PDA

View Full Version : What’s happening with Kelly?

Brin
21-04-2022, 09:02 AM
He’s up to full fitness.
He warms up with the team on the pitch.
He doesn’t make the bench?
Sorry for saying this so profound but, wtf is going on with this player?!!!!!

He surely cannot be any worse than Mr 50% Ladapo or young Kayode. Give him a run ffs.

Rant over….

uttis
21-04-2022, 09:33 AM
Agreed Brin sometimes Warne doesn’t help himself did same thing with Trevor Clarke played half a dozen games then didn’t see him again

frogmiller
21-04-2022, 09:56 AM
Last seen on his mothers doorstep

gru
21-04-2022, 10:18 AM
Not a mention of Kelly in today's tizer. Agree with Brin got to be better than Ladapo or Kayode. I wouldn't start with Tutu either if your a wing back you've got get back to cover he doesn't.

wrinkly
21-04-2022, 10:23 AM
Perhaps the way he's performing in training suggests that he would be worse than Ladapo or Kayode? Not that I know that. He has always been described as one for the future.

jakethemiller
21-04-2022, 10:36 AM
I've been saying for ages he should be at least on the bench, he should have had a chance in some of the Papa John matches to start with. He's got to be worth and option to bring on, Ladapo doesn't want to know, and JJ is not quite there so why not give Kelly a go.
I hope we don't fall short because of our failure to get more firepower in the January window.
Kelly seemed to be a good signing, if the gossip is correct then we should have had Stockton as well, 500,000 would have been worth it. We should have sent Ladapo out on loan.

Brin
21-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Perhaps the way he's performing in training suggests that he would be worse than Ladapo or Kayode? Not that I know that. He has always been described as one for the future.

Wrinks with respect, IF he’s poor in training then why parade him like a show pony pre kick off?
It’s almost tantamount to humiliating the man.

frogmiller
21-04-2022, 10:45 AM
Wrinks with respect, IF he’s poor in training then why parade him like a show pony pre kick off?

He's hardly humiliating him Brin

fc_miller
21-04-2022, 11:31 AM
It's more likely to keep winding the fans up, plus Warne sick of reading about Derby on this board.

Ericsladkilnhurst
21-04-2022, 11:33 AM
Last seen on his mothers doorstep

Skinning hares, making a hair piece, so nobody recognises him, when he's shopping
in retail world, for a scrubbing brush for his mother.

Could be starring in a new Invisible Man film, made famous by Claude Rains, Also
television series HG Wells Invisible Man, Tim Turner has Peter Brady [Invisible man]
Robert Beatty voiced the first pilot series.

Brin
21-04-2022, 11:37 AM
He's hardly humiliating him Brin

Ok maybe humiliating is the wrong word but at the moment Warney's sending out the wrong message showing him off pre match warm up, even Bola doesn’t get that opportunity! So again what is he playing at?

clarkey1974
21-04-2022, 11:44 AM
He’s up to full fitness.
He warms up with the team on the pitch.
He doesn’t make the bench?
Sorry for saying this so profound but, wtf is going on with this player?!!!!!

He surely cannot be any worse than Mr 50% Ladapo or young Kayode. Give him a run ffs.

Rant over….

Firstly brin I would hotly dispute the 50%,in truth that’s abit high.

But back to the point.Kelly whatever shape he is in surely he should be able to come on for last 20 minutes or so…PW needs to box clever on Saturday and name Kelly on bench,that might just take the edge of the fans.even if he is warming up it just provides some lift throughout the game and if he is brought on could give the whole place a lift and change any down beat mood.in truth we don’t know what he can do so be Dam sure Oxford certainly won’t…

wrinkly
21-04-2022, 12:10 PM
If he plays on Saturday and gets the winner I'll be absolutely ecstatic. If Freddie gets the winner I'll be equally as ecstatic - as I know you will. We all want the same thing. Why Freddie gets picked on front of him I don't know. I have absolutely no idea how good he is. I also have no idea why he warms up with the players when he's not in the squad Possibly he has asked to, because he wants to be part of things - which would show a brilliant attitude.
I don't think it's a big deal tbh

PokerMillersSwinton
21-04-2022, 12:15 PM
Ladapo's inept performance and the lack of running towards a simple ball for him to hold up on Tuesday night tells you all you need to know . Anybody up top with Smith would be better. Ladapo would not be even on the bench for me soon as hes gone the better .Warnes too soft to do anything about it .As for Kelly we really do not know how good he is would he be better than JJ, Warne thinks not is he 100% fit ? He would still be on the bench for me(if fit) gives him a bit of confidence . I have also heard this "one for the future" bile from Warne as well Clarke been a prime example their was a winger and a centre half also got this tag all 3 gone without playing much Hope Kelly isn't one of those .

Ericsladkilnhurst
21-04-2022, 12:16 PM
Keeping the player in moth balls is stupid, we don't know if he can cut it in league one,
nemind hopefully in the championship next season.

Stovicmiller
21-04-2022, 12:19 PM
I've been saying for ages he should be at least on the bench, he should have had a chance in some of the Papa John matches to start with. He's got to be worth and option to bring on, Ladapo doesn't want to know, and JJ is not quite there so why not give Kelly a go.
I hope we don't fall short because of our failure to get more firepower in the January window.
Kelly seemed to be a good signing, if the gossip is correct then we should have had Stockton as well, 500,000 would have been worth it. We should have sent Ladapo out on loan. agree with the above but you’ll get into trouble spending the chairman’s money.

Stovicmiller
21-04-2022, 12:27 PM
When you’re at the top you should consolidate your position not stand still like we did in jan . Once again a totally underwhelming transfer window, is that down to the manager and or chairman?. Hope it doesn’t cost us .

Jimmy Badfellow
21-04-2022, 12:28 PM
It is all a bit strange,especially the warming up before games.Perhaps Warne wants to see how he copes running up Hungarian mountains at 6 in the morning or how his batting is at Wicko before he makes a decision!

gru
21-04-2022, 12:42 PM
Seen him in pre-game warm up. Over 6 ft I'd start him Saturday home games are the best games to give a player his debut. Can't see what there is to lose how can you play Ladapo after tues & Kayode he's not ready don't know if he ever will be. Need 2 up front against Oxford.

The Hillsborough Miller
21-04-2022, 01:05 PM
Ladapo's inept performance and the lack of running towards a simple ball for him to hold up on Tuesday night tells you all you need to know . Anybody up top with Smith would be better. Ladapo would not be even on the bench for me soon as hes gone the better .Warnes too soft to do anything about it .As for Kelly we really do not know how good he is would he be better than JJ, Warne thinks not is he 100% fit ? He would still be on the bench for me(if fit) gives him a bit of confidence . I have also heard this "one for the future" bile from Warne as well Clarke been a prime example their was a winger and a centre half also got this tag all 3 gone without playing much Hope Kelly isn't one of those .

Toaly agrre but warne is either tonsoft or thinks giving ladapo a game will change his mind.
Drop him off the bench and give kelly the last 3 games cant hurt

Masbroughstreet
21-04-2022, 01:47 PM
Ok maybe humiliating is the wrong word but at the moment Warney's sending out the wrong message showing him off pre match warm up, even Bola doesn’t get that opportunity! So again what is he playing at?

He was actually warming up with Bola and Odoffin before the Ipswich game.

Ronners
21-04-2022, 02:01 PM
JJ would be in my starting 11 for the last 3 matches, he is miles better than Freddy to have in the side, and yes he is still learning, but always causes problems for defences with his relentless closing down, so keep the 3-5-2 formation as that is what has got us into this position.
I would agree, as has been said, to bring kelly onto the bench along with Freddy to give us options up front, even if we can only use kelly for the last 15 mins surely at some stage we have to roll the dice.
2 wins from 3 games needed as it stands against 3 teams who will be just as nervous as us, although I didnt think we looked that nervous against Ipswich which is why I couldn't understand the Burton performance, and Kelly now needs to be given a chance so come on Paul, be brave and at least get him on the bench, if we win saturday and both MK and Wednesday get beat then it's as good as job done. UTM

Townerslovechild
21-04-2022, 02:14 PM
I've no idea what's going on with Kelly now he was injured, but isn't now.
Even if not fully fit surely he could manage 20 minutes, I reckon I could do 10....just about !
The thing is,nobody knows what he's like, including the opposition, surely this is a positive right now.
Get him in the squad Warney .

flourbasher
21-04-2022, 02:43 PM
JJ would be in my starting 11 for the last 3 matches, he is miles better than Freddy to have in the side, and yes he is still learning, but always causes problems for defences with his relentless closing down, so keep the 3-5-2 formation as that is what has got us into this position.
I would agree, as has been said, to bring kelly onto the bench along with Freddy to give us options up front, even if we can only use kelly for the last 15 mins surely at some stage we have to roll the dice.
2 wins from 3 games needed as it stands against 3 teams who will be just as nervous as us, although I didnt think we looked that nervous against Ipswich which is why I couldn't understand the Burton performance, and Kelly now needs to be given a chance so come on Paul, be brave and at least get him on the bench, if we win saturday and both MK and Wednesday get beat then it's as good as job done. UTM

Yes I'd agree with JJ starting and he's done very well in some matches
PW can always bring Freddie on after 65 mins once JJ has tired the defenders out so see if he can poach one or two goals

gru
21-04-2022, 04:04 PM
Yes I'd agree with JJ starting and he's done very well in some matches
PW can always bring Freddie on after 65 mins once JJ has tired the defenders out so see if he can poach one or two goals

No Kayode had one decent game nothing else. 3 games to get us promoted without the play-offs which we've had enough of. Kelly to start for me Saturday he could give us abit of pace which we haven't got up front. I can't see what we've got to lose after Ladapo tues & Kayode having not shown enough. Going to need Chioe out wide with 2 of our wide men looking out for the season.

Godsend.F.C.
21-04-2022, 04:25 PM
He was actually warming up with Bola and Odoffin before the Ipswich game.

Kelly and Bola were both warming up together at Plymouth Argyle away as well. If we had sealed promotion a couple of games ago Kelly would have had some game time. Complete guess from me I'm expecting Kelly to be on the bench Saturday.

flourbasher
21-04-2022, 06:22 PM
No Kayode had one decent game nothing else.

I assume you mean bagging the three points for us at Wimbledon.
He ran Sunderland ragged too when he came on

gru
21-04-2022, 06:38 PM
I assume you mean bagging the three points for us at Wimbledon.
He ran Sunderland ragged too when he came on

Recent at home then next game looked out of his depth since no impact when he's got on.

MillersTime
21-04-2022, 06:43 PM
Agree that calling Freddie Mr 50% is extremely generous, half that at best. No pride in himself, whether he wants to be here or not, have some pride.

Excuses are wearing thin, I can't back it up but it seems obvious to me that the management team think he is a dud. To not get any look in whatsoever in a team that cannot score and need a spark says it all about their opinion of him.

Pocket rocket
21-04-2022, 07:33 PM
Kelly isn’t ready

Lasterman
21-04-2022, 07:38 PM
Don't think there's any chance he will be on the bench, unless we're completely out of options. Nor should he be. These are three *****ly important games and he's totally untested at this level. The time for testing isn't when a failed test is a disaster.

Lolmorgan
21-04-2022, 08:00 PM

I wouldn’t describe a part time Irish player 26yrs old as one for the future.

Stovicmiller
21-04-2022, 08:41 PM
Kelly isn’t ready. If Kelly isn’t ready now for league one then he won’t be ready for the championship if we get promotion. It’s a totally illogical signing. If we were signing someone in the jan transfer window then it should have been for this season. Total **** up by the club .

Miller Nez
21-04-2022, 08:53 PM
Wasn't he supposed to be the hottest property and getting rave reviews in the Irish league when we signed him ?

Pocket rocket
21-04-2022, 09:06 PM
. If Kelly isn’t ready now for league one then he won’t be ready for the championship if we get promotion. It’s a totally illogical signing. If we were signing someone in the jan transfer window then it should have been for this season. Total **** up by the club .

He’s not match fit.
The others are it’s obviously deemed too much of a risk.
I’m not seeing him in training neither have any of us on here.
Not trying to be facetious just saying.

avondalemiller
21-04-2022, 09:15 PM
. If Kelly isn’t ready now for league one then he won’t be ready for the championship if we get promotion. It’s a totally illogical signing. If we were signing someone in the jan transfer window then it should have been for this season. Total **** up by the club .

Couldn't agree more Stovimiller. Remember TS actually mentioned that our inactivity in the Jan window that got us relegated and it wouldn't happen again. So we get a free transfer in when one of our strikers wants away and basically now shows that he's not bothered about playing for us. Result? Failure again TS. Doing things on the cheap again could come back and bite us on the bum. If we do go up, then it may bite us more next season as we need several new players,and he won't fund it. With our recent signings, Odofin, Bola and Kelly who haven't had a handful of starts between them, can you actually blame him for not spending, does he trust our management with his money? I'm not sure at all..........................UTM.

caytonmiller
21-04-2022, 09:44 PM
He won't play this season

CASPER-64-FRANK
21-04-2022, 10:04 PM
He won't play this season

If we beat Oxford Saturday... XD... and beat Sunderland Tuesday... XD......

He may get some game time v Gillingham.

He was playing catch up in his fitness, he was doing fine, well enough to be on the bench as a unused sub against Wimbledon away.
Management considered playing him in the Papa John's against Hartlepool unfortunately he had a recurring calf injury that set him back 3 to 4 weeks.

Timbertop
21-04-2022, 10:26 PM
Begs the question about Scott's scouting capabilities. Agreed the Irish league corresponds to lower level National Lge but there is talent there. Check out Oxford's centre half Mc Nally on Saturday.

avondalemiller
21-04-2022, 10:35 PM
Begs the question about Scott's scouting capabilities. Agreed the Irish league corresponds to lower level National Lge but there is talent there. Check out Oxford's centre half Mc Nally on Saturday.

Timber, don't think it's his ability to spot talent, it the price range of players he's scouting. He brought Maupay to Brentford and sold to Brighton for over £40M?,,,,,,,,,but Brentford paid over £1M for him........TS wont ever spend anything like that on a player, no matter who scouts him. Scotty was scouting in Harrod's, now in Aldi at best. That's why we're stuck in this rut of up, down, up, down, and hopefully up.

CAMiller
21-04-2022, 10:47 PM
Timber, don't think it's his ability to spot talent, it the price range of players he's scouting. He brought Maupay to Brentford and sold to Brighton for over £40M?,,,,,,,,,but Brentford paid over £1M for him........TS wont ever spend anything like that on a player, no matter who scouts him. Scotty was scouting in Harrod's, now in Aldi at best. That's why we're stuck in this rut of up, down, up, down, and hopefully up.

As Crash mentioned on the food thread, faggots and onion gravy is what you get at Aldi. Only time will tell if Kelly is even that appetising XD

Stovicmiller
22-04-2022, 07:22 AM
He won't play this season just like to apologise for something I said to you. I said you were up your own arse and I was out of order, should not have said it .

Townerslovechild
22-04-2022, 09:40 AM
At the start of the January window we had 4 fit strikers, at the end of it quite surprisingly no one had left,and we had fetched in another one making 5.
We were flying high at the top of the league at the time, how many forwards is a club like Rotherham suppose to carry ?
I dont remember any of the soothsayers on here saying it was a crap transfer window then ,hindsight is wonderful isn't it.

Derbymiller
22-04-2022, 09:55 AM
The Kelly signing was strange, warne said before we signed him that we couldn't afford him, which was a strange comment about a bloke that can't even get on the bench. I still go with the view, it was done without Warnes full support and so he is not going to play.

Ronners
22-04-2022, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=Townerslovechild;40025616]At the start of the January window we had 4 fit strikers, at the end of it quite surprisingly no one had left,and we had fetched in another one making 5.
We were flying high at the top of the league at the time, how many forwards is a club like Rotherham suppose to carry ?
I dont remember any of the soothsayers on here saying it was a crap transfer window then ,hindsight is wonderful isn't it.[/QUOTE

Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing Tlc and nobody could have foreseen what would happen to our strike force at that time. However, we did fetch in, as you have pointed out, another attacker which we ended up desperately needing, but who then hasn't kicked a ball for us so whilst I agree we couldn't have seen all our strike force picking up injuries, I personally would have expected Kelly to have been reasonably fit enough to have played before now and help the cause. UTM

vaterland_miller
22-04-2022, 10:53 AM
Has anyone here seen Kelly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOLc3jwvvtw

Stovicmiller
22-04-2022, 11:13 AM
At the start of the January window we had 4 fit strikers, at the end of it quite surprisingly no one had left,and we had fetched in another one making 5.
I dont remember any of the soothsayers on here saying it was a crap transfer window then ,hindsight is wonderful isn't it.. JJ not ready for league one, ladapo put in a transfer request, Griggs who many on here didn’t rate who is now a world beater since injured. Plus smith. On paper yes we had four forwards but how many did we really have ?. We have brought in a forward who many think doesn’t exist, maybe he’s a virtual player. If you bring a player in it should be with the intention of playing him at some point. You mentioned the soothsayers, have you actually looked back to see if anyone said it was a crap transfer window ?. I would be surprised if I didn’t say something along them lines . Maybe I’m wrong tho .

gru
22-04-2022, 11:53 AM
January window Tutu more miss than hit he doesn't really fit in with the way we play. Kelly no idea he could be the player to make that difference get us promoted without need of the play-offs. I can't see what we've got to lose starting him. Ladapo wants to leave on tues performance can't see how we can pick him. Kayode not ready. Otherwise just play Smith lone striker 4-5-1

Victor

Edmunds Green Ihiekwe Wood Harding

Chioe Rathbone Odoffin Barlaser Wiles

Smith

Kelly on the bench 1st change up front. Wiles on the left.

Masbroughstreet
22-04-2022, 12:48 PM
The Kelly signing was strange, warne said before we signed him that we couldn't afford him, which was a strange comment about a bloke that can't even get on the bench. I still go with the view, it was done without Warnes full support and so he is not going to play.

Warne said before he signed him that he had to get one striker out before he could get another in, I don't remember him ever saying we couldn't afford him in the sense that his wages were too much? More that it was a case of one out, one in. Unless I've remembered it wrong? Suppose it depends on how you interpret it. Obviously that changed and we able to bring him in, but Warne said from day one that he was signed with an eye on next season rather than this so he's done exactly what he said he would.

What makes you think he was signed without the full support of Warne?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/millers-manager-warne-says-a-deal-for-kelly-looks-unlikely-3536077

Pocket rocket
22-04-2022, 12:56 PM
Warne said before he signed him that he had to get one striker out before he could get another in, I don't remember him ever saying we couldn't afford him in the sense that his wages were too much? More that it was a case of one out, one in. Unless I've remembered it wrong? Suppose it depends on how you interpret it. Obviously that changed and we able to bring him in, but Warne said from day one that he was signed with an eye on next season rather than this so he's done exactly what he said he would.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/millers-manager-warne-says-a-deal-for-kelly-looks-unlikely-3536077

Because we’re not promoted yet. The fans need someone to blame.
Warne TS anyone but the more conspiracy theory’s the better.

Derbymiller
22-04-2022, 01:01 PM

you might be right that is how he worded it, however I go back to a previous point that wasn't the message from TS before the accrington game, so all seems a little strange. I posted before about the kelly signing feeling strange, I have no other reason than a gut feeling.
If we were in a situation in January where it was one in and one out, and we knew there was a good chance Freddie would leave then signing a player for the following season seems very weird, what a waste of a signing in a season where you want to strengthen to push for auromatic promotion. If we look at the last few seasons in the january window (accepting it isn't easy, but we do have full time employees whose only job is to identify and sign players) we don't do very well and we leave ourselves just short of what is needed. We keep hearing that we won't make that mistake again, but we repeat it, the club doesn't seem to be able to navigate through teh January window very well.
At Rotherham United with a limited budget, signing a player in January that you have little intention to even try until the following season, is plain stupid

MillersTime
22-04-2022, 01:05 PM

Yeah fair point about what was said in terms of Kelly being a project for next season. No broken promises on that front. I suspect the heightened frustration (beyond not signing a 'ready to go' striker instead) is that given our current issues up top (although creativity is a bigger issue IMO), we can't seem to get anything out of him. Even if he is a project, surely he can give us 20 minutes?

Then again if he really isn't ready (if not for ability being the issue as I can't quite swallow fitness still being the problem without a raised eyebrow of suspicion) it wouldn't be fair on him. But if Plymouth were after him then surely they weren't going to sign a mid 20s guy for next season only also? I mean they might have done but would seem odd. Not exactly the stereotypical age for a project. I also get how in a crucial time he is tending to go with tried and tested in Freddie, although unsuccessfully so far. JJ isn't really getting a look in either at the moment.

A strange one.

Stovicmiller
22-04-2022, 01:31 PM
you might be right that is how he worded it, however I go back to a previous point that wasn't the message from TS before the accrington game, so all seems a little strange. I posted before about the kelly signing feeling strange, I have no other reason than a gut feeling.
If we were in a situation in January where it was one in and one out, and we knew there was a good chance Freddie would leave then signing a player for the following season seems very weird, what a waste of a signing in a season where you want to strengthen to push for auromatic promotion. If we look at the last few seasons in the january window (accepting it isn't easy, but we do have full time employees whose only job is to identify and sign players) we don't do very well and we leave ourselves just short of what is needed. We keep hearing that we won't make that mistake again, but we repeat it, the club doesn't seem to be able to navigate through teh January window very well.
At Rotherham United with a limited budget, signing a player in January that you have little intention to even try until the following season, is plain stupid. Agree with most of that . Especially the plain stupid ending.

Stovicmiller
22-04-2022, 01:36 PM
Because we’re not promoted yet. The fans need someone to blame.
Warne TS anyone but the more conspiracy theory’s the better. we all want the same thing but the scarlet pimpernel signing is a strange one. We have limited funds so we sign a player not for this season but the next. No one knows if he’s good enough for league one never mind the championship.

Ronners
22-04-2022, 02:10 PM
we all want the same thing but the scarlet pimpernel signing is a strange one. We have limited funds so we sign a player not for this season but the next. No one knows if he’s good enough for league one never mind the championship.

Absolutely correct, I am a massive PW fan but for the life of me I struggle to get my head around this situation. UTM

Pocket rocket
22-04-2022, 02:24 PM
we all want the same thing but the scarlet pimpernel signing is a strange one. We have limited funds so we sign a player not for this season but the next. No one knows if he’s good enough for league one never mind the championship.

I agree it seems strange. I also can understand the frustration. For me we are 1 day away from a massively important game and I would like to see us get behind everyone at the club.
We should have the inquest at the end of the season.

Just my opinion we need 6 points let’s just back the team and manager see what happens.
If we don’t t go up questions will need answering about numerous things.
They don’t t need answering yet though considering what’s at stake.

Ronners
22-04-2022, 02:57 PM
I agree it seems strange. I also can understand the frustration. For me we are 1 day away from a massively important game and I would like to see us get behind everyone at the club.
We should have the inquest at the end of the season.

Just my opinion we need 6 points let’s just back the team and manager see what happens.
If we don’t t go up questions will need answering about numerous things.
They don’t t need answering yet though considering what’s at stake.

You are also correct Pocket, I will always back our manager and we need to lift the team tomorrow, Oxford will be just as nervous as we are that's for sure. UTM

Pattylallacks2
22-04-2022, 03:06 PM
You are also correct Pocket, I will always back our manager and we need to lift the team tomorrow, Oxford will be just as nervous as we are that's for sure. UTM

Nerves are good, fear and apprehension aren't. The first goal is going to be absolutely massive tomorrow. I think it will be scored by Michael Smith and I will be roaring my support from the first whistle. I will also stay until the final whistle even if I have to wait an extra 10 minutes for my after match pint.
COME ON YOU REDS

Ronners
22-04-2022, 03:17 PM
Nerves are good, fear and apprehension aren't. The first goal is going to be absolutely massive tomorrow. I think it will be scored by Michael Smith and I will be roaring my support from the first whistle. I will also stay until the final whistle even if I have to wait an extra 10 minutes for my after match pint.
COME ON YOU REDS

Nice point regarding nerves as opposed to fear Patty, but last Saturday we didnt play with fear against Ipswich, at least as far as I could tell, but then we looked full of fear against Burton and regardless of Burtons early goal, we have to have the strength of mind to overcome these set backs and play our own game.......I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, should be a great atmosphere again. UTM

CASPER-64-FRANK
22-04-2022, 03:22 PM
you might be right that is how he worded it, however I go back to a previous point that wasn't the message from TS before the accrington game, so all seems a little strange. I posted before about the kelly signing feeling strange, ** I have no other reason than a gut feeling.**
At Rotherham United with a limited budget, signing a player in January that you have little intention to even try until the following season, is plain stupid

You may want to see your GP about your " gut feeling".
You couldn't be further from the truth.
They were keeping tabs on Kelly in May 2021.
Rob Scott and Chris Trotter went over to Ireland to watch him play.
If Paul Warne didn't want him who did want him before TS sanctioned the deal?
Have you seen the complimentary things PW has said about Kelly?

Kelly is the archetypal type of player PW likes, an out and number 9 who attacks the ball when it comes into the area.
It's a big step up from part-time to full-time even in League 1.
The intention is to improve his game and Kelly is happy to go along with that.
Some maybe some are expecting too much too soon from Kelly.

CAMiller
22-04-2022, 03:27 PM

Kelly is the archetypal type of player PW likes, an out and number 9 who attacks the ball when it comes into the area.
Some maybe some are expecting too much too soon from Kelly.

Great post Casper.

Unfortunately our 'capitulation' has resulted in the fans worshiping false Gods in the hope that they can answer our prayers XD

CASPER-64-FRANK
22-04-2022, 03:32 PM
Great post Casper.

Unfortunately our 'capitulation' has resulted in the fans worshiping false Gods in the hope that they can answer our prayers XD

If he played him against Oxford and he looks off the pace or has a recurrence of his two previous calf injuries the Management team would be crucified on Social Media.

CAMiller
22-04-2022, 03:39 PM
If he played him against Oxford and he looks off the pace or has a recurrence of his two previous calf injuries the Management team would be crucified on Social Media.

They'd be a bit late for crucifixions, they were last Friday ;D

Ronners
22-04-2022, 03:44 PM

The thing is Frank that nobody knows what might happen with injuries, we bought Kelly for the future ,yes of course we did, but we potentially buy all players for the future and have been fairly good at doing it in recent seasons.
PW didnt do himself any favours the other week by not starting Chieo against Shrewsbury citing a tight hamstring, and then he played all 2nd half in that game and went on international duty to play all but 8 minutes of 2 games in 4 days, sometimes he has to roll the dice and see what happens. UTM

Pattylallacks2
22-04-2022, 03:51 PM

Presumably with enails

Stovicmiller
22-04-2022, 04:13 PM

Some maybe some are expecting too much too soon from Kelly. 5mins on a football pitch would be nice . How can Kelly improve his game if he doesn’t play in any games .

Stovicmiller
22-04-2022, 04:23 PM
If he’s not up to speed now in this league it’s unlikely he feature next season in the championship if we are promoted. Will he be taking up one of the squad places next season and not playing.

CASPER-64-FRANK
22-04-2022, 04:51 PM
5mins on a football pitch would be nice . How can Kelly improve his game if he doesn’t play in any games .

If he’s not up to speed now in this league it’s unlikely he feature next season in the championship if we are promoted. Will he be taking up one of the squad places next season and not playing.

The intention was to play him against Hartlepool unfortunately he had another calf injury which took another three weeks to recover.
He would have had game time and as we know results went down the pan.
Kelly knew he wouldn't be first choice and we signed him on a three and a half year deal.
He would be the replacement if Smith decides to move.
He's a lovely lad, wants to improve and wants to be at the club.
5 minutes here and there won't make a difference apart from showing fans he does exist.

In an ideal world Freddie would have gone in January, Grigg wouldn't have had his season curtailed, JJ wouldn't have got injured.

Back of the net
22-04-2022, 05:01 PM
The intention was to play him against Hartlepool unfortunately he had another calf injury which took another three weeks to recover.
He would have had game time and as we know results went down the pan.
Kelly knew he wouldn't be first choice and we signed him on a three and a half year deal.
He would be the replacement if Smith decides to move.
He's a lovely lad, wants to improve and wants to be at the club.
5 minutes here and there won't make a difference apart from showing fans he does exist.

In an ideal world Freddie would have gone in January, Grigg wouldn't have had his season curtailed, JJ wouldn't have got injured.

Will you stop talking sense Casper please.

Ericsladkilnhurst
22-04-2022, 05:49 PM
The thing is Frank that nobody knows what might happen with injuries, we bought Kelly for the future ,yes of course we did, but we potentially buy all players for the future and have been fairly good at doing it in recent seasons.
PW didnt do himself any favours the other week by not starting Chieo against Shrewsbury citing a tight hamstring, and then he played all 2nd half in that game and went on international duty to play all but 8 minutes of 2 games in 4 days, sometimes he has to roll the dice and see what happens. UTM

If we bought Kelly for the future, the club ought to have got a striker in for now, could have given a striker released
by his club in January, a short term deal, benefit the team, not a lot of wages given out.
still say we should have kept Proctor, who is scoring goals in league two.

Grist_To_The_Mill
22-04-2022, 05:55 PM
Will you stop talking sense Casper please.

“ he’s a lovely lad”

Give me a nasty one with attitude every time

Certainly not one who just aimlessly wanders about and wants to leave the club

But if Kelly was 100% fit, match ready, raring to go, would Warne be brave enough to play him?

I think not, there will be various reasons trotted out to “ explain” why not because Warne isn’t brave enough to risk him. He will only play Kelly when he has no other alternatives left.

CAMiller
22-04-2022, 06:00 PM

That's a bit of a sweeping statement considering our experience with DB.

I do agree however the Kelly situation is an odd/awkward one and getting worse by the minute. If/whenever he plays and isn't an instant success then everyone will say "Can see why we didn't play him" and on the other hand if he plays and bags a hat-trick in each of his first 3 games everyone will say "Why the F didn't we play him sooner".

Ronners
22-04-2022, 06:01 PM
If we bought Kelly for the future, the club ought to have got a striker in for now, could have given a striker released
by his club in January, a short term deal, benefit the team, not a lot of wages given out.

With Proctors injury record with us at the time Elk that would have been a huge gamble to keep him, and there were at least 3 players ahead of him if he had wanted to stay, although I believe he wanted more game time which we couldn't guarantee anyway. UTM

Ericsladkilnhurst
22-04-2022, 06:04 PM

With Proctors injury record with us at the time Elk that would have been a huge gamble to keep him, and there were at least 3 players ahead of him if he had wanted to stay, although I believe he wanted more game time which we couldn't guarantee anyway. UTM

Yes but who's scoring goals, Ladapo, Kayode or Proctor

CASPER-64-FRANK
22-04-2022, 06:51 PM
“ he’s a lovely lad”

Certainly not one who just aimlessly wanders about and wants to leave the club

But if Kelly was 100% fit, match ready, raring to go, would Warne be brave enough to play him?

I think not, there will be various reasons trotted out to “ explain” why not because Warne isn’t brave enough to risk him. He will only play Kelly when he has no other alternatives left.

Paul Warne describes him as a " warrior " so maybe he has a mean streak in him.
Comes with a good reputation in part time football. Danish, Dutch, two Scottish teams and three English teams were looking to sign him.
I'm prepared to wait while next season to fully judge him.

He certainly looks the part.

He's a nice lad to chat to, intelligent , very positive and willing to learn. Could be a good signing given time.

CASPER-64-FRANK
22-04-2022, 06:56 PM
That's a bit of a sweeping statement considering our experience with DB.

I do agree however the Kelly situation is an odd/awkward one and getting worse by the minute. If/whenever he plays and isn't an instant success then everyone will say "Can see why we didn't play him" and on the other hand if he plays and bags a hat-trick in each of his first 3 games everyone will say "Why the F didn't we play him sooner".

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Wait while Kelly is in pre-season running up mountains..... He might wish he'd signed for Plymouth... Lol.

CASPER-64-FRANK
22-04-2022, 07:40 PM

Ronners, you know how it works.
Chieo will have told the physios about the tight hamstring and then PW made a decision after getting Ogbenes opinion whether he was fit enough to give the team 45 minutes or the full 90 minutes. He can only make decisions on what information he's being given.

Ronners
22-04-2022, 08:52 PM
Ronners, you know how it works.
Chieo will have told the physios about the tight hamstring and then PW made a decision after getting Ogbenes opinion whether he was fit enough to give the team 45 minutes or the full 90 minutes. He can only make decisions on what information he's being given.

Fair enough FRANK he probably was asked, but Ogbene then must have told ROI that he was fully fit to have played all but 8 mins of international football in 2 games over 3 or 4 days.
If Oggy was fit enough for 45 mins against Shrewsbury then for me it should have been the first 45 mins, and who knows he may then have said at half time "I feel ok boss I'll carry on"
The way Chieo plays for ireland he should be taking these league 1 matches by the scruff of the neck, but he seems hesitant and even reluctant at times to take players on, and whilst I fully accept your point about him being asked by PW I believe PW needs to grow a pair at times and make the decision for the player.

welovebooth
22-04-2022, 08:57 PM
I agree if he fit than give him a run can't be no worse.

Him doing pre warm up is getting him to know what pre game build up is like and making him feel part off the team.

Maybe warne think he is a bit inexperienced for what we are going for at the moment.

He knows what ladepo kayode can do.

But I agree if fit get him on from the bench atleast

welovebooth
22-04-2022, 09:01 PM
Fair enough FRANK he probably was asked, but Ogbene then must have told ROI that he was fully fit to have played all but 8 mins of international football in 2 games over 3 or 4 days.
If Oggy was fit enough for 45 mins against Shrewsbury then for me it should have been the first 45 mins, and who knows he may then have said at half time "I feel ok boss I'll carry on"
The way Chieo plays for ireland he should be taking these league 1 matches by the scruff of the neck, but he seems hesitant and even reluctant at times to take players on, and whilst I fully accept your point about him being asked by PW I believe PW needs to grow a pair at times and make the decision for the player.

Growing a pair over injured players nowadays is gone.
If a player /physio saids he is injured what's the point off making the injury worse / only having a 50% fit player on the field. (Unless you really have to)

Having him come on second half I'm guessing will be if we are winning 2'0 etc than won't bring him on/ defenders will be more tired than they was at the start. With his pace etc more off a impact

gru
22-04-2022, 09:07 PM
I agree if he fit than give him a run can't be no worse.

Him doing pre warm up is getting him to know what pre game build up is like and making him feel part off the team.

Maybe warne think he is a bit inexperienced for what we are going for at the moment.

He knows what ladepo kayode can do.

But I agree if fit get him on from the bench atleast

He should know what Ladapo & Kayode can do by now. Not a lot!

Grist_To_The_Mill
22-04-2022, 09:18 PM
He should know what Ladapo & Kayode can do by now. Not a lot!

But our manager thinks Kelly is worse than them

Ronners
22-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Growing a pair over injured players nowadays is gone.
If a player /physio saids he is injured what's the point off making the injury worse / only having a 50% fit player on the field. (Unless you really have to)

Having him come on second half I'm guessing will be if we are winning 2'0 etc than won't bring him on/ defenders will be more tired than they was at the start. With his pace etc more off a impact

Chieo is an important player for us so by that standard of why make the injury worse? then why have him or anyone who is supposedly carrying an injury on the bench?
Your take of why make the injury worse could have happened 2nd half when he brought him on so if he was only half fit and an injury risk dont put him, or anyone in that position on the bench. UTM

avondalemiller
22-04-2022, 09:52 PM
I can understand that Kelly is 1 for the future, but, how long does it take him to get fit enough just to give us 20 mins "in an emergency" like we've got ourselves into? If he WAS bought for the future then what happened to the "there's money available in Jan" signing for the present?
Was it Keegan(?) who said you cant have enough strikers? Probably better to have 1 too many than 1 not enough.....injuries and loss of form are always just around the corner..................utm.

CASPER-64-FRANK
22-04-2022, 09:57 PM
Chieo is an important player for us so by that standard of why make the injury worse? then why have him or anyone who is supposedly carrying an injury on the bench?
Your take of why make the injury worse could have happened 2nd half when he brought him on so if he was only half fit and an injury risk dont put him, or anyone in that position on the bench. UTM

Could be a change in fitness routine.....

Ross Burbeary has left the club..

great_fire
22-04-2022, 09:58 PM
If you watched the Liverpool v MUFC game, the Man U players strolled around looking unmotivated much like Ladapo does and they put a young lad on later who actually put a bit of effort in and a few tackles.

Brin
22-04-2022, 10:31 PM
But our manager thinks Kelly is worse than them

Grist I’m baffled by it all??????????

Grist_To_The_Mill
22-04-2022, 10:50 PM
Grist I’m baffled by it all??????????

Yep me too

Also considering last season where we imploded due to fixture congestion causing player tiredness ( the consensus opinion) was there no lesson learned?

That with our style of play would demand a full squad of experienced players to allow for losing some along the way

So why waste a valuable squad slot on a player that’s either not fit or not good enough to play, or both?

Makes no sense

Brin
22-04-2022, 11:21 PM
Yep me too

Also considering last season where we imploded due to fixture congestion causing player tiredness ( the consensus opinion) was there no lesson learned?

That with our style of play would demand a full squad of experienced players to allow for losing some along the way

So why waste a valuable squad slot on a player that’s either not fit or not good enough to play, or both?

Makes no sense

Indeed. Thing is if you question reason you’re shot down by some on here…. Laughable 🤣 Never known a signing like it.

Ronners
23-04-2022, 04:37 AM

Interesting one is that FRANK and yes you could be right. UTM

Brin
23-04-2022, 05:50 AM
Interesting one is that FRANK and yes you could be right. UTM

Warney mentioned that as the end of season dinner last week. He didn’t say why he was leaving or where he was going though.

Pocket rocket
23-04-2022, 06:43 AM
Indeed. Thing is if you question reason you’re shot down by some on here…. Laughable 🤣 Never known a signing like it.

Don’t think I was shooting anyone down pal 😊
Just think we should debate after Gillingham when we’re promoted 👍🏻😊

millertop
23-04-2022, 06:51 AM

He’s only just left so can’t see that being a factor, it’s probably more to do with us panicking again. Or he just isn’t up to standard which I find strange after Barkers interview when he said he was near ready

flourbasher
23-04-2022, 08:01 AM
Warney mentioned that as the end of season dinner last week. He didn’t say why he was leaving or where he was going though.

He has been head hunted for another job .
Good people leave and move on to further their careers but I haven't read where he's off to either though

millertop
23-04-2022, 08:12 AM
He was supposed to have gone to Lincoln ages ago but still here until now so don’t know if he’s still going there or somewhere else, doesn’t he also have his own business?

Brin
23-04-2022, 09:23 AM
Don’t think I was shooting anyone down pal 😊
Just think we should debate after Gillingham when we’re promoted 👍🏻😊

Weren’t referring to you pal just a general statement in that if you question why players are brought in and never played, you’re supposedly not allowed to question the Managers tactics. 😉

clarkey1974
23-04-2022, 09:33 AM
Just a quick spin around…..we hesitate say he’s not ready and pull out of signing him…he signs for whoever it was Bradford or Plymouth and he racks up goal after goal next season….imagine it on here…

Whats not helped here is he is warming up before games and PW hinted than he will probably be able to make a cameo before and of season…with that in the domain you can see why questions are being asked…

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-04-2022, 09:40 AM
Weren’t referring to you pal just a general statement in that if you question why players are brought in and never played, you’re supposedly not allowed to question the Managers tactics. ��

In a previous life i had an MD that was highly successful, and he still managed to be popular at the same time.

His favourite phrase was "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions"

i often think that there is an element of this at RUFC, support staff bringing problems to PW's office, "he's got a bit of a strain boss", "he might not last 90 minutes", "he's not quite ready for league 1" etc etc etc, but with no real solutions

As PW is a self confessed worrier maybe that's why there's an aversion to risk, ie playing Ogbene further forward, giving Kelly a run out etc. those sort of things don't happen, so we see Wiles playing regularly and ditto Wood, not exciting but "safer bet"

great_fire
23-04-2022, 10:02 AM
In a previous life i had an MD that was highly successful, and he still managed to be popular at the same time.

That was his favourite phrase yet he was still popular?

That's quite a feat.

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-04-2022, 11:00 AM
That was his favourite phrase yet he was still popular?

That's quite a feat.

Indeed, that's why I mentioned it.

It set up a mindset amongst the folks working for him, doing the " it will never fly" attitude didn't work with him.

Everybody felt valued and he would openly discuss ideas.

The company was the top profit making engineering business in Yorkshire 3 years running

sawmiller
23-04-2022, 11:13 AM
...or even outline the problem(s) and explain and offer solution(s)...

Has Kelly played for the Reserves? If so, how has he performed?

welovebooth
23-04-2022, 12:59 PM

Purely down to short off numbers all I can think off.

Like I say if we're winning don't bring him on.

Only bring him on if we have to (ie second half)

welovebooth
23-04-2022, 01:02 PM
Purely down to short off numbers all I can think off.

Like I say if we're winning don't bring him on.

Only bring him on if we have to (ie second half)

On the bench today let's hope he gets on.

What I don't understand is why is he playing wiles off Smith.

Grist_To_The_Mill
23-04-2022, 01:50 PM
On the bench today let's hope he gets on.

What I don't understand is why is he playing wiles off Smith.

The Elliot Ness principle

sawmiller
23-04-2022, 03:20 PM
Didn't we used to play Tree off Smith when he was here?

Brin
23-04-2022, 06:52 PM
So he never made his home debut this season.

It's fair to say the way the game hung in the balance at 2-1 today, that it wasn't a game anyone dare bring him on including me.

Ah well we may get to see him at Sunderland or even Gillingham if things are going the right way for us.

caytonmiller
23-04-2022, 06:52 PM
just like to apologise for something I said to you. I said you were up your own arse and I was out of order, should not have said it .

Did you? I must have missed that or forgotten about it. You know what they say. Don't knock it till you have tried it

mellowmiller
23-04-2022, 06:54 PM

i often think that there is an element of this at RUFC, support staff bringing problems to PW's office, "he's got a bit of a strain boss", "he might not last 90 minutes", "he's not quite ready for league 1" etc etc etc, but with no real solutions

As PW is a self confessed worrier maybe that's why there's an aversion to risk, ie playing Ogbene further forward, giving Kelly a run out etc. those sort of things don't happen, so we see Wiles playing regularly and ditto Wood, not exciting but "safer bet"

Just because you "often think it" doesn't mean there's any truth in it despite what you'd like people to believe.