PDA

View Full Version : Doug O’Kane is Wrong about Paul Conway

Young_Nudger
19-04-2022, 12:17 PM
This week’s Chronicle page 21.

Doug writes this …..…. ‘The route of MOST of this seasons problems stem from the few months after the play off semi final loss at Swansea’.
‘Paul Conway, the co-chairman and owner took over as acting chief executive’.

That statement is WRONG.
It should read …. The route of ALL of this seasons problems.

The only place to look for the problems this season stems from the platform laid down by Paul Conway.

1) Appointment of Markus Schopp - knowing that his back room staff were very unlikely to be allowed to join him in the UK.
Consequently - players complaining about training sessions.

2) Schopp pleading for more experience to assist the squad of young players - but that request was denied by Mr Conway.
Consequently - no leaders on the pitch when the going gets tough.

3) Paul Conway insisted that Markus Schopp moves away from the successful tactics drilled into the players during the previous season - so players can be put in the Shop Window.
Consequently - players looking absolutely lost in the first half of the season.

4) Paul Conway moves away from the recruitment strategy and brings in players unsuitable for the Barnsley style of play.
I haven’t heard anyone ask this.
WHY DID HE DO THIS !?!?!
Is it an indication that the relationship with James Cryne is so bad ???

5) There is time to salvage the season during the January window.
But the gaps in the team - that can clearly be seen by football commentators as well as supporters - are not filled by the directors.

So under those circumstances - how could any manager be successful ???
Any manager would have failed with the foundations laid down by Paul Conway.
The rot set in from the start and neither manager has been able to salvage it.

Doug O’Kane has been too lenient with his assessment of Paul Conway.
The evidence suggests Paul Conway isn’t as bright as what he might think he is.
If I was Chien Lee and the other directors I would be instructing Paul Conway to keep away from decision making at the club.
The arrogance of Paul Conway has cost the directors £££MILLIONS.

animallittle3
19-04-2022, 04:57 PM
Doug O'Kane has gone way above what Keith Lodge or Lodge Junior event went with regard to criticism of the club .

O'Kane has to play any criticism canny , he's a journalist covering the town's team in its weekly publication whilst maintaining a healthy relationship with the club .

If he goes OTT the club could ban him with all inside privileges removed which isn't exactly going to do much for his career as chief reporter for The Barnsley Chronicle .

An HGV driver banned off the road for two years would be a good example of his position .

Acido
19-04-2022, 05:16 PM
I used to like Keith Lodge, when he was our match reporter on Radio Hallam Fm in the 80s.
But it dun't really matter what O'K says in the Chron, as Conway seriously dun't seem to care one little bit. He does what he does because he can, and he thinks he knows best. 😕

Young_Nudger
19-04-2022, 08:58 PM
Doug O'Kane has gone way above what Keith Lodge or Lodge Junior event went with regard to criticism of the club .

O'Kane has to play any criticism canny , he's a journalist covering the town's team in its weekly publication whilst maintaining a healthy relationship with the club .

If he goes OTT the club could ban him with all inside privileges removed which isn't exactly going to do much for his career as chief reporter for The Barnsley Chronicle .

An HGV driver banned off the road for two years would be a good example of his position .

Good point.

Young_Nudger
19-04-2022, 09:02 PM
Just watched Liverpool.v Man United.
Every Liverpool player knew their job and worked their socks off.
Why would anyone want to spoil such a format and work ethic ???

Ponty End
20-04-2022, 01:44 AM
Just watched Liverpool.v Man United.
Every Liverpool player knew their job and worked their socks off.
Why would anyone want to spoil such a format and work ethic ???

Conway was probably over confident after the success of last season and the excellent decisions to sign Ismael, Helik, Morris, Dike, Brittain and Morris and to turn down offers for Woodrow and refuse to cash in on Mowatt for a million or two.

He probably thought that some of the summer signings would be successful if not all & that we were unlikely to fall from 5th to relegation with 4 permanent signings & 2 summer loan signings to replace the departures.

He probably thought Benson would do a decent job as he had a little prem experience (Burnley fans were telling us what a good signing he was & that he was their motm against man city) probably thought Iseka would provide some needed pace (i still think there maybe a decent player in Leya Iseka). Looks like Oulare was a disastrous punt to try and replicate Dike; no idea what the thinking behind Cole signing was. Vita & Gomez have done reasonably well. It all went wrong for Schopp from day one & its difficult to see how the formula for signing Stendal, Struber & Ismael gave us Schopp.

As we (ridiculously) lost large amounts for getting in play offs & took a 3.6m EFL covid loan we needed to raise funds by selling players last summer but no bids were received, some fans find this unacceptable but reality is its how BFC survive, Patrick Cryne sold off the best of the 2016 promotion team plus Stones & Holgate & still had to put around 7m of his own money in the club.

There is a myth that PMG have sold lots off lots of our players for millions when Brown is the only player who has been sold in last few years for a decent profit (2m).

Its strange so many fans are in denial that we are a club with one of lowest budgets in championship & therefore have struggled to survive in championship for a few decades with the occasional 'punching above our weight season' similar to Luton & Coventry. However, reality is not high on the agenda of many fans this season.

Conway has made some good & bad decisions for BFC had some great pieces of luck & some lousy luck but there is no hiding place after relegation & he needs to speak to fans at end of season about the future of BFC as its clear the "Conway Out" groups supposed local buyers aren't going to materialise.

animallittle3
20-04-2022, 06:29 AM
Conway was probably over confident after the success of last season and the excellent decisions to sign Ismael, Helik, Morris, Dike, Brittain and Morris and to turn down offers for Woodrow and refuse to cash in on Mowatt for a million or two.

He probably thought that some of the summer signings would be successful if not all & that we were unlikely to fall from 5th to relegation with 4 permanent signings & 2 summer loan signings to replace the departures.

He probably thought Benson would do a decent job as he had a little prem experience (Burnley fans were telling us what a good signing he was & that he was their motm against man city) probably thought Iseka would provide some needed pace (i still think there maybe a decent player in Leya Iseka). Looks like Oulare was a disastrous punt to try and replicate Dike; no idea what the thinking behind Cole signing was. Vita & Gomez have done reasonably well. It all went wrong for Schopp from day one & its difficult to see how the formula for signing Stendal, Struber & Ismael gave us Schopp.

As we (ridiculously) lost large amounts for getting in play offs & took a 3.6m EFL covid loan we needed to raise funds by selling players last summer but no bids were received, some fans find this unacceptable but reality is its how BFC survive, Patrick Cryne sold off the best of the 2016 promotion team plus Stones & Holgate & still had to put around 7m of his own money in the club.

There is a myth that PMG have sold lots off lots of our players for millions when Brown is the only player who has been sold in last few years for a decent profit (2m).

Its strange so many fans are in denial that we are a club with one of lowest budgets in championship & therefore have struggled to survive in championship for a few decades with the occasional 'punching above our weight season' similar to Luton & Coventry. However, reality is not high on the agenda of many fans this season.

Conway has made some good & bad decisions for BFC had some great pieces of luck & some lousy luck but there is no hiding place after relegation & he needs to speak to fans at end of season about the future of BFC as its clear the "Conway Out" groups supposed local buyers aren't going to materialise.

PMG sold Moore , Pinnock , Potts , Brown and Lindsay for around £12m collectively .

There was £4m in cash in the club's accounts when they took over the club in December 2017 and the club was debt free .

Plus the £3.6m loan from the EFL .

I make that just short of £20m of funds that's been available to PMG without them loaning or using their own personal funds .

They've burned the lot since 2017 , plus the club has current losses of 4m , is set to lose £6m of sky tv revenue and a 40% reduction in ST sales .

The club have liabilities of £8m due within the next 12 months and the EFL loan of £3.6m is also due to be paid back within the next 24 months .

I'd welcome your take on the above .

pass_and_move
20-04-2022, 08:48 AM
To add to Animals post- The club also recieved around 3.5m in compensation for the departure of both Ismael and Struber to WBA and NY Redbull respectively.

Not realistic my arse.

pass_and_move
20-04-2022, 09:09 AM
Conways arrogance in preaching to us all on various occasions how certain clubs who overspend should be punished and should have their house in order. Well we are now looking very realistically at a punishment ourselves in the wake of relegation because our expenditure will by far exceed our income at league 1 level.

This is what arrogance does for you.

The PMG think they have found a magic formula that exists within football where they can sell off any assets to pay for their loan to buy the respective club, replace the outgoing assets with cheap untried kids and maintain divisional status at the same time.

They got lucky with OGC Nice because that club was stripped down to the knuckle and heading for relegation under PMG until a buyer came in and made them a huge offer. This isn't going to happen at Barnsley or any of their other clubs barring some kind of freak circumstances. However, as I've said previously, it doesn't matter to the PMG because they aren't losing owt as they've not actually invested owt.

Young_Nudger
20-04-2022, 09:38 AM
Animal - you are obviously more aware of sales than what I am.

Ponty - what you call ‘over confidence’ I would call arrogance.
Paul Conway clearly thought it was easy to do the job of a football club CEO - he’s made himself look a fool.

Passy - no one has supported these owners more than me - because as you say - they have always protested against those that overspend.
So I originally thought these owners will not drive the club into the ground like many other clubs such as Bolton.
They are here to make a profit.
Which is a good objective.

But of course they have to do this in a proper way.
That profit cannot be made solely (or mostly) off the backs of Barnsley supporters.
I was under the impression that they would build on the foundations laid down by the Cryne family - have a mix of older players - and importantly ‘not go crazy’ but spend a bit of their own personal wealth.
None of that seems to be the case.

Their strategy consists of bringing in as many cheap young players as possible - and hope that a few of them will turn out to be decent profit makers.
The club has been converted into nothing more than a Shop Window.

Romared
20-04-2022, 09:46 AM
Parndstretcha

pass_and_move
20-04-2022, 10:34 AM
Aye Nudger it is a Shop window, a shop window that will be ram raided this summer by the clubs who know just how desperate we are for money. Closing down sale- everything must go.

EthelRed
20-04-2022, 10:46 AM
Aye Nudger it is a Shop window, a shop window that will be ram raided this summer by the clubs who know just how desperate we are for money. Closing down sale- everything must go.

Who have we got that is worth anything meaningful?

pass_and_move
20-04-2022, 11:08 AM
Who have we got that is worth anything meaningful?

Morris, Helik, Anderson and Styles might fetch a combined 2m if we're lucky Eths.

EthelRed
20-04-2022, 11:21 AM
Morris, Helik, Anderson and Styles might fetch a combined 2m if we're lucky Eths.

Similar to my thoughts Pass. Ultimately not enough to cover the shortfall in revenue, purchase replacement players and keep the club afloat.

As Animal and others have stated many times, our club is in deep financial jeopardy and I fear for its future. These clowns need to go and we have to hope a credible new owner is forthcoming, and they have the funds to cover the financial void that is inevitable.

Come what may, my money wont be helping to dig them out of this mess.

pass_and_move
20-04-2022, 02:06 PM
Similar to my thoughts Pass. Ultimately not enough to cover the shortfall in revenue, purchase replacement players and keep the club afloat.

As Animal and others have stated many times, our club is in deep financial jeopardy and I fear for its future. These clowns need to go and we have to hope a credible new owner is forthcoming, and they have the funds to cover the financial void that is inevitable.

Come what may, my money wont be helping to dig them out of this mess.

Quite right Eths and a reckon another 4000 will seh the same when season ticket sales are confirmed

EthelRed
20-04-2022, 02:23 PM
Quite right Eths and a reckon another 4000 will seh the same when season ticket sales are confirmed

Pass, I dont know a single season ticket holder who is currently intending to renew next season. In fact they dont bother going to this seasons matches, such is their disillusionment with the state of our club.

What a sad state of affairs.

Romared
20-04-2022, 03:14 PM
Pass, I dont know a single season ticket holder who is currently intending to renew next season. In fact they dont bother going to this seasons matches, such is their disillusionment with the state of our club.

What a sad state of affairs. av got 3 flexi tickets left Eths if you want them ! A carnt geeum away !, a tried purrin em int blue bin ! Binmen put a contaminated waste sticker ont bin and refused to empty it 😝

pass_and_move
20-04-2022, 03:22 PM

The empty seats in the stands where they would normally occupied by season ticket holders tells its own story doesn't it. Some of the games at Oakwell this season, I reckon less than half of the season ticket holders have turned up. The West Brom game on that cold Friday night in December, the crowd was as low as I've seen in years.

I'd suggest the club would be lucky if 6000 of the current season ticket holders renew.

EthelRed
20-04-2022, 03:39 PM
av got 3 flexi tickets left Eths if you want them ! A carnt geeum away !, a tried purrin em int blue bin ! Binmen put a contaminated waste sticker ont bin and refused to empty it ��

Thanks for the offer Roma. Ive received several similar offers from the ST holders I mentioned earlier.

Im so disenfranchised with this lot of owners, Im not interested in going for free.

Take note of that PMG!! and there are many more like me out there.

Young_Nudger
20-04-2022, 03:51 PM
The empty seats in the stands where they would normally occupied by season ticket holders tells its own story doesn't it. Some of the games at Oakwell this season, I reckon less than half of the season ticket holders have turned up. The West Brom game on that cold Friday night in December, the crowd was as low as I've seen in years.

I'd suggest the club would be lucky if 6000 of the current season ticket holders renew.

Yep - and when there’s only half the season tickets sold compared to last season - I’m tipping someone from the club is going to say something on the lines of this ……
……….. we are unable to do much at the club because the supporters clearly don’t want to support the team.

That is to say ……. the blame for the mess the club is in may be shifted in the direction of supporters.

animallittle3
20-04-2022, 04:08 PM
To add to Animals post- The club also recieved around 3.5m in compensation for the departure of both Ismael and Struber to WBA and NY Redbull respectively.

Not realistic my arse.

Just to also add Pass that Patrick Cryne was the guarantor of loans to the club during his tenure as owner .

Over that 14 year tenure those loans equated to £8m to keep the club ticking over from week to week .

That works out at £700k per year .

By comparison PMG including as you rightly pointed out the fees received for Struber and Val have burned nearly £24m of the club's money in less than five years .

If they burned the club's money at the current rate over the 14 year period that Patrick Cryne owned the club it would come in at just shy of £75m .

I repeat Patrick Cryne loaned the club £8m over 14 years .

Now you tell me Pass mate how can these people say they are running this club in a sustainable way ?

They aren't , they have simply exhausted the club's funds plus an EFL loan of £3.5m in order to try to profit themselves at some point in the future at the point of sale .

They've robbed us , nothing more than corporate thieves .

SBRed48
20-04-2022, 04:15 PM
Who has spent the £4 million credit in the club accounts in 2017?--now zero

Who has taken £750k from the club accounts to pay the first instalment of the purchase of the club ?

Who is being taken to Court to get the remaining purchase money ?

Who has taken out a loan of about £3.5 million from the EFL payable back in the next two years ?

Who has recruited coaches such as Schopp and Asbaghi and signed Oulare, Iseka and Cole this pre season contributing to relegation costing the club accounts around £6.5 million?

Whose policies will probably lead to about a £1million + loss in Season Ticket sales ?

I blame The Arseoyle and his Merry Band of Apologists.

pass_and_move
20-04-2022, 04:37 PM
Just to also add Pass that Patrick Cryne was the guarantor of loans to the club during his tenure as owner .

Over that 14 year tenure those loans equated to £8m to keep the club ticking over from week to week .

That works out at £700k per year .

By comparison PMG including as you rightly pointed out the fees received for Struber and Val have burned nearly £24m of the club's money in less than five years .

If they burned the club's money at the current rate over the 14 year period that Patrick Cryne owned the club it would come in at just shy of £75m .

I repeat Patrick Cryne loaned the club £8m over 14 years .

Now you tell me Pass mate how can these people say they are running this club in a sustainable way ?

They aren't , they have simply exhausted the club's funds plus an EFL loan of £3.5m in order to try to profit themselves at some point in the future at the point of sale .

They've robbed us , nothing more than corporate thieves .

The covid pandemic hasn't helped PMG's cause and neither has brexit. That's the only thing that I'm prepared to say in their defence in regard to running this club under this model in a sustainable way. It doesn't excuse the money they've burned because every club has had to put up with the same restraints too.

The recruitment hasn't been good enough. Barring the money made on Ismael, Struber and Keiffer Moore, they haven't made significant profit on any of their signings and that has been their achilles heel in regard of keeping us financially sustainable.

The lack of investment in replacing the staff that left last summer has also come back to bite us on the arse.

Their failure to acknowledge the need for 2 or 3 experienced players per season in order to bring the younger players on is another major factor in why we find ourselves in big trouble both on and off the pitch.

The failure to acknowledge (especially in their first 3 years) the impact that a sprinkling of decent loan players can have has set us back too. The evidence of Dikes impact last season as a loanee was the catalyst to our play off push. This season they've simply covered the lack of quality and depth in our squad by bringing in 4 loan players who will play no part in the clubs future. Crazy. All this is born out of sheer arrogance and a lack of respect for the game of football. Nothing more, nothing less.

As I’ve pointed out in other posts, they have been incredibly fortunate in certain instances in their time at BFC. This good fortune they have failed to take advantage of but now the chickens have come home to roost. The luck has run out and so too has the money. Their lack of football knowledge has finally caught up with them. What a total shower of shyte and it's gonna get worse.

animallittle3
20-04-2022, 05:00 PM
The covid pandemic hasn't helped PMG's cause and neither has brexit. That's the only thing that I'm prepared to say in their defence in regard to running this club under this model in a sustainable way. It doesn't excuse the money they've burned because every club has had to put up with the same restraints too.

The recruitment hasn't been good enough. Barring the money made on Ismael, Struber and Keiffer Moore, they haven't made significant profit on any of their signings and that has been their achilles heel in regard of keeping us financially sustainable.

The lack of investment in replacing the staff that left last summer has also come back to bite us on the arse.

Their failure to acknowledge the need for 2 or 3 experienced players per season in order to bring the younger players on is another major factor in why we find ourselves in big trouble both on and off the pitch.

The failure to acknowledge (especially in their first 3 years) the impact that a sprinkling of decent loan players can have has set us back too. The evidence of Dikes impact last season as a loanee was the catalyst to our play off push. This season they've simply covered the lack of quality and depth in our squad by bringing in 4 loan players who will play no part in the clubs future. Crazy. All this is born out of sheer arrogance and a lack of respect for the game of football. Nothing more, nothing less.

As I’ve pointed out in other posts, they have been incredibly fortunate in certain instances in their time at BFC. This good fortune they have failed to take advantage of but now the chickens have come home to roost. The luck has run out and so too has the money. Their lack of football knowledge has finally caught up with them. What a total shower of shyte and it's gonna get worse.

Even looking at Covid and brexit doesn't really defend them .

Covid cost the club £600K according to the club themselves on the last accounting year .

There was absolutely no need to take a £3.5m loan out with the EFL in my opinion to cover it , they could have taken a significantly lower one than that to aid cash flow .

But no doubt the way they saw it they thought we'll take the £3.5m because it's to be paid back out of the club's funds not ourselves and we can then use that money to further seek a way to profit personally at some point down the road .

The UK voted to leave the EU in 2016 , 18 months before PMG bought the club .

It wouldn't have been the worst idea to give the UK a miss until the consequences of leaving the EU on a club like ourselves who did a fair bit of transfer business within the EU was at least clear and decided upon .

Now whilst that might sound like hindsight in reality it isn't because in my opinion you do the due diligence especially when the success of your entire model depends on how successful you are at Trading Players .

Shadrack the Red
20-04-2022, 05:11 PM

Ethel Red may I introduce you to Shadrack , I have renewed my season ticket along with my two Grandsons so that is 3 of us next year plus we are all disillusioned with the owners but still attend every match & intend to keep doing so , we hope they will be riding off into the sunset asap but we still want to support the team .

EthelRed
20-04-2022, 05:26 PM
Ethel Red may I introduce you to Shadrack , I have renewed my season ticket along with my two Grandsons so that is 3 of us next year plus we are all disillusioned with the owners but still attend every match & intend to keep doing so , we hope they will be riding off into the sunset asap but we still want to support the team .

Your choice Shadrack my old! Its your brass, spend it how you like.

Keep putting money in their pockets and you give them a reason to stay. Deprive them in the hope they may leave. This version of Barnsley FC isnt a shadow on the one I have followed for 56 years. I cant see me changing that mindset under PMG ownership

animallittle3
20-04-2022, 05:30 PM

As I've said before Shad , no judgement from me and I respect your decision which is for you to make .

I can respect that because you respect mine and others to not fund this ownership any more .

Romared
20-04-2022, 05:34 PM
I don't think anyone is knocking fans like you Shads , and fair play to you , your well aware of what's happening , and that's something to be admired in many ways that you want to renew , wanting the best for the team , Town and Club, if only the owners thought the same way , I've no problem with you mate regarding all this ,

animallittle3
20-04-2022, 05:45 PM
The real joke of course is that PMG try to create the illusion that they are a safe pair of financial hands .

Nothing could be further from the truth , they are more than enthusiastic in spending everyone else's money .

Nothing more they enjoy more than going to the casino to gamble with someone else's money , any money just so long as it's none of their own .

Conway continues to beg for funds from gullible investors with his ponzi schemes .

If these gullible investors did some research and due diligence they might want to have a butchers at our accounts .

Tell you how I feel right now and this may come across all wrong on a football message board but if I said these words face to face over a pint in the pub it would come across how I want it to .

I'm glad we fell short last season knowing what I know now .

The thought of this bunch of corporate thieves getting their greedy hands on £170m for next to nowt investment doesn't sit right with me now .

There's no doubt in my mind that a huge chunk of that £170m would have gone towards paying themselves huge dividends .

Well done Swansea .

🍺🍺🍺

EthelRed
20-04-2022, 05:50 PM
Just for clarity, I too am not criticising people who attend. Sorry to anyone who has interpreted my comments in that way. They’ve got a stronger constitution than me. Each to their own opinion and course of action.

pass_and_move
20-04-2022, 05:50 PM
I'm of the belief that everyone has a choice and shouldn't have to justify their choice to anybody.

EastStandRed
20-04-2022, 06:42 PM

Acido
20-04-2022, 08:19 PM
That thought has crossed my mind as well, that maybe it was a good thing after all that we missed out on promotion, for various reasons.
Things have worked out so appallingly this season, so I take consolation that this despicable lot din't get their hands on the huge cash windfall. And they also din't get to take all the credit for promotion either.
Its interesting to read now what some Danish journalists are saying about Conway & co at Eisberg Fc. And yet we're still getting sycophants and apologists worshipping and defending everything they do. 😡

Ponty End
21-04-2022, 12:26 AM
PMG sold Moore , Pinnock , Potts , Brown and Lindsay for around £12m collectively .

There was £4m in cash in the club's accounts when they took over the club in December 2017 and the club was debt free .

Plus the £3.6m loan from the EFL .

I make that just short of £20m of funds that's been available to PMG without them loaning or using their own personal funds .

They've burned the lot since 2017 , plus the club has current losses of 4m , is set to lose £6m of sky tv revenue and a 40% reduction in ST sales .

The club have liabilities of £8m due within the next 12 months and the EFL loan of £3.6m is also due to be paid back within the next 24 months .

I'd welcome your take on the above .

My take is that 12m on player sales plus 8m additional income is small beer in 4 years & 4 months of PMG ownership when you consider the high number of players PMG have bought with quite a number costing 0.5 to 1.2m, plus a large wage bill (currently around 14m per year) plus the significant impact of Covid & the cost of maintaining Oakwell & the academy.

Patrick Cryne did sell the club with a surplus after a fire sale of our 2016 promotion team but that didn't alter the fundamental problem that BFC is a loss making business & struggles to keep afloat without significant player sales most of the time, thats why Patrick had to save us when player sales were low.

So you can rightly argue that after good signings for the play off season we have seen poor incompetent player & managerial signings from Conway etc, but incompetence isn't fleecing the club or corruption or evil, its incompetence. If the "Conway Out" group local buyers don't materialise & remain in hiding I'm hoping we revert back to the successful 2020-21 transfer policy & this time next season we are celebrating promotion, PMG now have to speculate to accumulate & not see us languish in league one. But clearly some fans couldn't care less, lost interest & are not coming back to oakwell & some want us to fail or even fold. Its their right to make these decision but why do they never stop going on about it.

Ponty End
21-04-2022, 01:26 AM

What's your point? that there are 7 squads with lower budgets than Barnsley? it doesn't really give the full picture as wages paid for players out of contract or on low transfer fees are a big factor, e.g. what wages are QPR paying to Charlie Austin? what is QPRs wage bill? massively bigger than ours, WBA got Mowatt for zero for example.

However, credit to Millwall they are showing some sustained stability, i suspect coventry and luton will like us pay a price for their success & lose players & manager & return to a relegation fight in next year or so.

animallittle3
21-04-2022, 06:35 AM
My take is that 12m on player sales plus 8m additional income is small beer in 4 years & 4 months of PMG ownership when you consider the high number of players PMG have bought with quite a number costing 0.5 to 1.2m, plus a large wage bill (currently around 14m per year) plus the significant impact of Covid & the cost of maintaining Oakwell & the academy.

Patrick Cryne did sell the club with a surplus after a fire sale of our 2016 promotion team but that didn't alter the fundamental problem that BFC is a loss making business & struggles to keep afloat without significant player sales most of the time, thats why Patrick had to save us when player sales were low.

So you can rightly argue that after good signings for the play off season we have seen poor incompetent player & managerial signings from Conway etc, but incompetence isn't fleecing the club or corruption or evil, its incompetence. If the "Conway Out" group local buyers don't materialise & remain in hiding I'm hoping we revert back to the successful 2020-21 transfer policy & this time next season we are celebrating promotion, PMG now have to speculate to accumulate & not see us languish in league one. But clearly some fans couldn't care less, lost interest & are not coming back to oakwell & some want us to fail or even fold. Its their right to make these decision but why do they never stop going on about it.

You still fail to see the issue that's staring you right in the face and why posters such as myself can't support PMG .

They are using your money and the club's revenue outside of supporters money to attempt to profit personally themselves .

They are placing the whole risk on the club which puts your ability to enjoy seeing a successful or competitive team at great jeopardy .

The numbers I've quoted prove the point that they have maxed out the club's credit card and now have the club in extremely difficult financial water in order to grow the club and profit themselves at a point of sale some time in the future .

How do you feel about handing over money to someone else so they can visit the local casino but carry no risk of losing anything themselves ?

Young_Nudger
21-04-2022, 06:43 AM
Just a comment about season ticket sales.
These owners are (supposedly) astute business people.
They will have evaluated that within sport - especially English football - they will be able to sell their product no matter if what they sell is either GOOD or BAD.

Not many types of business would be able to get away with doing that.

pass_and_move
21-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Just a comment about season ticket sales.
These owners are (supposedly) astute business people.
They will have evaluated that within sport - especially English football - they will be able to sell their product no matter if what they sell is either GOOD or BAD.

Not many types of business would be able to get away with doing that.

I'll suggest that they didn't encounter a place like Barnsley before. Many tarn folk have cottoned on to their disregard for this club and it's supporters. I'll give it another year (April 2023) before many more follow suit and the crowds are down to 4/5k when we're fighting relegation from league 1 with a team made up of hapless t€enagers.

Don't get me wrong Nudger, some will forever be blind to it and swallow the gumth that they are fed or simply turn a blind eye. Afterall, there is a market for naivety due to the fact that Boris was voted in the last election!

However, tha can be the best salesman in the world but if the product is perpetually vv@nk and folk realise you're full of sh1t and here to screw you over for their own personal gain then you're eventually gonna fall.

Let's just hope the club itself doesn't fall first because this is the reality that we're faced with. Our financial position is horrendous and this might well happen.

Ponty End
22-04-2022, 10:26 PM
You still fail to see the issue that's staring you right in the face and why posters such as myself can't support PMG .

They are using your money and the club's revenue outside of supporters money to attempt to profit personally themselves .

They are placing the whole risk on the club which puts your ability to enjoy seeing a successful or competitive team at great jeopardy .

The numbers I've quoted prove the point that they have maxed out the club's credit card and now have the club in extremely difficult financial water in order to grow the club and profit themselves at a point of sale some time in the future .

How do you feel about handing over money to someone else so they can visit the local casino but carry no risk of losing anything themselves ?

Your plan isn't great is it?

You want Barnsley fans to kill off their own club financially. You have written previously "if the club dies it dies" and also that you don't want to be in Oakwell with the "nodding dogs".

I have known worse times at Oakwell since I first went in 1967 & if previous generations of supporters had thrown the towel in because they were unhappy & angry with the owners, BFC would have disappeared long ago (in fact most of the 92 league clubs would have gone).

When some of the "not a penny more" supporters eventually return to Oakwell during more successful seasons they will be able watch the Reds thanks to fans who refused to allow the club to die.

The fans who will carry on supporting the Reds have the club in their blood and this is often through long family ties, this connection goes way beyond problems with whoever happens to be the owners, also they can differentiate between supporting the history of the club, the players on the pitch & the owners.

animallittle3
22-04-2022, 10:35 PM
Your plan isn't great is it?

You want Barnsley fans to kill off their own club financially. You have written previously "if the club dies it dies" and also that you don't want to be in Oakwell with the "nodding dogs".

I have known worse times at Oakwell since I first went in 1967 & if previous generations of supporters had thrown the towel in because they were unhappy with the owners BFC would have disappeared long ago (in fact most of the 92 league clubs would have gone).

When some of the "not a penny more" supporters eventually return to Oakwell during more successful seasons they will be able watch the Reds thanks to fans who refused to allow the club to die.

The fans who will carry supporting the Reds have the club in their blood often through long family ties and this connection goes way beyond who are the current owners, also they can differentiate between supporting the history of the club, the players on the pitch & the owners.

You seem to have a selective memory Ponty .

During the 70's we attracted around two and a half thousand and five thousand was considered a decent gate .

Again in the 80's and 90's gates dropped from an average of fif**** thousand to around five thousand and only really picked up because of the promotion to the PL .

The faithful five thousand .

Then again facts aren't really your bag are they Ponty ? .

Any time you want to answer my points I've made to you I'd be glad to see you respond to them instead of the tangents you fly off at and lacking facts that is your present position .

In your own time Ponty .........?

Ponty End
23-04-2022, 03:14 PM
You seem to have a selective memory Ponty .

During the 70's we attracted around two and a half thousand and five thousand was considered a decent gate .

Again in the 80's and 90's gates dropped from an average of fif**** thousand to around five thousand and only really picked up because of the promotion to the PL .

The faithful five thousand .

Then again facts aren't really your bag are they Ponty ? .

Any time you want to answer my points I've made to you I'd be glad to see you respond to them instead of the tangents you fly off at and lacking facts that is your present position .

In your own time Ponty .........?

Everyone & their mother knows we will have financial issues after relegation & losing 8m income, you are just stating the obvious do you think you have uncovered a scoop? however despite this we are still in a better position than many clubs.

The fact you keep ignoring is that you are willing to see Barnsley FC die & don't want to be a sat among loyal Barnsley supporters who continue to go to Oakwell because in your words they are "nodding dogs" and all because you are a upset with the current owners, its weak & pathetic.

Your ignorance of the crowds in the 1970s is startling, people in the Town were struggling with pit strikes, low wages & high unemployment & the crowds were actually not that low for a team near the bottom of division 4, but crucially these fans kept the club going & never attempted to finish off BFC like you and your mates. These fans were much better fans than you or me. We survived applying for re-election in early 1970s & went on eventually to the Premier League & some great times.

You are typical of supporters these days influenced by so called fans on social media, those with big gobs who think they have influence because they get support from other idiots when slagging the club of in bad times, those who say they are finished with BFC & have better things to do on a Saturday & yet hang around Barnsley FC media sites & webcams like a bad smell.

You say you have had enough, OK just go, your only purpose on here is to attempt to make these bad times appear to be worse than they are with a drip feed of poison. Sorry to inform you but BFC will be fine & get through this period.

Oh & yes we all want new owners from Barnsley with money to invest, just like we want Santa Clause to start bringing us presents again.

Romared
23-04-2022, 05:13 PM
Thas forgot summat Ponte End , many of us were amongst the1970s years and before in some cases , yes we stuck by the owners and Team , no wavering from the few that did attend , this lot are a different kettle of fish entirely, feel free to go and support them that's your choice , Myself and most still support the Club but not the owners , something you seem to have difficulty with ? I don't expect an answer at any time from you , I wished you well when you joined tykesmad and got no response back , what you are currently doing has been done times over by me and countless other loyal fans, enough is enough now , you carry on lining their pockets , Thal learn eventually

EastStandRed
23-04-2022, 05:16 PM
These owners have severely dented my interest in Barnsley FC. Ponty, if we were a normal honest club, with a normal owner who did their best for the club back in Division 4 I’d be happily following the club still.

But being part of a Billionaire venture capitalists football factory doesn’t do it for me. The football club has lost its soul along the way with this consortium. Remotely managed with decisions being made for the wrong reasons. Run by non football people pretending and blagging that they are some knowledgeable expert who invented the game in 2017.

It leaves a bad taste, I don’t find the enjoyment I did, it’s stale, Conway has created a terrible atmosphere inside the club plus the others that he owns. They haven’t even paid for the club yet but still lord it around like we should all bow down to them.

It’s changed beyond recognition, doesn’t have the same community feel about it. The amount of people I know who are lifelong fans in their 50s and 60s who say they’re calling it a day is worrying but it tells you something when people who have been going for 40 to 50 years all feel the same way about the club at the same time.

They’re killing the club along with several others they own

Romared
23-04-2022, 05:32 PM
Tha carnt gerra stockin off a bare leg

animallittle3
23-04-2022, 05:33 PM
These owners have severely dented my interest in Barnsley FC. Ponty, if we were a normal honest club, with a normal owner who did their best for the club back in Division 4 I’d be happily following the club still.

But being part of a Billionaire venture capitalists football factory doesn’t do it for me. The football club has lost its soul along the way with this consortium. Remotely managed with decisions being made for the wrong reasons. Run by non football people pretending and blagging that they are some knowledgeable expert who invented the game in 2017.

It leaves a bad taste, I don’t find the enjoyment I did, it’s stale, Conway has created a terrible atmosphere inside the club plus the others that he owns. They haven’t even paid for the club yet but still lord it around like we should all bow down to them.

It’s changed beyond recognition, doesn’t have the same community feel about it. The amount of people I know who are lifelong fans in their 50s and 60s who say they’re calling it a day is worrying but it tells you something when people who have been going for 40 to 50 years all feel the same way about the club at the same time.

They’re killing the club along with several others they own

I couldn't have put it any better , top post and nailed it .