PDA

View Full Version : O/T Fishing

Romared
20-03-2022, 06:22 PM
Does anyone on here get there Rods out ? Im going trout fishing this week up Barnsley West ,

animallittle3
20-03-2022, 06:35 PM
Not since I was a young kid in the 70's Roma .

We use to go at the back of the Millers pub at Low Baurgh .

Spent some hours at that game with varying degrees of success .

Romared
20-03-2022, 07:18 PM
Not since I was a young kid in the 70's Roma .

We use to go at the back of the Millers pub at Low Baurgh .

Spent some hours at that game with varying degrees of success . some good fishing theer Animal a few years back , American Crayfish have decimated the rivers and ponds around here now , some banksmen will pay you for catching and killing them , the Trout season has started earlier than normal in some places , a micro climate the owner says of his water , only allowed to take 2 home subject to weight , looking forward to it

Shadrack the Red
20-03-2022, 07:22 PM
I still go fishing regularly ,in fact I went last friday to Milton Ponds at Hoyland & next weekend with no reds match I will be off down to my caravan near Lincoln for a 3 day session with the rods , but it is pure pleasure for me & I am the original dinosaur , still fish the old way with rods etc , I do not own a pole which seems to be the successful way these days but I love it .

Romared
20-03-2022, 07:38 PM
I still go fishing regularly ,in fact I went last friday to Milton Ponds at Hoyland & next weekend with no reds match I will be off down to my caravan near Lincoln for a 3 day session with the rods , but it is pure pleasure for me & I am the original dinosaur , still fish the old way with rods etc , I do not own a pole which seems to be the successful way these days but I love it . same here Shads , it gone hi tech now , some Polish Lads have sonar tracking , bait bombs and top equipment too , maybe I'm too old school , not for me all that tech , borderline cheating ? Prefer the original way myself,

animallittle3
20-03-2022, 07:42 PM
Anybody remember Sharps fishing shop at the bottom of Racecomon Road , alus got mi maggots from there .

Romared
20-03-2022, 08:03 PM
Anybody remember Sharps fishing shop at the bottom of Racecomon Road , alus got mi maggots from there . yes remember it well , allus gipped in theer horrible smell , the one at Birdwell wa decent tho , some have bait on site now , bit more expensive but less hassle ,

animallittle3
20-03-2022, 09:11 PM
It's really taken me back in time this thread .

We often camped overnight as kids in a small tent bought from Army Stores when we went fishing in the summer months .

Different world back then when we as kids had the freedom to go as we pleased and not like today understandably .

Jules88
20-03-2022, 11:33 PM
I’ve sat hours….. probably days….. Cracked ice in Winter. Once went an a trip to the Trent at high school, the river was that flooded, we were casting into the field still! Still got some stuff in the loft….. in the Rod bag, if I went to take it out it would probably fall to dust…….
Plantation at Bretton was a good day…. If there were two of us, one of us would always walk down to Hectors for a pie.. My father would drop us off before work, and pick us up when he finished…..
great days

pass_and_move
21-03-2022, 12:14 AM
Tried it a few times darn Dearn when I worra young un. It weren't fo me but older I've got I can see the appeal. Rod fishing is summat that dunt require a great deal of thought so tha can let thi mind wander off, get some peace and quiet, tranquility, contemplation, escapism etc. All outdoors in the fresh air.

Doggydo
21-03-2022, 07:07 AM
In my ****s I used to walk down to Worsbrough Res most Saturday and Sunday before the sun got up I used to love my fishing back then, we used to go hunting for wasp grub round Rocky woods, happy days.
Also have lots of happy memories with Worsbrough common club fishing trips.
Me and a mate used to catch the early Monkton works bus to Ryhill Res and even broke the ice on Boxing Day to dip our rods.
I packed it in now though as other things take priority and I gave all my tackle away last year.

Shadrack the Red
21-03-2022, 07:42 AM
same here Shads , it gone hi tech now , some Polish Lads have sonar tracking , bait bombs and top equipment too , maybe I'm too old school , not for me all that tech , borderline cheating ? Prefer the original way myself,

I mainly use a feeder rod these days & some times I will fish the old waggler but these fancy poles are too much for me , not sure if you have seen them Roma but there is a bloke down on our caravan site who fishes with a floating pole, he just feeds it out & pulls it back in ! whats that all about ? it certainly is not fishing in my book .

SBRed48
21-03-2022, 09:00 AM
As kids we used to go carp/roach fishing at Fall Pond near the closed Silkstone Fall pit. Walked from Doduth Green, through fields to Fall Wood and laik "Robin Hood" befooar fishing. My career came to an end when I hadn't secured the top heyf of the rod to the bottom and it flew into the middle of the pond, breaking the line as it did so. Mi Dad called me a silly bugger when a got ooam and wouldn't buy me another rod.
A resorted to catching trout at Stainbro Bottom leaving a worm baited line ovvaneet and very regularly pulling art a decent trout following morning.
Far better than staring at screens all day like kids do nardays. We wo poor but we wo happy.

EthelRed
21-03-2022, 09:57 AM
Im also a trout fisherman Roma. I am a member of Huddersfield Angling Association and we have 2 well stocked waters at Hade Edge. There is a healthy stock of Brown Trout that we leave to breed and stock with rainbows. We also have a stretch of river but ive never fished that.

If you are ever interested in joining let me know and I will nominate you. Sometimes there is a waiting list mind you. You can fish 2 days per week at each water and take 2 fish on each visit if you wish. The water is open all year. I think there is a website you can look at. You can fish with fly, single hook spinner or worm so it suits all styles.

Hope you are successful when you go. Is it Scout Dyke youre visiting?

Doggydo
21-03-2022, 09:58 AM
I’ve never used this new wave of fishing gear but it seems to have taken the fun out of fishing.
Gone are the youthful days when you used to go out with a wrapped up bread and jam sandwich and little two piece rod and go round the feeder streams digging up worms for bait, getting a match stick or twig fastened to the line with a couple of flat rubbers, spending all day out catching a few gudgeon or better.

Romared
21-03-2022, 03:11 PM
Well ive had a smashing day out at Scout Dyke , crisp sunny morning and a bacon sarny , as for my fishing ? looking around plenty were catching good numbers , i caught 3 two to go back in 1 to keep , a bloke near me was telling me that his son was or is the World Angling Champion, Surname Scothorn ?? He smiled when he saw what tackle i had , this is what you need he said , ive got all this gear for nowt , Son gets it free from his sponsors ? Apparently he's part of the famous Barnsley Blacks Team ? Like ive already said its been a smashing day out , Rods are back in shed for now at least,🎣

Romared
21-03-2022, 03:18 PM
It's really taken me back in time this thread .

We often camped overnight as kids in a small tent bought from Army Stores when we went fishing in the summer months .

Different world back then when we as kids had the freedom to go as we pleased and not like today understandably . we used to camp/fish bottom of cawthorne darn lane to Kexboro , loved it,

Romared
21-03-2022, 03:22 PM
I mainly use a feeder rod these days & some times I will fish the old waggler but these fancy poles are too much for me , not sure if you have seen them Roma but there is a bloke down on our caravan site who fishes with a floating pole, he just feeds it out & pulls it back in ! whats that all about ? it certainly is not fishing in my book . I think some use em darn Res Shads , not sure if they can use em in Competitions tho , not for me either i struggle with my basic gear 😃

Romared
21-03-2022, 03:24 PM
Im also a trout fisherman Roma. I am a member of Huddersfield Angling Association and we have 2 well stocked waters at Hade Edge. There is a healthy stock of Brown Trout that we leave to breed and stock with rainbows. We also have a stretch of river but ive never fished that.

If you are ever interested in joining let me know and I will nominate you. Sometimes there is a waiting list mind you. You can fish 2 days per week at each water and take 2 fish on each visit if you wish. The water is open all year. I think there is a website you can look at. You can fish with fly, single hook spinner or worm so it suits all styles.

Hope you are successful when you go. Is it Scout Dyke youre visiting? Thanks for that Eths 👍

Romared
21-03-2022, 03:29 PM
As kids we used to go carp/roach fishing at Fall Pond near the closed Silkstone Fall pit. Walked from Doduth Green, through fields to Fall Wood and laik "Robin Hood" befooar fishing. My career came to an end when I hadn't secured the top heyf of the rod to the bottom and it flew into the middle of the pond, breaking the line as it did so. Mi Dad called me a silly bugger when a got ooam and wouldn't buy me another rod.
A resorted to catching trout at Stainbro Bottom leaving a worm baited line ovvaneet and very regularly pulling art a decent trout following morning.
Far better than staring at screens all day like kids do nardays. We wo poor but we wo happy. Didtha use to be a stream / river darn bottom of gilroyd rarndabart weer bridge guz orr M1 ? A seem to rememba wun rarnd theer wen we laiked int yellawattas n bluebell wood

Romared
21-03-2022, 03:42 PM
I’ve sat hours….. probably days….. Cracked ice in Winter. Once went an a trip to the Trent at high school, the river was that flooded, we were casting into the field still! Still got some stuff in the loft….. in the Rod bag, if I went to take it out it would probably fall to dust…….
Plantation at Bretton was a good day…. If there were two of us, one of us would always walk down to Hectors for a pie.. My father would drop us off before work, and pick us up when he finished…..
great days good old Hectors Pies 😋

SBRed48
21-03-2022, 05:27 PM
Didtha use to be a stream / river darn bottom of gilroyd rarndabart weer bridge guz orr M1 ? A seem to rememba wun rarnd theer wen we laiked int yellawattas n bluebell wood

The stream am onnabart wo--tha turns reyt coming darn Kere Rooad at the motorway bridge, skirting darn then up past Gilroyd, turns booath ways towards Stsinboro Bottom. Abart 50 yards befooar junction wi rooad coming darn from Hood Green thuzza little stream, probably the Yella Wattas stream but remarkably clean . A tied mi line rarnd tree rooits. Mi mam fried wun trout but not much meyt onnit.

Romared
21-03-2022, 05:41 PM
The stream am onnabart wo--tha turns reyt coming darn Kere Rooad at the motorway bridge, skirting darn then up past Gilroyd, turns booath ways towards Stsinboro Bottom. Abart 50 yards befooar junction wi rooad coming darn from Hood Green thuzza little stream, probably the Yella Wattas stream but remarkably clean . A tied mi line rarnd tree rooits. Mi mam fried wun trout but not much meyt onnit. Reyt av gothi nar , I wunce got cot darn theer a bobby on wunathem horrible grey velocetti motor bikes , he repoorted mi tu scooal bobby fo twagging it , 2hat .