PDA

View Full Version : Exit strategy for friday night

MillerBill
16-02-2022, 09:54 AM
The ill thought dangerous process of herding everyone down by the Town Hall offices cannot be repeated.Whoever planned that, wants their head examining because after the last evening match we had, there were falls and people getting crushed.All fans must be allowed to depart via the only safe way and that is by the NewYork Way.NOT the dangerous route which the SouthYorkshire Police instructed us to take.

Brin
16-02-2022, 11:24 AM
Could you sue SYP if you did take a fall and were injured? It is definitely not a safe route at all. Very poorly lit.

Can't see anyone willing to adhere to it but, it would be safer and work better if the Stewards allowed approximately 100 folk in gaps of 30 seconds to proceed along the back of Don Street.

frogmiller
16-02-2022, 11:36 AM
So, are you saying that everyone has to go through the car park behind the council buildings to get out or is that the only way to get into Rotherham town centre?

Surely they let folk go down the left hand side of the building if they need to go the other way.

If they do allow folk to go to the left of the building then it's a stupid system.

Where do the away supporters go? And where do they minglle with the Millers supporters?

The last game I was at was the Cambridge game and I didn't take notice.

Timbertop
16-02-2022, 11:59 AM
Dangerous accident waiting to happen. Who will be culpable ?

clarkey1974
16-02-2022, 12:25 PM
If it includes town hall the exit strategy is worse than I thought…😜

BramleyMiller58
16-02-2022, 12:27 PM
I hope to (insert your deity of preference here) that nothing ever happens but there's been too many close calls to suggest it won't.
It'll probably take a more serious incident, than a trip or fall, for the club to take any action.

In a way it's a blessing we came down last season would have been a lot worse if we'd still been in the Championship.

And yes, FrogMiller, my youngest (amongst many others) turn left at the end of Don Street straight into the path of the away fans he/they have been segregated from.

mellowmiller
16-02-2022, 12:37 PM
So, are you saying that everyone has to go through the car park behind the council buildings to get out or is that the only way to get into Rotherham town centre?

Surely they let folk go down the left hand side of the building if they need to go the other way.

If they do allow folk to go to the left of the building then it's a stupid system.

Where do the away supporters go? And where do they minglle with the Millers supporters?

The last game I was at was the Cambridge game and I didn't take notice.

This exit strategy only applies when there is a large away following (I don't know how they arrive at a number that constitutes "large").
All home supporters are herded into an area that takes them behind the council offices onto Don Street and then onto Main Street.
In my case I then have to turn left and walk past the front of the council offices where I'm usually met by visiting supporters heading towards the town.
Nothing about this exit strategy makes sense. It's dangerous in daylight and very dangerous when it's dark

LittleSquirt
16-02-2022, 12:53 PM
Its dark and unsafe and funnels lots of people into a narrow area. And whats the point of it? Is it to separate home and away fans? If so, which idiot came us with that idea as all it does is send us on a long walk so we turn left and at the end of the road meet those exact same away fans its supposed to separate us from!!

If I could walk out the ground the normal way I would be half way to Millmoor by the time the away fans walk ground the ground, thus avoiding any trouble. Instead I would be caught right in the middle of it.

Of course holding the away fans round the back of the ground for 10 mins is far too sensible.

And they don't seem to be flexible and able to alter it on the day. If Wigan fans are like Owls, when we are 2-0 up they will have all left by then end, and yet we'll still be herded down Don st even though there will be no away fans left to avoid.

great_fire
16-02-2022, 01:00 PM
Set off a bit early.

uttis
16-02-2022, 01:10 PM
South Yorkshire police have something to do with it you don’t need to say any more they don’t give a sh it about fans home or otherwise

Townerslovechild
16-02-2022, 01:31 PM
Every football ground in the country has to deal with fans meeting each other after the game, why the hell have we resorted to this "plan" of action ?
As everyone has said,it's absolutely guaranteed that someone is going to get seriously hurt.

millertop
16-02-2022, 01:41 PM
I sit in west stand and most of ground is empty by time I get out but still I end up with loads of fans in car park when the strategy is placed for high risk games.

High risk is definitely putting home fans in danger which is an insult when it seems away fans come first with our club

The club have had a number of emails about it so let’s see what happens (nothing springs to mind)

fc_miller
16-02-2022, 01:49 PM
Have they opened that footpath along aside of the railway line which goes under main street direct to the train station yet?
they could use this for away fans, also there is an old ramp on the north of Main Street which leads down to the car park in the police station, which means away fans could go under Main Street and join there.

Albeit it is a bit of overkill. There wasnt much segregation leaving Donny and Sheff Weds, and didnt have any issues. Just needs a few stewards police offices on new york way.

flourbasher
16-02-2022, 03:46 PM
We had to walk about half a mile through an industrial estate after the match at Wimbledon.
Hardly a high to risk match and if someone isn’t familiar with the streets and it’s dark then it wasn’t the best plan

I wonder if the Police did it as a one off because of the recent incidents with some of our fans.
It may have been Cressida Dick,s last triumph….or had she departed before then

Grist_To_The_Mill
16-02-2022, 03:50 PM
We had to walk about half a mile through an industrial estate after the match at Wimbledon.
Hardly a high to risk match and if someone isn’t familiar with the streets and it’s dark then it wasn’t the best plan

I wonder if the Police did it as a one off because of the recent incidents with some of our fans.
It may have been Cressida Dick,s last triumph….or had she departed before then

We’ve got local muppets who make these decisions and make Cressida look competent by comparison

CASPER-64-FRANK
16-02-2022, 04:17 PM
Could you sue SYP if you did take a fall and were injured? It is definitely not a safe route at all. Very poorly lit.

Can't see anyone willing to adhere to it but, it would be safer and work better if the Stewards allowed approximately 100 folk in gaps of 30 seconds to proceed along the back of Don Street.

Alternatively go in Corporate / Hospitality and catch a pint at full-time.....>;)

Never an easy solution till Don Street is completed although the powers that be seem to make exiting more difficult than need be.

MillerBill
16-02-2022, 07:43 PM
We usually get a message from the club regarding the exit procedure,it surely cannot force the home supporters to endure that horrendous and dangerous route they have tried before.Let's have some common sense and eliminate any possible disasters and allow access for the home fans via the NewYorkWay.

fc_miller
16-02-2022, 07:58 PM
Alternatively go in Corporate / Hospitality and catch a pint at full-time.....>;)

Never an easy solution till Don Street is completed although the powers that be seem to make exiting more difficult than need be.
Since we don't have a club bar (except corp), could we open a kiosks up in one stand, then can stay behind for a drink like they do at AMEX.

flourbasher
16-02-2022, 08:04 PM
Keeping away fans back for ten minutes is beyond the capabilities and thought process of SY Police

Twinned with the Met for levels of ineptitude

CASPER-64-FRANK
16-02-2022, 08:32 PM
Since we don't have a club bar (except corp), could we open a kiosks up in one stand, then can stay behind for a drink like they do at AMEX.

They could do, unfortunately I don't reckon they would.
Most people just want exit the ground, go home or catch a quick pint at Cutlers, New York Tavern, Angel, County etc.

Many years ago we went to watch the Millers play Wallsall at Fellows Park, straight after the game we were allowed into their club at the side of the ground.
2am when we turned out !!

wrinkly
16-02-2022, 08:49 PM
They could do, unfortunately I don't reckon they would.
Most people just want exit the ground, go home or catch a quick pint at Cutlers, New York Tavern, Angel, County etc.

Many years ago we went to watch the Millers play Wallsall at Fellows Park, straight after the game we were allowed into their club at the side of the ground.
2am when we turned out !!

Walsall's club was very much a favourite stopping off point on the way back from some away games.

CASPER-64-FRANK
17-02-2022, 10:17 AM
Walsall's club was very much a favourite stopping off point on the way back from some away games.

The reason I remember it wrinkly is because Archiemiller was playing football on their pitch after midnight whilst I was having a ' knee trembler ' at the rear of the club.
Really good club at Fellows Park.

Supposed to be 2k Wigan fans coming over, tell them beforehand they may have to wait 10 minutes to exit due to safety issues.

MillerBill
17-02-2022, 11:30 AM
The reason I remember it wrinkly is because Archiemiller was playing football on their pitch after midnight whilst I was having a ' knee trembler ' at the rear of the club.

Supposed to be 2k Wigan fans coming over, tell them beforehand they may have to wait 10 minutes to exit due to safety issues.

It's common sense to do that Casper.

gm_gm
17-02-2022, 12:55 PM

8,500 people funneling through that narrow space is crazy

fc_miller
17-02-2022, 01:08 PM
8,500 people funneling through that narrow space is crazy
What would we be doing if we had 16k or 20k capacity?

flourbasher
17-02-2022, 01:19 PM
building A bridge

gm_gm
17-02-2022, 01:41 PM
building A bridge

The bridge is a great idea, I just worry about timescales, everything seems to drag much longer than it needs to in our town

fc_miller
17-02-2022, 02:13 PM
Do we not have penalty fees in place for missed deadlines?

fc_miller
17-02-2022, 02:16 PM
building A bridge

they are thinking about building a bridge to Sheffield Road, https://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2022/01/news-7940-early-stage-plans-for-live.html

"Levelling Up Funding has also been secured for the area to deliver a riverside walk and improved public realm alongside new housing developments and a new bridge [potentially a Bailey bridge] to link Sheffield Road to the Guest & Chrimes site."

frogmiller
17-02-2022, 02:32 PM
The bridge is a great idea, I just worry about timescales, everything seems to drag much longer than it needs to in our town

The Russians have taken a design by a Rotherham man thus Miller and built one in 3 wees!

Scum-Triumphant
17-02-2022, 03:38 PM
The Bailey Bridge was designed by a Rotherham man from wellgate and helped win WW2.

Got any lying around that we could use?

crashbang
17-02-2022, 03:49 PM
last Bailey bridge I saw near here. was when they were building m18 under a631 at bramley. and the army put one up. around 1965/6, I think.
the road then was a normal carriageway, imagine what it would be like now.

fc_miller
17-02-2022, 03:52 PM
something like this, with a blue plaque and info board at one end
https://www.life-publications.com/rotherham/the-bailey-bridge-eastwood-rotherham/

pip_y
17-02-2022, 05:29 PM
Did one of those charity walks as a t e e n ager for the YMCA and the route was around that as it was being built

Grist_To_The_Mill
17-02-2022, 07:31 PM
The Bailey Bridge was designed by a Rotherham man from wellgate and helped win WW2.

Got any lying around that we could use?

Albany Street near Clifton Park

avondalemiller
17-02-2022, 07:52 PM
they are thinking about building a bridge to Sheffield Road, https://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2022/01/news-7940-early-stage-plans-for-live.html

"Levelling Up Funding has also been secured for the area to deliver a riverside walk and improved public realm alongside new housing developments and a new bridge [potentially a Bailey bridge] to link Sheffield Road to the Guest & Chrimes site."

...when push comes to shove, knowing our Clowncil they'll have spent the money allocated to planting trees in Eastwood, or cycle tracks up Ridgeway to the Crematorium......

IF, we are thinking of this, and have the funding in place, can we ring fence the money so it doesn't get frittered away?
Possibly making drawings and proper plans so we can hit the ground running? Why the waiting? Hope it doesn't get held up in our glorious Red Tape excuses, Newts, Bats or Knotweed..................remember Don St.......

flourbasher
17-02-2022, 08:42 PM
To be fair a pedestrian bridge there could cost many many £m's depending upon the span, width and aesthetics so it would take some serious consideration whether it should be built

It was always in the vision when the stadium was designed and on sketches of the surrounding area so it's probably always been about the cost.
Is it value for money to be used by a small percentage of the football crowd once a fortnight for 9 months a year?
It might depend on what G& C is going to be used for...urban regeneration

avondalemiller
17-02-2022, 09:14 PM
...shouldn't be a problem...............

Levelling Up Funding has also been secured for the area to deliver a riverside walk and improved public realm alongside new housing developments and a new bridge [potentially a Bailey bridge] to link Sheffield Road to the Guest & Chrimes site.

......nothing can go wrong then, eh?

Grist_To_The_Mill
17-02-2022, 09:56 PM
...shouldn't be a problem...............

Levelling Up Funding has also been secured for the area to deliver a riverside walk and improved public realm alongside new housing developments and a new bridge [potentially a Bailey bridge] to link Sheffield Road to the Guest & Chrimes site.

......nothing can go wrong then, eh?

Bridge over the River “Que?”

MillerBill
17-02-2022, 10:07 PM
The council are in charge of this Don Street disastrous delay they should not be allowed to get anywhere near this levelling up funding because it will be misused.It should be ringfenced and Jarvis the Mayor should monitor the projects.

Grist_To_The_Mill
17-02-2022, 10:11 PM
The council are in charge of this Don Street disastrous delay they should not be allowed to get anywhere near this levelling up funding because it will be misused.It should be ringfenced and Jarvis the Mayor should monitor the projects.

To be fair I don’t think the Council have much of an influence on these works.

gm_gm
17-02-2022, 10:37 PM

You saying it’s a Bridge to far Grist?

CAMiller
17-02-2022, 10:58 PM
It's getting like a circus on here with all this Arnhem and Baily XD

flourbasher
18-02-2022, 08:25 AM

Yes it's the Environment Agency who are controlling it who are a govt dept
The Council will have ultimately granted the road closure though

The EA should have consulted with all the local stakeholders including RUFC and RMBC and included delay damages in the contract based on a reasonable estimate of potential losses

They might well have done hence why RUFC aren't making noises

CASPER-64-FRANK
18-02-2022, 09:09 AM

They could bring some extra navvies in or recruit from Eastern Europe.

Network Rail chipped in with several thousand pounds to help alleviate flooding near the Railway Station.

Pumping Station on Don Street should be ready.............( Answers on a postcard please. )

wendun
18-02-2022, 09:29 AM
It's getting like a circus on here with all this Arnhem and Baily XD

It wouldn't be make-believe if you believed in me.

Ericsladkilnhurst
18-02-2022, 01:17 PM
They could bring some extra navvies in or recruit from Eastern Europe.

Network Rail chipped in with several thousand pounds to help alleviate flooding near the Railway Station.

Pumping Station on Don Street should be ready.............( Answers on a postcard please. )

' When Nelson gets his eye back '. >;)