PDA

View Full Version : Cup Exits

the_anticlough
03-04-2022, 06:03 PM
Yesterday's win has lifted hopes of a high play-off place, and the play-offs will be here in 8 games time.

That's sudden death knock-out football of course. I hope the club look at what happened in knock-out format this year, exactly the same in each one... Home 1-2 defeats conceding winning goals right at the death. We more than matched Rochdale and Wrexham in those games, but when it mattered they were clutch and we weren't.

The play-off game we hope to host will probably be like these games - we'll have the edge on a very good team and it could come down to the last 10mins or ET. I wonder if the coaches could look at what happened and see what it takes for us to be the ones grabbing the winner this time.

SwalePie
03-04-2022, 06:22 PM
Just had to Google 'they were clutch'. Never heard that before so cheers for the new phrase :)

MAD_MAGPIE
03-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Yesterday's win has lifted hopes of a high play-off place, and the play-offs will be here in 8 games time.

That's sudden death knock-out football of course. I hope the club look at what happened in knock-out format this year, exactly the same in each one... Home 1-2 defeats conceding winning goals right at the death. We more than matched Rochdale and Wrexham in those games, but when it mattered they were clutch and we weren't.

The play-off game we hope to host will probably be like these games - we'll have the edge on a very good team and it could come down to the last 10mins or ET. I wonder if the coaches could look at what happened and see what it takes for us to be the ones grabbing the winner this time.

We can hope that we can go on and secure our play-off spot and for the third season in a row as a club we have a greater experience and knowledge of what it will ultimately take to get out of this league and that it will be third time lucky. The work we do in both boxes will have to be the best it can be, everything else will take care of itself. IB is now into Year 2 so he will also have greater knowledge and experience of what will be required likewise the players that were here last season and the season before. Throw in a bit of good fortune and luck on the day as well.

Elite_Pie
03-04-2022, 07:04 PM
Just had to Google 'they were clutch'. Never heard that before so cheers for the new phrase :)

Me too. The Urban Dictionary tells me it means:

The ability to perform well on a certain activity at a particular moment, despite external pressures, influences or distractions.
Carly was clutch when she pulled off a perfect grade on her biochem exam, despite having March Madness going on for weeks prior. One of Michael Jordan's reasons for being the GOAT is due to clutch shooting in a do-or-die situation.

Better than what the Urban Dictionary told me about 'tailgating'.

I'm still traumatised by what I read about that.

the_anticlough
03-04-2022, 07:04 PM
We can hope that we can go on and secure our play-off spot and for the third season in a row as a club we have a greater experience and knowledge of what it will ultimately take to get out of this league and that it will be third time lucky. The work we do in both boxes will have to be the best it can be, everything else will take care of itself. IB is now into Year 2 so he will also have greater knowledge and experience of what will be required likewise the players that were here last season and the season before. Throw in a bit of good fortune and luck on the day as well.

Well said.
Those cup exits weren't about them wanting it more IMO, more a mental strength/ nerves thing, maybe fitness even. Whatever it is, we know we'll probably have to come through in close finishes to progress

tied_up_in_notts
03-04-2022, 07:20 PM
Yet another Americanism that has crept into the language

laddo
04-04-2022, 07:09 AM
Yet another Americanism that has crept into the language

Tell me about it, that one came straight out of left field. But languages are there to evolve so I say c'est la vie.

Clutch and its opposite choke are a great pairing. Also appreciate the term sleeper.
Saying that there are some absolute shockers used in American sports the worst has to be winingest!?! and by some distance Yuk!

ireallyhateforest
04-04-2022, 07:35 AM
Does anybody have the play-off dates , and where will the final be held this year because i do not think it is at Wembley.

OchPie
04-04-2022, 08:21 AM
Haven't seen the final location announced. Derbyshire Times reckons:

Wed 25 May – Eliminator A – 5th v 6th

Thur 26 May – Eliminator B – 4th v 7th

Sat 28 May – Semi Final – 2nd v winner of Eliminator A

Sun 29 May – Semi Final – 3rd v winner of Eliminator B

Sat 4 June/Sun 5 June – Promotion Final

ireallyhateforest
04-04-2022, 08:48 AM

Thanks.

Killerkline
04-04-2022, 09:01 AM

The QF and SF are bloody close together. Getting straight to semi is a bigger advantage than I original thought.

nw6pie
04-04-2022, 01:00 PM
The QF and SF are bloody close together. Getting straight to semi is a bigger advantage than I original thought.

I think it always used to be like this, but then Covid got involved and for the past two seasons we've had a week between the fixtures. It's definitely a huge incentive to try to finish third - assuming that Stockport and Wrexham have the first and second spots already sewn up.

Also, not sure why the National League haven't got a confirmed date for the final yet - other than general incompetence. I assume it will be back at Wembley and not somewhere like Ashton Gate, though nothing on the official site yet:

https://www.wembleystadium.com/events

upthemaggies
05-04-2022, 03:00 PM
A bit OT, though very much to do with the thread title.

I've only just realised that the club responsible for our most humiliating cup exit ever - Rhyl, went bust two years go this month. They knocked us out of the FA Cup when we were a 2nd tier side in 1957.

A new club Rhyl 1879 F.C has been formed, starting again in tier 4 of the Welsh leagues.