and Joe scored, one in each half. We were sand-blasted in the Beach End that day. Pints were later taken, if only to get the sand out of our throats. Maybe we didn’t need all seven of them though.

https://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=3255&season=1976-77&squad=Senior

sheepcrooky
29-01-2022, 04:13 PM
I was out walking near Pittodrie this morning. Not a ghoster you could play football in that. You couldn’t even walk in some places for getting blown backwards.
As much as I think fitba should always be played, today would have been a nonsense.

57vintage
03-02-2022, 09:11 AM
Fixture re-arranged to take place on 15 February at 19.45.

InversneckieDob
03-02-2022, 02:23 PM
It wasn’t a great game, but we beat the tims 2-0 at Pittodrie in 1977 in affa conditions. The wind was so strong that the reserve team strip that Teddy had washed and hung out to dry after a midweek game blew into the sea, and Dick Donald borrowed a rowing boat to try to retrieve it. Bumper and Joe scored, one in each half. We were sand-blasted in the Beach End that day. Pints were later taken, if only to get the sand out of our throats. Maybe we didn’t need all seven of them though.

https://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=3255&season=1976-77&squad=Senior

Haven't looked at the link but I recall that game being the Saturday after "that" cup reply against TMSTID which ended with Willie Miller being booed for gifting the goal that saw our exit and subsequent spurious allegations of match fixing.

I mind sitting in the Beach End in the sun while it blew a hooly.

Or a meringue?

57vintage
03-02-2022, 03:51 PM
That’s the fella. Details here:
https://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=3254&season=1976-77&squad=Senior

A quite impressive Dons/Dens crossover going on when you look at the participants.

Jocky Scott (ex Dundee), Jim Shirra (future Dundee), and Davie Robb (fae Broughty Ferry and who made his debut v Dundee in a 5-0 win in the Cup in 67) playing for us.

Davie Johnston (fae Aberdeen, later Pittodrie’s Stadium Manager), Strachan (future Don), with Pirie and Purdie (ex-Dons) in TMSTOTS line-up.

The Tim game:

Beach End [x]
Sense of dread for the second half when the Mhanks had wind advantage [x]
Sand in eyes like blin’s MTBB zoo yarn [x]
Drier than a witch’s pap after 90 minutes in gale-blown sand [x]
Pints [x]

InversneckieDob
03-02-2022, 08:24 PM
The first Dundee game at Dens, the 0-0, was my first look at Strachan.
He tore us a new one that day and I recall only sterling work from Bobby Clark kept us in it.

57vintage
03-02-2022, 08:32 PM
The first Dundee game at Dens, the 0-0, was my first look at Strachan.
He tore us a new one that day and I recall only sterling work from Bobby Clark kept us in it.

I have little memory of it apart from Duncan Davidson being recalled for his first game in forever.

Ver' ver' drunk. Giant cairry-oot on the choo-choo, followed by quarter gill drams in the Star and Garter in Juteville. Badly-skinned knuckles next day, suggesting some sort of altercation with someone, at some point.

Mis-spent youth distilled into a single day.

donsdaft
03-02-2022, 08:46 PM
Mis- spent?

Sounds a’right to me.

InversneckieDob
03-02-2022, 10:16 PM
I would've been 13 at the time, so had not yet fully commenced mis-spending my youth (a trait that was to follow spectacularly and was to continue for a disproportionate period of my adulthood) though I recall there being a "pwopah nawtee" edge to the day.

NaeMairNeeps
04-02-2022, 03:39 AM
That Tims game at Pittodrie .... Oh ma heid!

Ah wis one o' the 'Golden Goal' sweeper ticket loons at the time.

But ma adventure began afore Ah even got tae the game.

Sorry if Ah've tellt ye the story afore but ... if so ... scroll on ;)

Ah wis heidin along upperkirkgate taewards Gallowgate, fan a steamin drunk mess o' a manky green c*nt approached ma an said ...

"See rat?" (pointing to the disbled sign above the vibrant and iconic, but now gone, public pish-hoose) ...

"...rat's far your gonna be huvvin yer next pish!"

... and he took a swing at me .... and he missed ... and I took a retaliatory swing ... well, OK, a defensive shove at him .... and I didna (miss).

And jist as the green clad minker hit the deck, a fkn squad o' aboot 8 tae 10 Celtic fans came roon the corner.

Ah thought "f*ck! .. Ah'm deid!" .. and they havin appeared roon Flourmill Lane, even if Ah ran, Ah didna hae much o' a heid start!

"Hey wee man ... youz gonna shows ra wye tae ra match?"

.... Errr .... diz the Pope wear a cheap suit in a Rangers bar????

Realising my dilemma, these half pished Tims assured me that Ah was "awrightbarawayweeman" ... and the guy Ah'd decked .. (still on the deck) athoot brakkin sweat, was a guy recognised by them as an arsehole .... and if I hadna decked him somebody else would hae ... or they'd hae hae decked him first.

So .... Ah'm walkin along Gallowgate ... reed scarf among a bunch o' walkin, singin greenery .... ontae King Street, and onwards tae Pittodrie, periodically bein offered the contents o' broon bagged bottles along the wye. On arrival handshakes, hugs and fkn smelly breath ... referred tae as 'pal' ... and here aboot now, there's a gap in ma memory .... could it be subconscious suppression? Shock? ... dinna ken ... but ..

Ah must hae sellt ma quota o' golden goal tickets, cos Ah got in tae see the game for free ... as was the deal .... except.

Whenever the game was sellt tae full. or near full capacity, we didna get oor usual main stand seats .... nor the fkn beach end.... nor the fkn ground.

We had tae find a seat in 'the Paddock' ... wi the away support! ... that was our 'reward' for goin aboot the incomin crowd sellin a tenner's worth o' Golden Goal tickets!!!

Ah dinna mind much aboot the match tae be honest, perhaps understandably! ... but Ah dae mind the first goal.

Me an ma pal ( and fellow Golden Goal seller, Eddie), sittin there among pished, groanin, broon bag passin/swillin Tims, hearin comments like "Ah only go tae Ahburdeen fur a gid drink" ... oor scarves tucked under oor jeckets ....

Aiberdeen fkn score!! We instinctively go tae jump up and shout 'YAASSSS' .. but realise, as our arses gain half an inch above the surface o' the bench .... "Nah! ... Dinna!"

And so, we're there ... chuffed we're in front .... surrounded wi the vitriolic vocalisations o' a few thoosan' Pished an angry Tim filthos ... sayin nithin - daein nithin .... feart even tae turn tae each ither an' fkn wink!

.... Ah dae remember, we managed, nae lang efter an' convince a 'door mannie' tae let us through tae the grun area. ... and Ah'm sure we must hae been there fan the second goal went in ... but wi' aa the fkn drama o' that day, as recounted, Ah canna mind onythin aboot it!

(PS. On another occasion, as reward for my stunnin performance as a Golden Goal ticket salesperson, Ah was rewarded wi a free seat among Der Hun .... a less eventful day, but actually ... way fkn worse! ... Ah dinna think Ah need tae describe .. it wis fkn ... ach ... nae words! ... It's jist fine tae ken that the powers that be at AFC hae mair respect for the fans than they used tae ;) ).