PDA

View Full Version : Burnley Sack Sean Dyche

Glad2BeAPie
15-04-2022, 09:57 AM
Madness with only a few games left, what's a new manager going to do in such a short time period, they should have made the decision a few games ago as they've been in the same position for a while now.

ncfcog
15-04-2022, 10:11 AM
Not surprised at the sacking, agree it should have happened sooner. It’s past time he and the club part company. Did a great job mind.

irishpete
15-04-2022, 10:19 AM
Madness with only a few games left, what's a new manager going to do in such a short time period, they should have made the decision a few games ago as they've been in the same position for a while now.

They got new owners recently, maybe not clued on. I would have backed him to save them to be honest.
Trouble is now, they bring in a new man, the players they have suit Dyches ethics, if the new boy has different, no time to implement them.

laddo
15-04-2022, 10:24 AM
The problem with Dyche and Burnley this season is they don't know how to win.

Surprised by the timing not by the action.

SwalePie
15-04-2022, 10:35 AM
I see the great Jamie Fullarton has parted ways with Walsall too.

irishpete
15-04-2022, 10:41 AM
Never knew Steve Stone was there along with Ian Woan.

countygump
15-04-2022, 11:11 AM
I see the great Jamie Fullarton has parted ways with Walsall too.

Technical Director, ay? Prob heading back to Sherwood Forest as we speak.

Jamie Fullarton has left his role as Walsall's technical director after just a year at the club.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter!

The Saddlers confirmed in a statement on Thursday evening the 46-year-old had departed just a year and a day after his appointment.

Fullarton was responsible for overseeing the strategic direction of the club's football department but his success has been limited.

Matt Taylor, the club's first head coaching appointment of his tenure, was sacked in February with the Saddlers teetering above the League Two relegation zone, while a large scale overhaul of the playing squad led by Fullarton last summer has provided at best mixed results.

Fullarton had recently been helping new boss Michael Flynn plan for this summer's transfer window.

In a statement, the Scot claimed he felt the time was right to pursue a new challenge.

Fullarton said: "I would like to thank the chairman, the board, all the staff and players at Walsall for their support during my time at the club.

"Together we have developed a framework that should give the club a platform to build this summer and beyond. It has been a privilege to be part of the project and I wish the club every success in the future."

Wedgie_pie
15-04-2022, 11:12 AM
Utter madness, or maybe they have Steve Cooper lined up... 😀

jackal2
15-04-2022, 12:06 PM
Burnley: "Thanks Sean Dyche for taking us (twice) to a level we have no right to expect, and keeping us there for so long, but no thanks."

Reminds me of when Charlton Athletic sacked Alan Curbishley many years ago because some fans thought he had "taken them as far as he could". They've not been close to the Premier League since.

TSANHO
15-04-2022, 12:46 PM
Bad move by Burnley, expect to see them back in League One before long…where they belong.

kill_the_drum
16-04-2022, 05:52 AM
Terrible decision by Burnley.
Burnley only got into the PL, and stayed there, because of him. They have punched above their weight for so long, they have forgotten why they managed it!
As someone else said, Charlton springs to mind, as does Bournemouth sacking Howe.

Stan Marshall
16-04-2022, 06:23 AM
Burnley only got into the PL, and stayed there, because of him. They have punched above their weight for so long, they have forgotten why they managed it!
As someone else said, Charlton springs to mind, as does Bournemouth sacking Howe.

Totally agree

MAD_MAGPIE
16-04-2022, 12:36 PM

I completely agree. Burnley could quite easily end up suffering from the Howe and Curbishley effect in that the clubs lose their leader and driver that has kept them beyond the highest level they can expect to be at which the whole pack of cards comes crashing down.

They are only four points from safety and could have avoided the drop with Dyche. We will see how well this post ages but I think that is a big nail in the coffin for Burnley's relegation. As others have said it would not be a surprise to see them in League One before they know it.

When a manager like Sean Dyche has been at a club for so long the entire philosophy and style is completely ingrained in the club. They have their identity. If they don't go for someone like Dyche then they'll have to start all over again.

The irony of it all is that if they do get relegated someone like Sean Dyche who has two promotions from the championship with Burnley was best placed to bring them back up. Likewise he has previously took them to seventh place and got them in the Europa league.

It has all the hallmarks of a panic sacking.

laddo
16-04-2022, 01:48 PM
I think the timing is awful, he deserves to go out on his sword for the simply tremendous work he's done.

Saying that I would have very limited confidence they would have stayed up even with Dyche in charge. It's hard to when you have won just 4 times in 30!!! That's shocking.

jackal2
16-04-2022, 02:11 PM
I think the timing is awful, he deserves to go out on his sword for the simply tremendous work he's done.

Saying that I would have very limited confidence they would have stayed up even with Dyche in charge. It's hard to when you have won just 4 times in 30!!! That's shocking.

I think Burnley's chances of staying up were/are very slim with or without Dyche, but of course it's a miracle that they've been able to compete at that level at all. They've only lost one more game than Wolves in 8th place, so it's not like they've been whipping boys, but they've drawn to many games this time around. They're lacking a couple of those top quality players who win tight matches. If Dyche had stayed then I think they would have been right in the mix for immediate promotion back, as he achieved with them once before, but now it's just as likely they'll lose their identity and drift into the wilderness.

Hoppie
16-04-2022, 02:53 PM
Burnley: "Thanks Sean Dyche for taking us (twice) to a level we have no right to expect, and keeping us there for so long, but no thanks."

Reminds me of when Charlton Athletic sacked Alan Curbishley many years ago because some fans thought he had "taken them as far as he could". They've not been close to the Premier League since.

Absolutely. I fancy they will not return to the premier league for a very long time. This sacking is symptomatic of modern day culture - always wanting better and not appreciating what’s already quite good…

jackal2
16-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Absolutely. I fancy they will not return to the premier league for a very long time. This sacking is symptomatic of modern day culture - always wanting better and not appreciating what’s already quite good…

American sports commentators have a good phrase for it: "What have you done for me lately?"

queenslandpie
16-04-2022, 08:36 PM
Burnley is probably the biggest dump I've ever seen Notts in (other than Mansfield or West Bridgeford of course). Horrible place to get to and what an absolute horror show of a place. Plus Ian Wright scored. Obviously they are hoping for new manager bounce but with the chamopinship almost nailed on they can't expect to attract a big name. Can see them going the same way as Sunderland.

sidders
17-04-2022, 02:36 PM
Burnley is probably the biggest dump I've ever seen Notts in (other than Mansfield or West Bridgeford of course). Horrible place to get to and what an absolute horror show of a place. Plus Ian Wright scored. Obviously they are hoping for new manager bounce but with the chamopinship almost nailed on they can't expect to attract a big name. Can see them going the same way as Sunderland.

And not one of you mentions the part played by Burnley's new American ownership. who have turned them from one of the few debt-free clubs into a debt-laden outfit. It was their shout that banished Sean Dyche. All American owners should be banned from UK football - they are mere asset strippers.
Not worried for SD - he's a very capable manager and will find work when he wants it. Here's a tip: Lampard to leave Everton at end of season, Dyche to replace him before August.

irishpete
17-04-2022, 02:47 PM
And not one of you mentions the part played by Burnley's new American ownership. who have turned them from one of the few debt-free clubs into a debt-laden outfit. It was their shout that banished Sean Dyche. All American owners should be banned from UK football - they are mere asset strippers.
Not worried for SD - he's a very capable manager and will find work when he wants it. Here's a tip: Lampard to leave Everton at end of season, Dyche to replace him before August.

How are they debt laden?. Only been here since October time I think. Sold Woods for big money, don't think they have splashed the cash so to speak. Maybe i have missed something??

i961pie
17-04-2022, 03:09 PM

Similar to Bolton after Big Sam left.

irishpete
17-04-2022, 03:54 PM
Similar to Bolton after Big Sam left.

That chunt!! Hate him & them as much as them across the Trent. You could look back to that day he walked out & say things have never been that good since, bar Munto that was fake

DelroyFacey22
19-04-2022, 10:36 AM
Been spotted out and about in Nottingham over the weekend including a trip to Rock City, didn't know he came through at Forest but I guess that explains Steve Stone and Ian Woan working with him.

sidders
20-04-2022, 02:23 PM
How are they debt laden?. Only been here since October time I think. Sold Woods for big money, don't think they have splashed the cash so to speak. Maybe i have missed something??

Catch up, Pete.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/content/alk-capital-completes-club-takoeover

sidders
20-04-2022, 02:29 PM
Catch up, Pete.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/content/alk-capital-completes-club-takoeover

Read that?
Now forget all the BS and read David Conn's take.

Burnley's US takeover has left club £90m worse off and ...https://www.theguardian.com › football › feb › burnley...

sidders
20-04-2022, 02:36 PM
This reminds me of what someone once attempted at one of my favourite clubs:

David Conn on Twitter: "Burnley's 'leveraged' US takeover ...https://twitter.com › david_conn › status
2 Feb 2021 — Burnley's 'leveraged' US takeover used approx £60m loan - now charged + interest on the club itself - and the club's own cash, to pay the local ...

irishpete
20-04-2022, 03:05 PM
Catch up, Pete.

Time flies when your having fun!!

irishpete
20-04-2022, 03:09 PM
This reminds me of what someone once attempted at one of my favourite clubs:

David Conn on Twitter: "Burnley's 'leveraged' US takeover ...https://twitter.com › david_conn › status
2 Feb 2021 — Burnley's 'leveraged' US takeover used approx £60m loan - now charged + interest on the club itself - and the club's own cash, to pay the local ...
Hadn't completed yet as of Jan 22 due to owing monies to previous board members although agreements made, if not paid club will go back into the hands of previous owners

laddo
22-04-2022, 06:25 AM
New manager/No manager bounce?
Impressive point at West Ham, and 3 points against Southampton at home.

Looks like it may go down to the wire between them and Everton.

The_Don_ORiordan
30-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Look like

The_Don_ORiordan
30-04-2022, 07:11 PM
Looks like they made the right decision. I don’t think anyone on here thought it would mean them staying up…..

laddo
30-04-2022, 07:43 PM
Looks like collectively we know **** all about Burnley FC XD As I said earlier I thought the action was correct , the timing wasn't.

If this saves them, masterstroke

jackal2
01-05-2022, 12:53 AM
Looks like collectively we know **** all about Burnley FC XD As I said earlier I thought the action was correct , the timing wasn't.

If this saves them, masterstroke

The Premier League is played over 38 games and the side getting Burnley out of trouble is - without question - the one Sean Dyche built. Moreover, it's the one that has pulled off similar survival acts before.

I'm sure the owners of Burnley will spin recent results to be some sort of vindication for their decision, but in my book it's still treachery of the highest order, and the true long-term test of their 'wisdom' will be next season, whichever division that may be in.

irishpete
01-05-2022, 05:06 AM
The Premier League is played over 38 games and the side getting Burnley out of trouble is - without question - the one Sean Dyche built. Moreover, it's the one that has pulled off similar survival acts before.

I'm sure the owners of Burnley will spin recent results to be some sort of vindication for their decision, but in my book it's still treachery of the highest order, and the true long-term test of their 'wisdom' will be next season, whichever division that may be in.

Dyche would have kept them up. They were unlucky at Norwich prior to his sacking. They then had/have a easyish final few games, plus he had a team that fights for one another on the pitch & a had a manager that had passion on the side.
Manure #new manager syndrome worked wonders lol

laddo
01-05-2022, 06:17 AM
They don't have to apply any spin at all, they will just quote the change in results.

The side that appears has got them out of trouble is indeed a Sean Dyche side true, the same Sean Dyche side that won just 4 out of 30 league games this season. That is unacceptable for any club and any level. Hard to call that a premature sacking after 30 games lol.

We can be kind and spin it and assume Sean Dyche would have kept them up now he's gone but that's a stretch IMO. Possible of course but far from likely.

The fact is the only thing that has changed was the manager and results have been a sharp contrast ever since. That tells me quite clearly that the squad needed a new face and voice in the dressing room giving them instructions.

Yes it could be a short term improvement only and next season could be a disaster but the owners made the decision to improve their chances of staying up this season as their premier league status looked precarious at best, doomed at worst. The owners made the decision and it's worked, it's very hard to argue otherwise.

jackal2
22-05-2022, 05:04 PM
So Burnley go down after all, but without the manager best equipped to bring them back.

upthemaggies
22-05-2022, 05:18 PM
So Burnley go down after all, but without the manager best equipped to bring them back.

I haven't watched much PL since lockdown but I did watch Man City today and that was a thrilling afternoon.

I don't know the in's and out's of Burnley's ownership model but I've heard a few people say they deserve to go down for how they have been operating. Weirdly, we once had a Burnley fan on here giving it the Billy big time on steroids when we were having major problems with the Munto situation and they were seemingly consolidating in the PL, basically saying we'd never be as great as Burnley and that they were now on a par with Man utd and Liverpool. One of our lot said something about his childhood and an uncle and he got super defensive about it. One of the weirdest exchanges I've seen on here. Hopefully he's suffering right now, that type of supporter who punches down that far are the worst, especially for no reason. What history do we have with Burnley? We've barely played them in half a century or more.

laddo
22-05-2022, 05:18 PM
If Dyche wasn't sacked when he was and they still got relegated, do you still think the Burnley board would have kept him on to see if they could bounce straight back?

It's a hypothetical question obviously but I don't think so.

Hoppie
22-05-2022, 05:27 PM
If Dyche wasn't sacked when he was and they still got relegated, do you still think the Burnley board would have kept him on to see if they could bounce straight back?

I commented previously I thought it was very short sighted. The only way I can see it made sense is if Dyche and the board had already decided he would leave in the summer at which point worth rolling the dyche (sorry couldn’t resist).

irishpete
22-05-2022, 05:49 PM

They did the last time they got relegated from the PL, admittedly under different owner.
New manager bounce didn't do them any good. Dyche would have won them games as well

laddo
22-05-2022, 06:00 PM
Well the new manager had a far superior PPG than Dyche so I doubt the former manager would have done any better or more likely a fair bit worse based on this season. Timing was a tad strange mind.

I believe the new ownership is chalk and cheese to the past. I wouldn't expect them to bounce back whoever was in charge next season. They've got some bills to pay.

irishpete
22-05-2022, 06:04 PM
Well the new manager had a far superior PPG than Dyche so I doubt the former manager would have done any better or more likely a fair bit worse based on this season. Timing was a tad strange mind.

I believe the new ownership is chalk and cheese to the past. I wouldn't expect them to bounce back whoever was in charge next season. They've got some bills to pay.

Believe they are in big bother now with money that has to be paid back

jackal2
22-05-2022, 06:04 PM

Neither do I.

As irishpete says, if the previous owners had been in charge they probably would have recalled the previous time Dyche took them straight back up and therefore stuck with him, but the current owners are a different kettle of fish and it now looks like a less happy, less stable club.

As I've said previously, I see parallels between what happened at Charlton Athletic and what's happening now at Burnley. Two clubs who used to be deliriously happy just to be in the Premier League, but who (be it the fans or the owners or both) over the years began to think they had a right to be there, because two managers over-achieved massively - namely Alan Curbishley for Charlton and Sean Dyche for Burnley. Instead of being grateful for everything those two individuals gave them, and humbly accepting that even they cannot perform miracles consistently forever, they both threw away their golden ticket managers and fell into sub-standard ownership.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Burnley now gradually declined in a similar way to Charlton, or even Oldham.