PDA

View Full Version : Burnley v Manchester City Match Preview

outwoodclaret
01-04-2022, 07:29 AM
We have said it about many a bigger club- and this sentiment applies no less to Burnley- there is no divine right to be in the Premier League. Three successive games where the Clarets went in at half-time on level terms have ended in three consecutive defeats and we are staring relegation in the face. Next up -and it could hardly get any worse for us- are Manchester City who cannot afford to drop points themselves with Liverpool breathing down their neck in the title race. In fact with Liverpool facing Watford at Anfield in the early kick off on Saturday, Manchester City could well lie second in the table before proceedings get underway at Turf Moor.

Burnley will not be able to field Moses (because sporting integrity in the EPL deems he cannot be brought out of Russia to sign for us ) but City may have Jesus available. We will definitely however have Pope in our side after securing another clean sheet on his recall for England. Captain Ben Mee is out injured and could also miss Burnley’s crucial games against relegation rivals Everton and Norwich. Erik Pieters and Gudmundsson join the skipper on the injury list. With Nathan Collins suspended having picked up a red card at Brentford, Kevin Long is set to make a rare first team start for the Clarets. Maxwel Cornet who started for the Ivory Coast at Wembley should line up in attack with Wout Weghorst.

Manchester City have a Champions League Quarter Final first leg home fixture against Atletico Madrid on Tuesday April 5 to be followed by the key top of the table clash at the Etihad against Liverpool on Sunday April 10. John Stones and Raheem Sterling who both figured for England v Ivory Coast are likely to start at Turf Moor but fellow England international Jack Grealish may well drop down to the bench. Manager Pep Guardiola could select a midfield trio of Rodri, Bernardo Silva and Kevin de Bruyne.

The match referee is Craig Pawson with Jonathan Moss on VAR. Kick off is at 3pm with sunny intervals and light winds but it will be chilly. Can we expect to see any players wearing gloves or will this be a no quarter given game with the gloves off? Manchester City will undoubtedly be favourites but they have stuttered in the Premier League in recent weeks. Can we hope to spring a surprise? A strong performance would undoubtedly give the side confidence ahead of those crucial matches against Everton and Norwich. COYC!

The Bedlington Terrier
01-04-2022, 11:52 AM
Brilliant preview outwood. Can Citeh possibly be distracted with their next two BIG games coming up? B)

barrie_burn
01-04-2022, 01:33 PM
NO:blue:

alfinyalcabo
01-04-2022, 01:55 PM
What did that brummie lass say?

"Oi'll give it foive..👍

warminsterclaret
01-04-2022, 02:32 PM
We need to score first. With the last kick of the match as the foreigners push for a winner.

The Bedlington Terrier
01-04-2022, 02:59 PM
We need to score first. With the last kick of the match as the foreigners push for a winner.

Sounds like a plan to me warminster...

warminsterclaret
01-04-2022, 10:15 PM
WW and Max will be envigorated after our little break BT.

Norder
02-04-2022, 12:25 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/05m41gxm/Burnley-Manchester-City-Premier-League-2021-2022-Head-to-Head-Statistics.png

City are capable of being inept, Burnley desperately need a win (as does Dyche) - and being much more fun.
the top place should be decided at seasons end,

;)

The Bedlington Terrier
02-04-2022, 03:22 AM
For anyone who has forgot what Big Kev Long looks like...

He's playing today!

Norder
02-04-2022, 02:23 PM

0-1 after 5 mins - at 16% possession after 18.

...and the booing has begun.

:blue:

---

am off to have a pleasurable remainder of the afternoon.

;D

kritichris
02-04-2022, 02:28 PM
0-2, going as predicted.

ClaretinBudapest
02-04-2022, 02:52 PM
Just when you thought things could not get worse.I did not expect a result in this game but I expected us to at least put some effort in.That was the most one sided 45 minutes I have ever seen watching Burnley.The tactics are abysmal.Weghorst will no doubt be regretting his move now as he cuts a lone figure running around like a headless chicken chasing shadows.

ClaretinBudapest
02-04-2022, 03:55 PM
Second half slightly better but Citeh could have played without a goalkeeper and still won.Just like a warm up for them.As for us,we are going down and we will struggle in the Championship with this squad.

army88
02-04-2022, 05:13 PM
Second half slightly better but Citeh could have played without a goalkeeper and still won.Just like a warm up for them.As for us,we are going down and we will struggle in the Championship with this squad.

We are absolutely shocking CIB , I cannot think why we’d go five in middle one up top in this game - it was a free nothing game for us and we chose to try and just keep the score Down, we were never in this game and it was an insult to us the fans watching absolute dross ( no effort - focus or heart ).

The back four of city end up playing up at half way and sometimes coming into our final third as we had no penetration and speed as the game started. ( Lennon only man looks a little dangerous- that’s says everything).

Why not try the youngsters from the bench to see if they have a future - Dyche can go for me today I’ve said many times that it’s archaic and it’s definitely that .

The only thing he got right today was removing Mcneil ( that wasn’t quick enough either ), he sulked from minute 1 and offered nothing.

It’s really worrying as it stands as I can’t see how firstly we can survive in this league ( with 10 players out - leaving we don’t have a spare 100 million to replace them with the quality required to play at this level.

Nor do we have the enough money to do it in the championship- we could do like we did last time around 1st division to 4th division in one foul swoop.

ClaretinBudapest
02-04-2022, 07:27 PM
We are absolutely shocking CIB , I cannot think why we’d go five in middle one up top in this game - it was a free nothing game for us and we chose to try and just keep the score Down, we were never in this game and it was an insult to us the fans watching absolute dross ( no effort - focus or heart ).

The back four of city end up playing up at half way and sometimes coming into our final third as we had no penetration and speed as the game started. ( Lennon only man looks a little dangerous- that’s says everything).

Why not try the youngsters from the bench to see if they have a future - Dyche can go for me today I’ve said many times that it’s archaic and it’s definitely that .

The only thing he got right today was removing Mcneil ( that wasn’t quick enough either ), he sulked from minute 1 and offered nothing.

It’s really worrying as it stands as I can’t see how firstly we can survive in this league ( with 10 players out - leaving we don’t have a spare 100 million to replace them with the quality required to play at this level.

Nor do we have the enough money to do it in the championship- we could do like we did last time around 1st division to 4th division in one foul swoop.

It was pitiful army.I cannot imagine paying to watch that dross-that must hurt.It really is shocking.4 or 5 seasons ago we gave City a run for their money in games but now it is like men against boys-almost a training session for City.The tactics are abysmal.Clueless comes to mind putting 5 in midfield.There are no positives at all.Citeh are a world class team but we had lost that game before it started judging by the body language of the team.They no longer expect anything from these games and I personally think SD has lost the dressing room.

The Bedlington Terrier
02-04-2022, 08:02 PM
Sterling tortured Taylor all of the game and Charlie still got no help from sulk-a-lot.

kritichris
02-04-2022, 08:45 PM
McNeil needs to move on to a better club, Turf Moor is no longer his Happy Place.

ClaretinBudapest
02-04-2022, 08:49 PM
McNeil needs to move on to a better club, Turf Moor is no longer his Happy Place.

He really had a monk on today kriti.Then again the rest of the team were not at the races either.Bad signs after a 3 week break-they should have been chomping at the bit.

army88
02-04-2022, 10:17 PM
It was pitiful army.I cannot imagine paying to watch that dross-that must hurt.It really is shocking.4 or 5 seasons ago we gave City a run for their money in games but now it is like men against boys-almost a training session for City.The tactics are abysmal.Clueless comes to mind putting 5 in midfield.There are no positives at all.Citeh are a world class team but we had lost that game before it started judging by the body language of the team.They no longer expect anything from these games and I personally think SD has lost the dressing room.

I accept that city are a real class act and we weren’t expected to win the game, I can think
Of several games this season where the five in midfield could / would and or should have saved us from defeat , then maybe we would be less in the mire than we are at the minute.

I also accept that Wednesday is the game that matters to us , I will watch with interest to see how Dyche changes the whole debarcle of today, 442 will resume on Wednesday anyway regardless if it works or not.

My real issue of today was as always with Dyche the stubborn , we started playing a certain way , it wasn’t working and yet we persisted on and on - we set up today to not concede 5/6 not with any other plan or tactic in place.

I’m not qualified to run - pick the team but when I can see , the man next to me can see in fact all around can see what s happening Or not happening as the case may be , it’s time for a change.