PDA

View Full Version : Matty Palmer player of season

Rainbowpie
25-05-2022, 04:56 PM
Thoroughly deserved in my opinion
Quality player doing more than he should in midfield

MAD_MAGPIE
25-05-2022, 05:10 PM
An outstanding player and completely deserved. He has been consistent and reliable throughout with high standards being maintained. Very rarely a performance has dipped or something has not worked out. In fact it's easy for the excellence to go unnoticed so pleasing that it's been recognised by this award.

Elite_Pie
25-05-2022, 06:05 PM
Bearing in mind it’s ‘Player of the season’, Matty Palmer would get my vote.

So what’s everyone’s top 5? Mine is:

1. Matty Palmer
2. Kyle Cameron
3. Kyle Wootton
4= Ruben Rodrigues
4= Cal Roberts

Rainbowpie
25-05-2022, 06:09 PM

1. Matty Palmer
2. Kyle Cameron
3. Kyle Wootton
4= Ruben Rodrigues
4= Cal Roberts

That's a tough one

1. Matty Palmer
2. Kyle Cameron
3. Ruben Rodrigues
4. Kyle Wootton
5. Adam Chicksen

Rainbowpie
25-05-2022, 06:10 PM

1. Matty Palmer
2. Kyle Cameron
3. Kyle Wootton
4= Ruben Rodrigues
4= Cal Roberts

or 5 Richard Brindley

laddo
25-05-2022, 06:15 PM
That's a tough one

1. Matty Palmer
2. Kyle Cameron
3. Ruben Rodrigues
4. Kyle Wootton
5. Adam Chicksen

That's my top 5 also. Thr toe 3 is set and clear of the rest, Woots 4th and tbh a few interchangeable valid options for 5th but Chicksen seems to have improved as the season went on so he gets my vote.

The top 2 have been so consistent all season and are huge losses when not involved, and Ruben has been a goals and assist machine.

Big Bob
25-05-2022, 06:17 PM
Well deserved

slack_pie
25-05-2022, 07:11 PM

1. Matty Palmer
2. Kyle Cameron
3. Kyle Wootton
4= Ruben Rodrigues
4= Cal Roberts

1. Ruben (where would we have finished without his goals and assists?)
2. Palmer
3. Wootton
4. Cameron
5. Roberts

kill_the_drum
25-05-2022, 07:21 PM

1. Matty Palmer
2. Kyle Cameron
3. Kyle Wootton
4= Ruben Rodrigues
4= Cal Roberts

I agree with this.
I’d possibly swap Wootton and Cameron purely based on Cameron’s time spent injured.
If we had a ‘most improved’ it would be Chicksen. I think he’s been great this season and has played CB/LB/WB.

Elite_Pie
25-05-2022, 07:41 PM
If we had a ‘most improved’ it would be Chicksen. I think he’s been great this season and has played CB/LB/WB.

Chicksen was the hardest one to leave out. Under Ardley he seemed a waste of a wage, but this season he's shown what he can offer.

Mark_Ross
25-05-2022, 07:44 PM

Congratulations MP.

I haven't seen that many games, but for me Palmer has always been outstanding. Assured & in control, even when we are (alas) being overrun in midfield. A really useful capture. We must keep him.

Magpies1959
25-05-2022, 08:34 PM
1. Palmer
2. Rodrigues
3. Cameron
4. Wootton
5. Chicksen

jackal2
25-05-2022, 09:07 PM

Totally agree. Well done, Matt.

Magpies1959
25-05-2022, 10:07 PM
It was great to read what Palmer had to say about winning his award. So glad that he is looking forward to next season already.
I don't know if anyone else noticed his work rate late on In the game on Monday, (fitness levels through the roof) and his reaction to their goals. He was visibly hurting mentally, but that just spurred him on to work harder.
If you think Wootton or Rodrigues are/would be hard to replace, then treble it for Palmer.
Imagine a tall, gutsy ball winner with the engine of a fully match fit Vincent, along side him.

the_anticlough
26-05-2022, 12:45 PM

Yes, absolute no-brainer and a clear distance ahead of other candidates IMO

laddo
26-05-2022, 01:31 PM

Mid-table?

He's been a machine. Close whether I had him second or third, but he has to be top 3 for me! Palmer is right to win for his consistency and high level perfomances throughout the seasonm

TSANHO
26-05-2022, 02:21 PM
I think Rainbow pie got the top 5 spot on actually.

Matty Palmer has been head and shoulders our best player since the day he arrived. Rodrigues has also had an excellent season….but the work of Palmer brought the best out of him, not the other way around.

Imagine if we had a couple of physical midfielders to play alongside Palmer next season…as well as somehow keeping Rodrigues, signing a new and more mobile target man, a new beast of a centre half, a couple of new wing backs…and a new manager….nothing will stop us then!

Elite_Pie
26-05-2022, 02:55 PM
Yes, absolute no-brainer and a clear distance ahead of other candidates IMO

Ruben's goals and assists have been crucial, but for me he's had too many fairly anonymous games to rate any higher.

The ability is undoubtedly there, but the consistency has been lacking.

laddo
26-05-2022, 03:05 PM
Ruben's goals and assists have been crucial, but for me he's had too many fairly anonymous games to rate any higher.

Statistically speaking he's been noticeably more productive and consistent away from home than at Meadow Lane, that may have coloured your opinion somewhat.

Rainbowpie
26-05-2022, 03:18 PM

Totally agree with this and TSANHO
Without Palmer i don't think Ruben gets as many goals or assists. But like elite says Ruben does have the ability to turn any game it's just his consistency for me
He also sometimes overplays when a simple pass is more beneficial for the team which can be frustrating. But i suppose this has to be accepted as part of his game because when it comes off it does create chances and look great

the_anticlough
26-05-2022, 05:11 PM
I think Palmer has got a gratitude vote in being a CM fans can trust and agree on - then it's become a trend and conventional wisdom.

I think he's better than Reeves but not a whole lot better - but Reeves is a FL midfielder and Palmer plays in the semi-pro NL, there's no getting away from that.

Was it Reeves and Doyle that got us as far as the Semis last year? I don't think so, it was more about Ruben taking the season by the scruff of the neck when we sinking further and further down into mid-table.

Palmer for Reeves is maybe the most significant first-team change this season. What difference did it make. Better than 5th? Did we reach the semis? Didn't the rest of the team prove they could get there anyway? That's not a whole lot of impact, not a 'Player of the season's' worth

Nobody will change my mind that a nigh on 40 goal involvement beats just a handful and being steady in CM. Did he run the show? Show outstanding leadership? Drive us to greater heights? No on all counts, it's a 'follow the crowd' pick for the reasons suggested above. Or maybe we just don't like flashy stuff like goals, assists, skill, creativity, providing the game highlights virtually every time. Maybe next season we can watch a lot of down-to earth 0-0 draws, noble 0-1 defeats and everyone will be happy.

Elite_Pie
26-05-2022, 05:26 PM
Was it Reeves and Doyle that got us as far as the Semis last year? I don't think so, it was more about Ruben taking the season by the scruff of the neck when we sinking further and further down into mid-table.

You make it sound like a one-man team! Ruben has played more games this season, so why why did we not improve?

If the subject was 'Most talented Notts player' then I would give it to Ruben with Cal second. The problem is that neither used that talent on a consistent enough basis, and in my opinion both had too many poor to average games to be a contender for the thread title.

Rainbowpie
26-05-2022, 05:28 PM
I think Palmer has got a gratitude vote in being a CM fans can trust and agree on - then it's become a trend and conventional wisdom.

I think he's better than Reeves but not a whole lot better - but Reeves is a FL midfielder and Palmer plays in the semi-pro NL, there's no getting away from that.

Palmer for Reeves is maybe the most significant first-team change this season. What difference did it make. Better than 5th? Did we reach the semis? Didn't the rest of the team prove they could get there anyway? That's not a whole lot of impact, not a 'Player of the season's' worth

Nobody will change my mind that a nigh on 40 goal involvement beats just a handful and being steady in CM. Did he run the show? Show outstanding leadership? Drive us to greater heights? No on all counts, it's a 'follow the crowd' pick for the reasons suggested above. Or maybe we just don't like flashy stuff like goals, assists, skill, creativity, providing the game highlights virtually every time. Maybe next season we can watch a lot of down-to earth 0-0 draws, noble 0-1 defeats and everyone will be happy.

You can't lay the blame for Notts finishing worse off this year than last to the midfield alone
It's had its frailties but this is down to the partners of Palmer and others around him. Comparing Palmer and Reeves is unfair as they played in Different teams playing different styles. And more often than not Palmer has to do 2 man's work
Rodriguez is a great player, gathers the ball fantastically turning away from his marker. No doubt a great talent. But he can go missing for long periods in games and some times overplays.
If you like the flare players that catch your eye because they do something special occasionally then that's fair enough
Personally i look for a player who performs to at least a 7.5 every game, breaks up attacks, plugs gaps, works tirelessly, plays a simple pass but can also cut defenses in half with killer passes. Delivers outstanding dead ball crosses
Each to their own but seems the majority agree

the_anticlough
26-05-2022, 05:35 PM
I saw plenty of 6/10s from Palmer myself. Lots of 7s and no 5s, that's great - but I value game-changing moments a lot more.
I don't think fans noticed when Palmer was ordinary or worse, they'd just decided he was doing well without looking at the real impact.

the_anticlough
26-05-2022, 05:41 PM
Each to their own but seems the majority agree

Yeah sure, but I know the majority is dead wrong in this case - conventional wisdom, copy cat thinking.
I hope we enjoy the gap plugging, the simple passes when the creativity, and actual impact measurable in goals, is long since gone.

Elite_Pie
26-05-2022, 05:47 PM
I saw plenty of 6/10s from Palmer myself. Lots of 7s and no 5s, that's great - but I value game-changing moments a lot more.
I don't think fans noticed when Palmer was ordinary or worse, they'd just decided he was doing well without looking at the real impact.

I saw some great skills and game-changing moments from Ruben, but I also saw some 5/10 performances where he continually took the wrong options and struggled to get into the game.

Please don't take this as an anti-Ruben post because I really like him and would be delighted if he was still here next season. Unlike you, I value overall contribution more than game-changing moments, that's why Palmer was my choice.

Now where has my flock gone?

the_anticlough
26-05-2022, 05:54 PM
I value overall contribution more than game-changing moments, that's why Palmer was my choice.
Now where has my flock gone?

'Overall contribution' is not so easy to define as you think - overall contribution to what? Putting the ball in the actual onion bag and assisting many others do do likewise, at a rate about 8 times greater than the other, pays a pretty hefty tribute to 'overall contribution' in my book.

And you can't see your flock cos you right in the middle of it, can't see the wool for the sheep ;)

Rainbowpie
26-05-2022, 05:55 PM
Yeah sure, but I know the majority is dead wrong in this case - conventional wisdom, copy cat thinking.
I hope we enjoy the gap plugging, the simple passes when the creativity, and actual impact measurable in goals, is long since gone.

So because the majority agree then it's a case that people lose the ability to make a decision based on what they see just because it's different to yours?
Just because their opinion is different to yours doesn't mean their dead wrong, it means they look for something different in a player. Palmers consistency is a double edged sword.
Because he performs every game to a high standard, it's expected every game.

Without all the gap plugging and simple passes and breaking up play then Notts would concede many more goals than they already do. So what good would Rubens talents be when we're 3 or 4 goals down?
The players must be dead wrong as well because they also voted for him as their player of the year too.

the_anticlough
26-05-2022, 05:59 PM
As I see it, it's beyond debate and just preposterous. I said my bit and will leave it there.
We'll just have to 'agree to disagree'

Elite_Pie
26-05-2022, 06:16 PM
'Overall contribution' is not so easy to define as you think.

Well, I think it's dead easy. To me it's simply who has done most to influence games and earn us points.

And you can't see your flock cos you right in the middle of it, can't see the wool for the sheep.

If I wasn't such a nice polite person, I would tell you where to stick your crook.

TSANHO
26-05-2022, 07:22 PM

And we have a late contender for most ridiculous post of the season!

Fair enough, everyone’s entitled to an opinion….but that post is surely a wind up?

laddo
26-05-2022, 07:52 PM
Palmer is/was wayyyyy better than Reeves. Far more consistent a performer, almost not comparable. Almost.

Saying that it's lazy and easy with that "flair player" comments. Of course Ruben could overplay at times, try to do too much etc same applies to Roberts, same applies to Enzio, same applies to most talented flair players up and down the league's. The difference with Rodriques is he has more work ethic than the other two mentioned, did more off the ball than the other two. He also shows great strength and maintains possession when many similar players don't or can't.

Then add on 19 goals (I'm told hardest thing to do in football is score), then add on all the direct assists he had. Plus on so many match highlights when Notts score he's involved in the build up play and starts it off in midfield. If not he's assisting or scoring.

He's Top 3 this season without a doubt. Wootton got stick for a pretty long drought, and not scoring away from home when we needed him. The same can't be said about Rubes. We are talking he's directly involved in 30 Notts goals this season. That is simply sensational.

I'm amazed not took some on here so long to see it, or hear/read about it

Yes you need the 7/10 players , who never drop below 6 never above 8. But you definitely need the 8 or 9 out of 10 players who win you the game. Even if the odd 5 or 6 is thrown in.

the_anticlough
26-05-2022, 11:37 PM
it's simply who has done most to influence games and earn us points.

Ah, glad you came around to the Ruben camp.

I wasn't such a nice polite person, I would tell you where to stick your crook.

Sticking Russell King anywhere is quite a challenge